3) Gigi
4) Carousel
5) West Side Story
6) My Fair Lady
7) Showboat
8) Oklahoma
9) South Pacific
10) Porgy and Bess

Was in Salzburg as a young boy while they were filming Sound of Music, dad was a dept of the army civilian stationed in South West Germany.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think I have only seen 4 movie musicals: Chicago, Les Miserables, Rent and My Fair Lady. Rent had good music, so so plot, and the cast was way too old when they made the movie. Chicago was boring. My Fair Lady was pretty good. Les Miserables was pretty good despite Russell Crowe.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Only one of those I liked was West Side Story.

Rocky Horror didn't make the cut?

Personally, I call A Hard Day's Night and Help! musicals :)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Only one of those I liked was West Side Story.

Rocky Horror didn't make the cut?

Personally, I call A Hard Day's Night and Help! musicals :)

I forgot about Rocky Horror.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmmm top ten. That's tough. One of my favorite genres.

1. Superstar
  2. The Music Man
  3. All That Jazz
  4. Fame
  5. Rent
  6. Rocky Horror Picture Show
  7. Mary Poppins
  8. Fiddler On the Roof
  9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (doesn't necessarily hold up, but was huge for me as a child)
  10. Chicago
HM - Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray, Grease, A Chorus Line, The Wizard of Oz, Cabaret, West Side Story

Curiouser
Reaction Score
  1. Superstar

I love Superstar and am worried about the butchering it is likely to take in the live performance being broadcast on Sunday. Legend doesn't have enough of an edge to play Jesus imo, and Alice Cooper is going to look like Alice Cooper, not King Herod (who was great in the movie).

The biggest issue I have with both the movie and musical versions, however, is that the original album that preceded them both is a far superior performance, one that still rings definitive to my ears (and I say this having listened to it three times so far this week, which I am wont to do every year as Easter approaches).

Reaction Score
I think I have only seen 4 movie musicals: Chicago, Les Miserables, Rent and My Fair Lady. Rent had good music, so so plot, and the cast was way too old when they made the movie. Chicago was boring. My Fair Lady was pretty good. Les Miserables was pretty good despite Russell Crowe.
Check out Brigadoon, my personal favorite. The story alone is worth it, but the music is some of the best that Lerner and Loewe ever wrote. I'm surprised that no one ever tried to make a non musical version of the Brigadoon legend.

Reaction Score
Movie musicals are ones that were not stage shows first. My favorite modern one is Moulin Rouge. The first 40 minutes are a 15 out of 10 and the rest holds its own. Classic era, Singing in the Rain.

Is Porgy and Bess available? It was never released for a long long time and I would love to see it, but never thought about finding it recently. Would love to see Sammy Davis do his thing with it aint necessarily so.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I love Superstar and am worried about the butchering it is likely to take in the live performance being broadcast on Sunday. Legend doesn't have enough of an edge to play Jesus imo, and Alice Cooper is going to look like Alice Cooper, not King Herod (who was great in the movie).
No too many can stand up to Ted Neely's version of Jesus. And I agree, I really liked Josh Mostel's version of Herod.

Reaction Score
That's a good one. Forgot about it, also Grease, JCS, and Fiddler on the Roof. Also "Singing in the Rain".
I just remembered another one, and it was a great one, can't believe I forgot it.

????

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Superstar is really good. Another one I forgot. Carl Anderson was amazing in that movie. He spent most of the rest of his life playing the same role on stage, which surprises me. I would have thought someone that talented would have broken out.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hmmmm top ten. That's tough. One of my favorite genres.

3, All That Jazz

Loved that movie. Oddly it didn't register with me as a musical, but as a movie about making a musical.

Reaction Score
Loved that movie. Oddly it didn't register with me as a musical, but as a movie about making a musical.
It is not a musical. Maybe a dance movie though. It is also the best film by Fosse.

Reaction Score
It's more of a movie with music as opposed to a musical, but I really enjoy Pitch Perfect and find it very re-watchable as it's on constant loop on cable. The sequel was not nearly as enjoyable and I never saw the third installment.

Previously mentioned, but I love West Side Story. This is my favorite scene.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I just remembered another one, and it was a great one, can't believe I forgot it.

????

Always like 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, but it was more for the dance numbers than the actual music.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It is not a musical. Maybe a dance movie though. It is also the best film by Fosse.
There's a lot of musical numbers in it. And Scheider got a Golden Globe nomination for Musical/Comedy . IMDb lists it as a Musical. Hmmm?

Reaction Score
Grease
Sound of Music
Rocky Horror
Wizard of Oz
Sergeant Pepper
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Willie Wonka

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Among those not listed, and excluding Disney animated.

Singing in the Rain
Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Bugsy Malone
The King and I
Wizard of Oz
The Muppet Movie
Oliver!

Many more really.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Mama Mia
Grease2 (Cool Rider carries the day)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger