More fallout from Louisville/Oregon/Russell | The Boneyard

More fallout from Louisville/Oregon/Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You may recall there was some buzz around the commitment of Alexis Montgomery to Louisville. Some viewed her recruitment as an attempt to lure Mercedes Russell, her teammate and good friend. When Russell verballed to Tenn, some stated that Walz would pull Montgomery's offer or push her to go elsewhere.

Today, we get this news:
Alexis Montgomery 5-9 G 2013 Beaverton HS OR has decommitted from Louisville & will sign with Seattle University​

Not sure what happened. There's always the possibility that she did this voluntarily -- worried about the negative backlash she has received from L'ville fans. Either way, does not look good for Cardinals.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
hmmmmm........

speculation at this point so who knows. I hope that this all happened voluntarily on the part of Montgomery.

Good Luck to her wherever she plays college ball.

Louisville recruiting seems odd to me at this point.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure what happened. There's always the possibility that she did this voluntarily -- worried about the negative backlash she has received from L'ville fans. Either way, does not look good for Cardinals.

What kind of backlash has she received from Louisville fans?

It's difficult to figure out what's going on with Walz and Louisville. The program's trajectory was definitely pointing upwards after the trip to the FF and the opening of the YUM arena. Now, he seems to have lost his way, using gimmicks like billboards and recruiting a friend of Russell's whom he would not otherwise recruit. Now she's de-committed, joining Epps and Goodin-Rogers as players who've de-committed from Louisville in the class of 2013.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Seattle? Joan Bonvicini, FWIW, former head coach at Arizona and quite successful at one time. Slipped, especially after that player died at AZ, but has not been successful at the Seattle level.

Reaction Score
What kind of backlash has she received from Louisville fans?

I was just grasping for straws there on possible alternative explanations.
I've heard 2nd hand of some of the L'ville fans going nuts when Russell committed elsewhere and were demanding Walz pull Montgomery's offer. But I dont want to overstate the significance.

Reaction Score
Seattle? Joan Bonvicini, FWIW, former head coach at Arizona and quite successful at one time. Slipped, especially after that player died at AZ, but has not been successful at the Seattle level.

Seattle is new to Div I, and havent had a conference (Joining WAC next year.), so lack of success not a huge surprise.

Given the weak performance of all the northern PAC schools, seems like there would be an opportunity for another D-I school in that area to have some success.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
He used her to try and get Russell and it didn't work.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe she thought Russell was going there and once she didn't Montgomery changed her mind.

All sorts of scenarios to consider. But, if Walz offered Montgomery a scholly only because he wanted Russell, shame on him. He should have just hired Russell's AAU coach.

Reaction Score
Louisville already has 4 point guards returning, 1 JUCO PG verbal (Cannon), and another JUCO PG Starr Breedlove just visited this weekend

very interesting

Reaction Score
Maybe she thought Russell was going there and once she didn't Montgomery changed her mind.

Seems doubtful given that they're supposedly very good friends. Also she announced earlier the same day.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maybe UCONN12456789 can give us more insight on this :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Louisville already has 4 point guards returning, 1 JUCO PG verbal (Cannon), and another JUCO PG Starr Breedlove just visited this weekend

very interesting

Breedlove just committed to Louisville

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
At 1 point Breedlove was interested in coming west to Wdub I think but not sure whether she could get in. Why would a kids parent let their kid verbal knowing that she was not Louisville caliber even if they thought her best friend was going there. 1 Scenario wanted the education and be with her best friend Walz willing to burn a schollie for it, well friend goes elsewhere, so much for true friends!

Reaction Score
While I don't think it's a good idea, college BB has a long history of doing this sort of thing. I can remember Pistol Pete Maravich (sp) getting his father Press an assistant's job at LSU to seal his LOI. Not a peep from the media. Nor the NCAA.

Reaction Score
While I don't think it's a good idea, college BB has a long history of doing this sort of thing. I can remember Pistol Pete Maravich (sp) getting his father Press an assistant's job at LSU to seal his LOI. Not a peep from the media. Nor the NCAA.

Press was the head coach at LSU and lobbied the LSU administration to allow him to recruit more talent to complement his immensely talented son. As it was, they were never able to supplant Kentucky atop the SEC in an era when only one team per conference was invited to the Big Dance.

You are right, nary a peep from anyone. It is a cutthroat world out there. The only problems I have with recruiting practices are when blatant falsehoods are perpetrated, and when academic integrity is compromised.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think it's also useful to put year's next to these actions. There often wasn't a big peep because the NCAA (aka college prez, ADs and coaches) didn't care enough to create a rule against it or weren't powerful enough. Also, there wan't the blanket coverage so the peeps didn't get out to the general public.

Should the NCAA make a rule about this, and if so, what would it look like?

Reaction Score
I don't see how a rule can be enforced. It could be argued that Reynolds was recruited by both Louisville & Tenn. as an inducement to Russell. I don't have evidence of that but did any other top program that wasn't bidding for Russell offer her? Trying to decide why a school offers any player involves too much subjectivity. There are "holier-than thou" programs and fanbases that see evil everywhere but in their own backyard and always think the worst of other programs but unless someone was in the room with the Louisville coaches and heard them say it all this speculation is just that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't see how a rule can be enforced. It could be argued that Reynolds was recruited by both Louisville & Tenn. as an inducement to Russell. I don't have evidence of that but did any other top program that wasn't bidding for Russell offer her? Trying to decide why a school offers any player involves too much subjectivity. There are "holier-than thou" programs and fanbases that see evil everywhere but in their own backyard and always think the worst of other programs but unless someone was in the room with the Louisville coaches and heard them say it all this speculation is just that.
The rule is rather easy. A player may not play for a school where his parent is on the athletic department staff.

Reaction Score
The rule is rather easy. A player may not play for a school where his parent is on the athletic department staff.
Where his parent is not already on the athletic department staff? Imagine if Geno had a daughter like Breanna and she was forbidden from playing for the best team in the country because she had the misfortune to have the coach as her father.

Reaction Score
Also would've kept Kim Mulkey's daughter from playing for Baylor. Or Erica McCall from considering Bakersfield.

Reaction Score

does Kim Mulkey have a daughter playing for her ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom