Montrell Dobbs Won't Meet UConn Qualifying Standards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Montrell Dobbs Won't Meet UConn Qualifying Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i feel ya, this is the exact kind of recruit that we thought would emerge with the move to 1a. someone local who dreamed of UConn. with all the production at milford and the love in the recruiting sites (ya i guess it shouldnt matter but we all see the stars) and the interest late from other schools, this really blows.

Reaction Score
Was Armstrong having an issue getting into UConn or qualifying generally? I thought it was the latter.

Reaction Score
What a downer. Hopefully this isn't over yet, its too early to give up, its November and we are reacting to a Tweet. Good luck to the kid either way.

Reaction Score
I'm nauseous over the whole thing. Now I know why big programs do what they do. Can't bend though, not for a second. It's disrespectful to the athletes who earned their way onto the squad to consider otherwise. I feel your pain exit16, I really do. Someone please wake me up and tell me this is just a nightmare that will go away. I'm a student (albeit an old one) at UConn now and I have to say that the difficulty of the coursework that is here really is above what I expected. I'm scheduled to graduate in the spring, but it's been a long painful and eye opening road. Grant it, I chose one of the more difficult undergrad programs there are. I've spoken to other students who are transfers and the general consensus is that UConn is no academic puff ball. I like that reputation and I'd hate to see it sullied by allowing Dobbs to get in without meeting the same standards as all the other students. Sounds like a fantastic kid and I wish him all the "luck" that comes with good, hard work.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Casey Cochran has some extra gpa points and completed academic requirements he can spare...are they transferable? :)

Reaction Score
UConn is no academic puff ball. I like that reputation and I'd hate to see it sullied by allowing Dobbs to get in without meeting the same standards as all the other students.

You're kidding right? The day elite athletes have to meet the same standards as everyone else is the day we close down the Rent and start playing basketball games back at the fieldhouse. And please don't worry about your degree being sullied, every school bends their requirements for elite athletes. Look at some of the "students" who have been admitted to Georgetown.

And BTW for those trashing Ansonia, Yale's starting running back is a product of Ansonia High School.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At least we have a new response to the next time someone wants to expand the stadium.

There is no point expanding the stadium if the school is going to play hardball with the football program on admission.

Reaction Score
At least we have a new response to the next time someone wants to expand the stadium.

There is no point expanding the stadium if the school is going to play hardball with the football program on admission.
UConn is an academic institution first and foremost. They should not admit kids they don't feel will succeed academically. Look at the trouble the basketball team has gotten into by not admitting student-athletes with the proper focus on academics. The only tragedy here is that Dobbs has not given academics the needed focus, or that he simply lacks the intellectual aptitude.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This news just stinks. I hope this is something that can change, maybe he can come in the summer.

Reaction Score
This news just sucks. I hope this is something that can change, maybe he can come in the summer.

I agree, he has been at prep school for three months, why do these decisions have to be made now?

Reaction Score
The next person who wastes my time talking about an Ansonia High product going to UConn is getting a pie in the face. Tinney. Kuraczea. Now Dobbs. Enough. Can we only talk about kids coming from high schools that have a chance to get him qualified and remain academically eligible? Ansonia is not such a place.

You should stop by the Yale Bowl on Saturday for your own pie in the face.

A young man from Ansonia will be starting at tailback for a school with just slightly higher academic standards than UConn.

New Haven is a place with academic standards. Storrs is not such a place.

Reaction Score
You have to admit it is a little ridiculous how many kids from Ansonia don't seem to have the grades.

Reaction Score
You have to admit it is a little ridiculous how many kids from Ansonia don't seem to have the grades.

I can recall Ansonia FB players going on to play at Yale (several), Brown, Columbia, Stanford, Trinity, Syracuse, BC and other schools academically superior to UConn.

I think memory tends to be short term around here.

Reaction Score
I can recall Ansonia FB players going on to play at Yale (several), Brown, Columbia, Stanford, Trinity, Syracuse, BC and other schools academically superior to UConn.

Agreed. In addition to Thomas, Steve Coughlin went to Stanford, Luke Richmond was The starting qb here, and there was another TE, I forget his name, who went to BC.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I really do not by into this. If he does well at his pep school this year and takes two or three summer classes at uconn, and is in good standing, this should be a non issue for the fall semester.

I had friends out of highschool that got accepted to Uconn for part time only (grades were not that good), they took 3 clases and passed and the next semster were admitted as full time.

If he can take 3 classes in the summer, and do well, they will acccept his as a full time student

Reaction Score

the idea that Cuse and BC are academically superior to UConn is laughable. you get out of school what you put into it. i seriously considered Cuse until i visited and realized it's practically a third world country. if you moved UConn to Willimantic you'd have Syracuse. i also strongly considered BC until i visited and discovered what a bunch of s 90% of their student body is. half of them actually think they're at Harvard during the week and ND on saturdays to paraphrase RutgersAl.

Reaction Score

It would be a cruel hoax for any university to admit someone who would be a complete misfit with no possibility for academic success. I would hope that the state u is willing to make an exception for talented in state football players who are trying and who can be included. If they are not trying, then obviously, there is not much you can do. But anyone who is trying, and who can be assisted in achieving their goals, should be given a chance if they bring other assets to bear. These assets are not limited to athletics, but also include the arts, music, cultural diversity, legacy, and other assets.

Reaction Score
If the kid doesn't qualify for admission in January 2012 for the spring semester, it doesn't mean he doesn't qualify for admission for the fall semester of 2012.

Either way, we've got a game tomorrow, and Dobbs isn't playing.

Reaction Score
If the news is true, that he's not qualified for admission in two months, then that stinks. All I can say, is that there can't be any more motivation to hit the books harder and longer.

I also cannot see in any way, how having high academic standards might in any way hurt recruiting.

Reaction Score
I congratulate Thomas on his career at Yale. And I went to Trinity with an Ansonia football player, bright young man, who played for Trinity.

Nonetheless, recruiting is a game of using limited resources (coaches time, official visits, budgets, etc.) wisely. If you are repeatedly getting burned by one school, why in the world wouldn't you use limited resources differently.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Two things:

* The other school involved with Mr. Dobbs? Marshall. Marshall University is the safety school for WVU. Think about that for a moment.
* The coach there? Doc Holiday, master recruiter. All he's done is help sign the kids who won those NC's at Florida a few years back.

UConn's solution here is not going to be as simple as Mr. Dobbs taking a couple extra courses in the spring - PP's gonna have to stare down one of the best closers in the recruiting game as well.

Keeping this kid in the fold will NOT be easy, but it won't be impossible either...

Reaction Score
Two things:

* The other school involved with Mr. Dobbs? Marshall. Marshall University is the safety school for WVU. Think about that for a moment.
* The coach there? Doc Holiday, master recruiter. All he's done is help sign the kids who won those NC's at Florida a few years back.

UConn's solution here is not going to be as simple as Mr. Dobbs taking a couple extra courses in the spring - PP's gonna have to stare down one of the best closers in the recruiting game as well.

Keeping this kid in the fold will NOT be easy, but it won't be impossible either...

I'm confused. How do we keep someone in the fold if we're not able to get him admitted to our school?

Reaction Score
I'm confused. How do we keep someone in the fold if we're not able to get him admitted to our school?

We certainly don't do it by breaking any rules. That's all I know. Got enough problems elsehwere, don't need it in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom