Monday games: ND @ NC State, Oregon @ OSU | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Monday games: ND @ NC State, Oregon @ OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought it came down to Ionescu having an off night. Some of that was OSU D but not all.

It also seemed like OSU kept Oregon from running their usual pick and roll offense even before Hebard went out.

Reaction Score
Oh wow, what a burden for OSU to have to adjust to an Oregon team with no Hebard on the floor.

Oregon should have had Ionescu go down with an injury. Rueck would've never been prepared for that!

Nice sarcasm. I basically put my interpretation of what Rueck said into one sentence. Rueck's actual words "The game changed of course when Ruthie went down...then it turned into just a chess match that neither of us had probably prepared for. I mean we hadn't. It threw us off our game in the third quarter because they've got 4 guards on the floor. We figured they would do that and just go small with Boley and Sataou at their 2 post positions. Now they,ve got 5 guards so we went small as well which threw our offense off a bit you know and then they went to a zone and we're trying to run stuff that we've never run with people in positions they've never been in, you know but we had to adapt and finally we settled in in the fourth quarter with a bit of a wrinkle with Jo out there and have her guard guard and, you know took a risk in a way, but now they had to deal with her at the other end too, you know which ended up paying off for us down the stretch and it kept their zone maybe a little tighter than it would have been if we wouldn't have had Jo in the game..."

So, you can make light of this all you want, but it's clear to me he is saying Hebert's absence caused new problems to which OSU had to adjust.

Reaction Score
I don't think Rueck's point was that UO was better without Hebard. He was merely pointing out that 1) both coaches had to rethink their tactics, and 2) Graves did a good job adjusting and it took some time for OSU to come up with countermeasures.

Losing Ruthy hurt the Duck's chances. That said, when Ruthy went out, OSU was up by 7.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't think Rueck's point was that UO was better without Hebard. He was merely pointing out that 1) both coaches had to rethink their tactics, and 2) Graves did a good job adjusting and it took some time for OSU to come up with countermeasures.

Losing Ruthy hurt the Duck's chances. That said, when Ruthy went out, OSU was up by 7.
If Napheesa Collier had been injured and forced to leave the game while Oklahoma was beating UConn by double digits, would UConn have been able to complete the comeback?

And if not, would we have been sympathetic to hear Sherri Coale talk about how hard it was for her team to adjust to Napheesa not being on the floor?

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. It is not a wash. Hebard is 2nd in the nation in FG% and Oregon's leading rebounder. No one else on the Oregon roster can even come close to what she provides.

Tudor was an important piece, but she wasn't even a starter for OSU. She was one of 5 guards who saw significant playing time.

To even suggest for one moment that losing Hebard is no more difficult for Oregon than losing Tudor is for Oregon State is to stretch the limits of absurdity.
Have to disagree with you BIG time. I've watched nearly every OSU and UO game, since Kat & Ruthy have been at OSU/UO, and Ruthy Hebard is incredible for sure. She also happens to be the recipient of some excellent passes from you know who. She is obviously critical to the Ducks success. Kat Tudor started all last year, and didn't start this year, but played the 3rd most minutes (behind McWilliams and Pivec), but not by much. Kat Tudor is the best 3-point shooter in the PAC-12, and, maybe the best in the country. Kat just so happens to be an awesome defender, and, rebounder for a guard. Kat's importance to OSU is just as important to what Ruthy is to Oregon. It is just that coaches at OSU have a deeper bench than do Oregon. So, maybe on that basis (alone) the loss of Ruthy to UO shouldn't be compared to OSU's loss of Kat Tudor. I would also add that OSU with Kat Tudor, is better than UO with Ruthy Hebard. Maybe that makes it easier to digest.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I would also add that OSU with Kat Tudor, is better than UO with Ruthy Hebard. Maybe that makes it easier to digest.
Now we truly have reached the twilight zone.

One of the two players is a two-time All-Pac 12 First Team selection. The other one isn't.
One of the two players has been nominated multiple times for national awards at her position. The other one hasn't.
Ask any coach or commentator in the country which of the two players is the more irreplaceable for her team.

I admire the homers here for their passion, but homer passion doesn't always foster objectivity.

Reaction Score
Now we truly have reached the twilight zone.

One of the two players is a two-time All-Pac 12 First Team selection. The other one isn't.
One of the two players has been nominated multiple times for national awards at her position. The other one hasn't.
Ask any coach or commentator in the country which of the two players is the more irreplaceable for her team.

I admire the homers here for their passion, but homer passion doesn't always foster objectivity.
Homers are everywhere on this forum (you included). I'm an OSU homer when it is necessary to be on this forum. As I said, if we are talking about how deep the bench is at UO vs OSU, you have a case. But go ask Rueck, and you will here my response out of his mouth. Ruthy has Sabrina, which alone, turns her into a 70% shooter from a 50%+ shooter. Don't get me wrong, Ruthy is fantastic, I see that. I don't give a crap about national awards either, they're BS. As I said, I fairly confident that I have watched far more PAC-12 games involving Kat and Ruthy (many in person), and while I respect your views, we don't agree.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This thread is no longer a game discussion so I’m closing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads