Most popular CT team | The Boneyard

Most popular CT team

Which team is the most popular across the state?

• Uconn men

Votes: 130 60.7%
  • Uconn women

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • Yankees

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • Sox

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Giants

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Knicks

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Pats

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Celtics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Which team do you think has the most fan support in the state? Personal bias aside. (Im sure this was a topic already, but things change)

Reaction Score
An interesting question and one I think without a definitive answer. It might be easier to put into tiers based on maximums - i.e., how popular is the team when they’re winning, have marketable players, etc.

Going off that flawed logic, I would say it is the UConn men, followed in no particular order by the women, Yankees, Giants, and Patriots.

But in the end, superjohn’s right - Nutmeggers turn out most when a team’s winning.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
good question, don't have an answer today. the past ten years or so have added a pantload of pats/brady fans, so there's that. the girls have outeyeballed the thursday nite nfl thing sometimes, and they've wrecked the championship thing to where now it's called 'the UConn Invitational,' so there's that. finally, the whole 'bombers on the tube and the seniors dynamic' being a yuge cash money reality for the advertisers is obviously true, so there's that. i wonder if fistfights break out in the tv room at sunny acres when the question is 'Yankees or Wheel?'
good question.

Reaction Score
Whichever team is winning.
This will surely be put to the test with the CT pats fans this year. Wonder how many "must be in my seat for kickoff" pats fans turn into "have it on in the background while I cook" pats fans.

Reaction Score
An interesting question and one I think without a definitive answer. It might be easier to put into tiers based on maximums - i.e., how popular is the team when they’re winning, have marketable players, etc.

Going off that flawed logic, I would say it is the UConn men, followed in no particular order by the women, Yankees, Giants, and Patriots.

But in the end, superjohn’s right - Nutmeggers turn out most when a team’s winning.
You can't include the Yankees and not the Sox.

There's no way the UConn women have more fans instate than the Yankees/Sox/Giants/Pats.

There are probably more Cowboys fans in this state than UConn Women fans. The women have a great fanbase. But it's niche.

Reaction Score
This will surely be put to the test with the CT pats fans this year. Wonder how many "must be in my seat for kickoff" pats fans turn into "have it on in the background while I cook" pats fans.
I am guilty of this with the Red Sox. Nothing interests me less than watching baseball when the Red Sox are out of the playoff race. When they are good, I'll watch or listen to every game.

Reaction Score
You can't include the Yankees and not the Sox.

There's no way the UConn women have more fans instate than the Yankees/Sox/Giants/Pats.

There are probably more Cowboys fans in this state than UConn Women fans. The women have a great fanbase. But it's niche.
I can and I will - based purely off of numbers, Yankee fans tended to have an ~8% edge in the Quinnipiac polls sampling the two fanbases in Connecticut. It’s definitely a reality that the state’s split, but by a black-and-white definition, Connecticut is a Yankees state.

And for the the record, this is all very tongue-in-cheek as I’m a Yanks fan born in the 90s who thoroughly enjoyed growing up watching the rivalry when there was legitimate animosity between the two teams. So part of my answer was to take a deliberate dig at the Sox lol.

As for the women’s thing, I wouldn’t say you’re wrong on average, but I believe you misinterpreted my reasoning - consider how popular they were in 15-16, on their way to a fourth straight title with a popular and generational player leading the way and Geno more god than man. At their peak, which we may not see again, I think the women would have a decent argument for being one of the most popular teams in the state.

On any given day, I would say it’s impossible to ascertain who is the “most popular” team in Connecticut. Multiple teams have laid claim to it with backing over the years and multiple teams probably will in the future. Just the nature of our band-wagoning state.

Reaction Score
I am guilty of this with the Red Sox. Nothing interests me less than watching baseball when the Red Sox are out of the playoff race. When they are good, I'll watch or listen to every game.
No shame in that.

Reaction Score
I can and I will - based purely off of numbers, Yankee fans tended to have an ~8% edge in the Quinnipiac polls sampling the two fanbases in Connecticut. It’s definitely a reality that the state’s split, but by a black-and-white definition, Connecticut is a Yankees state.

And for the the record, this is all very tongue-in-cheek as I’m a Yanks fan born in the 90s who thoroughly enjoyed growing up watching the rivalry when there was legitimate animosity between the two teams. So part of my answer was to take a deliberate dig at the Sox lol.

As for the women’s thing, I wouldn’t say you’re wrong on average, but I believe you misinterpreted my reasoning - consider how popular they were in 15-16, on their way to a fourth straight title with a popular and generational player leading the way and Geno more god than man. At their peak, which we may not see again, I think the women would have a decent argument for being one of the most popular teams in the state.

On any given day, I would say it’s impossible to ascertain who is the “most popular” team in Connecticut. Multiple teams have laid claim to it with backing over the years and multiple teams probably will in the future. Just the nature of our band-wagoning state.
I'm gonna post the exact same survey but on the women's BY. Just to see. Here goes...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Either the Giants or the Pats.

Let’s not kid ourselves.

UConn MBB has a great fan base, but nothing can compete with the general populations interest in the NFL.
Pats have a fair-weather and dwindling fanbase.
They also have to share for fans with the Giants and Jets. UConn has no in-state competition.

Reaction Score
I'd say the Giants. Patriots would be a close 2nd but there are very few Pats fans in Fairfield county, and Hartford county is probably only a 50/50 split (just like it is with Yanks/Sox).

If I had to rank em I'd say this:

1) Giants
2) Patriots
3) Yankees
4) Red Sox
5) Knicks
6) Celtics
7) UConn MBB
8) Jets
9) Mets
10) UConn WBB

Reaction Score
i went with the pats, as much as it pains me as a giants fan.

i think the yankees/red sox divide is too even, and the patriots' dynasty pulled in a LOT of casual fans/fencewalkers/turn coats over the last two decades. plus, football is the biggest sport in the country by far. cbb is just too small to be the #1.

Reaction Score
i went with the pats, as much as it pains me as a giants fan.

i think the yankees/red sox divide is too even, and the patriots' dynasty pulled in a LOT of casual fans/fencewalkers/turn coats over the last two decades. plus, football is the biggest sport in the country by far. cbb is just too small to be the #1.
You bring up a good talking point: it's hard to argue football's dominance but i can think of a few markets where football may not be the biggest. I lived in LA for 10 years and the Lakers were easily the most popular team. College basketball in Arizona seems more popular than the Cards and Dbacks. Trying to think of others...IU bball over the colts and pacers.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
A biased set of responses thus far IMO. I feel like alliances to the pro teams are seriously fractured here in CT. The UConn women have more fans than the men by far. I would bet they have the most fans in state. I went on a bus trip to the men's/women's games in Newark last year, and the entire bus was only there for the women. UConn women have every single boomer and up in CT as a fan, as well as basically every female. I was in Vegas once during college hoops season with my UConn jersey on, and multiple people asked me if it was a men's or women's jersey, and they said "oh, we love the women." And those folks were not from CT, but I think the same logic applies at home here. I don't think it's even close. I'm a Pats and Sox fan, but also fans of both hoops programs...my dad is Yankees and Giants, but also a fan of both hoops programs. I have a friend who is Mets/Jets, but also a fan of mens/womens hoops.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom