More Needs to be Said about Whalley | The Boneyard

More Needs to be Said about Whalley

Reaction Score
The game he played last night — offense, defense and rebounding — was as good a game as I recall seeing a UConn big play in forever. His offense has been somewhat disappointing this year, coming off the way he finished last year, but you couldn’t have asked more from an All American than we got from him last night. A double double while holding Mamu to 7 for 20 from the field on his senior night. Yes, Sanogo was great and showed what he is going to be in the future, but he wasn’t even close to our MVP last night.

Never could anyone have thought when Akok tore his Achilles a little over a year ago that Whaley was capable of a game like that. And as far as I’m concerned, last night we saw the Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
Whaley is my second favorite UConn player ever. Great kid, very good player, worked his tail off for everything he's got. Hope he makes so much money playing this game as a pro, though I'd welcome his back with open arms if he wants one more year

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Whaley is my second favorite UConn player ever. Great kid, very good player, worked his tail off for everything he's got. Hope he makes so much money playing this game as a pro, though I'd welcome his back with open arms if he wants one more year
Who's your first?
Mine is Emeka

Reaction Score
Watching him last night makes me wonder if he gets any kind of look from scouts. He does something that can't be taught - he jumps quick. This enables him to block shots. He is athletic, has a great attitude and must be a hard worker.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A lot of people spend some time on my Mamu. Whaley was the only one who could consistently keep him in check. Mamu was calling for the ball when Martin, a decent defender, was on him.

Huge game by Whaley.

Reaction Score
Let’s start by spelling his correctly.
Whalley_01-scaled.jpg

Reaction Score
As soon as I saw SH was allowing fans I knew he’d have a monster game.
underrated point.

he was incredible last night. really had a complete game, hitting jumpers, scoring in the post, putbacks, blocks, and great perimeter d.

Reaction Score
Someone should tell Whaley there are posters here who would be fine with him coming back for another year, but he needs to be willing to come off the bench for 10 minutes a game. They wouldn't want him to impact Richie Springs' minutes lol.

Still tops in the conference in defensive rating btw.

1614863465636.png

Reaction Score
No question, Whaley played great last night and was a difference maker. Makes up for the total goose egg he had vs Nova. We need a consistent Whaley, not the Jeckll and Hyde Whaley he has been most of the season. Although, if I have to choose, I certainly liked last nights version way more!!!

Reaction Score
Someone should tell Whaley there are posters here who would be fine with him coming back for another year, but he needs to be willing to come off the bench for 10 minutes a game. They wouldn't want him to impact Richie Springs' minutes lol.

Still tops in the conference in defensive rating btw.

View attachment 65215
Objectively, I disagree. This has nothing to do personally with Whaley. I really like the kid and would always welcome him back. But next year, our front court should be fine. We need a wing or a 2 who can score the ball at will. We need to replace Bouknights production. We should have Whaley’s covered.

Reaction Score
His story will never be forgotten. He is an unsung hero and will be remembered forever at UConn for never giving up. He has been awesome and his defense last night was really good even though Mamu dropped 20.

The thought that you could have IW back next year and not plan on playing him a minimum of 25 minutes a game is, frankly, dumb. Sorry if that wasn’t politically correct.

If Akok and Sanogo are both better two way players than him next year, great. We’re going to be really good. Then play them each 27 minutes as the only bigs in the rotation and keep them all fresh. But the assumption that Akok is going to be far better than IW next year is one that will have to be proven out. Because Whaley is a much better two way player today than Akok was before the injury.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No question, Whaley played great last night and was a difference maker. Makes up for the total goose egg he had vs Nova. We need a consistent Whaley, not the Jeckll and Hyde Whaley he has been most of the season. Although, if I have to choose, I certainly liked last nights version way more!!!

I see it totally differently. I see a guy who has been our most consistent big by light years, playing his butt off on D every day, even while he has sacrificed his offense by moving to the 4 for most of the game so Sanogo and Carlton have minutes.

Reaction Score
I see it totally differently. I see a guy who has been our most consistent big by light years, playing his butt off on D every day, even while he has sacrificed his offense by moving to the 4 for most of the game so Sanogo and Carlton have minutes.
Last night for sure. No one can argue that. I feel a few of our losses were in large part due to the fact Whaley didn’t show up.

Reaction Score
I remember Hurley talking about Whaley at the beginning of the season, stating that he feeds off the energy of a crowd. That seems to be true.

In three road games with fans: Butler- 9 points, 3 blocks, 2 steals. Xavier- 12 points, 10 boards, 5 blocks, 1 steal. Seton Hall- 17 points, 10 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal

Reaction Score
IW was simply awesome last night, but could someone summarize the IW career story? I stopped watching games for a few years so I'm not familiar. Thanks.

Reaction Score
IW was simply awesome last night, but could someone summarize the IW career story? I stopped watching games for a few years so I'm not familiar. Thanks.

He was a last minute recruit as the KO regime was falling and we needed replacement bodies to replace everyone who was transferring out. He was not a highly sought after recruit. He came here, played a little as a frosh under KO and then got nothing but garbage minutes under Hurley for a year and a half. Than Akok tore his Achilles on what was already a thin team, and he was put in the starting lineup. And played the half conference season he played last year at probably a second team all conference level, and was one of the biggest reason the team turned around its start and started winning conference games again.

Reaction Score
essentially he wasn’t good enough when he came here and staff took him as filler. He worked hard on his game and plays with a high motor. Great story. He just flat out worked hard to get where he is. All credit to him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom