More UConn to ACC smoke, assuming Notre Dame comes too | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More UConn to ACC smoke, assuming Notre Dame comes too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or join Xavier and thumb their noses at football schools and offer a Catholic Network EWTN II.

1. Gonzaga
2. Marquette
3. Notre Dame
4. St Johns
5. Dayton
6. Georgetown
7. Villanova
8. Creighton
9. Xavier
10. Saint Louis
11. Providence
12. Seton Hall
13 St Mary's
14. Richmond
15. Depaul
16 Duquesne

They'd get 7 teams in the NCAA every year. Sometimes more/
Not a chance. Beyond the fact tha tNotre Dame, and I suspect Georgetown and Villanova, but certainly the Irish would never in a million years agree to play in an all-Catholic conference, they would never get that many teams in.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Putting aside the requisite nonsense about the basketball schools being the source of all problems in the world, I am fairly confident that if an invitation was going to come, it would have happened already. UConn is in the Big East, and no amount of complaining by anyone is going to change that for the foreseeable future.

We just have to make the best of it.

Reaction Score
Putting aside the requisite nonsense about the basketball schools being the source of all problems in the world, I am fairly confident that if an invitation was going to come, it would have happened already. UConn is in the Big East, and no amount of complaining by anyone is going to change that for the foreseeable future.

We just have to make the best of it.
nelson,

as much as you like to say that, it totally misses the point. It is the Big East hybrid that is the problem. Not the basketball schools. We have a league with two sets of programs that are simply going in different directions and have very different overall athletic philosophies, to say nothing of the natures of the repective universities. That is the problem. It is a problem for the football schools, and since I care about UCONN and UCONN is a football school, yes, the smaller basketball schools are the problem. But my friend Bill, a huge Providence fan, sees it entirely differently. In his view, the football schools are the problem. If they would simply give up this football nonsense, in his view, and concentrate soley on basketball, everything would be just fine. St Johns, Providence, Seton hall, they only care about football to the extent it threatens to interphere with their basketball futures. UCONN, Louisville, Cincinatti, USF, they care about football and want to make decisions that benefit/protect/support football.

I suspect that there won't be an ACC invite in the near future, as well though I suspect that like Syracuse from 2003, we'll get one in a few years. We do have to make the best of a bad situation.

Reaction Score
nelson,

as much as you like to say that, it totally misses the point. It is the Big East hybrid that is the problem. Not the basketball schools. We have a league with two sets of programs that are simply going in different directions and have very different overall athletic philosophies, to say nothing of the natures of the repective universities. That is the problem.

I blame the actual basketball schools involved much more than the hybrid nature of the league. If the basketball schools were able to see the big picture and get out of the way of expansion years ago this whole situation would have been avoided. They never accepted the fact that if they wanted to be in a big time sports conference that they would have to be in the minority. I don't understand why they want an equal number of members, it should be enough that they have an equal vote in a major conference. No other non FBS football schools have it so good as them and yet they still don't go along with what the football schools feel would help the conference be a better football conference.

Reaction Score
my friend Bill, a huge Providence fan, sees it entirely differently. In his view, the football schools are the problem. If they would simply give up this football nonsense, in his view, and concentrate soley on basketball, everything would be just fine.
Geez, didn't PC dump it's baseball team just recently? Are they just basketball and x-country now? Or did they can x-country too?

Reaction Score
huskyjawz
That's irrelevent because they bring football to the table big time. To be part of a major conference,when your only contribution is basketball prowess, you had better be bringing a lot of it. Seton Hall, St Johns and Providence don't. Georgetown and Villanova are relativedly modest contributors over the past decade.

Reaction Score
huskyjawz
That's irrelevent because they bring football to the table big time. To be part of a major conference,when your only contribution is basketball prowess, you had better be bringing a lot of it. Seton Hall, St Johns and Providence don't. Georgetown and Villanova are relativedly modest contributors over the past decade.
well winning the national championship, isn't the only nmeasure of success

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will never join the ACC. It's the South. They have statues there celebrating Klan leaders. The Klan hates Catholics as much as they hate African-Americans. That stuff hasn't disappeared even if the Klan for the most part has. The fact that a bunch of Yankees have moved to the Research Triangle and Hilton Head doesn't change things all that much. Bob Jones University, where GOP candidates go to make their southern bones considers Catholicism a "dangerous cult." I truly believe ND wants no part of that nonsense.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will never join the ACC. It's the South. They have statues there celebrating Klan leaders. The Klan hates Catholics as much as they hate African-Americans. That stuff hasn't disappeared even if the Klan for the most part has. The fact that a bunch of Yankees have moved to the Research Triangle and Hilton Head doesn't change things all that much. Bob Jones University, where GOP candidates go to make their southern bones considers Catholicism a "dangerous cult." I truly believe ND wants no part of that nonsense.

I think you are overstating the cultural differences although they are certainly present. The real reason is quite simply they are not going to give up football independence anytime soon.

Reaction Score
At this point, which conferences would benefit if the new BCS format was such that ND had to join a conference. That is national championship participants in the plus 1 format or playoffs needed to be conference champions. Who would likely get ND first (easier road to the NC for them) or want ND more (exposure history etc)?

Reaction Score
At this point, which conferences would benefit if the new BCS format was such that ND had to join a conference. That is national championship participants in the plus 1 format or playoffs needed to be conference champions. Who would likely get ND first (easier road to the NC for them) or want ND more (exposure history etc)?

Any set up that eliminates AQ's for conferences is beneficial to ND. It would mean bowls would be free to select ND any time they have a winning record. So even if they have a tie in with one conference they will be able to try to get ND as the opponent.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Ole Miss is ditching Colonel Reb.

If they can let go of the hate, you should too.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
ND fields a good team for Bowl ratings and they always move tickets.

FWIW they waited for FSU to sellout to announce the sell out. ND was done with ticket sales early. Check the WVU/NC state figures from last year (48K versus 74K). Not even in the same league.
Champs Sports Bowl sold out for first time

Bowl officials announce official sellout hours after Florida State announced selling all of its tickets

December 07, 2011|By Coley Harvey, Orlando Sentinel

The Champs Sports Bowl will have a long-desired goal realized when Florida State and Notre Dame meet in the game Dec. 29. The Citrus Bowl's stands should be completely full.

Bowl officials Tuesday afternoon announced that for the first time in the game's 22-year history, it will be sold out.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
nelson,
. It is a problem for the football schools, and since I care about UCONN and UCONN is a football school, yes, the smaller basketball schools are the problem. But my friend Bill, a huge Providence fan, sees it entirely differently. In his view, the football schools are the problem. If they would simply give up this football nonsense, in his view, and concentrate soley on basketball, everything would be just fine. .

The BE basketball contract after the 2003 debacle was larger than the Football.

The basketball schools were amenable to an unheard of expansion. It was the best deal that could be brokered at the time and it worked out well. pical

Give the basketball schools credit: the knew the football teams would leave.
Even in the good old days the football schools were subject to a raid

Miami in 1999

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1999-10-22/news/9910220189_1_tranghese-tv-deals-status

It's known Tranghese tried to get rid of Miami and V Tech to the ACC earlier in 1998

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2003-05-22-tranghese-expansion_x.htm

This piece of Tranghese hate is from 1999 V Tech was mucho unhappy and ready to bolt.

One of our favorite whipping boys, Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese, is at it again. In a recent Charleston (WV) Gazette article titled Big Ten, London Calling Notre Dame This Week, the following paragraphs appeared:

Tranghese did comment on some of the other issues hanging over the Big East. Like Virginia Tech's hope to join the league as a full-time member.
"When we finish our strategic planning study,'' said the commish, "we'll turn the whole thing over to the [university] presidents.
"I'd imagine Virginia Tech would be on their agenda, and a decision would be made this spring.''
Apparently, the Big East football schools, including WVU, Boston College and Syracuse, are leery of keeping the football-only Hokies exposed to the outside elements of expansion.
"But it's not a business decision,'' said Tranghese. "It's about how to deal with friends, good people. Plus, they've really contributed in the football league.''​
Um, yeah, whatever, Mike. Train Grease has never been a big proponent of Virginia Tech or Virginia Tech football, so forgive me if reading those quotes makes me wonder what space alien has invaded Mike the Moron's body and has actually said something halfway complimentary of the Hokies.
First of all, it's always been a business decision, Mike. The numbers (dollars) and the balance of power have never added up for the basketball-only schools, so they have shut us out. Even when we were winning Big East football championships in 1995 and 1996 and fielding excellent men's basketball teams those same two years, it was never about on-the-field performance or "friends." It was about money and power, and that makes it a business decision.
Secondly, I doubt a "decision will be made this spring." There's absolutely no reason for the Big East to change their stance on Virginia Tech all-sports membership at this time. And as for Mikey's mythological schedules, does anyone remember the strategic planning report that was supposed to be finished and submitted to the Big East? In April? Of 1998?
Yep, never happened. Trained Geese's excuse then was that he was too busy brokering the bowl deals that eventually screwed over the Big East by handing the BEFC's Gator Bowl bid over to Notre Dame, and sent the great fans of West Virginia out to (geez!) the Insight.com bowl. So forgive me if Mike's promises for things to occur "next spring" fall on deaf ears here.
His excuse this time will probably be that he's busy trying to renegotiate the Big East's football TV contract with CBS, which I believe is supposed to expire after the 2000 season. Frankly, I hope the Big East runs as far away from CBS as fast as they can, and shacks up with Fox or ABC/ESPN.
Why? Simple. CBS has already re-signed their deal with the SEC, even though it had a few more years to go, and the Big Eye network has cut the SEC one sweeet deal, leaving very little air time or money for their other two football conferences, the Big East and Conference USA. CBS currently only "has to" show something like 9 or 10 Big East football games a year, and that's exactly what they do, no more.
Every halfway-decent Miami game winds up on CBS, and every time a BE member plays Penn State, you can chalk that one up, too. CBS never promotes in-conference clashes, except for Syracuse-Miami. Tech's classic matchups with Miami the last few years have wound up on ESPN2 and ESPN, where Charlie "Pass the Scotch, and check out those Virginia Tech Huskies" Steiner butchers the play-calling on a yearly basis.
CBS's "commitment" to the Big East has been insulting and non-existent, so if the BE told CBS to go pound sand, I wouldn't shed a tear. Meanwhile, Trained-Geese, visionary thinker that he is, no doubt has his fingers crossed and is muttering to himself, "Boy, I hope Miami has a good year, boy, I hope Miami has a good year ... "
Because in Mikey's brain, which has a very limited range of motion, he is no doubt thinking that if only the Canes could return to glory, he could milk CBS for millions of dollars.
Yeah, Mike - don't think about other networks, and don't think about promoting the other good teams in the conference to try to build some brand identity. Just stay in your little box. God help us.
Sorry, for those of you who frequent the message board, you've already seen the article, and the opinions and fears expressed here are not earth-shattering to you. But sometimes, I just gotta vent.

Reaction Score
"They would be WORSE than other non-football playing programs? Why?"
#BegHarder©

Because their recruiting would suffer. they won't be able to attract the level of player they can now because without UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville and eventually Cincy the Big East basketball conference would rank somewhere around where the MAAC, C-USA or A-10 rank, probably lower. When C-USA gets more invites to March Madness than the Big East does you can pack up the headquarters in Providence. Every school will be looking for a new home then. PC to the A-10 as an example because the A-10 will probably be a more competitive league than what ever is left in the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom