Mr. Dom Amore | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mr. Dom Amore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can tell from Borges' blog that he was not happy he couldn't go to the Bahamas. Just as he was not happy that he couldn't go to Maui last year and some of the further away games outside the northeast. How does the JI and Connecticut Post afford to send their beat writers to all the games and the state's 2nd largest daily newspaper can't?

Reaction Score
I don't like how Borges disappears if he isn't travelling with the team. At least say something on the blog. Other than that he's been good for a Providence fan.
Check out Kevin Duffy from CT News. His blog is good, younger guy and you can tell he's passionate about what he does.

Reaction Score
Check out Kevin Duffy from CT News. His blog is good, younger guy and you can tell he's passionate about what he does.

I agree. I am riding the Duff train, Express to New Orleans

Reaction Score
Agree. Des, while passionate, is a horrible writer too. When was the last time the Courant broke a story?
Yup. Des is awful as well. Its unacceptable that they dont know anything about the program/sport they're covering. It's even more absurd that they are horrible writers.

Reaction Score
How many questions has he asked JC? He's not writing more than 3 sentences. JC is probably irritated that he misspells his players names. What do you expect? Write more content and use spell check and come back to me...

Reaction Score
Yup. Des is awful as well. Its unacceptable that they dont know anything about the program/sport they're covering. It's even more absurd that they are horrible writers.
Curious what you're referencing when you're saying that DC doesnt know anything about the program or sport. He's been a football writer for quite some time.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
I'm recently new to this boneyard madness. just joined this month but i love it already. Anyway, I see you all dislike Dom haha and i can see reasons cause of his mistakes etc BUT i go to southern ct university and am taking a sports journalism class and Dom actually teaches it. He's acutally a pretty cool guy, he knows his sports. He was Yankees beat writer for years, he tells us war stories about Jeter and ARod. He's told us he already has had his run ins with Calhoun and asking a "wrong" question. I'm not taking any sides haha just thought It'd be cool to share this info. I always find out about some uconn scoops he has in class haha. I'll make sure to grill him about stuff til semester's end. Maybe i can get him to let me meet JLAMB or Drummond haha. Anyway, I like him haha.

Unh..can Dom or someone there teach you to write, to structure sentences, etc? It would be quite helpful if you plan sports journalism (or even if you keep a diary)

Reaction Score
Curious what you're referencing when you're saying that DC doesnt know anything about the program or sport. He's been a football writer for quite some time.
I was talking about Dom Amore there. Des has good knowledge, but his writing isnt the greatest.

Reaction Score
y0 DRIBBLES my dawggg. this is a unproffesional blogging site maN its like no big deal if i dont uhm structure sentences man, its not like this is homework u kno? its not like the boss of usa today is gonna like read this son. so yeahhh man. haha

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I generally don't get involved with the media bashing here because it's usually mean-spirited without cause and largely misguided.

I get it this time, though.

I don't care about the game articles - you read one post-game article, you've read them all. But his blog posts make me want to throw him into traffic.

I understand that the Courant is a trainwreck to work for these days and some of these guys are being pulled in ten different directions other than writing....but if you put up a blog post and I spend my time clicking it and I get something like this....

UConn freshman Andre Drummond has been named the Big East Conference rookie of the week. Here's the release from the conference:
ANDRE DRUMMOND, Connecticut, F, Fr.
Drummond averaged 11.3 points, 8.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks in a 2-1 week for the Huskies.
In a
78-76 overtime win against No. 20 Florida State in the Battle 4
Atlantis tourney, Drummond posted
12 points, 10 rebounds, seven blocked shots and three steals

......I start thinking of garden implements I'd like to impale you on.

Not only did he not bother to actually write anything, he or whoever posted it was too lazy to see that his cut and paste formatted correctly. That's disrespectful to the reader and not particularly bright given that we have no shortage of places to go for that kind of info.

It's also risky - let's be honest, sportwriting is not exactly a growth industry. When sportswriters leave a job, it's generally not for greener pastures - it's either teaching English or giving handjobs in alleys. It is not a good job market.

So if you have a gig like the Courant's, you cling to it like grim death. But, I'm glad to hear that he's teaching and that he's a decent sort - he just needs to do better. I hope he succeeds.

Reaction Score
I generally don't get involved with the media bashing here because it's usually mean-spirited without cause and largely misguided.

I get it this time, though.

I don't care about the game articles - you read one post-game article, you've read them all. But his blog posts make me want to throw him into traffic.

I understand that the Courant is a trainwreck to work for these days and some of these guys are being pulled in ten different directions other than writing....but if you put up a blog post and I spend my time clicking it and I get something like this....

UConn freshman Andre Drummond has been named the Big East Conference rookie of the week. Here's the release from the conference:
ANDRE DRUMMOND, Connecticut, F, Fr.
Drummond averaged 11.3 points, 8.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks in a 2-1 week for the Huskies.
In a
78-76 overtime win against No. 20 Florida State in the Battle 4
Atlantis tourney, Drummond posted
12 points, 10 rebounds, seven blocked shots and three steals

......I start thinking of garden implements I'd like to impale you on.

Not only did he not bother to actually write anything, he or whoever posted it was too lazy to see that his cut and paste formatted correctly. That's disrespectful to the reader and not particularly bright given that we have no shortage of places to go for that kind of info.

It's also risky - let's be honest, sportwriting is not exactly a growth industry. When sportswriters leave a job, it's generally not for greener pastures - it's either teaching English or giving handjobs in alleys. It is not a good job market.

So if you have a gig like the Courant's, you cling to it like grim death. But, I'm glad to hear that he's teaching and that he's a decent sort - he just needs to do better. I hope he succeeds.

I agree, its like with any job. You can basically do the bare minimal (Don Amore). Or you could put effort into something you do and have fun with it which the readers can pick up on. His blog posts are like watching paint dry. If he posted pictures of his travels or interesting tid-bits/ places that he ate like Mike Anthony did (a few years ago) the blog would be much more enjoyable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you're on to it - he needs to personalize it.

It's blogging, not brain surgery. No need to overthink it - just throw down 300 words once or twice a day and it'll get easy.

Reaction Score
y0 DRIBBLES my dawggg. this is a unproffesional blogging site maN its like no big deal if i dont uhm structure sentences man, its not like this is homework u kno? its not like the boss of usa today is gonna like read this **** son. so yeahhh man. haha

I think we all understand that you are not submitting writing assignments here and you are welcome to post what and how you like, but understand that a complete ignorance of any syntax or grammar makes what you post frustrating to read. And I assume you bothered to post because you want someone to read it. Just a piece of advice, if you possess a basic grasp of the english language I humbly suggest you use it.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
y0 DRIBBLES my dawggg. this is a unproffesional blogging site maN its like no big deal if i dont uhm structure sentences man, its not like this is homework u kno? its not like the boss of usa today is gonna like read this **** son. so yeahhh man. haha

Oh, good to know - haha. Keep writing/spelling as you have above and that is the way you will always write/spell.
People practice hitting the shot, haha, not tossing it over the backboard.

Reaction Score
I agree, its like with any job. You can basically do the bare minimal (Don Amore). Or you could put effort into something you do and have fun with it which the readers can pick up on. His blog posts are like watching paint dry. If he posted pictures of his travels or interesting tid-bits/ places that he ate like Mike Anthony did (a few years ago) the blog would be much more enjoyable.
Couldn't agree more - even his chats are boring. IE he doesn't answer some of the silly questions the readers post.

Reaction Score
did anyone join his chat today, there literally must of been like 5 people in it. He literally doesnt give u anything u dont already know. Its literally like just having a conversation with someone else from the boneyard who will give you their own opinions on the team and not any insight.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
did anyone join his chat today, there literally must of been like 5 people in it. He literally doesnt give u anything u dont already know. Its literally like just having a conversation with someone else from the boneyard who will give you their own opinions on the team and not any insight.

Participated in the first 2 chats, and stopped after how bleak i saw they were.

agreed 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99