Movies Anywhere | The Boneyard

Movies Anywhere

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is actually a pretty good service. If you’re not using it, I recommend you start.

It’s an expansion of the Disney Movies Anywhere digital locker - basically, by enrolling in Disney Movies Anywhere, any Disney digital movies purchased on one service would be available on the competing services as well. (E.g. If you had bought Toy Story on iTunes, you could now watch it on Google Play, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Vudu.)

Other studios recently signed on, (Sony, Warner, 20th Century, Universal), and so Disney Movies Anywhere has become Movies Anywhere. Now if you have some movies on Amazon, some on iTunes, etc., you can bring them all in under one umbrella by linking your accounts. (And if you link three accounts, they will also give you five movies....Jason Bourne, the Ghostbusters chick flick, Big Hero 6, Ice Age and the Lego Movie.)

The end result is that all of the orphan movies I either got for free for some reason or bought during some ridiculously low promo price period are now under one roof. We’re partial to Apple TV for movie streaming and that meant I needed to keep a Fire Stick attached if we wanted to see one of the movies on Prime. (Added benefit...Apple seems to be replacing normal HD movies in my library with 4K versions. It’s even happened with some of the movies that are newly available because of Movies Anywhere. The other services do not seem to be following suit.)

I absolutely recommend the service. To make it even more useful, I recommend you open and link a Vudu account to it. If you do, any old movies you might have had through Ultra Violet will be brought into Movies Anywhere. And if you have any BluRay or DVDs lying around, you can get them into the digital service via their Disc to Digital program. (You have to use the app to scan the barcode on the DVD/BluRay.)

Once you scan the barcode, You pay $5 for DVDs or $2 for BluRays to get a digital version.

Reaction Score
So this is Disney's big play after they decided to end their agreement with Netflix huh? Thought maybe they'd go the monthly fee route in order to gain access to a large library of streaming movies. Guess not. This is less inspiring considering the prices for digital ownership, but makes sense for the studios certainly.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So this is Disney's big play after they decided to end their agreement with Netflix huh? Thought maybe they'd go the monthly fee route in order to gain access to a large library of streaming movies. Guess not. This is less inspiring considering the prices for digital ownership, but makes sense for the studios certainly.

No - this service has been out for several years. The big change here is that several other large studios have signed on.

There are people who want to own their favorite movies instead of relying on a streaming service to have it. For those people, this a great service - if, say, Amazon has a sale on movies, you can buy it there and have it everywhere. Or if you buy a BluRay with a digital copy, the digital copy will not be silo’d anywhere.

Disney’s direct streaming service is about two years away - that’s a different animal.

Reaction Score
No - this service has been out for several years. The big change here is that several other large studios have signed on.

There are people who want to own their favorite movies instead of relying on a streaming service to have it. For those people, this a great service - if, say, Amazon has a sale on movies, you can buy it there and have it everywhere. Or if you buy a BluRay with a digital copy, the digital copy will not be silo’d anywhere.

Disney’s direct streaming service is about two years away - that’s a different animal.
Yea I'm familiar with Disney Anywhere actually. The wife's been using it at her school to show her kids some of the Disney movies we've collected over the years. Just been waiting to hear what Disney's plan would be ever since they announced they'd be ending their agreement with Netflix. Guess the wait continues. It is a nice feature for those that have gone all in on digital titles.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They’re still on Netflix until 2019.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is actually a pretty good service. If you’re not using it, I recommend you start.

It’s an expansion of the Disney Movies Anywhere digital locker - basically, by enrolling in Disney Movies Anywhere, any Disney digital movies purchased on one service would be available on the competing services as well. (E.g. If you had bought Toy Story on iTunes, you could now watch it on Google Play, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Vudu.)

Other studios recently signed on, (Sony, Warner, 20th Century, Universal), and so Disney Movies Anywhere has become Movies Anywhere. Now if you have some movies on Amazon, some on iTunes, etc., you can bring them all in under one umbrella by linking your accounts. (And if you link three accounts, they will also give you five movies....Jason Bourne, the Ghostbusters chick flick, Big Hero 6, Ice Age and the Lego Movie.)

The end result is that all of the orphan movies I either got for free for some reason or bought during some ridiculously low promo price period are now under one roof. We’re partial to Apple TV for movie streaming and that meant I needed to keep a Fire Stick attached if we wanted to see one of the movies on Prime. (Added benefit...Apple seems to be replacing normal HD movies in my library with 4K versions. It’s even happened with some of the movies that are newly available because of Movies Anywhere. The other services do not seem to be following suit.)

I absolutely recommend the service. To make it even more useful, I recommend you open and link a Vudu account to it. If you do, any old movies you might have had through Ultra Violet will be brought into Movies Anywhere. And if you have any BluRay or DVDs lying around, you can get them into the digital service via their Disc to Digital program. (You have to use the app to scan the barcode on the DVD/BluRay.)

Once you scan the barcode, You pay $5 for DVDs or $2 for BluRays to get a digital version.

I had Disney Movies Anywhere and transitioned to this a week or two ago. Once I looked into it, it was obviously very useful. I had digital copies on iTunes, Vudu, Ultra Violet and a few other services, so this is ideal. Especially helpful for a dual Androiod/iOS household, so you aren't locked into one platform. As you mention, it also makes them available via so many other systems. I linked to Amazon and Vudu.

I wholeheartedly second your endorsement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom