More Giffey | The Boneyard

More Giffey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure why we dont see more Giffey. He brings skill, energy and experience. Any good answers why.

Reaction Score
At some point it's up to him...if he's not assertive I don't think he's getting more touches. Also he's a marked man by the opposing team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was shocked he wasn't on the floor at the end when we desperately needed points.

Earlier in the day I watched Lamar Patterson drop 3 consecutive treys to get Pitt back in the game vs 'Scuse. Not saying Giffey was the guy to do that, but if it's not gonna be Bazz, is there a better second choice?

Reaction Score
storrsroars said:
I was shocked he wasn't on the floor at the end when we desperately needed points.

Earlier in the day I watched Lamar Patterson drop 3 consecutive treys to get Pitt back in the game vs 'Scuse. Not saying Giffey was the guy to do that, but if it's not gonna be Bazz, is there a better second choice?

I was a little surprised we pulled Bazz out with 4. At that point, F it, you're down 12. And then to not put him in at the media timeout was just silliness.

We might have tried to go with our best pressing unit in the last four minutes, but a little offense/defense would make sense. Brimah wasn't exactly a must have on the defensive glass.

Reaction Score
Not sure why we dont see more Giffey. He brings skill, energy and experience. Any good answers why.
I'll tell you why we don't see more Giffey: he is a spot up shooter and little else. He doesn't move without the ball. He is slow on D and gets beat by just about everyone off the dribble. His passing and ball handling is fair at best. He doesn't rebound. Hate to knock the kid but it gets a little old hearing fans scream for more Giffey. Ollie knows what he is doing and recognizes his weaknesses which are many. Giffey is what he is: an excellent shooter, period.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Danzz,

You lost a lot of credibility with your Giffey is slow post. We can all see he is white. He is also our best defender at forward for the last 2 years and he can take it to the hole. As another, more intelligent, poster pointed out, at some point it is on Giffey to be more assertive.

Reaction Score
Giffey is either our best or second best defender, it's a toss up with Kromah. He rebounds better than kromah and calhoun and his handle isn't the best in that he can't consistently beat his man off the dribble but at this point calhoun can't either and kromah does rarely. The problem is that he can't get himself open looks often. Part of that is on him and his inability to really shake defenders. The other and somewhat larger systemic issue is that our guards against good defenses stop trying to break down defenses and settle for long, constested jumpers. No slash means no kick to giffey. Giffey also made a lot of his open threes on transition plays earlier in the season and somehow our team has regressed in that area. Any suggestion that all Giffey brings to the table is shooting is asinine. He's the glue; he brings 110 percent every night, he rebounds well for his size, he plays excellent defense (although this season he has tended to help a bit much though that's as much on our guards being uber aggressive), and he can knock down open shots. He's not the problem.

Reaction Score
Danzz,

You lost a lot of credibility with your Giffey is slow post. We can all see he is white. He is also our best defender at forward for the last 2 years and he can take it to the hole. As another, more intelligent, poster pointed out, at some point it is on Giffey to be more assertive.
No he is not our best defender at forward and no he can't take it to the hole. Giffey the slasher? Now that is laughable. I don't know what you are watching but it appears that Ollie and tonight Miller appear to see the same player as I do. It is natural for fans to speculate on lineups but when in doubt go with the decision of the 13 year NBA veteran who sees the kid play everyday. But I'm sure you know better.
And BTW skin color never even entered my mind but it apparently entered yours.

Reaction Score
I love Niels, but he is not a slasher. He took the ball to the hole twice last night and was stripped both times. He is what he is, an excellent glue guy who can really shoot it if open. I like him on the court b/c he generally makes the correct play but he's not the slasher some think he is.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you why we don't see more Giffey: he is a spot up shooter and little else.
Wow. I'm really surprised at how negative you are on this kid.

Last night, in 18 minutes, he was 1 of 2 from 3 and 2 of 4 from 2, both better than the team averages for the game by a lot. He had 2 offensive and 2 defensive boards. 4 total, and tied for second on the team after guys who played more minutes than him. He also drew a nice foul on a 3 point shot that wasn't called.

Why do you have so much hate for the kid?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Giffey can drive, pass, and shoot. If you don't believe that then you didn't watch him play in Germany. Which is acceptable because the games were at 2am and in German.

But in regards to him not getting looks, that's not the issue here. Rashad Anderson couldn't really create a shot for $#@#$@. He had no handle or ability to create yet he averaged 12ppg strictly off of curls and jumpshots off screens. We don't run those for Giff.

Reaction Score
I know he is a spot up shooter, but I find it hard to believe that we are unable to get him open for the shots?

Reaction Score
Giffey can drive, pass, and shoot. If you don't believe that then you didn't watch him play in Germany. Which is acceptable because the games were at 2am and in German.

But in regards to him not getting looks, that's not the issue here. Rashad Anderson couldn't really create a shot for $#@#$@. He had no handle or ability to create yet he averaged 12ppg strictly off of curls and jumpshots off screens. We don't run those for Giff.

Not sure if the first part was a joke or not. But did you see the German games? If so, was he noticeably different player? I agree that we don't run much for Giff and you are right about Rashad. The difference is that Rashad had the confidence to take and make any shot presented to him. Niels, for whatever reason, does not.

Reaction Score
Wow. I'm really surprised at how negative you are on this kid.

Last night, in 18 minutes, he was 1 of 2 from 3 and 2 of 4 from 2, both better than the team averages for the game by a lot. He had 2 offensive and 2 defensive boards. 4 total, and tied for second on the team after guys who played more minutes than him. He also drew a nice foul on a 3 point shot that wasn't called.

Why do you have so much hate for the kid?
I don't hate Giffey at all or any player for that matter. In fact I think he is an important asset and I'm glad we have him. He is an excellent spot up shooter and there is nothing wrong with that. The question of whether or not we run enough plays for him is another issue and I probably agree with those who think that we don't.
The difference between Giffey and Rashad Anderson is that Rashad was an excellent shooter under defensive pressure and I'm not sure Niels is. Fans recognized what Rashad was but some insist on trying to make Giffey something he isn't.

Reaction Score
The European game is much different than what is going on in the AAC.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Giffey is actually quite decent at driving...he has made several effective plays over the last few games, with the drives ending in either a good shot or an accurate and well-timed pass. Not sure what games you fellas are watching or did you fall asleep during those sequences?
Dies he need to be more aggressive on offense? Absolutely!
He is actually a good defender but has been over-helping for some reason this season.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Giffey is not the sort of player you use as a focal point, but the other guys need to be aware of where he is. There were a few spots last night where a he was open for a three. For all the driving ability the guards have they are about 80% take it all the way and 20% kick it out. When they did pass, Brimah, DD and Nolan fumbled the catch or missed the bunny. Need to be able to trust someone down there. I'm all for giving some of Nolan's minutes to Facey at this point, he looks more comfortable near the ball. Maybe a few of DD's too. I think the AB/TO minutes were about right.

Reaction Score
At some point it's up to him...if he's not assertive I don't think he's getting more touches. Also he's a marked man by the opposing team.

He has done his part. He was the only Husky on the offensive glass last night.

Ollie never runs a play to get him an open look. He only gets clean looks on transition.

Reaction Score
I don't hate Giffey at all or any player for that matter.
Nope. You have obvious hate for the guy.
You didn't write "we don't need to get more shots for the guy."
You didn't write "he has a mediocre handle and can't drive."

You wrote: "he is a spot up shooter and little else."

The thing is, he's a lot else. That's why so many guys on this forum like him so much. He is the ultimate glue guy. He digs out rebounds, he's relentless on defense, he's a help defender, he's selfless with the ball, he cheers on and supports his teammates, and he has a nose for the ball that most guys don't have.

Your comment was factually asinine, and the only explanation as to why you would write such an abrasive, obviously incorrect comment is because you have some hate for the kid, whether latent or blatant.

Sad to see in an alleged fan, really.

Reaction Score
Giffey has turned himself into a good shooter but he's not athletic enough to flip himself open even with close picks. He needs an open shot at this level. Other than open jumpers, reactionary shots off loose balls and rebounds are the extent of his arsenal.

He's been a consistently good ORB since he's been here and jumps in to tap out a good amount of them, too.

He used to get his hand on more loose balls because he was a roamer on offense, doing little things. Now, he sits in the corner more often, waiting for the pass that rarely comes. Ollie has set him up on a few inbounds plays, though.

His handle has grown to average and his passing skills remain average.

His motor only stops to refuel.

His man and team D are excellent. He stays in front of most allegedly quicker players and uses his long arms to efficiently wave away passing lanes.

Focus could be more consistent. He's had a number of silly reach-ins the past several games that are a bit puzzling even considering the newness of the arm-guarding rule.

Assertiveness has climbed to 'just below average' since a frosh, when his most consistently good play was pivoting with the ball. Here is a potential and plausibly improvable benefit for us the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
Giffey I don't believe is the type of player who can run off curls and screens for a 3 pt jumper. He is a great spot up shooter, but needs time

Reaction Score
It amazes me how many think he can't shoot off a curl or tight pick……he's proven to shoot with defenders closing on him many times without panic and I think we have to see them run a few plays to allow it to happen before we can jump to any conclusions.

Reaction Score
It amazes me how many think he can't shoot off a curl or tight pick……he's proven to shoot with defenders closing on him many times without panic and I think we have to see them run a few plays to allow it to happen before we can jump to any conclusions.
That is fair I just for some reason remember a play earlier in the year where he came off a baseline screen for an open three and his shot just looked rushed....but I do think he deserves some more shots before I can say this for sure

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:

He made a shot with a defender closing yesterday because his feet were set and he was square to the basket. Giff has a nice high release and can shoot over people pretty well, but he needs to be completely square before the ball arrives. He can't square his body on the move (ie off a curl) - or if he can, I've never really seen it. Bazz may have great post moves, but Ive never seen those either - and at this point in his career, we're not sending him down to the low block.

Giff had a Jamal Coombs-McDaniel-type week where his production went through the roof as he got wide open a lot, but he's reverted to what he is - a 6 ppg glue guy who doesn't make many mistakes. Great role player, great teammate, glad we have him - but he isn't a go to guy. We can't turn him into Rashad any more than we could make Craig Austrie into Ben Gordon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'll tell you why we don't see more Giffey: he is a spot up shooter and little else. He doesn't move without the ball. He is slow on D and gets beat by just about everyone off the dribble. His passing and ball handling is fair at best. He doesn't rebound. Hate to knock the kid but it gets a little old hearing fans scream for more Giffey. Ollie knows what he is doing and recognizes his weaknesses which are many. Giffey is what he is: an excellent shooter, period.
He is slow and his handle is suspect BUT Ive seen him block shots and pull down rebounds. Your Obama like "period" is like Oblamo, untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom