OT: - Most difficult thing in sports | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Most difficult thing in sports

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Guarding LeBron James.
When I was young, I had a chance of hitting a fast ball, or, if I guessed correctly, even a good curve ball. But I would have no chance at all ever of guarding LeBron.

Reaction Score
Hitting a baseball for sure, an MLB Catcher.

NFL- QB, a lot of game planning and need to be more media accessible and of course reading coverages and sustaining hits, CB all the rules are against you and you gotta cover the Gronks, Megatrons, speedy little guys too like Edelman and Tyreke Hill.

NHL-Skating in general toughest sport to officiate because you actually have to be in shape to fly down the ice, Goalie definitely try to stop 100 plus MPH shots while guys are flying at you as well, would say a Lacrosse Goalie as well.

Reaction Score
How many major league baseball players or pro basketball players have died in the last 100 years playing their sport? Throw in soccer, hockey even football with is actually dangerous and they do not compare to descending a mountain on a bike in the rain.

Hitting a baseball is not near the top of the list of truly difficult things to do in sports. There is virtually no amount of danger to participation in baseball or basketball at any level. To pretend anythiing in either of them is the "most difficult thing in sports is silly.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The whole idea of hitting a ML fastball is not about the speed but whether you "guess" right. I mean 95 is not what it used to be, they all throw near there almost. But if you're geared up to sit back and drive a curve ball to right center and he throws a 95-96 or more best you're doing is fighting it off at that point. The game is a guessers game when you get to higher levels vs big time pitching. That makes it even more tough but guess right you can hit any pitch in the strike zone.

As said above even now at almost 60 I can grab a cage at the beach with the 90MPH and after a couple just time it to line drives but not all that tough if you played and you know what's coming.But bat against a stud, whole new ballgame and one real difficult thing to be great at.
I HATED pitchers that would start me with a good curveball or changeup. There’s nothing worse than being down 0-1 from an offspeed pitch. Then you don’t know what’s coming.

Reaction Score
Being a hockey official is #2. No line changes. Have to avoid the puck & 230-pounders on the boards. All while on skates and try to officiate the game. ... #1 is being a UConn fan. Watching our athletics Spiraling downward into the abyss.

Reaction Score
How many major league baseball players or pro basketball players have died in the last 100 years playing their sport? Throw in soccer, hockey even football with is actually dangerous and they do not compare to descending a mountain on a bike in the rain.

Hitting a baseball is not near the top of the list of truly difficult things to do in sports. There is virtually no amount of danger to participation in baseball or basketball at any level. To pretend anythiing in either of them is the "most difficult thing in sports is silly.

Why are you throwing danger in there? It’s not difficult to ride a bike down a hill.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why are you throwing danger in there? It’s not difficult to ride a bike down a hill.

Agree. Danger is a measure of willingness to do it, not skill. Besides, I am pretty sure being hit in the head by a fastball can certainly be dangerous.

In general, I don’t think is any one “most difficult thing”.

As for dangerous, I think big wave surfing is way up there. And it sure as hell is difficult and requires a lot of skill.

Reaction Score

Good post. I would put deep sea underwater welding slightly above in the rankings, though.

Reaction Score
Good post. I would put deep sea underwater welding slightly above in the rankings, though.

Those welders are very athletic lol. Don’t think that makes it into this discussion but obviously it’s dangerous.

Reaction Score
As for baseball pitching, would like to see them analyze a side arm pitcher. Its personal because one actually stopped me from playing baseball. I could have sworn every time that damn rightie threw the ball is was coming right at me and not the plate. Can't have fear holding the bat.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree. Danger is a measure of willingness to do it, not skill. Besides, I am pretty sure being hit in the head by a fastball can certainly be dangerous.

As for dangerous, I think big wave surfing is way up there. And it sure as hell is difficult and requires a lot of skill.

Big waves surfers are supreme athletes. The amount of training and physical shape you have to be in to survive falling or getting caught inside is mind blowing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As for baseball pitching, would like to see them analyze a side arm pitcher. Its personal because one actually stopped me from playing baseball. I could have sworn every time that damn rightie threw the ball is was coming right at me and not the plate. Can't have fear holding the bat.

Might be scarier, but a ball coming high to low is harder to judge. It's changing plane so to speak. Outside of power, it's one of the reasons height helps in pitching.

Reaction Score
Might be scarier, but a ball coming high to low is harder to judge. It's changing plane so to speak. Outside of power, it's one of the reasons height helps in pitching.
Rod Carew, Pete Rose, Tony Gwynn and other superb hitters are masters. Carew could put the ball where he wanted it to go. Also not all pitchers are good pitchers, meaning easier to hit than others.

(Don't ask me why.)

Reaction Score
Riding a bike downhill at 5 MPH is easy. So is hitting a baseball thrown at 30 MPH.

Riding a bicycle downhill at 50 MPH is dam near impossible. The vision, balance, strength and reflexes require a world class class athlete. Add in a road that twists and turns, changing weather including rain, other riders trying to pass you, and the fact you have already summited four mountains over the last 100 kilometers.

Sure it takes balls to step into a batters box, but to travel at racing speed downhill in a bike race along side a hundred foot drop wearing only a small helmet requires incredble courage. Even some of the best of these athletes have paid the highest price.

I also agree with those who think downhill skiing and big wave surfiing are far more difficult than standing still and hitting a curveball.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

upvoted for 'certain death' warning. try as I might, I don't see these in any other field of play.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/07/article-2575241-1C17B53D00000578-776_634x429.jpg
but hey, 'if ur gonna get chomped, ur gonna get chomped.'
Terrifying Pictures show Great White shark chasing surfer
surf's up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul