More questions than normal about the upcoming season…can’t wait. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More questions than normal about the upcoming season…can’t wait.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Think how much the BY has grown though. Last year at about this same time we had that "bizarre" prediction/bet that Napheesa (a returning AA) would not be in the starting line up. My bold prediction is that both freshmen will start because as the 6th man Walker can spell any of the 5 starters. The rotation in meaningful games might be expanded to 7 or 8 depending on Batouly or Kyla (not both) & Mikayla.

You may have hit the nail on the head.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Going to play devil's advocate here....I think Crystal is really good, improved markedly over her freshman year, should be even better this year if she can stay healthy...Geno says she's the best point guard in America but is she really?

Granted, UConn's style of play can make some individual statistics misleading.....however according to NCAA statistics Crystal only ranks in the Top 50 in one of the following categories: assists, assists per game, assists to turnover ratio (#19), steals, steals per game.....

My question is..... can you be the best point guard in America without the glowing statistics that usually come with that title?

Steals Per Game | DI Women's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com
I don't think Mo, Sue or Jenn ever lead the NCAA in any of those categories and yet there is little dispute that by their senior years, and maybe even their junior years, they were the best pg's in the nation. Stats are nice, but they are reflective of a lot of factors including: PT, team balance and opposition. UConn always plays one of the toughest schedules in the nation, and despite that, starters are usually sitting on the bench in the 4th qtr. In addition, UConn is a team first, with many players who can handle the ball and who all pass the ball exceptionally well. The pg does not have the ball in their hand all the time like Jordan Canada at UCLA or Kelsey Plum at Washington.

As you point out, if Crystal can stay healthy, she should have a very good year. While there are several very good pg's around the country, it would not surprise me if Crystal is the best of the bunch by the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Think how much the BY has grown though. Last year at about this same time we had that "bizarre" prediction/bet that Napheesa (a returning AA) would not be in the starting line up. My bold prediction is that both freshmen will start because as the 6th man Walker can spell any of the 5 starters. The rotation in meaningful games might be expanded to 7 or 8 depending on Batouly or Kyla (not both) & Mikayla.
I agree with CocoHusky's prediction for the starting five. I think MW as the first off the bench being able to play the 2, 3 or 4, creates lots of options and defensive headaches for many teams. I expect MW to make a good jump but not a huge one. I do expect both CW and Ono to be significant contributors from early on.
Then I think Irwin, Batouly and then either Coombs or Lexi will back up CD.
I think if she's fully healthy KLS will be NPOY and both Pheesa and CD AA's.
Bronx23

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine a starting lineup without CW. Unless, of course, she manages to lose a chunk of her talent between now and the first practices. That's unlikely, IMHO.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think you are all being too pessimistic about Molly Bent. As I've said before (and others have agreed), her problems in her first two years were entirely "above the shoulders". No, she is not as fast or as athletic as Crystal or CW, but she is fast and athletic enough to be a very capable guard at the college level. I think she CAN accomplish more in the upcoming year than Mikayla, if only because her shooting form is far better (and I think she understands the UConn offense and defense better than Mikayla).

I would offer an analogy: Nicole Wolff. Nicole played very well in her first few games as a freshman, and then got a stress fracture (probably from working too hard). That wiped out most of her freshman and all of her sophomore season. By her junior year, she was the best practice player on the team, and the coaches made her a co-captain and a starter to reward her play and effort in practice. But she never contributed on the stat line in games, and her minutes were very limited. Like Molly, she was a good-but-not-great athlete and a topflight student. I think she was also similar to Molly in that she internalized too much and could never really relax on the court. She tried so hard to avoid mistakes that she never made good plays and certainly never played instinctually.

No doubt -- the exact same thing could happen to Molly. On the other hand, the light bulb could go on for her at any time, or maybe she will just decide (or allow herself) to "chill out". If she puts it together, she could be the third guard behind Crystal and CW, and make a significant contribution. It might help if she cuts down the number of hours she devotes to basketball, and lets herself "smell the roses".

I don't have the same hope or expectation for Kyla. I think she has already played about as well as her physical talent allows (which is not true of Molly). I don't think she has enough speed or athleticism to play more than about 8-10 minutes in even slightly competitive games. I think Batouly will be more effective, and will take most of the minutes at the backup 4 position.

Reaction Score
Going to play devil's advocate here....I think Crystal is really good, improved markedly over her freshman year, should be even better this year if she can stay healthy...Geno says she's the best point guard in America but is she really?

Granted, UConn's style of play can make some individual statistics misleading.....however according to NCAA statistics Crystal only ranks in the Top 50 in one of the following categories: assists, assists per game, assists to turnover ratio (#19), steals, steals per game.....

My question is..... can you be the best point guard in America without the glowing statistics that usually come with that title?

Steals Per Game | DI Women's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com

Count me as a CD skeptic. Yes, she improved & brings "energy", but I dont think she made last year's team that much "better". She's very undersized & often a liability on defense. With her size & quickness, she should have done a much better job driving into the lane & opening up space for others by kicking out or taking a short jumper/layup herself. I didnt see much of that. Instead, I felt she was more comfortable hanging on the perimeter & hoisting up 3's, sometimes ill-advised. I think ultimately that was the difference why UConn lost 2 years in a year in the FF, despite having better overall talent. Their point guard/two-guard outplayed ours significantly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A couple of things:

1. I don't think Geno called Crystal the best PG in America. I believe he said, "I don't think there's a PG in America whom I'd rather have," or something to that effect. Crystal is really good, but Ionescu got more recognition last year and is one of the favorites for NPOY this year.

2. I'm intrigued by Coco's bold prediction for the starting lineup. We seem to have 2 extremes here. Based on reaction (over-reaction, in my opinion) to the limited success of last year's freshman class, some folks are insisting that Christyn and Olivia won't get much PT or have much of an impact. To me, the situation is different this coming year. Meg was the #1 recruit, but was behind 6 top-10 draft choices (and Kia was a steal at #10). Christyn and Olivia will be behind 3 (or maybe 4) top draft choices. That's a huge difference in a sport where 5 players are on the floor. Now, we have Coco suggesting that both freshmen will start, and he has some folks agreeing with him. I think he MAY be right, though I think Meg will earn a starting spot. I think that Meg took too much criticism last year, is working too hard in the offseason, and knows the UConn system too well relative to the freshmen not to start. I see Olivia as a starter because of our need and her size and ability. I think Christyn could be a starter, but she seems to have the change-of-pace offense that Geno likes in the 6th man (player). Can Meg provide that and come in the play the 2, 3, or 4? Probably. I think Christyn can come in to play the 1, 2, or 3 and score 5 points in her first minute. In any case, I definitely think those are our top 6 players. I'll think more about starting CW instead of Meg and see how that feels.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine a starting lineup without CW. Unless, of course, she manages to lose a chunk of her talent between now and the first practices. That's unlikely, IMHO.
Interesting! I see her as our first substitute, but could see her as a starter. I think she's THAT good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think you are all being too pessimistic about Molly Bent. As I've said before (and others have agreed), her problems in her first two years were entirely "above the shoulders". No, she is not as fast or as athletic as Crystal or CW, but she is fast and athletic enough to be a very capable guard at the college level. I think she CAN accomplish more in the upcoming year than Mikayla, if only because her shooting form is far better (and I think she understands the UConn offense and defense better than Mikayla).

I would offer an analogy: Nicole Wolff. Nicole played very well in her first few games as a freshman, and then got a stress fracture (probably from working too hard). That wiped out most of her freshman and all of her sophomore season. By her junior year, she was the best practice player on the team, and the coaches made her a co-captain and a starter to reward her play and effort in practice. But she never contributed on the stat line in games, and her minutes were very limited. Like Molly, she was a good-but-not-great athlete and a topflight student. I think she was also similar to Molly in that she internalized too much and could never really relax on the court. She tried so hard to avoid mistakes that she never made good plays and certainly never played instinctually.

No doubt -- the exact same thing could happen to Molly. On the other hand, the light bulb could go on for her at any time, or maybe she will just decide (or allow herself) to "chill out". If she puts it together, she could be the third guard behind Crystal and CW, and make a significant contribution. It might help if she cuts down the number of hours she devotes to basketball, and lets herself "smell the roses".

I don't have the same hope or expectation for Kyla. I think she has already played about as well as her physical talent allows (which is not true of Molly). I don't think she has enough speed or athleticism to play more than about 8-10 minutes in even slightly competitive games. I think Batouly will be more effective, and will take most of the minutes at the backup 4 position.
Interesting thoughts on Molly. Yes, I think she's athletic, fast, and conditioned enough to play at this level. She's also an excellent student, but her lack of confidence on the court is really hurting her. She is so over-eager to get rid of the ball that she throws it to the other team. She needs to relax and slow down.

I think Nicole also had issues between her ears. She seemed to lose confidence after her injuries and was very reluctant to shoot. Her case was puzzling. She too was a top student, perhaps her HS valedictorian.

The difference is that Molly was a top-100 or so recruit and Nicole was the McDonald's NPOY her senior year in high school. Nicole had enough talent to be on the Wall of Honor.

Auriemma Tells Wolff to Dare to Succeed

Wolff Paced UConn Past Wright St. in Season Opener

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
My expectations for this thread were more than met. Some great off-season conversation about next year’s team. Thanks.

To steal from former SI writer Peter King, here is what I think I think.

1. Crystal Dangerfield may not have the stats but she gets the ball in the right spot, at the right time and in the right offense. She played really well last year, playing, as one poster failed to mention, with shin splints that kept her from practicing. I think this year she has to increase her scoring, be a better on the ball defender and of course, stay healthy.

2. I like Lou at the high post. In fact, the only part of her game that concerns me is that she struggled to score when teams “shadowed” her. I think teams will use that strategy more this year. She has improved on so many other aspects of her game that I am sure that she will handle this.

3. I would love to know the official reason for Walker’s inconsistent minutes. Read tons of speculation. My only negative observation about her game is that I think she is an inconsistent outside shooter. Especially from 3. I think her shot is too flat. If CW starts, I think Megan starts at 4. If Camara or ONO starts, Megan plays 3.

4. I see the talent in ONO and can’t wait to see her play but man she is thin. I saw an old interview with Lou and she said the biggest adjustment from high school to college was the physicality. I think, at least initially, ONO struggles with that aspect.

5. If CW comes out of the preseason as a starter, this team will be really good. I know there is two ways to view it, but I choose to think if she handles all that is Geno (must not be easy) and comes out a starter, then she might be, as one poster opined, in the rarified air of Maya and D.

6. They need productive minutes from one or more returning letter winner. Injuries are going to occur. Always do. My guess is Camara. I am more optimistic about Camara than some on this board. I think she will mix it up underneath and rebound-two things this team will need.

7. I think the starting lineup at the end of the year will be different then who starts at the beginning of the season. Will this be the year that Geno plays more than 7 in big games? Does he use the AAC to develop his bench?

8. Someone suggested that I relax and that it will all work out. They have lots of talent with a terrific staff but the for the first time since I have been on the bandwagon, the team will not be favored to win nearly every game by an average of more than 30. It will be fun. Bring it on.

Reaction Score
My expectations for this thread were more than met. Some great off-season conversation about next year’s team. Thanks

3. I would love to know the official reason for Walker’s inconsistent minutes. Read tons of speculation. My only negative observation about her game is that I think she is an inconsistent outside shooter. Especially from 3. I think her shot is too flat. If CW starts, I think Megan starts at 4. If Camara or ONO starts, Megan plays 3.

4. I see the talent in ONO and can’t wait to see her play but man she is thin. I saw an old interview with Lou and she said the biggest adjustment from high school to college was the physicality. I think, at least initially, ONO struggles with that aspect.

MW suffered from limited minutes and limited confidence last season..........I expect to see a more aggressive more polished version this year........right now she's not a great outside shooter...............she's a scorer who will get you 14-16 points every game via fast break layups, second chance layups, pull up jumpers, the occasional three pointer.........basically whatever it takes............that's always been her MO............hopefully she can improve that outside shot the way so many UConn players have done over their four years........

ONO is certainly rail thin but she's thankfully incredibly athletic so she should get points on the fast break, from mid range and she'll outquick post players underneath the basket too........it should be fascinating to watch her learn the ropes...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
3. I would love to know the official reason for Walker’s inconsistent minutes. Read tons of speculation. My only negative observation about her game is that I think she is an inconsistent outside shooter. Especially from 3. I think her shot is too flat.

8. Someone suggested that I relax and that it will all work out. They have lots of talent with a terrific staff but the for the first time since I have been on the bandwagon, the team will not be favored to win nearly every game by an average of more than 30.
A couple thoughts on your thoughts.

3. The "official" reason as stated by both Megan and Geno for her inconsistent minutes was inconsistent effort.
"Walker said the most important takeaways from the season have been that she needs to improve defensively and have a consistent approach and effort."
UConn's Megan Walker On Her Freshman Season: 'A Fair Process'
Walker's shooting numbers could be better although 37% from deep is not bad. The most important thing about Megan's shooting is that she is not a reluctant shooter-when she is open she shoots the ball.
As long as we are speculating I don't think Megan is an instinctive read and react player and that is something she is going to have to get better at to fully excel in the UCONN offense. In the UCONN offense the players next move is dictated by how the defense is playing you. With Megan there is always a momentary hesitation about her next move. Azura had a similar problem with the UCONN offense last year, for Azura "movement" was not instinctive. Aruza had to learn to incorporated more movement and in the end the compromise was for Azura to move to an area of the court (right block) where she was most comfortable. The good news is that CW and ONO might be ideal for the UCONN offense. ONO is perpetual motion personified both offensively and defensively- @Sluconn Husky was the first to point this out way back when. CW might be the most instinctive offensive player I have seen coming into college basketball since Kelsey Plum. Like Plum CW can beat you with the ball, without the ball, from deep, mid range, going left, going right, in transition or by setting up other players.

4. Every time I hear this about ONO (she's too thin) I want to post a picture of her family especially her older brother who is built like an NFL player. ONO has the frame to put on weight naturally and for most WCBB players the introduction to the weight room doesn't happen until they get to a college campus. Remember Stewie was though to be too thin also.

8. I think it is going to workout whether you relax or not, it all depends on your expectations for this team. Thanks for starting this thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe there was this many questions after Stewie, tuck and Jefferson graduated...relax!!
/?? Has anyone seen any basketball that even comes close to the quality of Stewie, Tuck, and Mo?
I certainly haven’t. We will most likely never see another player like Stewie.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
/?? Has anyone seen any basketball that even comes close to the quality of Stewie, Tuck, and Mo?
I would say that 72-2 is pretty damned close to what we witnessed from the Big 3. And I guess we will never see another DT or Maya either, except that kid from Arkansas is pretty darned good.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"MilfordHusky, post: 2743732, member: 366"]The difference is that Molly was a top-100 or so recruit and Nicole was the McDonald's NPOY her senior year in high school. Nicole had enough talent to be on the Wall of Honor.

Cannot find Molly on anyone's top any number list. I don't recall her being ranked at all.

Reaction Score
I don't think Mo, Sue or Jenn ever lead the NCAA in any of those categories and yet there is little dispute that by their senior years, and maybe even their junior years, they were the best pg's in the nation. Stats are nice, but they are reflective of a lot of factors including: PT, team balance and opposition. UConn always plays one of the toughest schedules in the nation, and despite that, starters are usually sitting on the bench in the 4th qtr. In addition, UConn is a team first, with many players who can handle the ball and who all pass the ball exceptionally well. The pg does not have the ball in their hand all the time like Jordan Canada at UCLA or Kelsey Plum at Washington.

As you point out, if Crystal can stay healthy, she should have a very good year. While there are several very good pg's around the country, it would not surprise me if Crystal is the best of the bunch by the end of the season.

Love all the great posts by insightful posters.
I know a few other pg's can fill the stat sheets better than crystal. Still, oldude & vet posters feel Danger could end up being with the top dogs. Maybe. However, I do strongly feel that Crystal is the best pg around when it comes to running UConn/Geno's team. Mitchell couldn't run it today, not Plum, or Canada. In a season or so (maybe shorter) they could adjust their game to please Geno. It seems that Mitchell & Plum would take longer than Canada (who has the quicks, the assists, and the defense!)
As and add-on - - I agree with Coco Husky that the two frosh are very likely to start. Also, who gets more time Batouly or Kyla?

Reaction Score

it's long way off but I think it is possible that Bueckers may have a college career equal to or better then MoJef and Azzi Fudd may just be the second coming of Maya........can't wait to see their careers start most especially if they are in UConn uniforms

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on your thoughts.

3. The "official" reason as stated by both Megan and Geno for her inconsistent minutes was inconsistent effort.
"Walker said the most important takeaways from the season have been that she needs to improve defensively and have a consistent approach and effort."
UConn's Megan Walker On Her Freshman Season: 'A Fair Process'
Walker's shooting numbers could be better although 37% from deep is not bad. The most important thing about Megan's shooting is that she is not a reluctant shooter-when she is open she shoots the ball.
As long as we are speculating I don't think Megan is an instinctive read and react player and that is something she is going to have to get better at to fully excel in the UCONN offense. In the UCONN offense the players next move is dictated by how the defense is playing you. With Megan there is always a momentary hesitation about her next move. Azura had a similar problem with the UCONN offense last year, for Azura "movement" was not instinctive. Aruza had to learn to incorporated more movement and in the end the compromise was for Azura to move to an area of the court (right block) where she was most comfortable. The good news is that CW and ONO might be ideal for the UCONN offense. ONO is perpetual motion personified both offensively and defensively- @Sluconn Husky was the first to point this out way back when. CW might be the most instinctive offensive player I have seen coming into college basketball since Kelsey Plum. Like Plum CW can beat you with the ball, without the ball, from deep, mid range, going left, going right, in transition or by setting up other players.

4. Every time I hear this about ONO (she's too thin) I want to post a picture of her family especially her older brother who is built like an NFL player. ONO has the frame to put on weight naturally and for most WCBB players the introduction to the weight room doesn't happen until they get to a college campus. Remember Stewie was though to be too thin also.

8. I think it is going to workout whether you relax or not, it all depends on your expectations for this team. Thanks for starting this thread.

Great insight. Instinctive movements are required for this offense. Should scouting for Instinctive movement be stressed more?
I believe that in the 2017 game with Miss ST. --Danger had the most instinct to create something. She would have created and probably made that last shot. Just like you and others are predicting for CW. Question - Will Geno encourage more of that from DAnger & CW?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"MilfordHusky, post: 2743732, member: 366"]The difference is that Molly was a top-100 or so recruit and Nicole was the McDonald's NPOY her senior year in high school. Nicole had enough talent to be on the Wall of Honor.

Cannot find Molly on anyone's top any number list. I don't recall her being ranked at all.

ASGR had her #56. Blue Star #111.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He still owes me money. :cool:

Reaction Score
I did not say that we haven’t seen good ,. Lou and Pheesa are really good players , two of the best in the country, but they have not been able to put the team on their back and carry them when the game is on the line. They can in the conference games but not in the tournaments. Until one or both of them do that ,they cannot be compared to Stewie, D, Maya, Lobo.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I did not say that we haven’t seen good ,. Lou and Pheesa are really good players , two of the best in the country, but they have not been able to put the team on their back and carry them when the game is on the line. They can in the conference games but not in the tournaments. Until one or both of them do that ,they cannot be compared to Stewie, D, Maya, Lobo.
What I think you’re saying is that Lou and Pheesa haven’t carried the Huskies to a championship...and I agree. But Lou and Pheesa have had a number of brilliant games in the tournament. In the past two years, the Huskies came up 1 point short of making it to the finals. IMO, the Huskies have not had the front court talent to win a championship in the past 2 years, even with Z this past year. During the Big 3’s run, in addition to Stewie, UConn had Tuck, Steph & Kiah, all formidable front court players. Maya had Tina. Lobo had Kara. DT had Swin, Asa & Tamika.

As great as Lobo, DT, Maya & Stewie were, teams win championships.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting thread about players skill sets, body style, speed, quickness, etc translating to the next level.
Firstly I appear to have been clearly wrong about Kia Nurse, who I thought and expressed her to be a decent complementary pro player. So it may be the same regarding all of my comments about MW's freshman season and limitations. I think MW will be a good college player not close to what expected of national HS player of the year. The great players DT, MM, BS make significant impacts almost immediately. The next level down would seem to fit a KLS who filled the remaining starting spot much of her freshman season. She then made the hoped for sophomore (and again junior jump) to now be two time AA and one of the leading candidates for NPOY. KLS started above Pheesa and GW, two tremendous players in their own right. Yes MW had six likely first round WNBA picks ahead of her. Her competition for that important 7th spot was Kyla, Molly, Betaly and the other freshman players. They are all amazing young woman and seemingly great teammates and high quality but not top HS players, whose may be partial examples of what we are discussing here making it at the next level. MW was unable to solidify that next spot. Fully why probably none of us will ever know. We do know the results, and even with a huge soph jump she's well behind those just below the greats like KLS. I believe at least a part of it is her skill set doesn't transfer as well to the college game from HS. She's around six feet tall, is a very good slasher, rebounder, a seemingly good shooter and so far a decent college defender. She's not from my perspective extremely quick or instinctive and clearly no where near DT and MM or even close to KLS, at comparable points of their careers. This is why the repeated and ongoing predictions of AÀ status for MW drove me nuts. Even if she makes a big soph jump, she's at best the fourth option on this team, and that's far from a given with CW, Ono, Batouly as other reasonable choices.
All I'm saying and asking is that those hear see the results and outcomes more clearly and not overhype every U Conn player and or team, YES we've been very fortunate and very spoiled with the greatness all these years and those
still to come. I'd love MW to prove me as wrong as I've been with
Kia but let it happen at least somewhat first, and then I will eat crow.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom