Most under rated UConn Husky? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Most under rated UConn Husky?

Reaction Score
Oriakhi just had an off junior year that burned into people’s brain. He was a good player as a freshman, and he was great (about 5 WS) as a sophomore and senior at Mizzou.

He was “great” as a sophomore at the right time. He was almost invisible in many regular season Big East games but have to give him his due, he came up big when he had to. But not the most underrated.

Reaction Score
Jimmy foster

Many here probably don’t know how good Jimmy was, special good. In that direction another guy who was solid in his career is Al Weston.

And Gerry Besselink turned into a nice rebounder, defender.

Reaction Score
What about Josh Boone? The kid did an awful lot of the dirty work while other teammates received the accolades.

2004 Josh Boone, definitely, epitomized by his hustle play leading to Okafor's go-ahead bucket against Duke. Without that play, very good chance we don't take home #2.

2006 Josh Boone, however, was the poster boy for our mediocre play down the stretch and soft performance in the Elite Eight.

Speaking of 2006, I'd give a nod to Hilton Armstrong. Yes, he was only a major contributor for basically one year, but he gave that frontcourt a nasty streak and continued our tradition of developing diamond-in-the-rough bigs.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
2004 Josh Boone, definitely, epitomized by his hustle play leading to Okafor's go-ahead bucket against Duke. Without that play, very good chance we don't take home #2.

2006 Josh Boone, however, was the poster boy for our mediocre play down the stretch and soft performance in the Elite Eight.

Speaking of 2006, I'd give a nod to Hilton Armstrong. Yes, he was only a major contributor for basically one year, but he gave that frontcourt a nasty streak and continued our tradition of developing diamond-in-the-rough bigs.

idk. Hard for me to say Hilton when it was one good year and both he and Boone shat the bed against mason front court they should’ve absolutely manhandled.

Reaction Score
Jake Voskuhl.....definitely not a star with guys like Rip and KEA but very good big man defender, position rebounder and REALLY good screener that set up a lot of Rip’s shots after he ran baseline. He did a lot of the work people didn’t notice akin to outstanding offensive linemen in football.

Jake gets my vote. 4 year starter and underrated defender.

also
Jerome Dyson was going to lead us to a championship in 2009 if not for the injury.Head bang

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
Jake gets my vote. 4 year starter and underrated defender.

also
Jerome Dyson was going to lead us to a championship in 2009 if not for the injury.Head bang

He wasn’t leading.
Price and thabeet were the two best players on that team.

getting stuck playing austrie and the front court getting absused for 25/30 minutes by some JAGs is what did them in.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Maybe not the most under appreciated, but Shonn Miller was the best player on our last tournament team, so he deserves a mention.

Personally I'll take Adams, he'd be on everyone's all time list had he not come in during a horrible stretch for the team.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t leading.
Price and thabeet were the two best players on that team.

That's your opinion. I thought Dyson was. He was a lock down defender. You prove my point Dyson is underrated.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. T Brown - the one guy who was maligned and dogged and who most everyone (except me and and the few I can count on one hand) said would never lead UConn to a NC
2. J. Adams - memories of Hawaii, the shot vs Cinci in the AAC tournament, the kid that had to play virtually every position on the court. The haters here were insufferable
3. Giffey - a really solid player who did so many things so well yet did so covertly
4. Olender - yeah he has 2 rings but did some nice things in the OBE tourney and NC run as a freshman - a great kid for the locker room
5. D Ham, John Thomas and Jeff A - all 3 had talent and grit that was overlooked by many

the Q

Reaction Score
That's your opinion. I thought Dyson was.

No. There’s no actual basis for saying he was the best player. He was, at best, 4th.

Reaction Score
I would say Austrie. He played a solid 4 years here. I know he put up big numbers, but Dyson is overlooked when we talk about all the great guards that have played here. I still think we win a championship if he didn't get hurt. Which ties into Austrie. He stepped in and helped that team to keep winning. Adrien is another underappreciated guy. That whole 08-09 team was something special. Nothing but a bunch of grinders who brought it every night. That team is in my top 5 favorite teams ever.

the Q

Reaction Score
again thanks for proving my point about him being underrated.

no. You’re proving that he was overrated. People saying he was better than cv and that he was better than guys like price, Thabeet and even adrien.

he was tired for 5th in win shares that year.
He probably only jumps kemba. who only started 2 games that year and still has a decent lead on him.

Reaction Score
About 20-30 guys who are not and mostly played on the same teams as the following:
Ray Allen
Donyell Marshall
Caron Butler
Rip Hamilton
Emeka Okafor
Thabeet
Kemba
Bazz
The board does this all the time singling out a player and comment like they were the only person on that team. That’s not only wrong but very ignorant of winning basketball requirements.
I honor all those guys who have not been honored.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom