More On Carla Berube Today ... | The Boneyard

More On Carla Berube Today ...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Very enjoyable read. Here's my favorite quote from the article:

"I take a lot of the lessons I learned from Coach [Geno Auriemma] and from Chris Dailey, and it’s kind of the foundation of who I am, relationships, communication, focus and just how determined you have to be and how tough you need to be every time you step on that court.” —CARLA BERUBE

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I love this quote:

Now, you hear girls all over the country say, ‘It’s always been my dream to play at Connecticut.’ Twenty-five years ago, it wasn’t anybody’s dream to play at Connecticut. It was my dream.

Carla

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Thanks for the reminder. Could teach today's press a thing or two.

All time quote

When asked about Tennessee, Berube replied, “I don’t care for them at all. My last loss at UConn was to Tennessee. I don’t like orange, either.” Berube laughs, “Seriously, there are some nice people at Tennessee and it’s nothing personal. It’s a great rivalry but, no, I don’t like Tennessee.”

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I love this quote:

Now, you hear girls all over the country say, ‘It’s always been my dream to play at Connecticut.’ Twenty-five years ago, it wasn’t anybody’s dream to play at Connecticut. It was my dream.

Carla
I do not suspect you intended your pun, however it is rich to write that you loved a quote in an article written by a reporter named Amore! ;)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Her #28 ranked Princeton team is 13-1 with their only loss in OT to #19 Iowa.
guess she did, I thought she mentioned that she was comfortable at Tufts... when did this change happen?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
guess she did, I thought she mentioned that she was comfortable at Tufts... when did this change happen?
She said it was a unique set of circumstances including being an Ivy school since she liked coaching academic focused athletes (not unlike Tufts) and a good (non-rebuilding) program. Guessing being in the North East (and salary) was a big + as well

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Princeton has now earned a strong name in WCBB thanks to Ms Bangharts strong coaching and Top 100 ranked Bella Alarie (#83) choosing them and winning against the more traditional powers. In one of the OOC games in Dec, I was watching Yale at NC (with Courtney Banghart) and the announcers were saying the Ivy Schools are now making great inroads on top basketball talent and should be improving overall stature when compared to the other non-P5 schools. Yale went on to beat NC and has a #70 Massey Ranking. Princeton is #15 and should be easily in the top 25 if it weren’t for “name voting” vs. actual quality wins. That said, I think it would be awesome for 2 teams from the Ivy’s to make it to the NCAAT over the 6th place teams from the ACC, SEC or 4/5 teams for the Big12. But We shall see as it should come down to RPI and quality wins.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thanks for this, Nan. I didn't know you were also a journalist -- but can't say I'm surprised. You have a fine touch with the pen.

I chuckled at this quote, especially in view of her current team colors:

When asked about Tennessee, Berube replied, “I don’t care for them at all. My last loss at UConn was to Tennessee. I don’t like orange, either.” Berube laughs, “Seriously, there are some nice people at Tennessee and it’s nothing personal. It’s a great rivalry but, no, I don’t like Tennessee.”​

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
During the Princeton-Missouri game, former Missouri point guard Lauren Aldridge, who was the color commentator for the game, remarked at how evident it was that Carla had full ownership of her new team and how much the players respected her. Some really nice comments from her.

Princeton has been a great story this year. Amazing to think they are just one overtime loss away from an undefeated record.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Thanks for this, Nan. I didn't know you were also a journalist -- but can't say I'm surprised. You have a fine touch with the pen.

When asked about Tennessee, Berube replied, “I don’t care for them at all. My last loss at UConn was to Tennessee. I don’t like orange, either.” Berube laughs, “Seriously, there are some nice people at Tennessee and it’s nothing personal. It’s a great rivalry but, no, I don’t like Tennessee.”​
Well she said that in 2004 but she was captured on the sideline in 2009 dressed like this. Hmmmmm.

Berube09b.JPG

Reaction Score
I know he has a few years left but we could do a lot worse than Carla when it comes time for a replacement. She is Uconn bred and appears to be in line with Geno and Chris's teaching and philosophies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I know he has a few years left but we could do a lot worse than Carla when it comes time for a replacement. She is Uconn bred and appears to be in line with Geno and Chris's teaching and philosophies.
nah... Shea got next!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Princeton has now earned a strong name in WCBB thanks to Ms Bangharts strong coaching and Top 100 ranked Bella Alarie (#83) choosing them and winning against the more traditional powers. In one of the OOC games in Dec, I was watching Yale at NC (with Courtney Banghart) and the announcers were saying the Ivy Schools are now making great inroads on top basketball talent and should be improving overall stature when compared to the other non-P5 schools. Yale went on to beat NC and has a #70 Massey Ranking. Princeton is #15 and should be easily in the top 25 if it weren’t for “name voting” vs. actual quality wins. That said, I think it would be awesome for 2 teams from the Ivy’s to make it to the NCAAT over the 6th place teams from the ACC, SEC or 4/5 teams for the Big12. But We shall see as it should come down to RPI and quality wins.

As you said, Courtney Banghart did a stellar job building Princeton into an Ivy League-title winner. So Carla wasn't walking into an empty gym: far from it, with Bella Alarie, Carlie Littlefield, Julia Cunnigham, etc. But that poses challenges in it's own right, as she said:

"This was going to be a challenge for me just because it was going to be something new, to come into an established program, a talented team that has already won Ivy League championships. A challenge, but I thought it would be a really good transition. I felt like I could come in here and not start from ground zero, but just put my voice and my spin on things.”

So far, so good.

Banghart had done an excellent job of finding local talent regionally, in both public high schools (Cunningham in NJ) and private schools (Grace Stone at Lutheran in Long Island). She was in contact with Sonia Citron (Ursuline in Westchester, NY) and has been with her now that she's in NC. Wonder if Coach Berube has kept that contact alive...I could see Citron playing for either coach. (and of course, another one out in South Bend ;) )

Reaction Score

When asked to further elaborate, Berube cited the definitive criticism of Tennessee:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As you said, Courtney Banghart did a stellar job building Princeton into an Ivy League-title winner. So Carla wasn't walking into an empty gym: far from it, with Bella Alarie, Carlie Littlefield, Julia Cunnigham, etc. But that poses challenges in it's own right, as she said:

"This was going to be a challenge for me just because it was going to be something new, to come into an established program, a talented team that has already won Ivy League championships. A challenge, but I thought it would be a really good transition. I felt like I could come in here and not start from ground zero, but just put my voice and my spin on things.”

So far, so good.

Banghart had done an excellent job of finding local talent regionally, in both public high schools (Cunningham in NJ) and private schools (Grace Stone at Lutheran in Long Island). She was in contact with Sonia Citron (Ursuline in Westchester, NY) and has been with her now that she's in NC. Wonder if Coach Berube has kept that contact alive...I could see Citron playing for either coach. (and of course, another one out in South Bend ;) )
Not sure if you or any of the others on here watched the podcast last night with Geno, Bob Joyce and Carla Berube. It is a great radio/video banter. What I didn't know was Bella is Mark Alarie's daughter who played at Duke with Jay Bilas. Geno had a funny little snippet in the podcast about this.
I also mentioned this in another thread that the announcers doing the NC-Yale game noted that the Ivy's are making serious in-roads on recruiting and this conference would be rising in rankings. Yale is pretty good as evidenced by winning at NC. They need to up their OOC though to be seriously considered for an at-large bid. That's something Carla did mention on the podcast that they need to continue to improve their schedule so they will always be considered for an NCAAT bid either by winning the IVY or with an at-large bid. Also, she did mention to Geno they are playing Yale on Feb 14 at Yale and Geno noted the team doesn't leave for Florida until the next morning. I am going to try to go to that game at Payne Whitney. Again, there was great banter with the 3 of them on that podcast.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe to attract better OOC schedules, the Ivy's can offer free tutoring. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe to attract better OOC schedules, the Ivy's can offer free tutoring. ;)

...and that's just the players, right? Imagine if teachers got involved? ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom