Most Underrated Actors/Actresses | The Boneyard

Most Underrated Actors/Actresses

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Who you got?

I'm going with Ed Harris (having just watched another episode of Westworld). Can't think of a single thing he's been in that I didn't enjoy. Never really the top draw like a Connery, Di Caprio, Hopkins, Hanks, etc. But always great in any role he plays.

Reaction Score
Jim Paxson (Aliens, Weird Science, Tombstone). Guy was great in every supporting role he took.

Gary Oldman (Sid and Nancy, 5th Element).

Reaction Score
Who you got?

I'm going with Ed Harris (having just watched another episode of Westworld). Can't think of a single thing he's been in that I didn't enjoy. Never really the top draw like a Connery, Di Caprio, Hopkins, Hanks, etc. But always great in any role he plays.
I'll second that, I think he's best remembered for these two films....

Places in the Heart (1984) - Final Scene

.....he married his co star (Amy Madigan) in Places in the Heart, one of Hollywood's few marriages that has endured. He also was in Field of Dreams with her.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Who knew so many oscar winners were underrated? I've heard some good things about an unknown actress named Streep.

The answer to this question is Billy Crudup based on his portrayals of Russell Hammond and Dr. Manhattan alone. I don't even know what he looks like in real life.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'll second that, I think he's best remembered for these two films....

Places in the Heart (1984) - Final Scene

.....he married his co star (Amy Madigan) in Places in the Heart, one of Hollywood's few marriages that has endured. He also was in Field of Dreams with her.

Which character did Ed Harris play in Field of Dreams (and please do not say "The Voice")?

I think Harris is phenomenal, but I have a hard time buying into him being underrated. He may not have the hardware, but he keeps getting work and probably does not have to audition for anything.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You almost have to give the reason why you think someone is underrated if you are going to put them in this thread.

Shailene Woodley for me. She is awesome in everything she does, yet despite being a box office star and having proven she can carry some dodgy scripts, she is still not quite A list. She has been nominated for 2 Golden Globes and an Emmy, so you could argue whether she is underrated, but she still feels like she is one dud from being this generation's Molly Ringwald. I think part of it is that she is not classically beautiful.

Natalie Portman - She is only remotely underrated because she has been awful so often for an A list actress that some people don't know what to make of her. She follows up an Oscar WIN in Black Swan with hot garbage like No Strings Attached. What the is going through her mind when she reads scripts?

Couple of tiers down:

Mark Strong - A classic "that guy" actor that can do everything from a Guy Ritchie shoot-em-up to a blockbuster to playing a closeted spy.

Natalie Dormer - smoking hot and very interesting. Not sure why she hasn't gotten a major leading role yet.

Toby Jones - weird looking guy that is an excellent actor

Giancarlo Esposito - Everyone getting a residual on Breaking Bad owes it to Esposito. This would have been a good, not great, show without Gus Fring.

Reaction Score
Which character did Ed Harris play in Field of Dreams (and please do not say "The Voice")?

I think Harris is phenomenal, but I have a hard time buying into him being underrated. He may not have the hardware, but he keeps getting work and probably does not have to audition for anything.
He was "the voice", you got it!!! You're a very smart man. Lol

Husky25

Reaction Score
He was "the voice", you got it!!! You're a very smart man. Lol
I believe that is a rumor.

Even in a whisper, Harris's voice would be much deeper.

Reaction Score
I believe that is a rumor.

Even in a whisper, Harris's voice would be much deeper.
The books author WP Kinsella has said publicly that he was told the voice was Ed Harris, husband of Amy Madigan, who starred in the film. That's good enough for me.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The books author WP Kinsella has said publicly that he was told the voice was Ed Harris, husband of Amy Madigan, who starred in the film. That's good enough for me.

Ordinarily, me too, but in this case I believe my lying ears.

I've read Shoeless Joe. It's very well done.

Reaction Score
Ordinarily, me too, but in this case I believe my lying ears.

I've read Shoeless Joe. It's very well done.
I think his voice has deepened a lot as he's gotten older. Listen to his lines in this clip from The Right Stuff, his voice is not that deep....

Husky25

Reaction Score
Suppose it is possible, I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Be that as it may, Ed Harris is Kevin Bacon before Kevin Bacon (and a better actor). Without looking at his IMDb page:

The Right Stuff
GlenGary Glenn Ross
The Abyss

The one with Madeleine Stowe (China Moon?)
Appollo 13
The Truman Show
A Beautiful Mind
The Rock
National Treasure, Book of Secrets
Radio

...the list goes on (but as I said. I didn't look at IMDb first).

They should name Best Supporting Actor for him.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Shailene Woodley for me. She is awesome in everything she does, yet despite being a box office star and having proven she can carry some dodgy scripts, she is still not quite A list.

The Divergent franchise was supposed to do for her what Hunger Games did for Jennifer Lawrence, but it ended up being a disaster. I've been a fan of Woodley ever since "The Descendants" w/ George Clooney.

Reaction Score
Not that he was a great actor, but certainly not a household name.

images

Didn't even say "shinebox."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sam Rockwell.
Cillian murphy.
Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
Ben Mendelsohn, though he's gotten more pub lately.

Sam Neill. Relatively acclaimed, but hasn't really won any significant awards. One of the best actors of his generation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom