OT: - Movies you probably never heard of but ought to check out. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Movies you probably never heard of but ought to check out.

Reaction Score
On a bit of a silent movie binge, but my art history professor ran Robert Wiene's "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" as an example of the growing Dada movement. Considered the first horror movie, it has an amazing, hypnotic quality after 100 years.

Reaction Score
If you don't know the genius of Buster Keaton, 1928's "Steamboat Bill Jr." is a great place to start. It contains his most famous visual gag, where the front facade of a house falls around him while he stands in perfect position, untouched by the wreckage.

Reaction Score
On a bit of a silent movie binge, but my art history professor ran Robert Wiene's "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" as an example of the growing Dada movement. Considered the first horror movie, it has an amazing, hypnotic quality after 100 years.

There are lots of silent movies that would definitely fit this category of films that you may not have heard of but should be seen. When I was a teenager in the 1970's my experience in silent film was pretty much limited to "Metropolis" and some Charlie Chaplin silent feature films. But over the years I came find there was so much more out there with silent films that are worth watching, and that are entertaining to boot. Something like Murneau's "Sunrise" is just amazing to watch. As for "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari", it is certainly worth seeing. It was also right at the beginning of German film expressionism, something that would influence American films for years to come.

Edit: One other note. One of the actors in "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is Conrad Veidt, who became one of the biggest stars of the silent era in Germany. He left Germany for good shortly after the Nazis took over. He is probably best known to American audiences for his role as Major Strasser in "Casablanca".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Brother From Another Planet"- directed by John Sayles

About an escaped slave from another planet, who is black and escapes to Harlem, with his extraterrestrial slave catchers in pursuit.

"The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"- Wonderful, hilarious, and touchingly human Australian film about drag queens on a VW bus on their way to the center of the Outback.

"Young Einstein," starring and directed by Yahoo Serious. Hilarious Aussie film that posits that Einstein was an Australian.

"Eat, Drink, Man, Woman"- Wonderful, fabulous little Taiwanese movie by the famous director Ang Lee

Also directed by Ang Lee, "The Ice Storm", which was set in Fairfield County, Connecticut.

Reaction Score
"Brother From Another Planet"- directed by John Sayles

About an escaped slave from another planet, who is black and escapes to Harlem, with his extraterrestrial slave catchers in pursuit.

"Brother From Another Planet" is an excellent choice for this thread, but then again, most films directed by John Sayles would fit in well with this thread. I recall seeing it for the first time during my days at UConn, probably at the old Storrs movie theater. I've seen it a few times, but I haven't seen it in many years. Still, from what I remember of it, this is a film I wouldn't mind acquiring at some point.

Another very good John Sayles directed film is Honeydripper. Sayles films don't get a lot of publicity, but this one got even less than normal even for Sayles. Released in 2007, it is one of the last films Sayles directed. I think it is very good, and my wife just loves it. This film's focus is on a failing blues joint down south around 1950 that is in need of a pick me up. As you might expect, lots of great blues music is featured in this one.

Reaction Score
A great one Cajun. I think there is a tie between that and "Run Silent, Run Deep" for the best sub movies ever made. Could maybe include "Das Boot" if you want to throw in a foreign movie. I get claustrophobic just thinking about the scenes in that one.
yes all three are great .... and you can also add The Bedford Incident

Reaction Score
Three Robert Altman films.

MASH (1970)
McCabe and Mrs Miller (1971)
The long goodbye (1973)

Gosford Park (2001) also belongs to this exalted group.

Reaction Score
Most film fans know Kurosawa, but far fewer know Ozu. One of his early films is "I Was Born, But...." from 1929. While it seems like a series of "Our Gang" shorts put together, it is wonderfully moving and funny.

Reaction Score
Many consider "Tokyo Story" to be Ozu's masterpiece and one of the greatest films of all time. Like many of his films, it's about family drama that seems even more pertinent to our times.

Reaction Score
DeSica's "The Bicycle Thief (or Thieves" has earned its reputation. A relatively simple story of a man who searches for his badly needed bicycle that he uses for work. Although many of us older fans know it, it deserves to be rediscovered and for those who don't know it, I envy you for the discovery.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989)
Cocktail Lounge Piano Duet auditioning for a singer
Jeff & Beau Bridges and Michelle Pfeiffer (aka Suzie Diamond)
Favorite line is from Michelle @4:28 'So, where's the winner?'

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I haven’t read through the entire thread, so I apologize if someone has already listed this one:

Men With Brooms

A 2002 film that tells the hilarious, fictional story of 4 guys, with no prior experience, who become a championship curling team.

Reaction Score
I have an animated suggestion.
"Grave of the Fireflies"
Be warned, this will probably be the most emotionally wrenching animated movie you will ever watch.
(Maybe the most emotionally wrenching film of any type).
It's not the easiest to get a hold of
(I have it in on dvd) but worth the effort.
On edit:
The entire movie is on You Tube!
You were warned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) with Forest Whitaker

Paterson (2016) with Adam Driver

Reaction Score
1) "The Libel"- Dirk Bogarde and Olivia de Haviland 1959 2) "Adventures of a Young Man"-Richard Beymer, Paul Newman 1962 3) "Witness for the Prosecution" 1957- Charles Laughton, Marlen Dietrich

Reaction Score
I would also add 4) "Mr. Lucky"- Cary Grant and Laraine Day- 1943 5) "Laura"- Gene Tierney- 1942

Reaction Score
The Boys of 2nd St. Park should appeal to many on the BY. It is the true story of a group of guys from Brooklyn who grew up playing ball in the 2nd St. park in Brighton Beach and went on to success on the court at Lincoln H.S. in the late 60’s. It came out in 2003 at which time they were in their early 50’s and is the story of their lives in the intervening years. They would now be about 70 so they would be in the same demographic group as many of us on the BY.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do a little thing "Films Worth Viewing" it is into its second year. I preview/review films of all genres and times.
Some times they are films which are somewhat obscure: "I Served the King of England;" other times "Young Frankenstein" they are well known and well loved films worth revisiting. This week among other films I've discussed "The Italian Job" an excellent British Caper Film starring Michael Caine, Noel Coward, and Benny Hill.
This is available on Prime. Today I featured "Wattstax" a 1972 film ostensibly a concert film of Stax artists performing in LA as part of the Watts festival. It is more than a concert film; I called it a time capsule. This one streams for free on YouTube.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Probably someone has already mentioned Rashoman and The Seven Samurai. If not, they have now been nominated.

Reaction Score
If you love Kurosawa, try the lesser known:"Ikiru", "Yojimbo (the template of Sergei Leone Film), "Ran" and "High and Low" are also very good. Since I mentioned Leone; check out "Once Upon a Time in the West" which Henry Fonda as a really bad guy and Bronson as a harmonica player. Even better watch the complete "Once Upon a Time in America."

Reaction Score
The Bicycle Thief was good, but I think much better was “La Strada” (The Road) starring Anthony Quinn. Very moving, poetic, and what a performance by the female co-star!

Reaction Score
I love the movie The Way, Way Back. You absolutely hate Steve Carrell from the opening scene throughout the movie. Sam Rockwell is hilarious and sweet as a summer boss and mentor to a teenager who is struggling to find his way.

Logan Lucky is a funny heist movie with Channing Tatum and Adam Driver. Daniel Craig is awesome as their explosives guy.

Diggstown is another movie that I love. It's about a con job and centers on boxing.

It's Kind of a Funny Story about a boy who must spend time in an adult mental ward after considering suicide is also pretty good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom