Movie Hindsight 2020 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Movie Hindsight 2020

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just finished "The Laundromat". Ostensibly this movie was supposed to do for offshore shell companies what "The Big Short" did for mortgage-backed securities. But it didn't have nearly the impact. While TBS had a plot line and a fairly linear story so you got to know the characters, TL was a series of vignettes with a chorus/narrative supplied by the wonderfully hammy duo of Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas. Those two are the only reason to spend time with this film. I've always been a Banderas fan and his charisma makes the otherwise slimeball character work. And in Oldman's case, while him hamming it up took away from "Leon: The Professional", in this case it's put to perfect use. That he's playing a German con man just adds to the fun.

Oh yeah, Meryl Streep stars. But you're not watching this for her.

Reaction Score
Midnight Special (2016) - Science fiction film in which a kid with special powers accompanied by parents and a friend is pursued by the government and a religious cult. Often in a story like this the viewer enters the action through a participant who is entering the action themselves, and you get to know the ropes of the story through that particular person. However, in this film the viewer is basically air dropped into the story with virtually no explanation, and in a way it is rather disconcerting. At first I didn't know if I could go with this style of story, but the film did grow on me as it went along. I did find that as it went along that this film held my interest, and I did like it to a degree. However, it is also a story that does not in the end ofter any real answers as to what is going on. Even though I found the ride ok, I would have a difficult time recommending this film to others.

Reaction Score
"Extraction" on Netflix. B- for the nonstop action, D for the plot and acting. Classic shoot 'em up, car chase, hero gets shot at a kajillion times and never/hardly gets hit (a la stormtrooper shooting). It was Saturday morning, threw it on and the action scenes kept my interest though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Extraction" on Netflix. B- for the nonstop action, D for the plot and acting. Classic shoot 'em up, car chase, hero gets shot at a kajillion times and never/hardly gets hit (a la stormtrooper shooting). It was Saturday morning, threw it on and the action scenes kept my interest though.
Pretty much my thoughts. Reviewed it the 2020 thread. Needed humor.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Red Sparrow (2019) - Jennifer Lawrence is pure eye candy as a Russian spy flipped by US intel guy, Josh Edgerton. Overall, if you love espionage then you may like this movie.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
From Dusk Till Dawn (1997) - A Robert Rodriguez film written by his best bud, Quentin Tarantino. An awesome romp following two bank robbers going to Mexico and landing at a bar full of Zombies.

You need to watch Salma Hayek dance in this one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Manchester by the Sea - Man, Casey Affleck pounds his brother into grist when it comes to acting talent. What an emotional movie.

Reaction Score
Manchester by the Sea - Man, Casey Affleck pounds his brother into grist when it comes to acting talent. What an emotional movie.
That’s a movie that, now with having kids of my own, would be very hard to rewatch. I remember it being a very powerfully emotional watch the first time through.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That’s a movie that, now with having kids of my own, would be very hard to rewatch. I remember it being a very powerfully emotional watch the first time through.
This scene:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Casey is a pretty damned good actor. First I remember him was in his brother's directorial debut, "Gone Baby Gone". I loved the book (and the whole Lehane series), but wasn't wildly crazy about the screenplay as I felt it neglected the depth of the Kenzie/Gennaro relationship, but Casey was excellent in portraying Kenzie even though it was Amy Ryan's Southie junkie who stole the show. I see there's going to be a Fox reboot for TV, but I can't imagine they'll capture Boston like the Affleck movie.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
After watching the 2019 version of "Little Women" around a month ago, I was curious to check out the 1994 version starring Winona Ryder. I thought that I had started it briefly back when it was current but bailed out quickly. Upon further reflection that might have been a different period piece w/ Ryder I was thinking of. Anyway...the '94 version was going along decent, but about halfway thru it lost momentum and my interest drifted. I did finish it, but I have to say I much prefer the '19 version. Both had great casts and good performances. Interesting how differently you can tell a story, even if it's the same story.

One major difference, and a bit of a dilemma, is how to approach the character of Amy. In '94, Kirsten Dunst played her as around 12 years old and then when it jumped forward 4 years a different actress, Samantha Mathis took over. That was fairly jarring, they weren't that similar looking and the entire rest of the cast hadn't aged a day in that 4 year period. That didn't quite work I don't think.

In '19 Florence Pugh initially played her as fairly petulant and bratty. It was a bit odd, but makes more sense based on the age the character was supposed to be. Pugh obviously can't pass for anywhere remotely close to 12. That's a bit jarring as well, but I prefer that to the switcheroo.

The cast from '94 also included Claire Danes, Susan Sarandon, Christian Bale and Gabriel Byrne among others.

Reaction Score
The Devil Wears Prada (2006) - While watching this film about a woman just out of college (Anne Hathaway) with absolutely no fashion sense who gets a job for a fashion magazine working for an impossible boss (Meryl Streep), a couple things struck me. It starts off as a fish out of water story, and then it started to remind me of one of my favorite science fiction films from the 1950's, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Will the heroine of the piece realize that she is in danger of becoming a pod person as she eventually adapts to the mores (dress and otherwise) of her new surroundings, and as the job threatens to consume the rest of her life? Not a great film by any means, but certainly watchable and it held my attention.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Devil Wears Prada (2006) - While watching this film about a woman just out of college (Anne Hathaway) with absolutely no fashion sense who gets a job for a fashion magazine working for an impossible boss (Meryl Streep), a couple things struck me. It starts off as a fish out of water story, and then it started to remind me of one of my favorite science fiction films from the 1950's, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Will the heroine of the piece realize that she is in danger of becoming a pod person as she eventually adapts to the mores (dress and otherwise) of her new surroundings, and as the job threatens to consume the rest of her life? Not a great film by any means, but certainly watchable and it held my attention.
I think it's a great film. It's one I always stop on if I see it while surfing, and I always end up watching to the end. This scene in particular is perfect:

Reaction Score
Finally saw "Uncut Gems". Also went back and read some of the comments on this forum.

I was surprised to see how few liked it here. I thought it was really, really good. I liked the hectic pace and how he just used whatever he could to get that next big bet in. Every part of his life was oversaturated and always in a state of chaos.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Usual Suspects (1995) - Have never seen it. Playing on Showtime recently. Starts slow and I almost turned it off. But got better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Usual Suspects (1995) - Have never seen it. Playing on Showtime recently. Starts slow and I almost turned it off. But got better.
Were you aware of the twist ahead of time?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Next Three Days (2010) - Russell Crowe and Elizabeth Banks star in this movie where a wrongly accused woman goes to prison for murder and her husband busts her out. Meh.

Marrowbone (2017) - Not groundbreaking but a pretty descent psychological thriller. Worth a watch. George Mackay ("1917") stars.

Reaction Score
Win Win (2011) - Tom McCarthy directed "The Station Agent”, a film that my wife and I love and will watch anytime it shows up on television. With McCarthy directing “Win Win” and together with the participation with the always interesting Paul Giamatti in the lead role, it led me to this dramedy. Giamatti plays an attorney who is also a high school wrestling coach. Giamatti’s character is having some financial problems, and his wrestling team isn’t doing too well either. Giamatti seems to be a decent enough guy in this film, but due to his financial problems, he starts making some ethically challenged decisions in his decision to become the guardian of an elderly man who is in the early stages of dementia with no local family in order benefit financially from the elderly man’s medical problems. Things get more complicated for Giamatti when the elderly man’s grandson (who happens to be a very good high school wrestler) suddenly shows up from out of town looking for him. In this film there always seems to be another complication to the ethical equation hiding around the corner for Giamatti. This is a very solid and entertaining film, and it is well worth seeing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Win Win (2011) - Tom McCarthy directed "The Station Agent”, a film that my wife and I love and will watch anytime it shows up on television. With McCarthy directing “Win Win” and together with the participation with the always interesting Paul Giamatti in the lead role, it led me to this dramedy. Giamatti plays an attorney who is also a high school wrestling coach. Giamatti’s character is having some financial problems, and his wrestling team isn’t doing too well either. Giamatti seems to be a decent enough guy in this film, but due to his financial problems, he starts making some ethically challenged decisions in his decision to become the guardian of an elderly man who is in the early stages of dementia with no local family in order benefit financially from the elderly man’s medical problems. Things get more complicated for Giamatti when the elderly man’s grandson (who happens to be a very good high school wrestler) suddenly shows up from out of town looking for him. In this film there always seems to be another complication to the ethical equation hiding around the corner for Giamatti. This is a very solid and entertaining film, and it is well worth seeing.

Not familiar with Win Win, but based on this I'll be looking for it. I loved The Station Agent. I don't know too many folks who've actually seen it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think it's a great film. It's one I always stop on if I see it while surfing, and I always end up watching to the end. This scene in particular is perfect:

I saw a story about the making of this film. It was a great idea for a movie that had problems from the start, with a half written script based on an unfinished book and Anne Hathaway in her first headline role on a big budget movie. Emily Blunt was nobody and Tucci didn't join the cast until just before filming. Meryl Streep is a freaking genius for how she carried this film to a huge success.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think I had intended to watch "Princess Caraboo" at some point, but never got around to it. I finally did. I found it amusing and charming. I've seen "Fast Times...," so I was definitely familiar with Phoebe Cates. The 2 films were released 12 years apart, but she hardly aged. The cast also included Kevin Kline, Stephen Rea and John Lithgow.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Marrowbone (2017) - Not groundbreaking but a pretty descent psychological thriller. Worth a watch. George Mackay ("1917") stars.

I saw that recently as well. It was intriguing, but I didn't really dig the twist near the end.

Mackay is promising up and comer, I've seen him in a few things. Anya Taylor-Joy was also in it, I'm a big fan of her. I've noticed almost everything she appears in has a dark and foreboding tone to it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I saw that recently as well. It was intriguing, but I didn't really dig the twist near the end.

Mackay is promising up and comer, I've seen him in a few things. Anya Taylor-Joy was also in it, I'm a big fan of her. I've noticed almost everything she appears in has a dark and foreboding tone to it.
Yeah, the ending was weird.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom