Mora is right | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mora is right

Reaction Score
NIL money can't come from the school
Technically, it can’t. But in the Bleeding Blue category (service/charity/appearances), the program decides what players are involved. It is not some free-for-all. It is an articulated strategic plan. Unless it is a ridiculous pot that can provide for all, your bag is earned based upon talent and/or performance. I guess a specific entity could request a specific player (even a benchwarmer), but the HC has say. I have heard of small southern towns putting together this type of support for their hometown kids for a specific school.

Reaction Score

Just f’g stupid. We bemoan the fact that we’ve lost nearly every skill player in last 12 months, we’re playing qb2, rb4 and a few smurfs at wr and then we say, get aeay from pedestrian O. Losing makes fans crazy, I get it, but the dissonance from this place is insufferable.

The simple fact is that this program and its stakeholders are not committed and absolutely not unified in committing to p4/5 football. Never will be. It’s insane, but factual.

Reaction Score
Jim is right but it’s also not the full picture. For YEARS, G5 teams have succeeded while we have failed. Teams like Buffalo, Boise, Miami OH, have all put together winning teams that play good football. They’re cold region schools in mid tier conferences with less money and name recognition than us but they WIN. It’s not completely about the money it’s about incompetence in the locker room and a culture of accepting losing. And at the end of the day, that’s on Mora, Dave, and the staff.

Recruit better, coach better, care more, and we can win.
To blame the situation on Mora and AD Dave is just ridiculous, but you always try to get your cheap shots in.

Reaction Score
To blame the situation on Mora and AD Dave is just ridiculous, but you always try to get your cheap shots in.
Are wins and losses not a product of the coaching and athletic department?

Nothing he said was a cheap shot. It's just reality. They're the ones responsible for the results on the field. I think Dave has had to make some really tough decisions and they all haven't worked out, but he seems to work hard and has the best intentions. That doesn't change the fact that football has mostly failed under him. I don't think it's all his fault but it is his responsibility

Reaction Score
We bemoan the fact that we’ve lost nearly every skill player in last 12 months, we’re playing qb2, rb4 and a few smurfs at wr and then we say, get aeay from pedestrian O.
Exactly... you just proved the point. These portal guys who bailed on Mora and Charlton weren't stupid. Why would any RB with speed or decent WR want to play in Charlton's ridiculous "rugby scrum" offense when it was obvious to anyone with a brain that passing the ball down field and spreading it out, was not in has game plan. Even after Zion Turner ( who he didn't trust to pass) was benched and put 3rd on the 2-deep.

Reaction Score
Technically, it can’t. But in the Bleeding Blue category (service/charity/appearances), the program decides what players are involved. It is not some free-for-all. It is an articulated strategic plan. Unless it is a ridiculous pot that can provide for all, your bag is earned based upon talent and/or performance. I guess a specific entity could request a specific player (even a benchwarmer), but the HC has say. I have heard of small southern towns putting together this type of support for their hometown kids for a specific school.
right but it can't come from ticket sales and state funding.

Reality is it will take private interests, individual or corporate.

Reaction Score
Are wins and losses not a product of the coaching and athletic department?

Nothing he said was a cheap shot. It's just reality. They're the ones responsible for the results on the field. I think Dave has had to make some really tough decisions and they all haven't worked out, but he seems to work hard and has the best intentions. That doesn't change the fact that football has mostly failed under him. I don't think it's all his fault but it is his responsibility
I agree with this, just that while its his responsibility, my question is what else is he supposed to do. Big 12? We were in a great spot until the P12 imploded. Rutgers offered Diaco HC so he extended him. Donors pushed for Edsall. Mora anchored the program to Charlton. Not much he can do.
-

Reaction Score
It's a narcissistic take to think that people's opinions shouldn't be gatekept by how much money they have or choose to spend on a football program? Really? GoFY
You took it to yourself, yes. Once you realize he isn't talking about you, unless you're sitting on a million dollars, it is obvious.

Reaction Score
Stop boneyard beeoching. You wanna help? Then create a boneyard collective. I’ll donate $500. Let’s get another 49 folks to commit and pick a position for $20k. Average P5 player is getting 3k a year for NIL.
Ok so for a senior, who remembers that a UConn bb player scammed people, if I want to donate $500+ for FB NIL I do it on:

Bleedingblueforgood.org. ?

Have to wait for Jan 1 because of tax reasons.

Ps. Not sure why one of the mods or one of the really respected posters don’t post:

“If you got it and can spare it the time is now for UConn FB”. Clock is ticking.

Maybe that’s inappropriate, but it is now or never for the next 5 years horizon.

Pss. Giddyup $500 x 50 = $25k ( not $20k)

Last edited:

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Stop boneyard beeoching. You wanna help? Then create a boneyard collective. I’ll donate $500. Let’s get another 49 folks to commit and pick a position for $20k. Average P5 player is getting 3k a year for NIL.
In for $500

Reaction Score
You took it to yourself, yes. Once you realize he isn't talking about you, unless you're sitting on a million dollars, it is obvious.
Oh yeah I'm sure he's only talking about millionaires. Give me a break.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
It appears that NIL payments for our program is distasteful for many of this board’s avid football supporters. Likely generational as well (most of us middle-agers & above seem to be at best holding our noses - and we’re the ones with the $). What does this say about support for football in this new age? Rubber is hitting the road.

Bleeding Blue for Good is not a secret. It has not been for all of ‘23.

If you want to see winning UConn sports, hold your nose and give something.

Communication and an articulated plan from the coach and athletic department would help. Not a haranguing from the coach from the podium when he’s 2-9 and his team is disheveled to put it kindly. He can go to charm school after UMass, cuz yeah, he’s got a game to coach - and coach better than he has. And a loss Saturday will be a giant nick in the kutz for hope.
I am middle age. I hate NIL. However, I am $1k deep into BBFG. Have to get with the times or die.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
It takes the average person in Connecticut 20-25 years to make one years worth of Jim Moras salary. Maybe he can step up too?
No. He earns his money. In fact, we need to give our head football coach more money. If we take from him we cannibalize the system

temery

What?
Reaction Score

We've got something in the works. I'm talking with them early next week.

Worth noting: we tried to collect money for them in April and the response was underwhelming. Something like $4k, and $1k of that was mine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Total crap. There have been 18 semifinal games in the CFP era. There have been only 5 games decided by 10 points or less (two last year), 7 by 11 to 21 points, and 6 by >21 points. The Cincinnati game was decided by 21 points which is in the mid range of CFP playoff games.

Do you remember these games?
Oregon 59, FSU 20
Alabama 30, Michigan St. 0
Alabama 24, Washington 7
Clemson 31, Ohio St. 0
Clemson 30, Notre Dame 3
Alabama 24, Clemson 6
LSU 62, Oklahoma 28
Georgia 34, Michigan 11

Only 3 teams that year held Alabama to fewer points than Cincinnati (27):
Auburn 24
LSU 20
Georgia 18 (Championship game)

Alabama scored more points against:
Miami 44
Florida 31
Ole Miss. 42
Texas A&M. 38
Miss. St. 49
Tennessee. 52
Arkansas. 42
Georgia. 41

Cincinnati clearly belonged as they had 9 players drafted in that year's NFL draft, which was 3rd most of any school.

Propaganda...when you fail ro address Cincinnati's woeful offensive performance against Alabama...6 freekin' points.

6-7 Florida put up 29...6-7 Auburn put up 22...non IA Mercer put up 14

Cincinnati's offense turned to mush against Bama....

How many teams scored fewer points than Cincinnati against Bama ? Let's list them...

2-10 New Mexico State..scored 3 less than the Bearcats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mora says we need 1.5 Mill to compete. Very commendable donation on your part. I wish I had that kind of expendable ching to do the same. I make seat donations but that is my financial limit.
In for $500
Ditto above. ;) Thank you for supporting the team.

Reaction Score

Worth noting: we tried to collect money for them in April and the response was underwhelming. Something like $4k, and $1k of that was mine.

You go man!
IMG_3106.gif

Reaction Score
Kudos to folks stepping up on NIL (and everyone still paying full freight + PSL for tickets). It’ll help keep someone like Joly.

Reaction Score

I think the issue is much more front and center, and I’d like to see this group make a small contribution to a big problem. Like I said, I’m good for $500. Couple of others have said they would put in $500.

Reaction Score
I don’t think UConn has a booster club.
Well, based on the upcoming meetings in NYC I'm hearing about, led by a deep pocketed UConn "booster", that's about to change. But Texas A&M just paid a coach $75 million not to. They also pledged $300,000 to get a New England area HS QB to commit. If Mora said we only need $1.5M to compete, he's kidding himself. The oldest adage in business is you get what you pay for.

Reaction Score
Curious as to how the JMU coach beat the crap out of us with less talent according to every site there is, not even having full scholarships, and on top of that, being paid over a million dollars less. Seems like an excuse, well not seems, it is a crappy excuse for not being able to run a team now.

Reaction Score
Collectives are indeed the way that schools are going...

It seems it could be difficult to energize two collective bases...Duke is doing well with basketball NIL but not so much with football...FSU, just the opposire.

Maybe that is the way it will be...a clearer separation of football versus basketball centric programs.

Sponsors of bowl games will build in NIL opportunities for participating athletes to use NIL (see Duke's Mayonnaise Bowl NIL)...The NCAA BB Tournament would be a good place for advertisers to use participating athletes for NIL advertising.

You can see the specialization by sport by just glancing at one football school's collective...it is all about football there...

or scroll on by...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly... you just proved the point. These portal guys who bailed on Mora and Charlton weren't stupid. Why would any RB with speed or decent WR want to play in Charlton's ridiculous "rugby scrum" offense when it was obvious to anyone with a brain that passing the ball down field and spreading it out, was not in has game plan. Even after Zion Turner ( who he didn't trust to pass) was benched and put 3rd on the 2-deep.
They all leveraged what they did here to make money or more money and whether you like it or not or agree with it or not a lot of those chunk plays by the RBs or Turner's career year at slot are on tape and under Charlton's offense. And I'm not a big fan of Charlton. The two RBs this year left early and redshirted simply to maximize their monetary benefit.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Winning solves a lot of problems, losing doesn't help

Nobody is expecting a National Title, we just want a competitive program.

I'm a Mora guy, I loved what he did last year, I was so looking forward to this year... but

Anyhow, win games next year and everything around the program will improve. Go 3-9, fugetaboutit. There's too much competition for our time and for our money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom