More questions than normal about the upcoming season…can’t wait. | The Boneyard

More questions than normal about the upcoming season…can’t wait.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
We have about four months until the season starts. I think this season will be really interesting because of the larger than usual unknowns. Consider:

1. Geno called Crystal Dangerfield the best point guard in America. She has also missed time both years because of injuries. If the bug hits again, who gets her minutes?
  2. If Geno maintains his rule about when freshmen play, Camara starts by default. I can’t remember her ever being in the game when the game was in doubt. How will she handle it? Can she take advantage of the open looks she will get on offense?
  3. What do they do on offense without Gabby at the high post? Do they put somebody else there or run other stuff? Passing out of the high post has been really productive.
  4. Will it be noticeable that Maria is gone? Jasmine brings a different skill set to the program. How will they adjust?
  5. Initially, I thought CW’s high school numbers were inflated because of the competition. Then she dominated against the top players in the country. How long does it take for somebody that talented to adapt to Geno’s system?
  6. Lou was first team All-American and was hurt most of the year. What can we expect if she stays healthy?
  7. Now that Coombs has been cleared to play, can she make the sophomore leap and live up to her high school accolades?
  8. What position does Walker play? 2? 3?
  9. Collier may have to guard some post players. Is she be physical enough to handle it?
  10. Nurse took away the other team’s best offensive player. Who becomes the defensive stopper?

See what I mean?

I have opinions about all of these but would love to hear others’ thoughts.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"victor64, post: 2742060, member: 7101"]
  1. If Geno maintains his rule about when freshmen play What rule is this? Other than the rule freshmen (all players in fact) must excel in practice in order to earn game minutes. Fact: Since the 2000-01 season 56% of all freshmen played an average of 15 or more minutes per game. These 29 freshmen averaged 22 minutes per game. All but 16 freshmen averaged 10 or more minutes per games.
  2. Initially, I thought CW’s high school numbers were inflated because of the competition. Then she dominated against the top players in the country. How long does it take for somebody that talented to adapt to Geno’s system? Think Maya and "D" if you dare! :)
  3. Lou was first team All-American and was hurt most of the year. What can we expect if she stays healthy? Probably depends on who else can shoot the three well enough to disallow the opposition from putting an in-your-face-shadow-defender on Lou.
  4. Now that Coombs has been cleared to play, can she make the sophomore leap and live up to her high school accolades? If her problems last season were caused by her illness, then she should make progress. If not, she has a much less chance of improvement. UCONN freshmen who averaged less than 10 minutes per game did not play much the rest of their UCONN careers. It is a fact except for Maria Colon.
  5. What position does Walker play? 2? 3? I find it interesting Megan during pick up games always guards Phee and is guarded by Phee. Sounds like a three.
  6. Collier may have to guard some post players. Is she be physical enough to handle it? No, not by herself. They may have to hope for ONO to make really good strides so she can provide weak side help a la Stewart. ONO appears to jump higher than Stewart. If she has good timing she may be able to swoop in and block shots a la Stewart ... well a reasonable approximation of Stewart.
  7. Nurse took away the other team’s best offensive player. Who becomes the defensive stopper? Hmmmm ... have to think about this.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lots of questions. I’ll answer one. Lou & Pheesa will wear other teams out, executing the pick and roll from the high post. Lou doesn’t have Gabby’s quickness, but other teams can’t play off her daring her to hit the jumper. Lou is every bit as good a passer as Gabby and with defenders playing up on her, she’ll take that long stride to a layup or get fouled.

With Z gone, the paint opens up again for Pheesa. I expect Pheesa to shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% from the floor this year.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Lots of questions. I’ll answer one. Lou & Pheesa will wear other teams out, executing the pick and roll from the high post. Lou doesn’t have Gabby’s quickness, but other teams can’t play off her daring her to hit the jumper. Lou is every bit as good a passer as Gabby and with defenders playing up on her, she’ll take that long stride to a layup or get fouled.

With Z gone, the paint opens up again for Pheesa. I expect Pheesa to shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% from the floor this year.

I like the idea of Lou at the high post. One of the great realizations about Lou in her three years is that she is a great passer. The problem is that she and Kia were on the receiving end of many of Gabby's kickouts. I don't know who that "catch and shoot" person is this year.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
UCONN freshmen who averaged less than 10 minutes per game did not play much the rest of their UCONN career. It is a fact except for Maria Colon.

This is unfortunate. I was hoping Gordon could figure out the defensive end because I think she can shoot. They could also really use Coombs to provide backup point guard minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1. Christyn Williams
2. There is no such rule at UCONN, nor does anyone start by "default". UCONN returns 3 starters. The other two starting positions will be earned among Walker, ONO CW and Batouly. Listed from most likely to least likely IMO.
3. Without Gabby look for Megan Walker to facilitate from the mid post in certain situations. UCONN will not change the motion offense significantly.
4. I'm assuming you meant Marisa and of course she will be missed. I'm not sure this will be noticeable to us outside of the program.
5. CW will be needed on day 1. She will be at least as productive as Bria Hartley was as a freshman.
6. If KLS stays healthy she may sweep all the major POY awards.
7. Mikayla is as capable of making a sophomore leap as any of the sophomores.
Let's get her fully healthy before we worry about that.
8. Megan Walker will play 3 and some 4.
9. Yes. Napheesa has been defending the post her entire UCONN career.
10. Not only did UCONN lose Kia it also lost Gabby and both were DPOY. I don't see anyone on the current roster with perimeter defensive skills of Kia or Gabby. My hope is that ONO will emerge as a rim protector to anchor the defense and allow the perimeter defenders to take more chances by pressuring the ball.

Reaction Score
1. Christyn Williams

10. Not only did UCONN lose Kia it also lost Gabby and both were DPOY. I don't see anyone on the current roster with perimeter defensive skills of Kia or Gabby. My hope is that ONO will emerge as a rim protector to anchor the defense and allow the perimeter defenders to take more chances by pressuring the ball.

if healthy I believe Coombs can be a dynamic perimeter defender.........she's long and is extremely athletic.......if you go back to her high school video you will see some really aggressive defense including some nasty blocks and steals...............now let's see if she can do it at the college level

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Lou at the high post! What an intriguing proposition. But you'll also have to get her out beyond the arc, too, Dude. I'll let you and Geno work out the details but it's an interesting concept.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like the idea of Lou at the high post. One of the great realizations about Lou in her three years is that she is a great passer. The problem is that she and Kia were on the receiving end of many of Gabby's kickouts. I don't know who that "catch and shoot" person is this year.
I was thinking Crystal as the knockdown 3 pt shooter, and possibly the kid from Arkansas.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I've been thinking along these lines (literally in the case of the second paragraph). Lou has the size to pass over the defense, and with the motion offense, she can hand off to Megan and pop out for the three, she can set a screen and hand off the CD for the elbow or top of the key jumper. If Megan is up for it, as Coco said, she can do the high post or share with Lou. Napheesa can trade off with them both and get some jump shots and feed Megan down low.

I don't see high post as much of an issue.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<if healthy I believe Coombs can be a dynamic perimeter defender....she's long and is extremely athletic..if you go back to her high school video you will see some really aggressive defense including some nasty blocks and steals.....now let's see if she can do it at the college level>>

Charlie - she looked good on D during her all-star game participation. She can regain that form, IMO. The entire team needs to step it up defensively to avoid the debacle that was the ND semi final game. No UConn team worth its salt should have allowed an opponent that many points.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I continue to consider without conclusion the coaching makeup
And ask myself...why did Geno and CD.eliminate the position of forwards, bigs coach?
Does CD want or need additional responsibilities as she nears senior citizenship.
Jaz certainly makes sense as a potential sub for a possibly less than involved Shea.
I just don't get it; they've had that position for at least a decade

Reaction Score
I keep reading comments how Batouly Camara is under appreciated! I have maintained since she came to UCONN that she is a really good player that was unlucky enough to get a major knee injury when she just became eligible to play for UCONN! I still feel she'll start and give "Jamelle Elliot style minutes" to the offense and the defense! She's a beast on the boards and has a nice offense up to 12' to 15' out.
IMHO Batouly gets the Big opening in the starting lineup and Megan Walker will get the SG/W opening, joining Crystal Dangerfield, KLS, and Pheesa! In the UCONN offense if everything is going good there really aren't defined positions as all players are depended on to pass, shoot outside and in, defend all over the court on switches!
I think if CW and ONO can add useful minutes the Huskies will still be a force to be reckoned with through April!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Every year, we have questions. Some years, we have more questions and seemingly more important questions. I recall the concern in the summer of 2009: OMG, who will replace Renee?? Who will be the PG? Well, how did that work out? Caroline and Tiffany did an admirable job, and the team went 39-0, winning by an average of 35 ppg.

I expect that many of the questions will be answered in a positive way. Again, we will have an imperfect team. We will have to offset some deficiencies with our strengths. It will be interesting to see how things play out. We will be a fairly young team this coming season and again the following year. I'm excited.

What other team has THREE #1 recruits? What other team has SIX top-6 players? We may not be deep, but we have more than five players with elite-level talent. We also have the best coaching staff in America.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I continue to consider without conclusion the coaching makeup
And ask myself...why did Geno and CD.eliminate the position of forwards, bigs coach? Does CD want or need additional responsibilities as she nears senior citizenship.
Jaz certainly makes sense as a potential sub for a possibly less than involved Shea.I just don't get it; they've had that position for at least a decade
I think you are overstating what was said and intended. The UCONN players will be coached in all aspects of playing basketball including post play.
What was stated in the article is instead of breaking into designated groups of post and guards/wings they will break into "combined" groups. The stated reason for doing this is because the game has evolved to the point where post players are now handling the ball more and shooting further away from the basket. The benefit of combined groups should be obvious: wings and guards are going to have to learn to defend post player so everyone will get better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
if healthy I believe Coombs can be a dynamic perimeter defender....she's long and is extremely athletic..if you go back to her high school video you will see some really aggressive defense including some nasty blocks and steals.....now let's see if she can do it at the college level
Indeed Mikayla has all the tools to be an elite defender. Her shooting percentage overall & especially from distance (9%) would have to pick up significantly for her to get an opportunity to use those defensive tools in a meaningful way.

Reaction Score
Indeed Mikayla has all the tools to be an elite defender. Her shooting percentage overall & especially from distance (9%) would have to pick up significantly for her to get an opportunity to use those defensive tools in a meaningful way.

Hopefully with CW, CD, MW, KLS etc they will have enough outside scoring to carry her...........even if she can just fill a backup role for 5-7 minutes a half, it could be an important role

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't know if the question marks coming into the season are any more than other seasons. Welcome to college sports for every year is different. And we Boneyarders have a tendency to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

We have three returning starters, two of whom are AA's. Then there is one of the best PG's in the country, if not the best back to run the show. If MW makes the sophmore leap, that's a big plus. I believe she will. There are 4 of the five starters.

Who will be the 5th starter will keep us all guessing. The three choices as I view it are Camara, Williams and ONO. Kyla and Molly will be reserves with Kyla getting the most minutes of the two. Mikayla is an unknown due to her health issues. First, I hope she is healthy for her own piece of mind. If healthy and in playing shape, she could be a valued sub. The wild card no one has mentioned is Lexi Gordon. She has the size and a few times showed there is talent there. Hopefully she has committed to improve her hame and makes the soph jump.

As to our newest members, they could do what Bria and Stef did their freshman season. If so, it would be a major step for the season. As frosh, there will be growing pains but that's okay. I think CW and ONO are going to surprise a lot of people and make major contributions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know if the question marks coming into the season are any more than other seasons. Welcome to college sports for every year is different. And we Boneyarders have a tendency to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

We have three returning starters, two of whom are AA's. Then there is one of the best PG's in the country, if not the best back to run the show. If MW makes the sophmore leap, that's a big plus. I believe she will. There are 4 of the five starters.

Who will be the 5th starter will keep us all guessing. The three choices as I view it are Camara, Williams and ONO. Kyla and Molly will be reserves with Kyla getting the most minutes of the two. Mikayla is an unknown due to her health issues. First, I hope she is healthy for her own piece of mind. If healthy and in playing shape, she could be a valued sub. The wild card no one has mentioned is Lexi Gordon. She has the size and a few times showed there is talent there. Hopefully she has committed to improve her hame and makes the soph jump.

As to our newest members, they could do what Bria and Stef did their freshman season. If so, it would be a major step for the season. As frosh, there will be growing pains but that's okay. I think CW and ONO are going to surprise a lot of people and make major contributions.
Think how much the BY has grown though. Last year at about this same time we had that "bizarre" prediction/bet that Napheesa (a returning AA) would not be in the starting line up. My bold prediction is that both freshmen will start because as the 6th man Walker can spell any of the 5 starters. The rotation in meaningful games might be expanded to 7 or 8 depending on Batouly or Kyla (not both) & Mikayla.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Who are the “players?”

1. Collier, Samuelson, and Dangerfield are three of the best if not the best in the WCB. What follows is speculation since the other players are more unknowns then knowns.

2. Walker, in my mind, has shown a little promise for a #1. She did not play like any of the other #1s UCONN has recruited. BUT … there is hope. Gabby, MoJet, Tuck, Greene, Collier, and few other really good players averaged only 1 or 2 minutes more than Walker as freshmen. So I think she will be a player this coming season. Fingers crossed.

3. Camara is expected to be good but based on what? Has she really shown to be a starter? Perhaps she will play more to the expected level when playing with Phee, Lou, and Danger. She will be really needed early in the season.

4. Wow! Only five players. Well that leaves the freshmen to save the day. ONO and Williams will have to hit the floor running for UCONN to have any kind of season. If anything they are needed for solid backups. ONO may backup Camara and Collier. Williams may backup Dangerfield and possibly Samuelson. She can rebound … at least in high school see did. Sorry Walker no rest for you! OK, we will send ONO in for you as well.

5. Coombs is a possibility for 12-15 minutes per game if she is over her illness/disorder and it had affected her game last year. She is a solid maybe.

6. I don’t see any help from Bent, Gordon, and Irwin. It would have to be a complete metamorphosis for them to help. Kyla is a wonderful energy player. A team player she is. Bent, God love her, tries so hard but something does not click in the game. Gordon is a mystery to me.

So for me the starters in game one will be Collier, Samuelson, Dangerfield, Walker, and Camara. The bench will be Williams, ONO and maybe Coombs. It is the seven player rotation which is better than the six player rotation.

The starters on February 1 are Collier, Samuelson, Dangerfield, ONO, Walker. The bench will be Camara and Williams and maybe Coombs.

What do they do on offense without Gabby at the high post? Do they put somebody else there or run other stuff? Passing out of the high post has been really productive.
Well UCONN will be relatively small with players being 5’5”, 6’1”, 6’1”, 6’2” and 6’3”. In Feb swapping a 6’2” for a 6’4”. I think they will have to rely on the three point shot greatly which may be the reason why we see a video of Collier draining threes. With my starting lineup they could have four three point shooters; Lou, Phee, Danger, and Walker with Williams of the bench. They may use double cut screens to free a shooter. But this usually requires a forward to provide the pass to the open shooter. The double cut screen is really hard to defend. They have to modify their motion offense to take advantage of their personnel. I don’t see Camara as a scoring threat. So Collier will be receiving the attention of the bigs. She will have to take them outside and hopefully be a three point threat to spread the floor and allow for quick cuts to the basket and drives by Dangerfield, Samuelson, Walker, and Williams. All of whom are more than capable getting to the hoop while the big covers Collier. A lot depends on how well Walker and Camara will have improved. The development of the freshmen is the key to a great season. No pressure kids!

Nurse took away the other team’s best offensive player. Who becomes the defensive stopper?
Go back to CONN’s 2016-17 team which had no Big, just speed and quickness and a swarming defense. I’m thinking back to past? However, Camara is not all that fast and quick. So this is why I see ONO starting in February. She provides height, speed, quickness, and hops.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Collier may have to guard some post players. Is she be physical enough to handle it?

Reminded me of this:

Hope she has more than she thought then. She's a finesse player, and playing bigs she'll have to rely on brains over brawn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd call them a young team. Your 3 best players are Sr/Jr. 6 of the 11 players are Jr/Sr. 2 Returning AA's are Sr. Quite a bit of experience there.
Yeah, 2 great seniors, but I think we'll have a freshman starter this year and half of the top 6 will be freshmen and sophomores. Next year, depending on recruiting, as many as 6 of our top 8 could be underclassmen.

Reaction Score
We have about four months until the season starts. I think this season will be really interesting because of the larger than usual unknowns. Consider:

1. Geno called Crystal Dangerfield the best point guard in America. She has also missed time both years because of injuries. If the bug hits again, who gets her minutes?
I have opinions about all of these but would love to hear others’ thoughts.

Going to play devil's advocate here.........I think Crystal is really good, improved markedly over her freshman year, should be even better this year if she can stay healthy........Geno says she's the best point guard in America but is she really?

Granted, UConn's style of play can make some individual statistics misleading..........however according to NCAA statistics Crystal only ranks in the Top 50 in one of the following categories: assists, assists per game, assists to turnover ratio (#19), steals, steals per game..........

My question is.................... can you be the best point guard in America without the glowing statistics that usually come with that title?

Steals Per Game | DI Women's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom