Monday's overreactions: UConn is back, baby! | The Boneyard

Monday's overreactions: UConn is back, baby!

Reaction Score
O.K. I take this with a grain of salt but it's just nice that someone noticed that the Huskies seem to be on an upward trajectory. It's been a while since UConn has been relevant on the national scene it's just nice to be finally noticed. Onward and upward!

MONDAY’S OVERREACTIONS
1. UCONN IS BACK, BABY
This week felt like a turning point for the UConn program under Dan Hurley.

And not just because they got James GOATKnight, I mean Bouknight, back from his early season suspension.

The Huskies bounced back from an ugly home loss to St. Joseph’s by beating then-No. 15 Florida at home. Then, in a letdown spot against a solid Buffalo team, they put together a fairly easy win before taking Xavier to double-overtime and smacking around Miami like they were still mad at Jim Larranaga for 2006. Bouknight was awesome. Josh Carlton more than held his own. Akok Akok blocked everything. Tyler Polley and Brendan Adams hit big shots.

The guy that didn’t play well was Alterique Gilbert, but even that mattered. Hurley ripped into criticism of him in a press conference, putting himself on the line for a player that, to be frank, missed a couple of big shots in the Xavier loss.

Hurley told me in October that the most difficult part of this job has been teaching these kids, who lost so much with the previous coaching regime, to expect and demand winning. He had to change the culture, and the first signs of change appeared this weekend.

Reaction Score
O.K. I take this with a grain of salt but it's just nice that someone noticed that the Huskies seem to be on an upward trajectory. It's been a while since UConn has been relevant on the national scene it's just nice to be finally noticed. Onward and upward!

MONDAY’S OVERREACTIONS
1. UCONN IS BACK, BABY

And not just because they got James GOATKnight, I mean Bouknight, back from his early season suspension.

The Huskies bounced back from an ugly home loss to St. Joseph’s by beating then-No. 15 Florida at home. Then, in a letdown spot against a solid Buffalo team, they put together a fairly easy win before taking Xavier to double-overtime and smacking around Miami like they were still mad at Jim Larranaga for 2006. Bouknight was awesome. Josh Carlton more than held his own. Akok Akok blocked everything. Tyler Polley and Brendan Adams hit big shots.

The guy that didn’t play well was Alterique Gilbert, but even that mattered. Hurley ripped into criticism of him in a press conference, putting himself on the line for a player that, to be frank, missed a couple of big shots in the Xavier loss.

Hurley told me in October that the most difficult part of this job has been teaching these kids, who lost so much with the previous coaching regime, to expect and demand winning. He had to change the culture, and the first signs of change appeared this weekend.

I, personally, am still mad at Larranaga for 2006, and thought of that frequently while enjoying our win.

Reaction Score
I, personally, am still mad at Larranaga for 2006, and thought of that frequently while enjoying our win.

I'm more mad at our vaunted frontcourt for getting dominated in that game . . .

Reaction Score

MONDAY’S OVERREACTIONS
1. UCONN IS BACK, BABY

Ok, great!~ But how is this an "overreaction". I don't get it.

Huskies fans are just waiting to burst out in joyous celebration after the past 3 or 4 years. That would happen with any solid program with a good fan base if they had this kind of stretch. So yes, this 3-1 stretch, one bucket away from 4-0/what would have been two top 25 wins and an additional win over a solid Mid Major Buffalo does have me a little giddy, yes.

Reaction Score
I was in a bar in VA when that happened unfortunately.

Reaction Score
So if I'm not out of line for still hating Larranaga, will someone tell the suits in the athletic department to quit playing friggin Living on a Prayer at football games. Because there is nothing I will ever hate more from that weekend in DC than that GD song.

Reaction Score
Would you say that UConn is back to prominence already? There's your answer. It's an article they do every week. I think UConn fits the narrative right now.

They're on an upward trend. Which is on the way back to prominence. Not even close to there yet.

Reaction Score

MONDAY’S OVERREACTIONS
1. UCONN IS BACK, BABY

Oh, yay! Clickbait idiocy from some unknown jackass on the internet.

Reaction Score
Oh, yay! Clickbait idiocy from some unknown jackass on the internet.

He does NBC Sports's college basketball podcast and kind of bends over backwards to mention UConn usually.

This was actually what he used as the title of the most recent ep. Though it's only about 5-10 minutes of the conversation in the middle. The Boneyard is brought up as well... You can imagine how that goes probably.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He does NBC Sports's college basketball podcast and kind of bends over backwards to mention UConn usually.

This was actually what he used as the title of the most recent ep. Though it's only about 5-10 minutes of the conversation in the middle. The Boneyard is brought up as well... You can imagine how that goes probably.
Best sports forum is my guess. :cool:

Negative of recent buzz could be players buying into the hype prematurely.

Negative could be a bigger target on our backs. Already have one with AAC departure.

Positive is players begin believing in themselves and rid themselves of losing mentality.

Positive is it makes Hurley’s recruiting easier.

We’ll keep mum that prominence is a way off.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Huskies fans are just waiting to burst out in joyous celebration after the past 3 or 4 years. That would happen with any solid program with a good fan base if they had this kind of stretch. So yes, this 3-1 stretch, one bucket away from 4-0/what would have been two top 25 wins and an additional win over a solid Mid Major Buffalo does have me a little giddy, yes.

Weak article didn’t mention AG vs Miami just made it sound awful overall. Do your job.

OK Boomers.

An "Overreaction" article, podcast, etc is designed to overemphasize positives and negatives of an event. In other words, you overreact.

In this case the positive overreaction is UConn is back due to all the things that went well. The negative overreaction is only viewing AG's poor performances.

When you overreact to an overreact article, you feed the author's soul.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I'm more mad at our vaunted frontcourt for getting dominated in that game . . .

We were flawed at guard / ball handler that year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
More like splaining to the Boomers.
No doubt, though I can smile picturing some women I know if, after referencing "mansplaining," they were to hear in response, "More like splaining to women."

Reaction Score
OK Boomers.

An "Overreaction" article, podcast, etc is designed to overemphasize positives and negatives of an event. In other words, you overreact.

In this case the positive overreaction is UConn is back due to all the things that went well. The negative overreaction is only viewing AG's poor performances.

When you overreact to an overreact article, you feed the author's soul.
Uh, I'm not a boomer, I am 35.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Weak article didn’t mention AG vs Miami just made it sound awful overall. Do your job.
The press and journalists do their job??????
Mau surely you jest

But at least there is some positive focus on UConn

Reaction Score
We were flawed at guard / ball handler that year.

We were, but late in the game, most of their points come from their inside guys down low. They ate up Boone and Armstrong. That 3 or 4 minute span of time was one of the most frustrating I've endured as a fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom