Morning after.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Morning after....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess I'm less disturbed by last night than most posters. For several days people had been making a good case for Wagner as a quality enough team to beat us so I never assumed a win in the first place. With all our possible lineup combinations, it seemed evident to me that we would need multiple games under our belt for both the players and the coaches to sort out player roles, and that losses might occur. Hence the fear I have expressed of having the Maui games come around so early in the season. Year after year experienced teams like Wagner score these early season upsets and most teams that are beaten move on just fine. I just wanted to see the players under game conditions, and I came away positive on Larrier, Gilbert, and Vital, and I saw good things from Jalen, and only 9 turnovers is a plus. All the shortcomings being noted by other posters are certainly true for this game. We didn't shoot well, and our bigs didn't contribute squat. I certainly didn't expect transformational changes from Brimah, Facey, and Enoch so for me the question is just how to do the best with who they are, rather than who we want them to be. Clearly Purvis had a bad game but reading between the lines, it seemed to me Purvis felt the responsibility to be the leader/hero in game #1 and take the big shot each time we got within a couple of points in the second half. That didn't work out well and I thought it got us into a series of possessions where each player took a turn trying to make it happen rather than sharing the ball. That's part of learning roles. Last year in Atlantis and other games early in the season, we got behind by over 20 points repeatedly and spent the largest part of every game fighting back from big deficits. Slow starts happened and we overcame it in the end. Now we have to rebound, make shots, close out on 3 point shooters, and share the ball on offense. Maybe it happens soon and maybe it doesn't. Over the next games I expect to see more of Jackson, a healthy Diarra might have had a rebounding role against similar sized players of a Wagner, and a healthier more confident Durham as the season moves on, might give us some scoring in the paint. Embrace the challenge of the team improving from 'level 2' rather than expecting 'level 5' out of the box

Reaction Score
In the 2 exhibitions, I saw a lot of selfishness. Settling for the more difficult shot. Not making the extra pass to the open man. I think we saw that out there tonight, even from our two best players who were hitting them. There was a pretty high degree of difficulty for the shots Gilbert and Larrier made. All the players were looking to score immediately, just like in the exhibition games. It has carried over. None of them setting picks or positioning themselves for rebounds.

Also, as critical as I am of Enoch's play last night, he needs minutes to learn through his mistakes. I don't like it when he becomes a black hole down there. Make a move, one on one, but when the double comes, pass out of it. I just think he needs to learn by playing, use his big body to clear people out and make space for rebounding. Live with the mistakes he will make. Let him learn.

Enoch for center is my vote.

I would try this lineup: Gilbert, Adams, Purvis, Larrier, Enoch, with Facey and Vance Jackson first off the bench for Purvis and Larrier.
correct, especially about Enoch.

Reaction Score
Imagine how they feel, the team, this morning, losing at home to an NEC team.

I stopped trying to figure it out. I'm still upset, but it's hard to let go. This is, I guess what Hillary supporters must feel like. A game you should have one, but didn't.

Sorry to bring the Cesspool into this forum, but last night was pretty stinky, the periscope feed, the game and the outcome, very cesspoolish.

Reaction Score
Wow I had a tough time sleeping, even with a decent one going. I think it was less disappointment and more "uh-oh" not sure how good this team will be. Anyway I won't overreact I will just say this:

Rodney - sleepwalking. That was not my expectation of a senior leader at all and it was disappointing. No reaction out there, no sign of the passion I expected in this one, the opener of his last year and why he stayed. Threw the ball away without any idea, settled for jump shots and didn't go to the boards to help out enough.

Kentan - Probably needed more minutes to get a better idea but wasn't exactly demanding them. They should have played smaller and used him more from my standpoint but please, want them a little more when you're in.

Jalen - He wasn't awful in the sense that he turned it over and was out of control, but he wasn't a great PG last night. Besides shooting it too much (can't go 4-15) he needed to make more pays which turned into positive for others. 5/1 assists to TO's is good mind you but he was getting to the lane a lot and easily, should have made more plays and shots. Still like his game.

Terry Larrier - 19/7 is a solid performance. Have to expect a couple TO's but needs to be a little tighter with the ball, but we did see a glimpse of who he is and who he can be. Lots there, lucky to have him!!

Amida - 4pts 5 boards 1 block in 24 minutes - guess that's who he is? I mean how can you slam the guy repeatedly for putting up the numbers which are expected night in-night out? He creates a 4 on 4 offensive set, nothing more than the occasional alley oop, he doesn't get position against 6'6 guys what's he going to do against bigger better teams. I think we know, it would seem nothing has changed. Offensive rebounding should be a passion and it's a "get boxed out easily and run back on D"...it's a hole. Need to think of playing smaller more often.

AG - Wow electric, needed to ball in his hands at the end of the game, much more. He should have it and JA should be one of his kick to's or cutters not the other way around. No TO's is excellent for his first game and he can take his man almost at will. 3 rebounds too like the kids game a ton.

Steve - Again, for now like Kentan and AB no change here. Slow on D so the minutes will be few. Can make a move or 2 on O but will lose out if he can't catch up on the other end.

Vance - Didn't see enough but need to get him some shots but I am sure another guy who needs to catch up on D if indeed he is to see the floor enough. Small sample so hoping there's more there.

Vital - Anyone who thinks we have another "Top 200" who was added late to add depth is wrong. Lucky to have rec'd this commitment and I think we have a sleeper here. Like his game and passion, works hard can make a shot and knows how to play. Will see more from this mad than expected.

Juwan - thought maybe he needed to play more minutes than he did but there's a reason I guess so it will be a process getting him back into the rhythm....we do need him as you see!

Coach KO - can't hang it all on him but it wasn't a great job at all obviously. Part of this loss goes to the players who didn't perform during their minutes and that's on him. Also the other guys working the sidelines and he's sitting making faces, not a fan of that at all. Need him working the players,, playing D on the sidelines etc etc..

Coach Miller - Fire him, the bigs suck Head bang
Maybe Howie wants another run.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Purv and JA can't have bad games at the same time - How many times have we heard this the past 4 -6 years - if X and Y have bad games, we're doomed
AB is a mess - plain and simple he is the one in a million player who gets worse year after year
As far as I am concerned, the AB experiment is over (while he did help in the 1st year) and time to let others learn on the job
Gilbert will end up as the #1 PG - sorry JA but AG seems to want it more
While many here will disagree, losing DHam hurts, and Miller being gone doesn't help BUT others need to step up - this is a young team
Big Man coach? Its hard to teach eye hand coordination and the ability to catch- I see this as being like with the football team's OL line - big in physical stature but zero to limited athletic ability.
Platoon KF and SE and hopefully Juwan can contribute soon - AB can don a cheerleaders uniform - what that over weight white dude from Wagner did to him was a true embarrassment.
I truly believe RP will come back strong and I think Larrier will get better and better as will AG. I holdout hope for JA but he has a huge consistency issue so far.
I like Vital and Vance can bee an assassin if he plays enough
The Perimeter D - what am I missing? Is it that difficult to be in your mans face? That lack of effectiveness allowed Wagner to feel early success, dictate tempo and forcing UConn to play from behind - they made so many daggers that were uncontested - this I pin on KO
I was sitting behind KO and believe me he was not nailed to his seat - he was up and active but I really think the overall performance shocked him
This loss was BAD and may hurt in the long run BUT I am confident this team can come back and be a force. However due to the age - this is a fragile situation,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom