Most Important | The Boneyard

Most Important

Reaction Score
This made Chief’s day. Much more important in James career or life than what number he went in the first round. Reinforces with Chief that the coaching staff are focus on the right things and players should listen to them. It appears James did and now he has the responsibility to live it. James can be an outstanding player and representative of UConn. Just post this on the bulletin board and read every day and speak it into existence. Good job young man.

C73A975B-DBE7-418D-A305-B9B14760255A.jpeg

Reaction Score
So I’m guessing before he was drafted you didn’t think James was listening to the staff?
Do you have kids or have coached young people? Sometimes you just never know what sinks in or doesn’t, until somehow they show they heard and processed it. During the biggest week of his life, James saying these things when he could be talking about money and fame, means a lot to Chief. I am willing to bet the coaches feel that way too as do parents of UConn players and recruits.
Ray Allen recently tried to explain about how he is trying to teach his kids about doing things the right way. He got some push back from adults that it’s easy for him to say because of his money, but I thought Ray explained it very well. If you do things the right way as James mentions, the other success stuff will follow.

Last edited:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Do you have kids or have coached young people? Sometimes you just never know what sinks in or doesn’t, until somehow they show they heard and processed it. On the biggest night of his life, James saying these things when he could be talking about money and fame, means a lot to me. I am willing to bet the coaches feel that way too as do parents of UConn players and recruits.
Ray Allen recently tried to explain all this about how he is trying to teach his kids about doing things the right way. He got some push back from adults that it’s easy for him to say because of his money, but I thought Ray explained it very well. If you do things the right way as Janes mentions, the other success stuff will follow.
On the biggest night of his life? The story says the quote was from Monday. What happened Monday?

Reaction Score
James saying these things when he could be talking about money and fame, means a lot to me.
Is that different than “means a lot to Chief”? Does it mean a lot to both you and your handle? Just yanking your chain, Chief. Keep up the positivity. It’s your best trait.

Reaction Score
Do you have kids or have coached young people? Sometimes you just never know what sinks in or doesn’t, until somehow they show they heard and processed it. On the biggest night of his life, James saying these things when he could be talking about money and fame, means a lot to me. I am willing to bet the coaches feel that way too as do parents of UConn players and recruits.
Ray Allen recently tried to explain all this about how he is trying to teach his kids about doing things the right way. He got some push back from adults that it’s easy for him to say because of his money, but I thought Ray explained it very well. If you do things the right way as Janes mentions, the other success stuff will follow.
Wow, what insight! As usual Chief passes off the most obvious observations as if they we handed to him by Moses.

Reaction Score
This made Chief’s day. Much more important in James career or life than what number he went in the first round. Reinforces with Chief that the coaching staff are focus on the right things and players should listen to them. It appears James did and now he has the responsibility to live it. James can be an outstanding player and representative of UConn. Just post this on the bulletin board and read every day and speak it into existence. Good job young man.

View attachment 68828
Words of a young man that clearly lacks the maturity level for the NBA.

/s

Reaction Score
Wow, what insight! As usual Chief passes off the most obvious observations as if they we handed to him by Moses.
Life at its finest is simple - don’t overcomplicate things.

Reaction Score
Words of a young man that clearly lacks the maturity level for the NBA.

/s
It’s a process and lets give credit where credit is due. As with all of us maturity is a process. At some point @WhereistheDove? needs to stop doing the rear view mirror check on James and let him grow as he is trying to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On the biggest night of his life? The story says the quote was from Monday. What happened Monday?
Corrected to “this week” - it’s the same point but wanted to remove the distraction for those easily distracted.

Reaction Score
Chief. Keep up the positivity. It’s your best trait.
So true, positivity and optimism are so important in all aspects of our lives. If you do things the right way as James mentioned and add positivity, it goes a long ways. Focus on that and your passions, and money/success will follow.

Reaction Score
So true, positivity and optimism are so important in all aspects of our lives. If you do things the right way as James mentioned and add positivity, it goes a long ways. Focus on that and your passions, and money/success will follow.

From a T-shirt I saw: "They said do what you love and the money will follow. So I ate a pizza and took a nap, and now I'm waiting."

Reaction Score
why can’t someone do both? It’s not binary.
I am sure Ray will but I think he means the emphasis is spending time with his kids and helping them develop- so that they can be independent, productive and good character people. That doesn’t mean he won’t help them with some money but more about the thrust of the effort.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hope the young man takes this gift and runs with it down the right path. There are so many things that can get in the way. Best of luck to JB. Looking forward to the upcoming UConn season The Hawk will fly

Reaction Score
I hope the young man takes this gift and runs with it down the right path. There are so many things that can get in the way. Best of luck to JB. Looking forward to the upcoming UConn season The Hawk will fly
His handlers need to step up their game or be replaced. Pushing all the that Top 5 narrative and then not having a suit to wear at his introductory presser.

Two other things that jumped off the page for an observer like Chief. First, Bouknight’s comment about feeling awkward because he’s never seen so many reporters in the room, seemed like he went to some school other than UConn. But with Covid last season, being a protected freshman Hurley wanted on a low profile and the decline of local media in CT - it made more sense. Having said that, the school needs to do a better job preparing him.

Second, you can analyze his comment about how his game was held back at UConn in a few ways. He didn’t have the supporting cast, his career had Covid and injury. Additionally, his own bad decisions caused interruptions to normal progress. However, the staff must take an honest look at our offense, pace and court spacing. James’s must accept responsibility too for an assist to turnover ratio of below 1.0 in both his seasons here and that makes it difficult to open up the game and play faster. So he needs to be more efficient with the ball. Finally, you need to knock down 3’s in actual games, in order to achieve the desired spacing and 29% doesn’t cut it.

Having done all of the above game breakdowns, it really comes back to James doing the things he talks about in the OP of this thread off the court. If he does those things off the court, he will be able to improve on the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His handlers need to step up their game or be replaced. Pushing all the that Top 5 narrative and then not having a suit to wear at his introductory presser.
F5BF8F5D-9DF7-497C-9079-DC848C4173B3.gif

Reaction Score

View attachment 68828
There is a message there for those yearning to make college a minor league. That model leaves the kid on his own and the coach rather than becoming a mentor or in some respects a surrogate father just becomes another employee in a business enterprise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom