Morgan Valley New HC of Hartford. | The Boneyard

Morgan Valley New HC of Hartford.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Gillespie Tabs Morgan Valley to Lead Hartford Women's Basketball

A dynamic coach who has spent time as an assistant in the Pac-12, Atlantic Coast Conference, America East, Atlantic 10, Colonial Athletic Association, Patriot League and the BIG EAST, Valley brings more than 14 years of Division I coaching experience to Hartford. Valley's career arc includes stops at the University of Arizona, University of Washington, Virginia Tech University, University of Massachusetts, University of New Hampshire, Towson University, the College of the Holy Cross and the University of Connecticut.

Congrats to Morgan.

Reaction Score

A dynamic coach who has spent time as an assistant in the Pac-12, Atlantic Coast Conference, America East, Atlantic 10, Colonial Athletic Association, Patriot League and the BIG EAST, Valley brings more than 14 years of Division I coaching experience to Hartford. Valley's career arc includes stops at the University of Arizona, University of Washington, Virginia Tech University, University of Massachusetts, University of New Hampshire, Towson University, the College of the Holy Cross and the University of Connecticut.

Congrats to Morgan.
Maybe she'll want to restart a series with Uconn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Morgan! I wish her the best! Hoping she's able to lead Hartford to the top of their conference. Tough school to recruit to. Jen Rizotti had some success there, then pretty much fell off the face of the earth basketball-wise. Hope Morgan fares better!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
. . . Jen Rizotti had some success there, then pretty much fell off the face of the earth basketball-wise. . . .

Actually Kim McNeil had some success there, as evidenced by her
being hired away to ECU.

Reaction Score

Congrats to Morgan.

Many of the UConn kids after graduation were gracious, kind, caring, and helpful. My personal experience with MorGan Valley says that about her and Much much more.
If the world were mine to give--Morgan would have it. She is that nice and treated an old couple with great caring and understanding. My heart near explodes with this news. Congratulations Morgan no one has worked harder to put herself in this position. Bless you..

Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno would be willing, but this is not like the "old days" when we could afford to schedule a throwaway game. Every OOC game has to help our SOS.
This is GENO and one of his kids. If asked could he deny her? Not the Geno of the past.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Way To Go, Big Valley!!!!

So happy for you!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Morgan!

This story is a repeat but it was from years ago....so here goes.

I was at an AAU tourney in Albany in June....happened to be after Morgan's junior year.
I was watching some game and one player clearly stood out....great fundamentals....snazzy passing...great perimeter shooting. I had no idea who she was but there was lady sitting close by. I went over and asked her if she knew who the player was. She said she did....it was Morgan Valley and she happened to be her daughter. I had never heard of her at that point.

Cool! We chatted a bit about her game and I said I was a huge UConn fan. Mom said that the family...Morgan/Ashley/Mom/Dad had just left Storrs after meeting with Geno. My ears perked up a bit....more than a bit. She said that Geno had offered Morgan a scholarship....and that had shocked the entire family.
They knew Geno was recruiting her but had zero expectations of an offer at that meeting.
That 'shock' led to tears....from Morgan herself. Morgan promptly began a 'discussion' with Geno about whether she had the ability to play at a UConn level....with Morgan expressing doubt. After a few minutes of this back/forth Geno [with mock anger] told Morgan to stop it...that he knew more about this than she did.
This came across as extremely amusing from Mom.

Morgan accepted the offer later that summer before her senior year started. I think Mom said that Rutgers/Old Dominion and of course Vermont had offered both Morgan and Ashley. ND and UConn offered only Morgan with Geno saying that he would be back in a year and seriously look at Ashley.

Well...Morgan could play at the UConn level but ailments/injuries [and maybe too much self-inflicted pressure to be perfect] never allowed her too.

BTW: I think it was Dee [part of that recruiting class] who tabbed her as "The Larry Bird of Vermont".
Pretty much right on....not the most athletic player but shooter/passer/French pastry/huge effort/great fundamentals...all 'yes'.

BTW#2: Dee and Morgan roomed together their frosh year and I remember reading they had to be separated at some point....too much competitiveness/arguing/fighting between them. Not really a surprise.
Nice to see Dee's whole-hearted endorsement of Morgan for the UHart job.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ESPN3 is carrying the Hartford Women's Basketball Coach - Press Conference
It is live now at 11:15 Eastern Time. I assume it may be accessed in replay mode for those who cant hide at work and watch directly. :)

AD Gillespie giving a stirring introduction. :)

Geno and CD in the audience and were mentioned. :)

Morgan Valley at 11:18

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One question that came up was whether they will play UConn.

She looked at Geno and CD and said yes. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Few isolated points that resounded with me.

1) Question. Do you have a time table about getting to the NCAA Tournament?

Answer: No, as I learned from Coach, your focus is on tjhe process and getting the details right. If you do the little things well, the big stuff will follow.

2) Question What kind of recruits do you want

Answer: Player's with chips on their shoulders. (aka, those that feel disrespected). She mentioned Cierra Dillard in that category + a few others I cant recall.

3) Question How do you want your team to play?

Like the other team feels like they were in a war. Defense and Effort. Less running and more a balance etc. etc.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1555621330110.png

UConn alum Morgan Valley introduced as University of Hartford women’s basketball coach

“Some players just play the game. Morgan was always someone who looked at the game differently," Auriemma said. "She studied the game a little bit differently. She always wanted to know what everybody was doing, instead of just, ‘what’s my role?’ You can tell when someone truly, truly, truly loves the game, and the game is really important in their lives. That was evident in Morgan from the time she was in eighth grade or ninth grade. … I think her passion and her love for the game has only grown since then. That’s the [kind of person] you want in the coaching profession.”

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Morgan!

This story is a repeat but it was from years ago....so here goes.

I was at an AAU tourney in Albany in June....happened to be after Morgan's junior year.
I was watching some game and one player clearly stood out....great fundamentals....snazzy passing...great perimeter shooting. I had no idea who she was but there was lady sitting close by. I went over and asked her if she knew who the player was. She said she did....it was Morgan Valley and she happened to be her daughter. I had never heard of her at that point.

Cool! We chatted a bit about her game and I said I was a huge UConn fan. Mom said that the family...Morgan/Ashley/Mom/Dad had just left Storrs after meeting with Geno. My ears perked up a bit....more than a bit. She said that Geno had offered Morgan a scholarship....and that had shocked the entire family.
They knew Geno was recruiting her but had zero expectations of an offer at that meeting.
That 'shock' led to tears....from Morgan herself. Morgan promptly began a 'discussion' with Geno about whether she had the ability to play at a UConn level....with Morgan expressing doubt. After a few minutes of this back/forth Geno [with mock anger] told Morgan to stop it...that he knew more about this than she did.
This came across as extremely amusing from Mom.

Morgan accepted the offer later that summer before her senior year started. I think Mom said that Rutgers/Old Dominion and of course Vermont had offered both Morgan and Ashley. ND and UConn offered only Morgan with Geno saying that he would be back in a year and seriously look at Ashley.

Well...Morgan could play at the UConn level but ailments/injuries [and maybe too much self-inflicted pressure to be perfect] never allowed her too.

BTW: I think it was Dee [part of that recruiting class] who tabbed her as "The Larry Bird of Vermont".
Pretty much right on....not the most athletic player but shooter/passer/French pastry/huge effort/great fundamentals...all 'yes'.

BTW#2: Dee and Morgan roomed together their frosh year and I . remember reading they had to be separated at some point....too much competitiveness/arguing/fighting between them. Not really a surprise.
Nice to see Dee's whole-hearted endorsement of Morgan for the UHart job.
Thank you for a great story on Morgan. Morgan is a classic Type A person. She must do everything, be everything to everyone. She gets things done, but the cost to her body is harmful. I love this woman. Your story just added her mom to my list of great people.
I may be mistaken , but I think the Valley family has Native American Blood in their veins, that would be the source of her work ethic.
Thank you Thank you thank you , nice story.

Reaction Score

I like this. That's the Valley we saw many times and had long conversations with. She is about as down to earth person one would every speak to. No pretense, not BS, straight talk on a friend to friend/person to person basis---like the bit about dads shorts, pure Morgan. I was a fan before she arrived at Uconn--I liked the idea of a New England girl playing for Geno, and I never was disappointed in this young woman. If you are close to U of H, go to their games, speak with Morgan, she is very approachable--but don't tell her how to coach, she's no milk toast personality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom