More motivation Danny ... | The Boneyard

More motivation Danny ...

pj

Reaction Score
Mystery teams, All-Americans and other national predictions for 2023-24

The first top 25 team to exit the NCAA tournament​

Medcalf: I'll pick UConn. Why? Recent champs have had rough outings the year after their title runs (or two years later, in Virginia's case, since we didn't have a 2020 national championship). Duke's 2015-16 squad was the last national champion to reach the second weekend in the next NCAA tournament. How wild is that? The Huskies could get caught in a similar title hangover.

FINAL FOUR PICKS (* NEXT TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPION)​

Borzello: Kansas*, Michigan State, Tennessee, Baylor
Gasaway: Kansas*, Purdue, Tennessee, Creighton
Lunardi: Kansas*, Purdue, Duke, Tennessee
Medcalf: *Houston, Kansas, Purdue, Michigan State

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Medcalf: I'll pick UConn. Why? Recent champs have had rough outings the year after their title runs (or two years later, in Virginia's case, since we didn't have a 2020 national championship). Duke's 2015-16 squad was the last national champion to reach the second weekend in the next NCAA tournament. How wild is that? The Huskies could get caught in a similar title hangover.
That’s actually pretty crazy. Wonder what the average seed was for the defending champs?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It would be great to repeat. But the journey is half the fun. For me I would be ok with a very good regular season which means either a BE regular season title or BE tourney championship and making it to the second weekend 0f the NCAA tourney. If we take care of business in the regular season by finishing 1st or 2nd and then making the BE championship game we are probably at worst a three seed probably two seed if we do one of the two and more than likely a 1 seed if we do both. If we do that then the rest will be fun. We should never expect another run like last year. It was mind blowing. I would still be stressing out and DH would be emptying the bench. It was a surreal tourney run and how many fans can say they ever experienced anything like it. We are a very lucky fan base even though our school gets no respect from the 5* recruits.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
That’s actually pretty crazy. Wonder what the average seed was for the defending champs?
What crazier is the love for Purdue not only have they proven to be less than clutch in big games they come from the over rated big 10 or whatever the name of that over rated conference is.

Reaction Score
Merge the threads?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
What crazier is the love for Purdue not only have they proven to be less than clutch in big games they come from the over rated big 10 or whatever the name of that over rated conference is.
I don't think the love for them is that crazy because Virginia ended up winning the national championship the year after getting bounced by #16 UMBC. I guess people think there is a precedent there.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I don't think the love for them is that crazy because Virginia ended up winning the national championship the year after getting bounced by #16 UMBC. I guess people think there is a precedent there.
I thought about that angle before I posted. Don’t disagree that could have been a reason for some of the experts picking them. But they still play in the most over rated conference in America. At least when it comes to basketball.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This is the article I mentioned in the other thread. It's even better now with not one, but two votes for Sparty in the final four.

Reaction Score

FINAL FOUR PICKS (* NEXT TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPION)​

Borzello: Kansas*, Michigan State, Tennessee, Baylor
Gasaway: Kansas*, Purdue, Tennessee, Creighton
Lunardi: Kansas*, Purdue, Duke, Tennessee
Medcalf: *Houston, Kansas, Purdue, Michigan State
Sure because anything can happen but none of those teams were as loaded and ready to go at a repeat like it appears Uconn might. This is just another clown looking to take a shot at the program. I mean the guy has MSU in his F4 after they just lost their opening game to a mid minor and has 1 F4 since 2015. Yawwwn!

Reaction Score
Of all sports, nba nfl mlb nhl cfb etc.
I'd have to say CBB is the hardest to predict. Most preseason predictions end up being so far off you wonder why people still make them.

Reaction Score
It's nearly impossible to win those things but our coaching staff has been through this and knows preparation. They have all season to get ready to make a run. If we have a team that shares the ball like last year with big assist differentials I like our chances. All of the youngsters have to learn and make their mistakes which is OK.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Those bozos can't pick the Final Four in March, does anyone think it's possible for them to pick the Final Four in November? They're so damn cute

I think meteorologists can forecast the weather 5 months out more accurately than college basketball experts can pick the final four 5 months out. And that's not setting the bar very high

PS: Has Seth Davis picked Gonzaga to win it all yet? Is he still out there hugging brackets?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Donavan Clingan is the difference between us and the rest.

Actually... if we are to win it all then it will be our bench, like last year, that will be the difference between us and the rest. Therefore, it is actually Samson Johnson who will be the difference between us and the rest.

And after watching him the other night... I want to see how he does against the tougher opponents in our pre-conference schedule. But if he continues to look this much improved, then heck yeah, we got a legit shot.

The 2 headed-monster that was Sanogo and Clingan along with our firepower from 3 off the bench was our biggest advantage. If we have that again... THEN LOOK OUT!

Reaction Score
Of course the odds of winning back-to-back Titles is by definition long odds because of the nature of the Tournament. But I would be disappointed if Uconn didn't give it a serious run. Anything less than an E8 appearance and a BE title run would be a letdown as this team is stacked with a good mix of talented experience and newcomers.

This potentially could be our last Title run for a while as we could be losing a lot of talent after this year, and our recruiting was a bit disappointing for next year's team. We need to go for it this year.

Reaction Score
Medcalf has been hating on UConn for many years. Nothing new.

No he hasn’t. Jesus, he didn’t even give a reason based on the actual makeup of the team. He just said “well, they won it last year and sometimes there’s a hangover after you win.” He’s not even being critical.

Reaction Score
Of course the odds of winning back-to-back Titles is by definition long odds because of the nature of the Tournament. But I would be disappointed if Uconn didn't give it a serious run. Anything less than an E8 appearance and a BE title run would be a letdown as this team is stacked with a good mix of talented experience and newcomers.

This potentially could be our last Title run for a while as we could be losing a lot of talent after this year, and our recruiting was a bit disappointing for next year's team. We need to go for it this year.

Welcome to CBB in 2023.

Spoiler alert: There's this new-fangled thing known as "The Portal". It allows a team to "draft" a high-caliber player who has already shown they can excel at the CBB play level (vs. only recruiting HS players who may be a somewhat unknown quantity at the CBB level).

There's also this thing known as "NIL" where teams can pay these high-quality players to join their team.

They may not be the best thing for CBB, but they alleviate the problems you're fretting about in your post.

;)

Reaction Score
No he hasn’t. , he didn’t even give a reason based on the actual makeup of the team. He just said “well, they won it last year and sometimes there’s a hangover after you win.” He’s not even being critical.
I mean that’s the definition of hating. Saying we’ll flame out early with no reasoning is hate.

Reaction Score

You probably felt the same way about the Shabazz class……

He won 2 titles

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom