More heartbeats from B1G land..... | The Boneyard

More heartbeats from B1G land.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
That's the same heartbeat we had a week ago. If we only get one heartbeat a month, we're in trouble.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
These are less heartbeats and more the chicken taking a quick lap without its head before it keels over.

Reaction Score
Maybe something happens, maybe it doesnt. But pro or con, one thing I do know is I have yet to see a single poster here who has been "right" on realignment. For a dead issue, it sure seems like the AD's and other people in the Big Ten keep on talking about how its still possible. I find that to be more informative than anyone here.

One thing I know, is that no one here knows.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna be less optimistic. 30 minutes - not 20 anymore.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe something happens, maybe it doesnt. But pro or con, one thing I do know is I have yet to see a single poster here who has been "right" on realignment. For a dead issue, it sure seems like the AD's and other people in the Big Ten keep on talking about how its still possible. I find that to be more informative than anyone here.

We know they'd prefer a bigger conference to provide inventory for the BTN. But we also know they've been pretty choosy about invites, turning down Missouri and reportedly Florida State and Georgia Tech. If expansion means going to 15, an unattractive number for football scheduling, then the hurdle is probably higher. What do we have to do to be attractive enough to get an invite? We know that what we are now is not yet enough.

Reaction Score
The B!G is expected to distribute about 26million per team this year. It will be hard to find schools capable of adding enough to pay for themselves. In my mind even RU and MD will end up being suspect on that. I don't think the conference expands again until they see if those two are dilutive or additive. With the SEC starting its network next year the revenue stream from many non B!G areas of the country may come under pressure if carriers switch from B!G to SEC or put B!G on a higher tier. All of this lessens the probability of B!G expansion in the next 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
We know they'd prefer a bigger conference to provide inventory for the BTN. But we also know they've been pretty choosy about invites, turning down Missouri and reportedly Florida State and Georgia Tech. If expansion means going to 15, an unattractive number for football scheduling, then the hurdle is probably higher. What do we have to do to be attractive enough to get an invite? We know that what we are now is not yet enough.

The lack of AAU membership will remain a challenge for UCONN to get an invitation to the B1G.

Here is an excerpt from an article that quotes University of Iowa President Sally Mason: http://thegazette.com/2013/04/30/uis-mason-b1g-expansion-on-hold-at-this-time/

Membership in the Association of American Universities, a prestigious consortium of research institutions, remains a primary tenet to Big Ten future expansion. Thirteen of the league’s 14 schools are AAU members. Nebraska was expelled from the AAU shortly after it was accepted into the Big Ten in 2010.

“I certainly would have to think long and hard about the merits of something like that,” Mason said of admitting a non-AAU member into the Big Ten. “We’ve been pretty clear about the quality of institutions that we have thought are appropriate to be a member institution of the Big Ten Conference.”

An interpretation of this quote would be that an invitation to the B1G is still possible without AAU membership but I imagine the school would have to demonstrate metrics that meet or exceed those who are AAU members.
I understand there are actually metrics for which UCONN exceeds schools who are AAU members at this time: http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-November-7-Department-Head-Presentation.pdf.
I would hope that the B1G would give this consideration but the lack of actual AAU membership may just be too much of an issue for some of the B1G Presidents.
I think it is unfortunate that lack of membership in this one organization would prevent an invitation to the B1G even though the school in question is a flagship public research university such as UCONN.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The B!G is expected to distribute about 26million per team this year. It will be hard to find schools capable of adding enough to pay for themselves. In my mind even RU and MD will end up being suspect on that. I don't think the conference expands again until they see if those two are dilutive or additive. With the SEC starting its network next year the revenue stream from many non B!G areas of the country may come under pressure if carriers switch from B!G to SEC or put B!G on a higher tier. All of this lessens the probability of B!G expansion in the next 3-4 years.

CT: ~1.5M cable households x $2.00/mo x 12 months = $36M per year. We can pay our own way.

Reaction Score
CT: ~1.5M cable households x $2.00/mo x 12 months = $36M per year. We can pay our own way.

If that were anywhere near possible we would have been there last year or we would have our choice of conferences and would certainly not be in the AAC. Better yet we would be Independent since our media rights would be bigger than ND's.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Fishy will tell you he does. He has highly placed sources.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If that were anywhere near possible we would have been there last year or we would have our choice of conferences and would certainly not be in the AAC. Better yet we would be Independent since our media rights would be bigger than ND's.

It is true. In fact, SNY is reportedly getting $2.55 per month, statewide. You better believe that is not do to the pull of the Mets, but rather is a reflection of the strength of the UCONN brand.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
These are less heartbeats and more the chicken taking a quick lap without its head before it keels over.

Doesn't the wet blanket routine ever get old?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Does the the fact that it's true make you more or less angry at the former leadership of the Big East?

And no, we couldn't go independent because independence has less to do with money than it does your ability to schedule games and have people outside your locale watch those games.

AAU equals less money, the ability to pay actual games in November, and be on ESPN OCHO.

That the money is so pathetic is on the older folks who gave ESPN right of first refusal and the newer folks who couldn't figure out how to beat it.

Reaction Score
May 5, 2013
Columbus Dispatch
Q & A with athletic director Gene Smith of the Ohio $tate University

: Q With the ACC’s move last week to discourage their schools from leaving, do you think the expansion wave is over?

I can’t say it’s done because you just don’t know what you don’t know. I think there will be expansion. It could be years from now or somebody might be planning something right now. I can see some scenarios, so I don’t think it’s done.

Q: How comfortable are you with the Big Ten at 14 teams?

A: I’m comfortable where we are. Of course, I was comfortable with where we were. I could be comfortable with 16 if we ever went there. Fourteen is a good number, too.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/05/05/0505-ohio-state-gene-smith-interview.html

Come on guys. Let's get real. Just because some athletic directors at Michigan and Ohio State go on record means nothing. These guys are small time. They're clueless, uninformed, and clearly don't read how expansion is dead on lots and lots of message boards. I mean, there's a guy I know that blogged about this stuff and even has adsense on his site.

Until MinnietheBackhoe chimes in, there's nothing to see here. Don't be sucked in by these administrator clowns from the likes of Michigan, Ohio State and whatever Podunk U's are out there.

Thump, thump. Thump, thump.

Reaction Score
May 5, 2013

Columbus Dispatch
Q & A with athletic director Gene Smith of the Ohio $tate University

: Q With the ACC’s move last week to discourage their schools from leaving, do you think the expansion wave is over?

I can’t say it’s done because you just don’t know what you don’t know. I think there will be expansion. It could be years from now or somebody might be planning something right now. I can see some scenarios, so I don’t think it’s done.

Did he miss any disclaimers?;)

Reaction Score
To be honest, that article didnt tell me a thing...neither did the Smith Q & A. It seems like its all the same same stuff recycled over and over and its just said by a different person. "we are happy where we are, it may not be over, we could work with 16, we'll see what happens" The only thing that has remained consistent since realignment started is that there were never any warnings. The news just broke out of nowhere and I expect that to hold true in the future.

pj

Reaction Score

It is possible if we're in the B1G. It's not possible in the ACC because they don't have a cable network. ESPN gets $5 per household per month in CT and part of the reason is UConn. UConn can't make its own regional network for lack of inventory and can't sell it's own inventory (without conference synergies) for Notre Dame money due to lack of a national brand. But UConn would be accretive to the B1G.

The lack of AAU membership will remain a challenge for UCONN to get an invitation to the B1G.

Agreed, but we are talking to the AAU already, are investing large sums to meet their standards including a $2 billion science/technology/engineering initiative and a faculty expansion with accompanying student body expansion. UConn will be in the AAU in 2-4 years and I doubt the timeframe for B1G expansion is so rapid that the AAU status will be a barrier.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Doesn't the wet blanket routine ever get old?

duck* off, sweetie. The happy-happy joy-joy view of things hasn't exactly borne out, now has it?

Use the ignore button.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
F* off, sweetie. The happy-happy joy-joy view of things hasn't exactly borne out, now has it?

Use the ignore button.

No, it certainly has not. Doesn't mean it won't in the future, though.

You unfailingly crush any and all glimmers of hope that emerge here. That's odd to me, but its your board, so your prerogative.

Reaction Score
It's just better to ignore the loathers. Who knows why they enjoy swimming in the murk of ignorance?

When the AD at Michigan is asked "Is the Big Ten expanding?" and answers the way that he did, shoot me for realizing that he gave an answer that did not preclude further expansion. The same for the AD at OSU.

How delusionally optimistic of me to realize that "maybe" means something different than "no." It's a curse for sure, and it's been around since I was a toddler. All these years and I never realized how bad I had it.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
It's just better to ignore the loathers. Who knows why they enjoy swimming in the murk of ignorance?

When the AD at Michigan is asked "Is the Big Ten expanding?" and answers the way that he did, shoot me for realizing that he gave an answer that did not preclude further expansion. The same for the AD at OSU.

How delusionally optimistic of me to realize that "maybe" means something different than "no." It's a curse for sure, and it's been around since I was a toddler. All these years and I never realized how bad I had it.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104