More ACC issues...now Virginia | Page 7 | The Boneyard

More ACC issues...now Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
BC has won a National Championship in Major College Football, albeit of course it was a long time ago ( and we need not get into who has won National Championships in Football, and who hasn't as its essentially an irrelevant sidebar to the thread topic anyway ).
The only body that recognizes BC winning a football championship is BC. AP (the accepted group that selected the champions at that time) voted Minnesota as champions in 1940 while the Helms foundation (a lesser body that schools who did receive their backing have overstated) selected Stanford that season. BC claims they won it as well but there is zero corroborating evidence.

Reaction Score
The only body that recognizes BC winning a football championship is BC. AP (the accepted group that selected the champions at that time) voted Minnesota as champions in 1940 while the Helms foundation (a lesser body that schools who did receive their backing have overstated) selected Stanford that season. BC claims they won it as well but there is zero corroborating evidence.
It was so long ago, that I don't really care. BC went undefeated at 11-0, and beat Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. The system to select the National Champion was more flawed then than even the one before our current playoffs. This was afterall, before the birth of TV. As such, most of the voters... in the newspaper business... no coaches... never even saw BC play at all that season, including the Sugar Bowl game ( To a lesser extent, we could say the same with Minnesota of the BIG 10 that season too ) I will say BC shares that National Championship Title with Minnesota. If the Newspaper writers that are all dead now that gave it to Minnesota for history sake want to keep in all with Minnesota in the casket with them, then I'll let them R.I.P. with their vote as an act of respect for the long gone deceased.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was so long ago, that I don't really care. BC went undefeated at 11-0, and beat Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. The system to select the National Champion was more flawed then than even the one before our current playoffs. This was afterall, before the birth of TV. As such, most of the voters... in the newspaper business... no coaches... never even saw BC play at all that season, including the Sugar Bowl game ( To a lesser extent, we could say the same with Minnesota of the BIG 10 that season too ) I will say BC shares that National Championship Title with Minnesota. If the Newspaper writers that are all dead now that gave it to Minnesota for history sake want to keep in all with Minnesota in the casket with them, then I'll let them R.I.P. with their vote as an act of respect for the long gone deceased.

Yawkey, while I respect your passion for BC, this just highlights that your passion has blinded you. Only BC states that it won a national football championship in 1940 because it went undefeated. That would be akin to my old high school from CT saying it was the best HS football team in the country back in '93 because it went undefeated. In reality, they were ranked #25 or something by USA Today and would likely get mauled by a good team from Jersey, Texas or Florida. Same with conference realignment, BC admits to using its weight (solo or in an alliance with others) to block UConn from joining the ACC twice. Its been written about and torn apart here and elsewhere; but, it is a fact.

By the way, the national press has access to the radio, telegraph, and the train back in 1940. So, the voters could watch and trade notes on games just as they can today, though less high-tech.

Reaction Score

Well played.

And spot on about BC's football "championship."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member