Morning after.... | The Boneyard

Morning after....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow I had a tough time sleeping, even with a decent one going. I think it was less disappointment and more "uh-oh" not sure how good this team will be. Anyway I won't overreact I will just say this:

Rodney - sleepwalking. That was not my expectation of a senior leader at all and it was disappointing. No reaction out there, no sign of the passion I expected in this one, the opener of his last year and why he stayed. Threw the ball away without any idea, settled for jump shots and didn't go to the boards to help out enough.

Kentan - Probably needed more minutes to get a better idea but wasn't exactly demanding them. They should have played smaller and used him more from my standpoint but please, want them a little more when you're in.

Jalen - He wasn't awful in the sense that he turned it over and was out of control, but he wasn't a great PG last night. Besides shooting it too much (can't go 4-15) he needed to make more pays which turned into positive for others. 5/1 assists to TO's is good mind you but he was getting to the lane a lot and easily, should have made more plays and shots. Still like his game.

Terry Larrier - 19/7 is a solid performance. Have to expect a couple TO's but needs to be a little tighter with the ball, but we did see a glimpse of who he is and who he can be. Lots there, lucky to have him!!

Amida - 4pts 5 boards 1 block in 24 minutes - guess that's who he is? I mean how can you slam the guy repeatedly for putting up the numbers which are expected night in-night out? He creates a 4 on 4 offensive set, nothing more than the occasional alley oop, he doesn't get position against 6'6 guys what's he going to do against bigger better teams. I think we know, it would seem nothing has changed. Offensive rebounding should be a passion and it's a "get boxed out easily and run back on D"...it's a hole. Need to think of playing smaller more often.

AG - Wow electric, needed to ball in his hands at the end of the game, much more. He should have it and JA should be one of his kick to's or cutters not the other way around. No TO's is excellent for his first game and he can take his man almost at will. 3 rebounds too like the kids game a ton.

Steve - Again, for now like Kentan and AB no change here. Slow on D so the minutes will be few. Can make a move or 2 on O but will lose out if he can't catch up on the other end.

Vance - Didn't see enough but need to get him some shots but I am sure another guy who needs to catch up on D if indeed he is to see the floor enough. Small sample so hoping there's more there.

Vital - Anyone who thinks we have another "Top 200" who was added late to add depth is wrong. Lucky to have rec'd this commitment and I think we have a sleeper here. Like his game and passion, works hard can make a shot and knows how to play. Will see more from this mad than expected.

Juwan - thought maybe he needed to play more minutes than he did but there's a reason I guess so it will be a process getting him back into the rhythm....we do need him as you see!

Coach KO - can't hang it all on him but it wasn't a great job at all obviously. Part of this loss goes to the players who didn't perform during their minutes and that's on him. Also the other guys working the sidelines and he's sitting making faces, not a fan of that at all. Need him working the players,, playing D on the sidelines etc etc..

Coach Miller - Fire him, the bigs suck Head bang

Reaction Score
Mau, nothing to argue with here but the question is where do we go from here? We were the 16-18th ranked team in the country and when you are ranked that high the sky is the limit almost. You should be able to go toe to toe with the best teams in the country. We are a team without a middle, Shonn Miller was not replaced, we have to rely on Larrier and our guards for inside scoring on layups. We were outrebounded by a small Wagner team, so what happens when we run into real bigs? I believe that KO is going to run Facey and Brimah out there and it will look good against cupcakes, they are in reality backup players, even though I was hoping for rebounding from Facey.
Last night Enoch played 7 minutes and our best 3 point shooter Jackson played 9. Jackson is a sturdy 6'8" kid who I think can rebound, he needs to be out there as a 3 point threat. Bigs had 4 points and they were 2 setup dunks to AB from Jalen.
Our early OOC is the key to our season so I don't see KO just letting the kids get all the time they could benefit from. We need a big strong player down low to hold space, rebound and score and it sure didn't look like Facey and Brimah transformed to be able to do that. If I were KO I would let these kids get in there and see if they can rebound. I think Purvis is a streaky shooter who if he is on can keep us in games against good teams, we'll see, but how many times does he catch a pass with his foot on the line? he never learns. People who thinks we are number 16, can get to the final 8 with no real bigs, no top 10 players might need to rethink.

Reaction Score
Mau, nothing to argue with here but the question is where do we go from here? We were the 16-18th ranked team in the country and when you are ranked that high the sky is the limit almost. You should be able to go toe to toe with the best teams in the country. We are a team without a middle, Shonn Miller was not replaced, we have to rely on Larrier and our guards for inside scoring on layups. We were outrebounded by a small Wagner team, so what happens when we run into real bigs? I believe that KO is going to run Facey and Brimah out there and it will look good against cupcakes, they are in reality backup players, even though I was hoping for rebounding from Facey.
Last night Enoch played 7 minutes and our best 3 point shooter Jackson played 9. Jackson is a sturdy 6'8" kid who I think can rebound, he needs to be out there as a 3 point threat. Bigs had 4 points and they were 2 setup dunks to AB from Jalen.
Our early OOC is the key to our season so I don't see KO just letting the kids get all the time they could benefit from. We need a big strong player down low to hold space, rebound and score and it sure didn't look like Facey and Brimah transformed to be able to do that. If I were KO I would let these kids get in there and see if they can rebound. I think Purvis is a streaky shooter who if he is on can keep us in games against good teams, we'll see, but how many times does he catch a pass with his foot on the line? he never learns. People who thinks we are number 16, can get to the final 8 with no real bigs, no top 10 players might need to rethink.

Scary I am not sure we have the answers. The answers will be inconsistent at best if we remain the same with AB and KF, so does someone else grow into a 12-15 minute guy who can take some of their minutes and grab some boards while guarding people? The defense was awful everywhere and it will need to get a ton better. Problem is Jalen needs to guard a lot better, Rodney needs to want to be out there and our bigs need actually guard a guys once in a while instead of leaving them to block a shot they can't get to. Good point on Miller, we now see how important he was for AB, made him look better as he could physically guard some guys bigger than he and help down low as he had brains. You're right, where are the answers?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tough time sleeping I did not have. And that was only with 3 beers and no chasers. I was asleep by 9pm and got 9-10 solid hours of rest. Three weeks of travel and work definitely caught up to me.

Everything else I agree with you.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
One year of underperformance as a ranked team, and losing to teams and talent far inferior to yours can certainly be a fluke. But when it's been 3 consecutive underperforming years with a team that has had the talent on paper to get pre-season rankings without much shown beforehand becomes a trend and is a product of coaching.

Ollie needs to shake up his staff, the bench isn't supposed to become a Mount Rushmore of hustle guys from back in the day. And Glen Miller? I don't even need to say anything you can just fill in whatever you want in the empty space that follows.

Reaction Score
Mau, I agree. But what is also scary is the fact we don't defend the 3 ball. And this has been a consistent fact during much of KOs reign. Teams can dropped it in the paint kick out and get up a clean 3 over and over again. If Brimah is such a great defender than why do we have to hedge of 3 pt shooters to help him on a 6'6' guy?
The lack of adjustments for the coaching staff in the 2nd half was disappointing. Letting it get back to double digits without an earlier timeout was a major mistake and has become the norm. And whatever KO said at half didn't register with this team.

Jalen pounds the ball to much to get nothing. And last night he was soft. Soft driving to the hole. Doesn't seem right know to have the leadership at the pt our past 3 pts had. And yes he's not them but he was considered to be in their mold. AG got more done in less minutes running the point.

Enoch look lost.

Nothing Purvis did surprised me. He has had many games like this and he'll play better but for me this is what you he from him more often than not. Something happens mentally with him.

Reaction Score
This team looked like a team that believed way too much in their own hype. That's on all of them. Hopefully it'll be a learning experience and light a fire.

The loss sucks. It's embarrassing. But it's one game of a long season. Plenty of time to turn it around.

Agree on the hype thing, and the funny thing is it wasn't the frosh it was the experienced returning guys. They thought they could just turn it on when they had to, hopefully they realized they're not at all that good!

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agree on the hype thing, and the funny thing is it wasn't the frosh it was the experienced returning guys. They thought they could just turn it on when the had to, hopefully they realized they're not at all that good!
I'll admit, I was kind of lulled into thinking that, too. I was only half paying attention for a lot of the game, watching the score and messing around on my phone, thinking we were just playing like crap and would turn it on in enough time to pull out the win. Then with around seven minutes left I started to feel like it really wasn't going to happen.

The substitutions annoyed the crap out of me. I could barely get a sense of a player or a lineup and, poof, it was gone.

But the two constants were Gilbert and Larrier. They looked ready and confident throughout to my eyes.

Gilbert made an immediate impression on me like I haven't had since Khalid. Much different game, obviously, but the confidence made it seem like he's a smaller Kemba with some of Khalid's moxie. Maybe a Travis Best type? Whatever it was, my takeaway is that it has me more optimistic than negative this morning.

Reaction Score
Look I'm trying to understand why anyone would think we deserve the hype? RP, Brimah and Facey are not new to us. We know them and none are stars. TL hadn't played in a year. Adams should promise but really wasn't that good as a freshman. Couldn't shot and didn't play D well last year. And we had a good to great recruiting class but with only 1 guaranteed producer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
AG - Wow electric, needed to ball in his hands at the end of the game, much more. He should have it and JA should be one of his kick to's or cutters not the other way around. No TO's is excellent for his first game and he can take his man almost at will. 3 rebounds too like the kids game a ton.
Yep, it's the light at the end of the tunnel.
Terry Larrier - 19/7 is a solid performance. Have to expect a couple TO's but needs to be a little tighter with the ball, but we did see a glimpse of who he is and who he can be. Lots there, lucky to have him!!
You can see the pieces. They'll come together.
Coach Miller - Fire him, the bigs suck
Agree regarding the need for a big man coach.

Reaction Score
Look I'm trying to understand why anyone would think we deserve the hype? RP, Brimah and Facey are not new to us. We know them and none are stars. TL hadn't played in a year. Adams should promise but really wasn't that good as a freshman. Couldn't shot and didn't play D well last year. And we had a good to great recruiting class but with only 1 guaranteed producer.

Boat who turned out to be a great defender, had trouble for a couple of years with understanding how important it was to always try to keep himself between the basket and his man. Despite what people think we don't have great interior defense so they need to stay on man, not take chances and wander thinking they are anticipating off the ball. This loss of attention all leads to the open 3's with people running around aimlessly. Way too much of that last night for sure.

Reaction Score
Yep, it's the light at the end of the tunnel.

You can see the pieces. They'll come together.
Agree regarding the need for a big man coach.

I was sarcastic on the big mans coach CL ;)

Reaction Score
Boat who turned out to be a great defender, had trouble for a couple of years with understanding how important it was to always try to keep himself between the basket and his man. Despite what people think we don't have great interior defense so they need to stay on man, not take chances and wander thinking they are anticipating off the ball. This loss of attention all leads to the open 3's with people running around aimlessly. Way too much of that last night for sure.

Yeah but he showed he could score the first time he was on the floor.

Reaction Score
In the 2 exhibitions, I saw a lot of selfishness. Settling for the more difficult shot. Not making the extra pass to the open man. I think we saw that out there tonight, even from our two best players who were hitting them. There was a pretty high degree of difficulty for the shots Gilbert and Larrier made. All the players were looking to score immediately, just like in the exhibition games. It has carried over. None of them setting picks or positioning themselves for rebounds.

Also, as critical as I am of Enoch's play last night, he needs minutes to learn through his mistakes. I don't like it when he becomes a black hole down there. Make a move, one on one, but when the double comes, pass out of it. I just think he needs to learn by playing, use his big body to clear people out and make space for rebounding. Live with the mistakes he will make. Let him learn.

Enoch for center is my vote.

I would try this lineup: Gilbert, Adams, Purvis, Larrier, Enoch, with Facey and Vance Jackson first off the bench for Purvis and Larrier.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No chemistry and no good shooters is tough to overcome no matter how long and athletic you are. The we saw is the team I feared we were. Time for KO to earn his money.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The silver lining belongs entirely to players playing their first game. Gilbert, Larrier and Vital impressed.
The seniors were pedestrian to horrible. The sophomores showed they were not ready to take over.
It is certainly time to stop just blaming our bigs and take a hard look at their coaching/development. Every big we get can't be hopeless.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'll admit, I was kind of lulled into thinking that, too. I was only half paying attention for a lot of the game, watching the score and messing around on my phone, thinking we were just playing like crap and would turn it on in enough time to pull out the win. Then with around seven minutes left I started to feel like it really wasn't going to happen.

The substitutions annoyed the crap out of me. I could barely get a sense of a player or a lineup and, poof, it was gone.

But the two constants were Gilbert and Larrier. They looked ready and confident throughout to my eyes.

Gilbert made an immediate impression on me like I haven't had since Khalid. Much different game, obviously, but the confidence made it seem like he's a smaller Kemba with some of Khalid's moxie. Maybe a Travis Best type? Whatever it was, my takeaway is that it has me more optimistic than negative this morning.
I agree about the substitutions thing. On one hand, Ollie's coaching and manipulation of the lineups during the 2014 title run were magic. Like I kid you not ive watched each game on uconnhuskygames at minimum 15 times EACH (no joke), and KO had a great answer for every matchup and assignment. Yet ever since then, he has been way too quick to pull guys and play experimental lineups. To me, a 5 man squad becomes like a line in hockey throughout the season, they develop chemistry and learn how to play with each other. With Ollie basically playing NBA 2K coaching simulator until mid-February, I feel like our guys get no traction with a set lineup.

Overall, the coaching staff is just getting way to cute with their management, especially in game lately. Pick your guys and roll with them, we arent in a major conference anymore, we dont get major program "benefit of the doubt" anymore, we get the same level of respect and attention as cincinnati (which should make you depressed because no one gives a s*** about UC nationally), so we cant afford these types of losses anymore. Last night I was watching the Indiana v Kansas game and these guys would blow us out of the gym. The athletes, guys who can finish, shoot, actual offensive sets and motion.

UConn of the last 5 years would be embarrassed in one of these big time OOC opening night games that KU, MSU, Duke, UK play every year. We are absolutely NEVER prepared to take on these early season teams. If you want to know why UConn seems to not get the respect teams with similar success seem to get, just look at our play to find your answer.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I was very, very impressed with A. Gilbert. Looked like a Junior instead of his first game. Poised, polished and Boat type speed. That's a great start.
Larrier and Vital pretty impressive. They pretty much hustled and looked like they knew what to do. No comment on the rest. It is going to be a very long
season if they don't wake up and start to execute.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Spot on Mau.

Thought Gilbert was the best player on the court for us and that has me excited for a back court of him and Adams.

Larrier contributed on the offensive end but it did remind me of a Carmelo Anthony (Knicks) esque offensive performance where the total stats were there but a lot of it came in isolation and on tough shots.

Purvis was a total no show and even had a patented turnover by stepping out of bounds. Need more from him but I expect we will see that from him and Adams.

The bad. Brimah, Enoch, Facey.

I've been with Mau through the years that Brimah is who he is, a helpful but extremely flawed player who is the same guy he was his freshman year. An absolute zero on offense, doesn't contribute on the glass and too often leaves his man and sells out for blocks.

Enoch looks terribly slow out there and always out of position on D. For such a big and presumably strong kid, I can't imagine how he can't grab more boards. On the offensive end, he clearly has some moves but seems rushed and puts up some very inaccurate shots.

Facey, see above with Brimah except the decent rebounding (solely due to athelticism/reaction not boxing out) and less blocks. Seems like the staff has really done a discredit to him during his stay here. There's no way that after 4 seasons under Calhoun Facey and Brimah would be who they are today. That's a gold standard to live up but it's also the facts.

I thought our ranking was undeservingly high but at the same time losing to Wagner at Gampel? What the hell has happened to our program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom