Morgan Tuck - 5th Year | The Boneyard

Morgan Tuck - 5th Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hadn't seen this before - and it's the most first person definitive positioning I've seen (from Voepel article on ESPN).

"This is Tuck's fourth year at UConn, so she would be eligible for the 2016 draft, just like Stewart and Jefferson. But she expects to be at UConn in 2016-17, too.

"My plan is to stay, definitely," Tuck said. "I know basketball isn't going to last forever, and I could get my master's in a year by being on scholarship. And that's looking really appealing.

"It allows me to be in that leadership role for another year, and get my game where I really want it to be. Being here, they make you better. They hold you very accountable and put you in the best position possible for the next step."

Absolutely great if that's what happens.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Scroll around a little, just a little
2014-10-13-What_the_hell.png

Reaction Score
Please stay Morgan! Morgan wants to get her Master's so it makes sense for her to use her red shirt year.

Reaction Score
If Morgan wants to be a better basketball player she faces a true dilemma. Improve by remaining at UConn and under the tutelage of the game's best coach or go pro and improve by competing against the game's best players. Taking a two year time slice, which is really the crux of the decision, will she be a better player two years after this season by spending one year at UConn and one as a pro, or two years as a pro? Of course her actual decision is not nearly as one-dimensional as my example, but if being the best basketball player is her goal, will she achieve that by staying or leaving? I don't know the answer. Maybe I'll start a poll.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Interesting, since.... can't recall which of the announcers talked about this - Notre Dame game? - they felt pretty sure that the W was in her future next year. Her game reminds my a lot of Asjha Jones, and she's got the body to succeed in the pros. Wonder if she has the knees.

Reaction Score
Not only is Morgan an unbelievable basketball talent, and great person, she is incredibly smart! She is a business major and understands that for the vast majority of WNBA/overseas players, their basketball careers will not set them up financially for life (unlike most NBA players). Can't see her passing up a free year of education at UCONN-from both Geno and the fine business school faculty. Which is great for us UCONN fans because MORGAN ROCKS!!!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why is it a bad thing for somebody to have a differing opinion?
Having a different OPINION is fine. Making things up when there are other facts that are simply black and white is just silly.
She wouldn't be the first person in the world to ever change their mind.
And Chong or Boykin could choose to change their mind and transfer. And Dangerfield could change her mind and decommit. And Butler could decide her injury is too much, change her mind and quit hoops. And Geno could change his mind and decide tomorrow to retire. And I could decide to cross the wrong street and be hit by a bus.

Of course Morgan COULD change her mind. And we'd all be disappointed, miss her terribly, but love her all the same and root like hell for her to succeed wherever she goes. The point is there is ZERO evidence that she's even considering that, and this comes from her own lips. :confused:

Reaction Score
Sounds like an excellent plan (staying to get M.A. or M.S.)!
Or MBA.

Three reasons Morgan Tuck WILL stay at UConn for next year:

1. She gets a graduate degree for free. (I'm not going into the manifold advantages of this, but for someone as cerebral as Morgan, it's a no-brainer--pardon the pun)
  2. She will have an excellent chance of becoming the only individual in NCAA basketball to have earned five national championships (with her returning, Natalie at center, and our new forwards/wings, UConn will be the force again next year)
  3. She will go higher in the draft next year than she will this year (which means more exposure/hype which means higher future earning potential overseas)

Reaction Score
Having a different OPINION is fine. Making things up when there are other facts that are simply black and white is just silly.
And Chong or Boykin could choose to change their mind and transfer. And Dangerfield could change her mind and decommit. And Butler could decide her injury is too much and quit hoops. And Geno could decide tomorrow to retire. And I could decide to cross the wrong street and be hit by a bus.

Of course Morgan COULD change her mind. The point is there is ZERO evidence that she's even considering that, and this comes from her own lips. :confused:
As recently as August/September she was on TV saying that she's considering it and that she'll have to talk with her coaches and family when the time comes. I think there was even a thread about it on here for those that caught that interview. People keep going back to that one quote about "free school" from last April, well, we can go back to that quote about her wanting to leave with her class too. We simply have no idea what she is going to do. Kids say one thing to the cameras, and then go do another. If those that actually talk to Geno (Doris, Becca, etc.) pregame, postgame, whenever, think Morgan could leave, well then it must be a distinct possibility and not some figment of our imagination. During the game last night Becca mentioned that she talked to Geno about it yesterday morning and then continued on talking about how Tuck would be the 3rd draft pick behind Stewie and Mo.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Morgan is a wonderful, talented, amazing player and leader. Who is unlikely to get her just due - All American status - because she plays with Stewie and Mo, who get most of the ink. Not to mention that the powers-that-be who select the All American team aren't going to put three UConn players on it. Morgan's best shot at the Gampel Wall - which she openly admits she wants - is to stay for that free masters degree.

Reaction Score
True, but there is no reason to speculate about that until she gives some other indication of her intentions. She has said she is coming back on multiple occasions.
Isn't this is a fan forum where the whole point is to SPECULATE?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I like the word "definitely" in her statement. I sleep better now.

I don't think she has much to gain basketball-wise by coming back. I've said before here that a possible fifth championship per se is a good reason. That of course might be moot when decision-making time rolls around.

She has much to gain in other respects. My fervent hope is that she will heed the words of Those Who Have Gone Before, that basketball life is never the same again.Pro life has to be a lonely life, without the fist-class trappings that UCONN provides. Beyond that, she can use the year to continue to develop professional relationships within the business arena.

And let us not overlook other relationships that might come into play. For one example, she seems to value her sorority experience highly.

So, I'm bullish on her coming back.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Late edit on above post: A possible fifth championship is NOT a good reason.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Something that she specifically refers to is the chance to work with the coaches at uconn for another year - one of the issue for pro athletes is that with condensed seasons, constantly changing teams, lots of travel, and players not living within the same neighborhood, the chance to really work with coaches and teammates is almost nonexistent. You get a few weeks of training camp, and then actual practice time is very limited, and is focused on team goals and not individual growth.
Not only are creature comforts pretty well taken care of as a student athlete, but you have access to coaches and trainers all the time, and access to facilities 24/7. And because all the little things of living are taken care of for you, you have the time to devote to honing your skills.

There are lots of reasons to go pro, and lots to stay for another year. It is a very personal decision, and it will get made in Morgan's own timeframe. Everyone would love to see her return, but she will make her decision with no regard to what we fans have to say on the matter.

Reaction Score
Isn't this is a fan forum where the whole point is to SPECULATE?
I'm with you on this one...if there was no speculation, the board would be totally boring. Having said that, I can understand why some posters take exception to speculating on an issue that is at odds with a respected players direct quote. In that case , it's almost as if speculation challenges the veracity of the player. IMO, that is clearly not your intention. One thing we can all agree on is that we want Morgan back next year!!!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm with you on this one...if there was no speculation, the board would be totally boring. Having said that, I can understand why some posters take exception to speculating on an issue that is at odds with a respected players direct quote. In that case , it's almost as if speculation challenges the veracity of the player. IMO, that is clearly not your intention. One thing we can all agree on is that we want Morgan back next year!!!
Heckuva point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22