OT: - Moving Anxiety | The Boneyard

OT: Moving Anxiety

Reaction Score
I'm a few months away from a move to Monterrey Mexico for 2 years... from North Dakota. I've been hit pretty hard with anxiety in the past week. I have an appointment with a counselor next Tuesday. In the meantime I know we have some medical professionals. I'm definitely leaning towards getting some medication. Any thoughts. Does anxiety medication work? Any other thoughts would be helpful.

Reaction Score
Anxiety meds absolutely work. I have two acquaintances that had severe anxiety and both are different people since getting meds. I don’t know much about what meds they take, although I know one claims that an antidepressant helped her anxiety.

Reaction Score
Stay off meds, sir. And just not move to Mexico.
It's a considerable upgrade in cities. So I definitely want to. But I'm also considering what you say

Reaction Score
I have asked a lot of questions in the past week. Encountered some individuals who have done the same thing. Moved to a new country without knowing lots of people. One individual did mention they used medication to get through early stages.

Reaction Score
Yes, medication for anxiety is extremely effective. Most primary care doctors are able to competently prescribe something. It can be either a daily med or something taken as needed. If you’re having something that feels like an anxiety attack, something quick-acting (can be Xanax, doesn’t have to be) can be incredibly helpful. If you’re experiencing something like waves of anxiety, dread, whatever, the meds- especially with some cognitive based strategies- can be enough to help you catch your breath (literally and figuratively) and see things a bit more clearly and calmly.

Reaction Score
It definitely hit me when I was in Monterrey a week ago. The reality of it. I'm aorta fortunate because the anxiety comes back frequently. So I can test out the meds before I go. If they don't have an impact here then I'll seriously doubt if they will improve my situation there. That's my current plan. If they help I'll continue with my plan to transfer

Reaction Score
I'm a few months away from a move to Monterrey Mexico for 2 years... from North Dakota. I've been hit pretty hard with anxiety in the past week. I have an appointment with a counselor next Tuesday. In the meantime I know we have some medical professionals. I'm definitely leaning towards getting some medication. Any thoughts. Does anxiety medication work? Any other thoughts would be helpful.
I had a pretty bad deal a long time ago between death and sickness with a dad and brother respectively. Depression on top of social anxiety. Paxil saved me. Look to the future!

Reaction Score
No stigma on the meds, man. There are a LOT of people in a similar boat these days including me. Took my doc a few tries to get the scrip on point but once we got it right....man, it's night and day.

Good luck on the move. One thing I'd suggest is, throw EVERYTHING out. The less you cart around with you, that's fewer decisions you'll have to make and that will help with the anxiety as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have asked a lot of questions in the past week. Encountered some individuals who have done the same thing. Moved to a new country without knowing lots of people. One individual did mention they used medication to get through early stages.
Embrace the new experience. I lived in Mexico City for a year while my wife at the time had to go into rehab in the States, and also for an extended time in Sofia, Bulgaria in a pedestrian Soviet-era flat. And had to figure out Cyrillic. Loved both experiences. Remember that anxiety is in your head - which is not to demean the potential seriousness of it (I've had multiple panic attacks in the USA, but never overseas) - it's something you can adapt to and bring under control, and usually related to projections of things that may never happen and which you couldn't control anyway. If you really feel you need meds, go for it, but most of all, try to enjoy the experience instead of fearing it.

Reaction Score
Anxiety medication does indeed work. But you need to be careful.

Ridiculous, unreasonable deadlines and toxic, backstabbing co-workers at my last job, drove me to a xanax prescription. This was 7-8 years ago. They do help; they take the edge off and help you to remain calm and cope better.

The thing is, meds such as xanax are only meant to be used for relatively short periods of time, not long-term. I guess it depends on the individual, but for me it was easy to start taking them regularly (daily) as opposed to an "as needed" basis. The longer you take them, the more difficult it is to stop taking them. And many doctors will renew your prescription with no questions or counseling (which may be convenient, but it's really not in your best interest).

My sister has been taking xanax regularly for over 10 years. Her hands shake. She won't listen to suggestions to quit. I've been cutting back gradually on my dosage over the past 6 months; another month or two and I'll stop taking it altogether, which I'm proud of.

Storrsroars is right: embrace the experience. Get to be as fluent in Spanish as you can; being able to communicate effectively, automatically gives you an advantage over any adversity you may encounter. Take the meds if you truly need to -- just be careful. Hope this wasn't TMI.

Reaction Score
First of all--tons of respect for coming on here and asking. People hide mental health stuff too much.

I think you'll be surprised by how much a counselor can help. After getting food poisoning an hour into an 18-hour flight last summer and needing to be hospitalized, I had HORRIBLE anxiety about traveling. I was throwing up just thinking about going to South America for a few weeks this summer and nearly canceled the trip around March. My wife forced me to go to a therapist and after a couple of months, I was feeling no physical symptoms at all.

Anxiety can really take a toll on you physically, so please stay in touch with your MD/DO (and dear heavens, don't go to a DNP if they're allowed to practice independently in your state for any psych meds if you can help it).

Whatever happens, I would expect to have to try a few different meds/doses before you find the right one if you opt for meds. I'm mostly dealing with teenagers with anxiety, but just about everyone takes a few tries to get the right pharmacological mix for them.

Is weed legal in Mexico?

Reaction Score
No stigma on the meds, man. There are a LOT of people in a similar boat these days including me. Took my doc a few tries to get the scrip on point but once we got it right....man, it's night and day.

Good luck on the move. One thing I'd suggest is, throw EVERYTHING out. The less you cart around with you, that's fewer decisions you'll have to make and that will help with the anxiety as well.
Totally agree. The less physical baggage to be concerned with, the better.

Reaction Score
I recommend meditation and yoga. And running if you can do it. Long runs of at least 6 miles. Very calming and clears the mind.

Lifting, running etc. is all going to be good for anxiety. If I'm feeling pretty bleh, I'll have a good hard spar/roll at my MMA gym with someone I know won't give me brain damage and I always feel much better.

Reaction Score
Not to be snooty, but if this potential move has you this unnerved you might want to consider not moving there to Mexico. If you need to get out of North Dakota I am sure there are plenty of options where you can get the thrill of being someplace new without giving you the anxiety attack.

Well let me write a few things that might help as I know from my personal experience and I didn't use meds at all (not dissing meds, just saying). And if it doesn't help feel free to ignore it and/or dismiss it as garbage :)

Definitely consult a doctor about meds. There is nothing wrong with that.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a psychiatrist:
As for handling your anxiety if you do decide to move or for any other situation remember to slow down your breathing and inhale for a few seconds and then slowly exhale and even say to yourself in your head, or out loud if no one is around "I will be okaaaaaaaaaay" in a slow elongated voice. When you go through a panic attack your breathing becomes rapid-you want to do the opposite and slow it down.

In a panic attack, your heart starts beating faster and you may feel weird sensations in your limbs or forehead and other symptoms. And what happens is that these symptoms make the person to take notice so they get even more anxious as they "oh my goodness my heart is beating even faster make it slow down make this bad feeling stop"-it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. It's called the anxiety cycle, your heart beats faster (applies to other symptoms), you notice and get more anxious, which in turn makes your heart beat even faster or makes your other symptoms worsen indefinitely.

A psychological solution that people have used that works:
You might think your heart is about to burst, but it won't. Most people don't recognize how fast their heart can beat until you really have a problem. Again, I say this as a disclaimer, everyone is different and I don't know if you have heart problems.

When you feel like a panic attack is about to start, accept it and tell yourself in a nonchalant manner "ok, a panic attack is coming" much like you would notice some clouds and casually say "oh it looks like it's going to ran", you would never panic over rain. Tell yourself you like these symptoms and invite and wish you had more of it in high volume. Yes, I know it sounds dumb and counterintuitive. By doing this you will break the anxiety cycle and the symptoms will decrease-I know this from personal experience. But you have to really wish for greater symptoms you can't be insincere and fake it when in reality you want your symptoms to go away and quickly, that won't work. Once you endured a panic attack do some exercise like running, walking, jump roping, or lift weights to release and diminish the cortisol from your system.

Well, I hope this helps and wish you the best.

Now back to the Conference Realignment board ;) :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stay off the meds, these medications make you flat Stanley

Reaction Score
Don't know if you're an athlete or not.. Activities/exercise that kick in endorphins and exhaust the extra energy (anxiety) that you might have are excellent outlets.. Yoga/transcendental meditation can also create a natural calmness that can be extremely helpful.. Make a friend of change.. You got this

Reaction Score
I'm certinaly not a medical professional...

I get anxiety but now it only seems to ever come late at night which can make sleep very difficult...I've never taken pharmaceuticals and they were pushed on me pretty hard when I was younger. I'm glad I never went down that path. There's anxiety and depression throughout my family and I've seen that pharmaceuticals work and they are not something to take lightly. They need to be managed by your doctor and you, your doctor needs to know everything else that's going into your system, and you need to be careful if you are taking any other drugs pharmaceuticals/recreational/over the counter.

I've seen with my mom and brother that the drugs work and how things can go wrong with these types of drugs in terms of dosing, wrong drugs being prescribed, doctors writing prescriptions they shouldn't be, overprescribing, dependence, stop taking cold turkey etc.

I would try and find alternatives, if the anxiety is crippling they may be for you but you need to speak face to face with people you trust who are trained in this stuff.

Reaction Score
First of all--tons of respect for coming on here and asking. People hide mental health stuff too much.

I think you'll be surprised by how much a counselor can help. After getting food poisoning an hour into an 18-hour flight last summer and needing to be hospitalized, I had HORRIBLE anxiety about traveling. I was throwing up just thinking about going to South America for a few weeks this summer and nearly canceled the trip around March. My wife forced me to go to a therapist and after a couple of months, I was feeling no physical symptoms at all.

Anxiety can really take a toll on you physically, so please stay in touch with your MD/DO (and dear heavens, don't go to a DNP if they're allowed to practice independently in your state for any psych meds if you can help it).

Whatever happens, I would expect to have to try a few different meds/doses before you find the right one if you opt for meds. I'm mostly dealing with teenagers with anxiety, but just about everyone takes a few tries to get the right pharmacological mix for them.

Is weed legal in Mexico?
Only selling it to Americans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom