More Ashlyn Shade now? | The Boneyard

More Ashlyn Shade now?

Reaction Score
I like Ashlyn’s overall game, she is a good shooter and defender, and she plays smart. At 6 feet, she can get rebounds. With Azzi now out for the season, I would love Ashlyn to get more minutes. If someone with more size is required, then Q can fill the void. We still would have Caroline and Aubrey, but I was assuming they would still be platooning.

Reaction Score
Ashlyn is still a Freshman. She isn't going to replace Azzi. Geno should continue to use her off the bench for brief periods of time (4-6 minute intervals) same thing goes for Caroline, KK and Q. AE, Nika, Aubrey and Paige are going to log a lot of minutes going forward.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it's gonna be a team thing. Not just Ashlyn, but also Q as well as KK. None of them are known for shooting as well as Azzi, but all will pick up much of the minutes she would have gotten (as will Caroline and Nika).

I continue to be shocked that Geno talks about Caroline being lights out in practices (one report he said she was 9-10 from 3 I think), but in games she's not even close more often than not. I thought she moved well and looked decent against Minnesota even tho she barely scored, but more will be needed from her as well.

As for Nika, anyone who thinks she's NOT a good shooter isn't paying attention. She's simply a reluctant shooter (altho she had 11 vs. Minny on 5-9 shooting). That will need to change as well. IMHO. For the season she's 40% on 3s' and 52% overall. Geno knows best, but you know, he's not on the board chatting! LOL

Reaction Score
Ashlyn is still a Freshman. She isn't going to replace Azzi. Geno should continue to use her off the bench for brief periods of time (4-6 minute intervals) same thing goes for Caroline, KK and Q. AE, Nika, Aubrey and Paige are going to log a lot of minutes going forward.
Ash has the right stuff to fit into Azzi's position. Let's face it, Azzi has not had many months where she was "perfectly healthy". She's had some lousy games and nobody seems to want to say it like it is. Now she's facing surgery and a year of rehab. Coming back better than before??? No way, Jose'.

Reaction Score
I like Ashlyn’s overall game, she is a good shooter and defender, and she plays smart. At 6 feet, she can get rebounds. With Azzi now out for the season, I would love Ashlyn to get more minutes. If someone with more size is required, then Q can fill the void. We still would have Caroline and Aubrey, but I was assuming they would still be platooning.
Um, I don’t think she is even close to 6 feet. I do hope she can see more playing time as I think she has already shown herself to be well prepared for it. This team is going to need all hands on deck if they are to have any chance at #12!

Reaction Score
Ash has the right stuff to fit into Azzi's position. Let's face it, Azzi has not had many months where she was "perfectly healthy". She's had some lousy games and nobody seems to want to say it like it is. Now she's facing surgery and a year of rehab. Coming back better than before??? No way, Jose'.
While I agree it looks bad, there have been many cases of players going through very bad injury streaks and then playing for years injury free. I’m not saying that will be the case here but “hope springs eternal.“

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Impeccable timing. Why don’t you go up to Storrs and give her a piece of your mind? She feels so awful right now, she might not notice

Reaction Score
Paige and Caroline were “still” freshman two years ago too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At 6 feet, she can get rebounds.
I don’t think she is even close to 6 feet.
I’ve seen her listed as either 5’9” or 5’10”. Watching video of her in games she doesn’t look close to 6’.

On the other hand, she is a leaper and a good rebounder because she focuses on boxing out. And, by the way, it’s worth noting that KK often jumped in the opening tip in HS and she is also a good rebounder.

Reaction Score
Yikes. Seriously. How would you like to read this...especially, now? This is the last thing she and her family need.

Reaction Score
Whoa. I think I will be taking a pause for a few days after reading this take.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ash is listed on the UConn official roster as 5'10" while Azzi is listed at 5'11".

Reaction Score
Um, I don’t think she is even close to 6 feet. I do hope she can see more playing time as I think she has already shown herself to be well prepared for it. This team is going to need all hands on deck if they are to have any chance at #12!
Oops, wasn't sure and guessed, on roster she is listed as 5'10. But I'm as gung ho about her as before. She has the pull up jumper which is tough to defend and can get into lane to shoot it.

Reaction Score
Paige and Caroline were “still” freshman two years ago too.
They (Paige/Caroline) both started early in their Freshman season. That has not been the case for Ashlyn, nor was it ever a real possibility given the upper classman on the roster. With the injury bug striking again Geno will need to step up her minutes on a nightly basis and hopefully she can contribute night in and night out She doesn't need to be Azzi, she just needs to be the best Ashlyn.

Reaction Score
I think we’ll see a few things. Right now, Paige and Nika will be the backcourt, and I expect to see Paige spend some more time off the ball. Shade and Arnold will rotate off the bench. Caroline and Q will share minutes at the 3. And Aubrey, Aaliyah and Ice will be the post rotation. When Patterson gets back we’ll have more of an option to go big with Aaliyah and Ice at once.

There’s a ton of talent remaining, and essentially a full season to figure it out. I haven’t lost hope yet.

Reaction Score
You may have set the new low for posts on this site

Reaction Score
Brutal. I’m all for criticism deserved but? Anyway others have singled her out for injuries and inconsistencies so why couldn’t she come back better than before since the bar she set is so low??

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Ash is a second coming of my friend Mel Thomas. She hustles throughout the court when she is on it. And she can nail her shots. I like this young lady. Actually, I am a fan of all three kids. Wish that Jana was playing too.
Mel was the Energizer bunny. I haven't seen Ashlynn use her body clean the floor like Mel did, but the season is young.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More will be asked of Shade and K.K.. They can't let Bueckers get beat up on the floor and will need to rest her smartly in games.

Another thing that would help would to get Caroline going. She came in the reputation of being a very good 3 point shooter, and when Paige was out, she picked up some of the slack. She can also cause some havoc in the passing lanes at times. Brady's development can also possible offset some of the loss of Fudd.

Reaction Score
My thoughts go a little bit further about this issue. It's devastating news for Azzi and I can only imagine how bad Azzi must feel and I was heartbroken for Azzi, that she can't get a break. But, I also feel very bad for Azzi's parents, who I believe are the most dedicated parents on the team. Watching her parents on TV during the games proves to me how into the game they are. Her Mom always crosses her fingers when Azzi is at the foul line. They might be more devastated than Azzi. Be happy that we had Azzi for what ever time she gave Uconn with hr limited play and look forward to the futue and cheer like crazy for our team. As in " win one for the Gipper", let's "win one for Azzi".The Huskies still has a contending team and can go all the way. GET WELL AZZI!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom