More Needs to be Said about Whalley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More Needs to be Said about Whalley

Reaction Score
The game he played last night — offense, defense and rebounding — was as good a game as I recall seeing a UConn big play in forever. His offense has been somewhat disappointing this year, coming off the way he finished last year, but you couldn’t have asked more from an All American than we got from him last night. A double double while holding Mamu to 7 for 20 from the field on his senior night. Yes, Sanogo was great and showed what he is going to be in the future, but he wasn’t even close to our MVP last night.

Never could anyone have thought when Akok tore his Achilles a little over a year ago that Whaley was capable of a game like that. And as far as I’m concerned, last night we saw the Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
I wish Isaiah had more confidence in his offense. He's not the worst shooter on the team and he is left open often. I haven't re-watched the game but it sure seemed like Whaley had more than the 2 blocks he was credited with. He now has as many blocks as our opponents have combined against us.

Reaction Score
Whalley_01-scaled.jpg
Named after one of the Three Judges, the other two being Dixwell and Goffe, for those brought up in the area and knowing some of its history. Even has a cave, but not much on a cave if you ever saw it up close.

Reaction Score
essentially he wasn’t good enough when he came here and staff took him as filler. He worked hard on his game and plays with a high motor. Great story. He just flat out worked hard to get where he is. All credit to him.
Thanks, John. That is a nice story, makes me cheer even louder.

Reaction Score
Whaley keeps getting better. He is a mobile big man who plays great D, can block shots, and he has decent hands. His shot looks good, but I think he needs more time to develop his offense. I think he would be a great addition to next year's team if it can work out.

Reaction Score
Named after one of the Three Judges, the other two being Dixwell and Goffe, for those brought up in the area and knowing some of its history. Even has a cave, but not much on a cave if you ever saw it up close.

"opposition to tyrants is obedience to god"

- isaiah whalley

Reaction Score
The thought that you could have IW back next year and not plan on playing him a minimum of 25 minutes a game is, frankly, dumb. Sorry if that wasn’t politically correct.

If Akok and Sanogo are both better two way players than him next year, great. We’re going to be really good. They play them each 27 minutes as the only bigs in the rotation and keep them all fresh. But the assumption that Akok is going to be far better than IW next year is one that will have to be proven out. Because Whaley is a much better two way player today than Akok was before the injury.
You are absolutely correct. To me, that only strengthens why we don’t need to bring Whaley back. This has nothing to do with Whaley, but more to do with our roster construction. Assuming Sanogo and Jackson make the expected sophomore jump, this team doesn’t need a clogged front court. We need depth and consistency on our perimeter. A guy who can get instant buckets. We need to replace Bouknights production. I am not suggesting you say no to a guy like a Whaley if he did decide to return. I am saying that this team could potentially be way better by going in a different direction.

Reaction Score
Objectively, I disagree. This has nothing to do personally with Whaley. I really like the kid and would always welcome him back. But next year, our front court should be fine. We need a wing or a 2 who can score the ball at will. We need to replace Bouknights production. We should have Whaley’s covered.
I mean, it's not like he would be taking a scholarship, we can still fill those other needs. And it's borderline insane to me that people think our frontcourt is covered for next year, especially defensively. Our front court next year right now is Sanogo and a bunch of unknowns. I don't know how you can pencil in Johnson or Springs for anything, one is a freshman big man and the other a project. Who knows with Akok, but I think everything would have to go as well as it possibly can for him to defend on Whaley's level next year. Maybe that happens, but there are obviously many scenarios where it doesn't.

Reaction Score
I mean, it's not like he would be taking a scholarship, we can still fill those other needs. And it's borderline insane to me that people think our frontcourt is covered for next year, especially defensively. Our front court next year right now is Sanogo and a bunch of unknowns. I don't know how you can pencil in Johnson or Springs for anything, one is a freshman big man and the other a project. Who knows with Akok, but I think everything would have to go as well as it possibly can for him to defend on Whaley's level next year. Maybe that happens, but there are obviously many scenarios where it doesn't.
He wouldn’t be taking a scholarship? Does a fifth year returnee not count toward our total. I am unaware of the rule. Sure, if he doesn’t count towards our scholarship total, sure you bring him back. He still doesn’t change our need to have a consistent outside threat. If Cole goes down, where will our points come from? I thought we had one ship to potentially fill. To me, that should go to a proven 2 or 3.

Reaction Score
He wouldn’t be taking a scholarship? Does a fifth year returnee not count toward our total. I am unaware of the rule. Sure, if he doesn’t count towards our scholarship total, sure you bring him back. He still doesn’t change our need to have a consistent outside threat. If Cole goes down, where will our points come from? I thought we had one ship to potentially fill. To me, that should go to a proven 2 or 3.

But none of that has anything to do with whether his coming back makes us better.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
He's definitely a great story and is a likeable kid. Not a criticism at all but I wish he'd be more confident shooting the three. He doesn't have a bad stroke and defenses have been sagging off him so he's had some wide open looks. He always seems to think about shooting but then is a bit indecisive and gets out of rhythm, almost as if he's surprised that he's so wide open.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Hurley has said he's not coming back. Let's just enjoy him and great performances like these while we still can.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I see it totally differently. I see a guy who has been our most consistent big by light years, playing his butt off on D every day, even while he has sacrificed his offense by moving to the 4 for most of the game so Sanogo and Carlton have minutes.
He's been a joy to watch. Whaley, saving the Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Someone should tell Whaley there are posters here who would be fine with him coming back for another year, but he needs to be willing to come off the bench for 10 minutes a game. They wouldn't want him to impact Richie Springs' minutes lol.

Still tops in the conference in defensive rating btw.

View attachment 65215
This is a nice table. Where did you find this?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Basically, every player gets an extra year of eligibility that is playing this year. In addition, any senior playing this season can come back next year and their scholarship will not count towards the team's limit. So if Whaley wanted to come back, it would not affect the number of players we would bring in next year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whaley played a terrific game. His early blocks of Mamu took Mamu out of his game and rattled him. Overall, I think Sanogo had an even better game, because he created his own offense when we desperately needed it, while Whaley mostly had (very helpful) garbage baskets aside from his unguarded 3. But I think we showed why Hurley keeps starting both of them, and needs to continue to do so. When we only had one of them in, the opponent exploits our lack of rim protection.

Reaction Score
IW is usually giving up some size on who he is guarding and plays D with a lot of intelligence. I enjoy watching him waiting on the guy he's playing against to make their move first before he kicks his fast twitch muscles into gear.

The first three or four shots Mamu put up were blocked/deflected/hurried because of his D.. Hope AS is taking notes. Definitely had a major impact on the outcome of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Basically, every player gets an extra year of eligibility that is playing this year. In addition, any senior playing this season can come back next year and their scholarship will not count towards the team's limit. So if Whaley wanted to come back, it would not affect the number of players we would bring in next year.
Thanks. Please ignore everything I just said.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The game he played last night — offense, defense and rebounding — was as good a game as I recall seeing a UConn big play in forever. His offense has been somewhat disappointing this year, coming off the way he finished last year, but you couldn’t have asked more from an All American than we got from him last night. A double double while holding Mamu to 7 for 20 from the field on his senior night. Yes, Sanogo was great and showed what he is going to be in the future, but he wasn’t even close to our MVP last night.

Never could anyone have thought when Akok tore his Achilles a little over a year ago that Whaley was capable of a game like that. And as far as I’m concerned, last night we saw the Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

I love the guy.

He is 100% dpoy.

It’s been a heck of a road for him, but he’s worked his butt off the entire time. He willed himself into a high major starting caliber player.

I still think his offense is somewhat overblown. Our guards consistently miss him open in the post with great position. But no, he’s not going to be an all American scorer type.

But he does those “little things” that win games.

Top notch defense (including elite pick and roll defense and switch ability)

Rebounds

Screens

All the dirty work.

He’s even worked to add a little 3 ball into his game after basically being banned from moving outside of 3 feet of the hoop early on in his career.

I love guys like him and vital who get everything they have out of their talent out of sheer will. In this world of early entry to the NBA, you need guys like that to build the program.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Whaley's improvement over the course of the season screams Kevin Freeman's influence as an undersized 4. He's really improved from what I saw vs. DePaul in late December.

I have a nice dry rub that I use on chicken and pork. Can I smoke the crow before I eat it?

Reaction Score
I love the guy.

He is 100% dpoy.

It’s been a heck of a road for him, but he’s worked his butt off the entire time. He willed himself into a high major starting caliber player.

I still think his offense is somewhat overblown. Our guards consistently miss him open in the post with great position. But no, he’s not going to be an all American scorer type.

But he does those “little things” that win games.

Top notch defense (including elite pick and roll defense and switch ability)

Rebounds

Screens

All the dirty work.

He’s even worked to add a little 3 ball into his game after basically being banned from moving outside of 3 feet of the hoop early on in his career.

I love guys like him and vital who get everything they have out of their talent out of sheer will. In this world of early entry to the NBA, you need guys like that to build the program.
5.7 points on 38% shooting his last 9 games before last night. The offense has been really bad with a bunch of missed bunnies, luckily the defense is always really good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom