Montrell Dobbs Won't Meet UConn Qualifying Standards | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Montrell Dobbs Won't Meet UConn Qualifying Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I'm confused. How do we keep someone in the fold if we're not able to get him admitted to our school?

True: Dez now reporting that Dobbs will not qualify at all for UConn.

Rotten situation for all parties involved...

Reaction Score
I'm confused. How do we keep someone in the fold if we're not able to get him admitted to our school?
I'm interpreting "keeping him in the fold" as convincing Dobbs to pass up on enrolling at Marshall this January, and staying at Milford for his Spring semester, to do whatever that needs to be done academically to qualify at UConn, then enroll at UConn this summer. Worse case, he doesn';t qualify, and goes to Marshall this summer. Best case he gets into his "dream school". That is how I interpreted his post, but could be wrong.

Bigger question for me is how far off is he from qualifying? Is it a few points on his GPA which he could improve enough in one extra semester to qualify, or is it so far off the mark that an extra semester is not going to make the difference.

Reaction Score
Dez reporting it's NCAA standards he's not meeting.

That would obviously mean no Marshall either.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dez reporting it's NCAA standards he's not meeting. No Marshall either.

really? thats a game changer. i thought it was that he was going to half qualify and uconn doesn't do that while others do. so potentially he can stay at milford for another semester if needed to get his grades up or do the CC thing.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts...

1) If it's NCAA standards he can't qualify any where.
2) In my opinion, NCAA standards are so low... if a kid gets an extra prep year, there really should be no issues, if, IF your head is in the right place.
3) I think the fact that CTFOOTBALL12, or whatever his handle is, has not chimed in yet, speaks VOLUMES.
4) Silver Lining? Better now then later. What if he did enroll and then right before he was to play, we are told he can't because of academics. If he can't cut it at Ansonia and Milford Academy, he won't be able to cut it in college.
5) This is a sad story...

Reaction Score
I'm assuming this couldn't possibly be a total shock to P and his staff. So the obvious next question is what is our backup plan to get a TB in this year's class?

Reaction Score
Dez reporting it's NCAA standards he's not meeting.

That would obviously mean no Marshall either.

To qualify one needs a 2.0 GPA and a 1010 SAT or a 2.5 GPA and an 820 SAT. I believe a 2.75 GPA gets you in with a 700 SAT.

Reaction Score
First of all we know that schools take athletes that don't meet the same criteria as a typical student. Of ocurse they also take artists and others with special skills too. Friend of ours who was a very good musician, had written a number of classical pieces, went to Brown. He didn't have either the grades or the SAT scores but he was a remarkable musician so they made an excpetion. Another one went ot UCONN because she played an instrument they needed for the University's orchestra and she played it and played well. And who can forget Nate Miles...But if a kid is going to Marshall it is likely he is not qualifying anywhere else. As epark said, Marshall is a saftey school for West Virginia...not exactly going to be confused with Princeton any time soon.

Reaction Score
I am little frustrated that the guy that constantly pimped him out to the board along with the rest of the CT kids at milford academy has not said a word yet. The kid had to be doing poorly all along to not reach NCAA minimum to qualify. However, we were still being preached to all along about him as well as others

Reaction Score
I'm interpreting "keeping him in the fold" as convincing Dobbs to pass up on enrolling at Marshall this January, and staying at Milford for his Spring semester, to do whatever that needs to be done academically to qualify at UConn, then enroll at UConn this summer. Worse case, he doesn';t qualify, and goes to Marshall this summer. Best case he gets into his "dream school". That is how I interpreted his post, but could be wrong.

Bigger question for me is how far off is he from qualifying? Is it a few points on his GPA which he could improve enough in one extra semester to qualify, or is it so far off the mark that an extra semester is not going to make the difference.
I'm not sure Milford offers a spring semester. They didn't when they were in Milford. It was just fall semester, get your grades up and enter college.

Reaction Score
I am little frustrated that the guy that constantly pimped him out to the board along with the rest of the CT kids at milford academy has not said a word yet. The kid had to be doing poorly all along to not reach NCAA minimum to qualify. However, we were still being preached to all along about him as well as others

Get over it. He said he views himself as a mentor to Dobbs. I doubt he's taking it real well, either, and I can't imagine Dobbs is happy that his dream has seemingly fallen through. He's got no obligation to come on here and speak until he's ready, and I can't say I would be for awhile.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
It would be a cruel hoax for any university to admit someone who would be a complete misfit with no possibility for academic success. I would hope that the state u is willing to make an exception for talented in state football players who are trying and who can be included. If they are not trying, then obviously, there is not much you can do. But anyone who is trying, and who can be assisted in achieving their goals, should be given a chance if they bring other assets to bear. These assets are not limited to athletics, but also include the arts, music, cultural diversity, legacy, and other assets.

This is how I feel. As a State institution, I think it would serve UConn well to try and help kids who may not be Rhodes scholars, but who try hard. Now, I freely admit that I know nothing of Montrell's efforts in the classroom, but he seems to be a good kid that really wants to be at UConn. If there is no place in the school for a few under qualified kids (who meet other standards though), then we are really going to struggle in this sport. I feel really bad for MD if he has been making efforts, but just isn't all that intelligent. I knew plenty of kids who were not of real high intelligence at Hall High, but that got good grades because they had very strong academic support systems growing up. Not everyone has that.

Reaction Score
This is how I feel. As a State institution, I think it would serve UConn well to try and help kids who may not be Rhodes scholars, but who try hard. Now, I freely admit that I know nothing of Montrell's efforts in the classroom, but he seems to be a good kid that really wants to be at UConn. If there is no place in the school for a few under qualified kids (who meet other standards though), then we are really going to struggle in this sport. I feel really bad for MD if he has been making efforts, but just isn't all that intelligent. I knew plenty of kids who were not of real high intelligence at Hall High, but that got good grades because they had very strong academic support systems growing up. Not everyone has that.

Per Dez, he didn't meet NCAA standards to be admitted to an NCAA school. We can argue how much easier UConn should be on football players who want in until the cows come home, but it is 100% irrelevant to this discussion.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
a couple of you guys need to chill out, conn12 has been a very informative poster here with great ties to locals. do u think he sleeps every night at milford acd the next bunk over from the kid and goes to class with him every day...it stinks but and im mad and i fell bad, but no reason to be getting at 12. he told us about dobbs and sure as all get out he was right. its to bad he couldn't get the school stuff straight, i still have hope he will play somewhere if its not uconn. where ever he does go, he will tear it up. conn12 has other kids he works with as well and some of them are very high on uconn as there major recruiting days are still ahead of them. i for one enjoy everything he brings to the table and will continue to look forward to his posts about the kids. the dobbs story is a bummer, but this is just silly. i am waiting for conn12 to let us know whats up. i have seen 3 different reports(marshall/no school/cc) on the outcome of this so far, one thing i do know is that he will have the right one to report to us.

Reaction Score
a couple of you guys need to chill out, conn12 has been a very informative poster here with great ties to locals. do u think he sleeps every night at milford acd the next bunk over from the kid and goes to class with him every day...it stinks but and im mad and i fell bad, but no reason to be getting at 12. he told us about dobbs and sure as all get out he was right. its to bad he couldn't get the school stuff straight, i still have hope he will play somewhere if its not uconn. where ever he does go, he will tear it up. conn12 has other kids he works with as well and some of them are very high on uconn as there major recruiting days are still ahead of them. i for one enjoy everything he brings to the table and will continue to look forward to his posts about the kids. the dobbs story is a bummer, but this is just silly. i am waiting for conn12 to let us know whats up. i have seen 3 different reports(marshall/no school/cc) on the outcome of this so far, one thing i do know is that he will have the right one to report to us.

Conn12 has shared information with this board, and he has done so fully admitting his biases so that we can judge the credibility of the information for ourselves. There is certainly no reason to be angry at him for this. And I'm sure he feels 100 times worse than any one who is a UConn fan, rather than a Dobbs fan.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Per Dez, he didn't meet NCAA standards to be admitted to an NCAA school. We can argue how much easier UConn should be on football players who want in until the cows come home, but it is 100% irrelevant to this discussion.

Yeah, I posted before I got to that. That changes everything. Nothing the school can do if that is the case. Tough situation all around it seems. I like to see young men get cahnces to succeed, but they have to be able to meet, at least, some criteria.

Reaction Score

I know the guy will probably read this, so, I'm sorry Dez!, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dez just mis-spoke, or simply doesn't know the difference between not qualifying at NCAA and UConn.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I know the guy will probably read this, so, I'm sorry Dez!, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dez just mis-spoke, or simply doesn't know the difference between not qualifying at NCAA and UConn.

I guess we'll find out based on what happens in the coming months. I do know that Marshall will freely admit Prop 48 (or partial qualifiers if that term is no longer accurate).

ETA: I do not believe that UConn should admit partial qualifiers either. If a kid can get through the initial clearinghouse, then take a look at other factors if he doesn't meet certain school-based standards.

Reaction Score

He talked about how good he was at playing football, and that he wanted to play at UConn... which by all accounts he was spot on. He's not the kid's tutor.

Oh well, I feel bad for Dobbs, and us, but Dobbs' path isn't over. He's still young and some solid work could land him back in a BCS conference before his college career is over.

Reaction Score
He talked about how good he was at playing football, and that he wanted to play at UConn... which by all accounts he was spot on. He's not the kid's tutor.

Oh well, I feel bad for Dobbs, and us, but Dobbs' path isn't over. He's still young and some solid work could land him back in a BCS conference before his college career is over.

This. The road to the NCAA is easier through a JUCO than it is to qualify as a freshman. Hopefully, he sticks with it and ends up getting his shot.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
This. The road to the NCAA is easier through a JUCO than it is to qualify as a freshman. Hopefully, he sticks with it and ends up getting his shot.

Agreed. Plenty of guys that had to go to JUCO are now playing in the NFL after ultimately getting into a BCS school. Keep your head up Montrell.

Reaction Score

You are kidding right? Sheesh....

Reaction Score
You are kidding right? Sheesh....

Say whatever you want about print journalism, and the declining nature of its standards, but if you think for a moment that it doesn't still have standards light years above those of Rivals, Scout or internet posters, you are nuts.

Dez isn't perfect. But something he publishes, when he does so, is 100 times more likely to be correct than any other source for the Dobbs story.

Reaction Score
Say whatever you want about print journalism, and the declining nature of its standards, but if you think for a moment that it doesn't still have standards light years above those of Rivals, Scout or internet posters, you are nuts.

Dez isn't perfect. But something he publishes, when he does so, is 100 times more likely to be correct than any other source for the Dobbs story.

Okay, so let's make a bet. I will take Bob L's opinion - that Dobbs will be at Marshall next year, you take Dez's - that Dobbs will be in a community college.

I risk $1, and you risk $100. Deal?

Seriously, maybe its my math background - but your 100 times comment is completely absurd. Almost as absurd as page 2 in this thread when you said we should stop talking to Ansonia football players because of a 3 player sample size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom