Most Disappointing Big East Team Opening Night | The Boneyard

Most Disappointing Big East Team Opening Night

Which team had the most disappointing opening night?

• Creighton vs Arkansas Pine Bluff

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Providence vs Fairfield

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • Marquette vs SIUE

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Xaiver vs Niagra

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Butler vs IUPIU

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Outside of UConn, Villanova, and St Johns, I was a bit underwhelmed by tonight's play of the other teams. They seem like they are all going to win, and I am not sure what I was expecting but I was hoping for a bit more from the other Big East teams.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Xavier is supposed to be a really good team but they struggled. Creighton is now up 17 and may win by 30 so they ended up playing well.

Reaction Score
All of these are concerning. These opponents are true basement dwellers. On the other hand, it's opening night.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Creighton had nice comeback, if there freshman all come back next year they will be scary good. Lot’s of talent. Can score at will and with a year of experience under their belt, look out. But let’s just worry about this year for now. UConn looked good, but it is just CCSU. Good crowd and energy seemed high in the building.

Reaction Score
Creighton had nice comeback, if there freshman all come back next year they will be scary good. Lot’s of talent. Can score at will and with a year of experience under their belt, look out. But let’s just worry about this year for now. UConn looked good, but it is just CCSU. Good crowd and energy seemed high in the building.
Arkansas Pine Bluff is also maybe the worst team in the country, so I wouldn't take too much positive from the comeback, considering the deficit in the first place.

Let it also be said that Central Connecticut might also be the worst team in the country.

Reaction Score
Conveniently, opening night clarifies quickly what elite teams take care of biz and which are pretenders. I was tired of hearing about Xavier & Butler myself. They were bad last year, soft. And not great start this year.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.24.22 PM.png

1. UConn
2. Nova
3. St. Johns

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
In Xavier’s defense, they did not have Fremantle one of their best players.
And it should have been a 6 point win. Niagara hit a full court heave as time expired.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are two outcomes in these early season games: a win or a loss. There is no column in the standings for style points. I am sure the ACC would have liked to go 8-0 night last. These early season games do matter in March when the Committee is selecting the field, because a few 6-3 nights against low majors will impact the computer rankings for the entire league by that point. Every night no one in the Big East loses to UC San Diego or Navy is the whole conference moving closer to another bid, and the top Big East teams moving closer to a slightly higher seeding.

I expect some insane upsets of P6 teams in the first month of this season because there was so much player movement in the offseason through the transfer portal that there is no way these major conference teams that have 6+ new players are on the same page yet. Some P6 teams are just going to have stinkers, and a lot of these low major teams may not have been hit by as much player movement as the high majors.

Reaction Score
There are two outcomes in these early season games: a win or a loss. There is no column in the standings for style points. I am sure the ACC would have liked to go 8-0 night last. These early season games do matter in March when the Committee is selecting the field, because a few 6-3 nights against low majors will impact the computer rankings for the entire league by that point. Every night no one in the Big East loses to UC San Diego or Navy is the whole conference moving closer to another bid, and the top Big East teams moving closer to a slightly higher seeding.

I expect some insane upsets of P6 teams in the first month of this season because there was so much player movement in the offseason through the transfer portal that there is no way these major conference teams that have 6+ new players are on the same page yet. Some P6 teams are just going to have stinkers, and a lot of these low major teams may not have been hit by as much player movement as the high majors.
There actually very much is a column for style points. Margin of victory will factor into these teams ranking metrics which qualifies if they are Q1/Q2/Q3 team. Obv a win is the most important thing but winning by a lot is also important.

Reaction Score
We ripped up CCSU and that’s great. But let’s worry about our Huskies moving forward. Early season wins and some losses sometime mean very little as to what a team will ultimately be come League play. All of these teams will be better when we play them, and a lot better then these Blue Devils.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is style points do matter in terms of your NCAA seeding. Beating bad teams is good, beating them by a lot is even better

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

One of the things I always liked about this league (unlike the AAC) is that they always took care of business against weaker competition.

Reaction Score
Definitely some rust with some BE teams yesterday. Creighton and Marquette have entirely new rosters so it will definitely take them some time for them to mesh, but overall i’m happy that the big east went 8-0 and did not lose 3 buy games like another conference that will not be named.

Reaction Score
Butler was uninspiring, for sure. In their defense, they were missing several key pieces including the starting point guard.

Xavier was without all-BE forward Freemantle, but regardless they underwhelmed. Lack of pop.

Very very early, so reserving judgment on all teams.

ACC laid some stinkers. Pitt is Pitt these days. But UVA losing to Navy?! Ouch. Truth is, this could be Tony Bennett's worst roster in a decade. His reputation alone accounts for their pre-season ACC ranking (#4) .

Reaction Score
In Xavier’s defense, they did not have Fremantle one of their best players.
You could take away Sanogo and we still win by 30 points last night. Xavier stinks if they can barely beat low major Niagara (who has finished above .500 just once in the last 7 seasons) even without one starter lol

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Providence looks like that may have problems this year
Caught a bit of that game when I got home from Storrs
Cooley can't be very happy this morning

Also - St Johns and UConn looked awfully good in their running offense but that becomes terribly more difficult when the opposition is hitting shots. Both teams are extremely fast though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom