OT: - Movies you probably never heard of but ought to check out. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Movies you probably never heard of but ought to check out.

Reaction Score
Lone Star directed by John Sayles (1996). The cast is great: Kris Kristofferson, Matthew McConaughey, Elizabeth Peña, Chris Cooper, and a fabulous cameo by the wonderful Frances McDormand.

Among other things (no spoilers), it explores the tension of three stories-- secrets between parents and their children-- that are interwoven into one, final compelling story with a mind-blowing ending.

I show it to high school seniors and they really have to work through a lot of their own stuff before they can be OK with the whole thing. I can watch it over and over again (and do, because I show it yearly).

I'd forgotten about that one. I remember liking that one a lot.

Reaction Score
"Chef": produced, directed, and written by Jon Favreau. I was hungry through the whole movie. Special attention to the scene where Jon Favreau cooks for Scarlett Johansson.

Reaction Score
For me, a couple of sub-titled films in the seventies by Italian screenwriter and film director, Lina Wertmuller; they made an impression on me at the time.
Swept Away
Seven Beauties (She was the first woman nominated for an Academy Award for Best Director)

Reaction Score
Motorcycle Diaries - 'a 2004 biopic about the journey and written memoir of the 23-year-old Ernesto Guevara, who would several years later become internationally known as the iconic Marxistguerrilla leader and revolutionary Che Guevara. The film recounts the 1952 expedition, initially by motorcycle, across South America by Guevara and his friend Alberto Granado' (Wikipedia)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Three Days of the Condor
IMDB 4 of 5 Rotten Tomateos 86%

In this 1975 thriller, Turner is a bookish CIA researcher based in New York City. Sent to pick up lunch, Turner returns to discover that everyone in his tiny office has been murdered. When an attempt is made on his life, he finds himself on the run from both the CIA and the police.
Box office $27M
Director: Sydney Pollack
Writers: James Grady (novel), Lorenzo Semple Jr. (screenplay)
Stars: Robert Redford (Turner), Max von Sydow, Faye Dunaway, Cliff Robertson

I really like Max von Sydow in this movie -- or any movie. Some interesting dialog throughout this movie. For example:

Max von Sydow as Joubert
  • (Max von Sydow) "Well, the fact is, what I do is not a bad occupation. Someone is always willing to pay."
  • (Robert Redford) "I would find it -- tiring."
  • (Max von Sydow) "Oh, no; it's quite restful. It's almost peaceful. No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause.
What are they talking about? Killing people for money!
“The belief is in your own precision.” I love that movie.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Unless I missed it I can't believe no one mentioned A man for all seasons. I believe it came out in 1967 - my 'middler' year at Northeastern. It was a special time for me and this movie struck a deep chord. Ah to be young, naive and hopeful.

Reaction Score
This little-seen movie was one of the best films of 2015 in my opinion.

Reaction Score
The Corsican Brothers. Douglas Fairbanks Jr. played a dual role and Adam Tinkeroff (?) was a great villain. Meet Joe Black, marvelous cast with Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt in lead roles. A takeoff on Death Takes A Holiday.

Reaction Score
Day of the Jackal - an excellent early 70's covert political assassination thriller:

good movie but I think the book was better. This book, along with the Odessa File, Catch-22 and the World according to Garp I just couldn't put down ... read all through the night. I like the Catch-22 movie but it is one of those that made a lot more sense if you had read the book before you saw it. A couple of movies based on Ludlum novels are worthy: The Osterman Weekend, Holcroft Covenant.

Reaction Score
‘A Serious Man’. Coen Bro’s. movie. Positively brilliant.
’Requiem for a Dream’. Aronovsky dystopia at its best.
’The Machinist’. Christian Bale put his health on the line to get in....shape for this one.

Reaction Score
The Corsican Brothers. Douglas Fairbanks Jr. played a dual role and Adam Tinkeroff (?) was a great villain. Meet Joe Black, marvelous cast with Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt in lead roles. A takeoff on Death Takes A Holiday.

Agreed but the ‘83 Cheech and Chong version ROCKED.

Reaction Score
Exit Through The Gift Shop - Rotten Tomatoes 96%- Exit Through the Gift Shop: A Banksy Film is a 2010 British documentary film, directed by street artist Banksy. It tells the story of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles, and his obsession with street art.

The Battle of Algiers - Rotten Tomatoes 99% - based on events by rebels during the Algerian War (1954–62) against the French government in North Africa; the most prominent being the titular Battle of Algiers, the capital of Algeria. It was shot on location and the film's score was composed by Ennio Morricone. The film was shot in a Roberto Rossellini-inspired newsreel style: in black and white with documentary-type editing to add to its sense of historical authenticity, with mostly non-professional actors who had lived through the real battle.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Paris, Texas
winner of the grand prize at the 37th Cannes film festival
screenplay by Sam Shephard
directed by Wim Wenders (people laughed when I didn't pronounce it as Vim Venders).
I always cry during the final 11 minutes
I think you would enjoy this

1591917750100.png

Reaction Score
The Enemy Below

great movie with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jergens ...... and it just started at 11:30 on FXM
A great one Cajun. I think there is a tie between that and "Run Silent, Run Deep" for the best sub movies ever made. Could maybe include "Das Boot" if you want to throw in a foreign movie. I get claustrophobic just thinking about the scenes in that one.

Reaction Score
Scud, I thought that the early version was actually better, more suspenseful that the later Bruce Willis, Richard Gere one.

Yea, I agree, thats the one I'm talking about- it was great.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
By coincidence, these 2 films involve Moonshiners in Southern states.

1. (1958) THUNDER ROAD: It was filmed in NC, but supposedly, some of the events actually happened in Tennessee. The star is Robert Mitchum, who makes runs delivering moonshine until the day he was involved in a fatal crash. Some scenes actually used authentic moonshiners and their cars.

2. (1970) I WALK THE LINE: This is NOT the life story of Johnny Cash, but Cash does sing many background songs throughout the film. The stars are Gregory Peck, as a sheriff who is chasing moonshiners, and Tuesday Weld, who plays the role of a moonshiner's daughter.
I love the way the songs blend in with the action on the screen.

Reaction Score
Carl Dreyer's 1928 silent film, "The Passion of Joan of Arc", containing arguably the greatest film performance of all time in Renee Falconetti. She never fully recovered after the performance. Pauline Kael noted that it seems more like a documentary. Absolutely unforgettable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom