Morning After Thoughts | The Boneyard

Morning After Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tulsa made our team look slow. Whether that is the fact our guys weren't ready or they were faster I am unsure, but I doubt we need to look much further than passion in this one because there wasn't much.

I've said it all along as have others, this team's identity is defense and they need to bring it from the tip, they don't - none of them do. They win a few and it's all about "we're playing real good now, we know how good we are" blah blah blah.......well your not!

Slow start - actually slow is such a nice word, pitiful start is more like it. Looked like a bad high school team for the first 10 minutes so they get to play catch up yet again.

FT's? Wow, how bad can you be? Not the reason for the loss but our PG is not Bazz there now is he?

Big guys? Just a bad game from every one of them. All looked lost on defense for the most part. In defense of them some of that was because Boat, Rodney and Omar were getting torched all night and they were helping, or it's called helping but they really don't know how half the time. They aren't basketball smart and it showed in a big way tonight. For those who annointed Kentan the next coming, relax. He's in the same slump you guys proclaim DHam was in and his impact is nearly nothing minus a few open boards. If he wants to be a player, he needs to first be a man and step in to make plays. Amida - well he is so far fromt he finished product. His foul trouble hurt once again and this time it's all on him. He didn't need to even make contact when he got #2 but he doesn't have the sense. He made a difference when they made a run but too little too late. He needs to be smarter ALL game not late, just like everyone else. Rock, unlike Cincy he didn't make the good decisions and didn't move his feet last night. Got lost too deep in hedges and men flew by.

Boat - hey you're going to miss shots and not make shots every night. That is not the point here as he should get the occasional pass. But last night was strange to say the least from your leader. Came out not guarding like Boat can guard, not close. Good news is his guy couldn't score either but bad news is he left the bigs in disarray in the lane, as did Rodney and Omar. He came out 2nd half and made a great drive and 1, and was said to be looking to be more aggressive. Instead he continuously passed up open looks from the foul line and extended in order to, well, do nothing but give it to people who couldn't score? Not sure of his intentions last night but they weren't that of the gu we've seen as of late. Injury, sick?

Inbounds plays - coaching needs to be better here. A simple in bounds play is like a chore for these guys. JC used to have announcers praising his ability to score off the in bounds play now all we do is "try" to throw it out to the top of the key, sometimes without anyone there but the other team. It's plain awful and while many would like to blame DHam, this is all on the staff - get people open and not Phil Nolan 30 feet from the basket!

Rodney/Omar - rebound on the weak side - he gets caught flatfooted way too much for my liking and has to foul. He's big enough and strong enough to get 4-5 rebounds a game, if he wants to. Right now, the effort is all on offense. While he has improved defensively he still loses his guy. While many want Omar to take his minutes they need to look on the defensive end to see why he's not. He really is the guy who can't guard a chair. And because of that his minutes were taken from him last night for sure. His neck had to hurt watching them fly by and I'm sorry but that's just not being ready.

Can't sugarcoat this loss, this team. It's 9-6 and for a reason. Tulsa is okay but should never be more passionate about a game than the Huskies and they were, it was evident form the outset and downright scary to see how this Husky team reacted. There was nothing in the eyes of this team and that's not UConn. Let's be honest while many would love to say "we could be 12-3 now" I look at this team , minus the comeback vs Florida and the squeak vs Cincy as a team who could be 8-7, 7-8. You wear UConn on your chest to play like the teams of the past for 40 minutes, not for the last 5. I love that KO is giving them NO credit for the comeback, they deserve none. They aren't good enough to throw their uni's out there and beat people but it seems like they think they are. Not a good trait and they have basically put themselves into winning the AAC tourney to be a real Husky team.

The positives - TSam played his hear out and tried to keep them in it, and he kind of did. He played a good game, made some shots and worked on D real hard. DHam played his nuts off, a couple bad passes but 12 boards showed he wanted to win this game. The only other positive was that Jenny Dell wore a real tight white sweater and was doing this game.

Other than that, this was a frustrating a game I've watched in a real long time. If I had posted last night I would've sounded like more of a negative poster than I still fell this morning. As I said no sugarcoating, they need to get back to their identity and quite worrying about headlines because what I saw wreaked of overconfidence by a team not deserving of that!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Too many guys look like they don't know how to play basketball. Too many one game wonders. TSam had a great game tonight, last time it was Omar. Purvis had one good game in a row. Only Facey and Boat seem to show up every night.

Going to lose many games against terrible teams doing that, and Tulsa is terrible. Should have lost that game by 40 based on our guys play.

Reaction Score
I feel like I got too drunk last and woke up next to the most unattractive girl on the planet- like huge with Doritos all over her face. Last night she was a 7 out of 10 - today not so much.

I'll keep saying it- enjoy the good games and let the bad ones go- we lost 4 starters and won the NCAA last year. This was never going to be anything but a year where UCONN fans could " enjoy" ( please see above) watching ours guys improve and putting together the next group of players that can make a run.

We are a spoiled rotten fan base.

Reaction Score
I feel like I got too drunk last and woke up next to the most unattractive girl on the planet- like huge with Doritos all over her face. Last night she was a 7 out of 10 - today not so much.

I'll keep saying it- enjoy the good games and let the bad ones go- we lost 4 starters and won the NCAA last year. This was never going to be anything but a year where UCONN fans could " enjoy" ( please see above) watching ours guys improve and putting together the next group of players that can make a run.

I didn't expect much from the year except we are UConn and you never know. Once I saw them dig in for full games on the defensive end vs the Longhorns, Blue Devils and gators I thought they would get it though and potentially live off their D. Instead they don't play with the same passion as they do vs the big programs and that is the most frustrating thing. Not missing shots, not being awful offensively sometime or FT shooting instead the fact they don't realize what can make them better at all of those things, play D ALL GAME not just when you feel its time. Tulsa is DUKE for them and the fact they don't know that sucks!

Reaction Score

I agree and at the beginning of the season preached patience, tolerance and rebuilding. My problem is that I come here and inadvertently drink the kool-aid, fully knowing that it ain't happening this year. We win two games in a row and immediately talk about Tournament and winning out.

Or worse players have one or two good games and they become all-conference candidates. I should know better but damn some of these posters are convincing as hell.

I must not become so influenced and go back to trusting my eyes. We have only one senior, and one and a half juniors with a roster of good but not great talent. Every team has us marked on their calendar and will play us like they are a top 10 team.

So why the fruck do I continue to drink the kool-aid?

Reaction Score
Team played awful, not really any bright spots outside of TSam, and he had his bad moments.

Team played sloppy, very sloppy, and was not helped by the refs or Ollie. All around train wreck. Oh, and 8-18 on FREE throws makes me want to puke.

But it is one game, and it was on the road, and it was Tulsa's Superbowl (see every game at PC for decades).

We were underdogs in the game, so it is not like we lost to CCSU here.

It is just one game, our RPI went down 4 spots based on it, Kenpom barely affected, in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal, unless the team does not fix the mistakes made in the game.

Reaction Score
It's the coaching. The younger players need to be developed, but they are still very talented. Ollie has said that he thinks it's a players game, but it's really not at this level.

Reaction Score
Team played awful, not really any bright spots outside of TSam, and he had his bad moments.

Team played sloppy, very sloppy, and was not helped by the refs or Ollie. All around train wreck. Oh, and 8-18 on FREE throws makes me want to puke.

But it is one game, and it was on the road, and it was Tulsa's Superbowl (see every game at PC for decades).

We were underdogs in the game, so it is not like we lost to CCSU here.

It is just one game, our RPI went down 4 spots based on it, Kenpom barely affected, in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal, unless the team does not fix the mistakes made in the game.
It is a big deal as it brings us one or two more losses from having to win the automatic berth and not getting in as an at large team. Our margin after last night has made the Stanford game an almost have to win to get an at large bid. This team is very average from their performances so far.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
So, the UConn train wreck traveled to Oklahoma, played a game the started near bed time, missed most of its free throws and a lot of layups,
played defense for only a quarter of the game while the coach slept on the bench, played a an NCAA tournament team with all of its key players returning on their home court in the biggest game in their lives and lost in the last two minutes because UConn failed to secure a defensive rebound in a two possession game with the worse referring crew in the universe, so just think how good this team will be when Ollie wakes up and we hit a couple of free throws and play defense for half game. At home in the the AAC Tournament with real refs.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So, the UConn train wreck traveled to Oklahoma, played a game the started near bed time, missed most of its free throws and a lot of layups,
played defense for only a quarter of the game while the coach slept on the bench, played a an NCAA tournament team with all of its key players returning on their home court in the biggest game in their lives and lost in the last two minutes because UConn failed to secure a defensive rebound in a two possession game with the worse referring crew in the universe, so just think how good this team will be when Ollie wakes up and we hit a couple of free throws and play defense for half game. At home in the the AAC Tournament with real refs.
I'm starting to think this team is incapable of playing good defense for 40 minutes. I think I'm starting to think that they're just not up to snuff.

Reaction Score
It is a big deal as it brings us one or two more losses from having to win the automatic berth and not getting in as an at large team. Our margin after last night has made the Stanford game an almost have to win to get an at large bid. This team is very average from their performances so far.
If you think this team is a loss away from needing to win the AACT to get a berth than you are very very lost and uninformed.

Reaction Score
If you think this team is a loss away from needing to win the AACT to get a berth than you are very very lost and uninformed.

12-3 at worst with a couple wins in the league tourney and this would still have us wondering come Sunday. Margin for error went down dramatically last night I agree with Bass.

Reaction Score
It's the coaching. The younger players need to be developed, but they are still very talented. Ollie has said that he thinks it's a players game, but it's really not at this level.

While some of what you say is true, the game isn't always as easy as "developing". To learn the game at this level is never easy and if you don't bring some sort if basketball intellect or fundamentals with you there are times you cannot improve all that much or all that fast. We see that as we speak and we know they have worked throughout last year, the summer and in practices as we speak. To bring what you learn to the court isn't always easy and you see that especially in Brimah and Facey, they are years behind in some of the intricacies of the game. You can be a great athlete, a decent scorer and many other qualities of the game, but if you aren't in the right spot, don't know how to read rebounds or dribble/pass the ball you suddenly become just that, an athlete who on occasion throws a nice game in. We have a few of those guys who can't "do it all", even if it's just being decent at some of their weaker attributes. Too many!

Reaction Score
12-3 at worst with a couple wins in the league tourney and this would still have us wondering come Sunday. Margin for error went down dramatically last night I agree with Bass.
Of course the margin for error went down, but 12-3 is also different than 14-1 or even 13-2.

12-3 would give us an RPI in the 30s, anything better than that in the 20s.

We definitely cannot keep racking up loses, but we are not in win out or no shot territory either.

Reaction Score
Of course the margin for error went down, but 12-3 is also different than 14-1 or even 13-2.

12-3 would give us an RPI in the 30s, anything better than that in the 20s.

We definitely cannot keep racking up loses, but we are not in win out or no shot territory either.

All good but watching this team do you believe they can go 12-3? Seriously I know "they can" but unlike last year there is no one who's going to become Deandre special, no one and that's an issue. And that's saying that Boat can be 75% of Bazz to boot.

Hope last night was a kick in the balls for them but there's just something missing for me. I hope I am wrong but the tunnel I am looking through I'm afraid all the lights are off.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

With Real Refs???????
The AAC is not a place for real refs - if you haven't seen that by now - wow
Not saying the refs lost the game for UConn but did we really need a whistle on every possession? There was absolutely no flow. I saw Frank H working the refs all night but KO remained silent - that ain't gonna work with these refs.

Reaction Score
We need some quality wins. Right now the only one is really Dayton and maybe cincy but that was on our home floor. Don't kid yourself and think finishing with 5 losses in the AAC with only one quality win out of conference and a really bad loss to Yale will get us in as an at large. This conference isn't that good. We can't afford more than maybe two more losses in conference. This Stanford game is huge as it gives us some wiggle room even with 3 more losses in conference. It really is looking like AAC tourney champion or bust. Well I will still watch them as I have done my 35+ years but this year after winning it all last year with our horrible conference has been tough to deal with. We aren't talking about 3rd to 5th place in the big east we are going to be this in the AAC AAC ! Yuck!

Reaction Score
All good but watching this team do you believe they can go 12-3? Seriously I know "they can" but unlike last year there is no one who's going to become Deandre special, no one and that's an issue. And that's saying that Boat can be 75% of Bazz to boot.

Hope last night was a kick in the balls for them but there's just something missing for me. I hope I am wrong but the tunnel I am looking through I'm afraid all the lights are off.
Oh yea, that is the million dollar question, can they actually go 12-3. I am not sure they can, I do not think I would bet on it.

Reaction Score
With Real Refs???????
The AAC is not a place for real refs - if you haven't seen that by now - wow
Not saying the refs lost the game for UConn but did we really need a whistle on every possession? There was absolutely no flow. I saw Frank H working the refs all night but KO remained silent - that ain't gonna work with these refs.

The refs were awful the whole game, for both squads. I mean they called 2 real questionable moving screens on Nolan which weren't half as bad as every move that Swannegan made for them Amongst other guests by the stripes it was whistle fest which they seemed fully in control of their whistles only, not the game. Feel bad for both teams and the flow, they were putrid and usually are in this league. Again, nothing to do with us losing but the refs are and were bad again!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's the nature of development and it's been said time and again, but progress is not linear. Anyone who has a teenager will tell you that; and anyone who is close enough to being one to remember it, should.

And the same is true for KO's development as a coach. Last night was not the finest moment for the team or the staff. There will be other bad nights, but hopefully more good ones.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Last night's refs were Kelly Self, Tom Eades and Bert Smith...all of them are guys who work top-level games.

Reaction Score
Just watching the game that i had to tape having a personal engagement. It really is a sloppy game. Phil Nolan has done absolutely nothing except give out fouls and there is very little creating room for open shots. a lot of standing around waiting for the next guy to move. when a shot is open it has been a brick. Free throws are horrible. Tulsa isn't much better, but they are a little less sucky than UCONN. they have hit some open shots whereas UCONN has hit very few. a lot of layups rolling around the rim and out. they are getting talented at that. facey has been the biggest culprit in that respect. I don't see how they could have won this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom