Mora's Transfer Portal Options | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Mora's Transfer Portal Options

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be clear, I have no idea how good he is or may be and thus don't have an opinion. My point was only that Wisky had an opinion based on having seen him play in college. His opinion may prove to be right or wrong, but I don't understand how anyone who hasn't seen him play thinks he is in a position to disagree with him.

It feels like several people here are irrationally in love with Tyler P, maybe because he is a local kid. Really, we should all want someone who can beat him out.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
A very limited body of work on Downing.

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.52.56 AM.png

Reaction Score
It feels like several people here are irrationally in love with Tyler P, maybe because he is a local kid. Really, we should all want someone who can beat him out.
Shouldn’t we feel that way about every player on roster? Love them unconditionally while always looking for competition to bring out best of them all?

Reaction Score
Zeno committed to UAB yesterday
DeVito committed to Illinois.
Yup… Rosebud asked were any of the “higher end” QBs in the Transfer Portal following any of the UConn staff back (mutual twitter interest). I took a quick look.

Clearly they haven’t landed anyone yet… but some of the targets at least appear to be listening (that and $3.09 gets ya extra lg coffee @ Dunkin).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
On Tyler P, I have some irrational enthusiasm for the kid, but mine is tempered with the reality that he might be injury prone- so let’s load up on some other dudes. I’m sort of thinking Tyler Phommachanh won’t be himself again until 2023… but we shall see.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yup… Rosebud asked were any of the “higher end” QBs in the Transfer Portal following any of the UConn staff back (mutual twitter interest). I took a quick look.

Clearly they haven’t landed anyone yet… but some of the targets at least appear to be listening (that and $3.09 gets ya extra lg coffee @ Dunkin).
It’s got us nothing so far, but at least this new staff gets follow backs. The prior staff struggled to get anyone to listen.

Reaction Score
Tyler did mediocre against with a 45% completion rate starting after being prepared against an FCS team and Army and he is the next coming for UConn football. The 4 start recruit got suddenly thrown midway into a game against the number 3 team in the country/one of the top defenses and didn't kill it in his 2.5 quarters or unprepared action and he could never make it here. It is certainly an odd take some people have.

Reaction Score
I trust this staff to pick the players they believe will work best in their system. I hope the kid comes here and lights it up. But the idea that a 4 star backup at PSU is, by definition, better than what we have needs to be proven.

Your argument is flawed on several levels. The PSU kid passed at a 39% rate. And you do realize army’s D was ranked higher than Iowa?

FWIW, 3 teams we played had better Ds than Iowa.

Reaction Score
I trust this staff to pick the players they believe will work best in their system. I hope the kid comes here and lights it up. But the idea that a 4 star backup at PSU is, by definition, better than what we have needs to be proven.

Your argument is flawed on several levels. The PSU kid passed at a 39% rate. And you do realize army’s D was ranked higher than Iowa?

I’m admittedly too lazy to look up who those three teams are, but I would have to assume their opponents and SOS is vastly different than iowas so simply comparing defensive rankings don’t always tell the real story

Reaction Score

I did not realize that Army's defense was better than Iowa because it wasn't, and its not even close. Iowa has the 15th rank scoring defense in the country and they played an exponentially more difficult schedule. Wake forest put up 70 on Army. It is also safe to assume that a backup at any p5 school, never mind a powerhouse like Penn State is probably better than the QBs we normally have and it appears that Jim Mora and Co agree as they jumped right on the kid and offered him immediately.

Reaction Score
I’m admittedly too lazy to look up who those three teams are, but I would have to assume their opponents and SOS is vastly different than iowas so simply comparing defensive rankings don’t always tell the real story
Even without taking into account SOS Iowa had a better defense. 15 points per game vs 23 for Army. When factoring SOS it's not even in the same Universe.

Reaction Score
Yes, because Iowa plays a brutal schedule. The big 10 west is terrible w/o a single team having a good O.

Again, I hope the kid comes and is great here. But I’m not drooling over how many stars a fat guy gave him 3 years ago watching a game in the oranges. And I’m not going to give him a pass because he struggled when needed.

Reaction Score
I'm wrapping my head around how anyone can think bringing this kid wouldn't be a slam dunk for Mora and the UConn program going forward? I remember watching that Iowa game and thinking what a tough, tough position for this kid to be put in.

Look at how he handled the aftermath. Character, class, poise. Combine that with the fact he is more skilled than anyone on the squad at quarterback, I hope you decides to come here.

Hard to find a more standup guy than what he showed in that interview. Didn't hesitate to respond positively to some tough questions and we just might be a great school for him to grow with.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I'm not one of them. He showed some potential, and certainly excitement, but I am not convinced by the cameo we saw.

My only point was that I don't get arguing with someone who has seen a player play if you haven't seen a player play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will say, I'm fully in the TylerP is the starter moving forward corner. The offense was just actually an offense with him under center. Yes he had a sub 50% completion rating, but he was running extending plays and making off balance throws. All of this is correctable with coaching both mechanics and the line. That being said if we bring in someone that can run the offense better than Tyler then he absolutely should get the nod.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be clear, I'm not one of him. He showed some potential, and certainly excitement, but I am not convinced by the cameo we saw.

My only point was that I don't get arguing with someone who he seen a player play if you haven't seen a player play.
I had guessed as much. I think the people arguing would complain even if it was Nix from Auburn. They want Tyler P as if he is their own son or something, what the kid from Penn State did or can do seems to be fairly irrelevant to them.

Reaction Score
Yeah, following the coaches is harder to track. I'm not at Twitter savvy as some others so I'm not sure how to easily tell if any of those QBs are following the coaches back. (The coaches follow fewer people and I'm more in tune with where their new follows pop up on the list.) But I do believe that Mora and Charlton are casting a wide net on this.
100 percent agree but if we knew if player was that would show mutual interest

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If posts 255 and 256 do not sum up this whole recruiting thing, I do not know what does.
C0FA70B5-0799-4777-94C9-5236B4072D3B.jpeg

Lol, I was thinking the same thing only post number 254 and post number 256.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom