Mora Introductory Press Conference- Saturday November 27th 10:30am Rentschler Field Club Level | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mora Introductory Press Conference- Saturday November 27th 10:30am Rentschler Field Club Level

Reaction Score
Why as a longtime season ticket holder and donor do I need to pay for access to this? I already have seats to the game. I don’t need to pay $30/pp to go to this in the middle of tailgating and have access to seats I won’t use.
You want to get people excited, hold this outside at the site of Husky Walk so that ALL have access and Coach Mora can experience what that is like.
And yes, I’ve already called the ticket office to express this same sentiment and my disappointment in these arrangements.
Totally agree with this. Thanks for calling them. I was too lazy to call. I've had chairbacks since the beginning and kept them thru all these years when the product just wasn't good. And I will renew again.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, the special Club seats once downloaded are "ineligible" for transfer which will require the ticketholder and his/her guests to enter together

Reaction Score
Mehh, would be happy to meet Coach Mora, watch his presser and watch the game from club seats (especially on a cold & probably windy November day), but not for an extra $30 when I already have a ticket and I've been sitting in empty bleachers for years enduring absolutely pitiful football from this program. I've already paid my dues. Come on UConn!! :confused:

For those that are going, let these guys know what we've been through the last 10 years and have still stuck by the program.

Reaction Score
I just hope that he'll announce some of his coaches today. Would love to see him introduce Marinelli and Morehead at the conference... :)

I'm having a great feeling about Coach Mora, as I think he'll lead us to the Promiseland... (Bowl and a P5 conference).

When's the first home game in 2022? I might go and cheer on the team. I feel good...

Reaction Score
Hopefully there will be a replay which works. This live feed is useless.

edit: I've given up on the live feed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hopefully there will be a replay which works. This live feed is useless.

edit: I've given up on the live feed.
Worked fine for me.

A few thoughts:

Mora is a really really good public speaker. He speaks off the top of his head, yet every answer seems as if it has been thoroughly prepared. That’s very hard to do well and he made it seem easy.

Mora said that as soon as the UConn job became available, he wanted it. He spoke about the UConn brand being a national brand, the amazing quality of facilities, the tradition of excellence, both on the field and academically, and the depth of fan support. He came across as being very sincere, I believe him, but he is a skilled speaker and difficult to read.

His answer as to why he reached out to high school coaches was excellent, and I suspect there will be video of it available soon. In essence he said that he believes there is wisdom at every level of coaching, so he wants to have a dialogue with the high school coaches. He also talked about how he’s invited them to practices and staff meetings so that they are knowledgeable about the school and the program sufficiently that when they have a college level player they will be comfortable sending them to UConn. It was a very smart answer.

My favorite part of the press conference was when he talked about how he “likes going uphill.“ He said that “hard things are hard“ and that makes them worthwhile. He recognizes that the Connecticut job will be hard, but that in and of itself is part of the attraction.

As the old saying goes the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the proof of Jim Mora will be winning seasons, but he is an extraordinarily good hire in my opinion. Everything he has done so far, and it’s been a lot, has been thoughtful and intelligent. He’s hit the ground running before his first official day. He doesn’t seem like a guy to whom “good enough will be good enough.“ Time will tell, but I think Benedict hit the ball out of the park with this hire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, that for me was his interview. Hadn't heard him speak before this morning. Two thumbs up. Exceptionally articulate, humble, very sharp, and I like his lifestyle choices. I certainly see how he got the job.

As I said before, three times bitten, fourth time shy. So I am still somewhat wary. But if pushed, I would have to admit that I am pretty much all in at this point. With most people in the professional world, it doesn't take long to establish fit. This is a good fit.

Reaction Score
... Time will tell, but I think Benedict hit the ball out of the park with this hire.
Very good summary CL82! He really appears to be a homerun hire! Everything about him seems like a great fit for UConn and the job that lies ahead. His sincerity and heartfelt desire to succeed is evident in every interview so far! Love the hire! Can't wait for him to assume full leadership of our program!

Reaction Score

-> In addition to Parker Executive Search, Benedict utilized Coaches by the Numbers, an analytics platform that offers objective evaluations. Benedict talked to a large group of candidates that included coordinators, former head coaches, present head coaches, and NFL coaches, mostly in virtual interviews. In early November, he traveled to Idaho to spend several days with Mora, and that clinched it. While out there, Benedict waited as Mora finished a letter of recommendation for a former player who had applied to law school, and saw a large journal of coaching decisions Mora had kept, analyzing the ones that didn’t work and why. <-

-> “I can promise you this, I’m more impatient than anybody,” Mora said. “In Atlanta and UCLA, we were able to turn it pretty quickly because I’m not a guy that compromises a whole lot. I don’t concede. I’m not going to look at our schedule next year and say, ‘we’re not going to win this game, we’re not going to win that game.’” <-

Reaction Score

-> Mora plans to be active, but smart in the transfer portal. They’ve already offered some JUCO prospects.

“I would equate it to my years in the NFL where you built through the draft and you supplemented through free agency,” Mora said. “In college, you build through recruiting and you supplement through the transfer portal. I certainly think there’s value in it as long as you do a really good job of vetting the players, not only from a skill standpoint but a personality standpoint.

“We don’t want to become a team of mercenaries. You’re trying to build, develop, maintain a culture. It’s a little easier doing that when you’re recruiting players that you get to know over the course of years and their families over the course of years rather than just a weekend with a transfer guy.”

He’ll meet with the team collectively Sunday morning.

“Some (players) have asked me some tough questions,” he said. “‘What’s my future here? What are we going to do? Who are the coaches going to be?’ As honest I can be with them, I am, but there’s certain things I’m not able to talk to them about yet. Those conversations will come.” <-

Reaction Score
Very good summary CL82! He really appears to be a homerun hire! Everything about him seems like a great fit for UConn and the job that lies ahead. His sincerity and heartfelt desire to succeed is evident in every interview so far! Love the hire! Can't wait for him to assume full leadership of our program!
I don't think it was a home run hire....

IT WAS A BOTTOM OF THE 9TH 2 OUTS DOWN BY 3 GRAND SLAM HIRE!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom