Movie Hindsight 2020 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Movie Hindsight 2020

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) - On Hulu, a really fun romp with Sam Neill and a young, chubby kid who is a delinquent stuck in the foster system. Set in New Zealand they are on the lam in the bush.

Definitely worth a watch. Some lol moments await.

After the movie we caught a bit of Trading Places (1983). When Billy Ray was in jail check out the jailbird up against the bars. Its a young Gus Fring.

Reaction Score
The Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) - On Hulu, a really fun romp with Sam Neill and a young, chubby kid who is a delinquent stuck in the foster system. Set in New Zealand they are on the lam in the bush.

Definitely worth a watch. Some lol moments await.

After the movie we caught a bit of Trading Places (1983). When Billy Ray was in jail check out the jailbird up against the bars. Its a young Gus Fring.

"Hunt for the Wilderpeople" is a very solid film, well worth seeing.

Funny thing, I caught some of "Trading Places" last night as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Hunt for the Wilderpeople" is a very solid film, well worth seeing.

Funny thing, I caught some of "Trading Places" last night as well.
Hunt is great. Trading Places is peak Jamie Lee.

Reaction Score
Went on a bit of a movie kick this week, even if most were rewatches of old favorites

Knives Out: very enjoyable and thought it was good even if somewhat predicable. Definitely the type of movie I'll rewatch because my memory is terrible and I'll forget half the twists

Murder Mystery (Netflix): this just made me wish I could watch Knives Out again

El Camino (Netflix): prefer to consider this fanfiction over actual Breaking Bad lore but I think it was fine and didn't ruin the feeling from the final season like I expected

Inside Man/Inception/V for Vendetta: all classics that are just as good every time I watch and this was easily the 10th time for each

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Let's put it this way. We liked "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" enough that I got the DVD for my wife as a Christmas gift a few years ago.
I love hearing my wife LOL and this film did that. She loved the kid...fronting like a tough street kid but just under the skin a naive cutie. That slow mo drive by wave when he was driving the pickup truck is classic.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Invisible Man (2020) - Elizabeth Moss (Handmaid's Tale) slays it in this movie about a scientific genius who just can't let go of his woman even after she escapes his abusive grasp. An excellent movie. The entertainment picks up after the first 20 minutes of slow set-up.

The Lodge (2019) - This horror movie sucked antelope balls. And hard. Yet we persevered.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Savages (2012) - Good crime/action movie with a terrible ending. The cast is great, with Aaron Taylor-Johnston and Taylor Kitsch playing best friends and pot dealers in a weird relationship with Blake Lively. They cross a Mexican drug gang (Selma Hayek, Benecio Del Toro), and things get dicey pretty quickly. John Travolta is pretty good as a scumbag DEA agent. Even the secondary characters are well cast, like Emile Hirsch as the buddies' money launderer and Demien Bichir as Hayek's Consigliere.

There are some problems, such as the Taylor Kitsch character borders on being a super-hero, and computer hacking plays a big role, which I think is lazy writing, but it is a great movie up to the end. I saw this years ago, and I couldn't remember why I had this bad impression about the movie in my mind. Until I got to the end, and then I remembered why I promised myself I would never watch this movie again. The ending is so stupid that I was angry I had wasted two hours watching the movie. The book ending was stupid too.

Reaction Score
Grand Canyon (1991)-A Classic that the country really ought to consider watching right now. Steve Martin, Danny Glover and Kevin Kline.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Grand Canyon (1991)-A Classic that the country really ought to consider watching right now. Steve Martin, Danny Glover and Kevin Kline.
I actually was just thinking about this. Phenomenal movie.

I was listening to the Bill Burr podcast and he randomly mentioned one of the Pirates' World Series from the 70s and Roberto Clemente.

This movie has everything and as you say, could really be used right now for a degree of healing.

Reaction Score
"Here Comes Mr Jordan" 1941 a classic Hollywood romp about about body possession. Claude Rains plays a heavenly trip planning supervisor. He must intervene when a mistake has been made. Robert Montgomery was separated from his body 50 years too soon.

Reaction Score
"Here Comes Mr Jordan" 1941 a classic Hollywood romp about about body possession. Claude Rains plays a heavenly trip planning supervisor. He must intervene when a mistake has been made. Robert Montgomery was separated from his body 50 years too soon.

"Here Comes Mr. Jordan" is a wonderful fantasy of a movie, it is a film classic. My wife just loves this one, and we will watch it anytime it shows up on television. It was remade by Warren Beatty as "Heaven Can Wait" in the 1970's. "Heaven Can Wait" is a good and watchable film, but if you compare the two there is no question in my mind that "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" is clearly the better film. In addition to the great Claude Rains, "Here Comes Mr. Jordan also features Edward Everett Horton and James Gleason, two character actors who are always a welcome sight in films from that time period.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - Have never seen this movie. Some network was showing it last night from 7 to 11. Lotta commercials. I tunned in when the FBI guys got on Belfort's yacht.

I just gotta say that Cerebral Palsey Phase scene was Oscar worthy. LOL funny.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - Have never seen this movie. Some network was showing it last night from 7 to 11. Lotta commercials. I tunned in when the FBI guys got on Belfort's yacht.

I just gotta say that Cerebral Palsey Phase scene was Oscar worthy. LOL funny.

If you saw it edited on TV...you didn't really see it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Debby Ryan is another Disney kid I've seen a bit of in movies, haven't paid that much attention to her. Just watched one she starred in from a few years ago "Rip Tide." Surprisingly good I thought. Her mom runs a big modeling agency in NYC, has been steering her daughter toward a career in the fashion industry since she could walk pretty much. Daughter is burnt out and after a bit of a fiasco, runs off to visit her aunt in Australia and take a little break. It was touching but not melodramatic, about dealing with losses, following your passion, real life stuff like that.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Da 5 Bloods (2020) - A Spike Lee Joint. Four black Vietnam Vets go back to Vietnam to retrieve the squad leader left behind and...to get the gold they all found back in the day.

Delroy Lindo with a pretty powerful performance.

There are some 'no freakin' way' moments but overall a pretty entertaining movie. There is a message here. MLK gets some play. And there is a Black Lives Matter salute at the end.

2 1/2 hours.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anyone ever seen "A.C.O.D." from several years ago? Great cast. Billed as a comedy. It's really not. It has some funny moments, but it's actually kinda bleak (maybe that makes it a dark comedy; I've always struggled with that genre). The title is an acronym for Adult Children of Divorce. Maybe the all time worst ambiguous, non ending to a movie I've seen yet. 3 of the male leads (father and two grown sons) dressed in tuxes, outside a church. We don't know which of them is getting married, or to who. Maybe all 3? Maybe none of them? So stupid. They walk in the church and then the credits roll...

And if you watch the credits, there are short interviews with a bunch of the crew from the movie. As you could probably guess, about half of them are ACOD themselves, most from a fairly young age. Some of them their parents remarried numerous times. Of the ACOD crew members, most of them had either gotten divorced themselves, or never married, and never wanted anything to do with marriage. If the movie itself left you wondering, the credits made it clear this is a tragedy, not a comedy. Not sure why it's billed incorrectly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was remade by Warren Beatty as "Heaven Can Wait" in the 1970's. "Heaven Can Wait" is a good and watchable film, but if you compare the two there is no question in my mind that "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" is clearly the better film.
I think you sell "Heaven Can Wait" short. It's very enjoyable, much better than good and watchable. In fact, I just came across a nice essay about the flick that I pretty much agree with. I don't quite like the ending but it was the first place I encountered the concept of dolphin-safe tuna. It was ahead of it's time.

Reaction Score
I think you sell "Heaven Can Wait" short. It's very enjoyable, much better than good and watchable. In fact, I just came across a nice essay about the flick that I pretty much agree with. I don't quite like the ending but it was the first place I encountered the concept of dolphin-safe tuna. It was ahead of it's time.

I hardly think I sold "Heaven Can Wait" short. You just liked it more than I did. Chalk this one up to a bit of a difference of opinion, that sort of thing happens. To me, calling a film good and watchable is hardly a negative thing, but is in fact a positive. On a lark, I just checked the reviews of Roger Ebert and Leonard Maltin, and they both gave "Heaven Can Wait" 3 out of 4 stars. 2 and a half stars would be an average film. Three stars means a good movie to me, and I would agree with that.

By the way, if you haven't seen "Here Comes Mr. Jordon", you might want to check it out some time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Did they try to replace all bombs with words that don't really fit, or was the audio just blank momentarily?
balloon knot was rathole. My wife and I were like what's a rathole?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd been mildly curious about "Red Knot" a while ago, but never got around to it. Most of my interest is because it stars Olivia Thirlby, and also because it's mostly shot in and around Antarctica. It's short at 1:20, the scenery is amazing, so I don't regret watching it. Probably once is more than enough though. Yet another ambiguous indie. If a detail isn't important enough to tell the audience one way or the other (was Thirlby's character pregnant or just seasick; did she and her husband die in the end?), maybe the director doesn't need to hint at it? It's getting to be a really tiresome trope to me. It's a slow paced, character driven movie. Almost nothing happens. A newly wed couple is taking an unusual sorta honeymoon on a research vessel from Argentina heading to the Southern Ocean. He's wrapped up in his work, she begins to feel neglected, and their marriage starts to unravel. Many beautiful scenes of icebergs, the ocean, the sky, glaciers, whales, seals, penguins and other seabirds. I'm a big fan of Thirlby, and she was good in this, so I guess I got what I came for.

I've never been on a research vessel, or anywhere near Antartica...but I have to think that ships like that have protocols that would prevent people from just wandering off into a vast ice filled wilderness. Call me silly, but I couldn't overlook that.

Reaction Score
If you enjoy political films; you should try "Advise and Consent." This is Otto Preminger's version of Drury's novel. It focuses on the process of confirming a Secretary of State by the U>S. Senate. It was Charles Laughton's final film. He plays a salty, devious, Southerner who has been in the Senate for 40 years. He opposes the nomination of Robert J. Leffingwell, Henry Fonda. This has one of the best casts ever: Walter Pidgeon, Gene Tierney, Peter Lawford, Burgess Meredith, Don Murray, Franchot Tone, and Lew Ayers. The Senate isn't like that anymore, but I was an intern several years after the film came out, and I can testify to the accuracy of the portrayal even to senators using public transportation. Great performance by Laughton and a solid film.
Preminger was one of the directors who cast actors who had been blacklisted; in this case Meredith and Tone.
Well worth your time.

Reaction Score
Tonight Turner Classic Movies is showing perhaps my favorite fantasy film, "A Matter of Life and Death". I recall first watching this film probably around 40 years ago or so on channel 13, the PBS station in New York City when I was either still in high school or home on break while attending UConn (my family lived in Bethel at the time). It absolutely wowed me the first time I saw it. This film is directed by the great Michael Powell, who also had a hand in one of my other favorite film fantasies, "The Thief of Bagdad", starring Sabu. Powell is probably my second favorite British director after Hitchcock. Powell often worked in association with Emeric Pressberger, a film team known as "The Archers". Other great Powell films include "A Canterbury Tale", "Black Narcissus", and "The Red Shoes", among others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom