Molly & Kyla | The Boneyard

Molly & Kyla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have been reading the BY for probably a little over a year and a half now. Only started watching UConn WBB a couple years ago. Never had much of an interest in watching professional ball because my perception of it was a lot of showboating and ‘in your face’ stuff.
Not sure that I have a lot to contribute here; I know next to nothing about the technical aspects of basketball and the only basketball I’ve ever played was when it was mandatory for PE class back in the late 60s and early 70s. I had no aptitude for the game then and that hasn’t changed.
This may very well be my only post here but I wanted to get on record as a Molly and Kyla supporter. Anything I may write is in no way meant to diminish the exceptional talent or achievements of any other player.

I started watching UCWBB mostly out of curiosity. At the time the newspapers seemed to run a story every day about how UConn had lost all it’s good players and was going to have a bad year (I’m paraphrasing, but it seemed that there was a lot of gloomy stuff being written).
There probably wasn’t a car race on tv that day so I tuned in to a game to see what all the noise was about.
What I saw was not what the papers had predicted….there was a lot of teamwork, ball movement, and very precise playing….no showboating. They were also winning games.
It looked like the kind of basketball that coaches had tried to teach me a very long time ago.
AND they kept winning, game after game. It was enjoyable to watch as a CT resident and I was seeing for the first time what all the hype was about in previous years.

I found the BY because I was looking online to find out about the players and who they were. I confess that mostly I was looking into Molly and Kyla because they seemed to be so excited to be there but rarely ever played, except for the very end of some games.
It looked to me as if they had some skills, but were not playing at the same level as some of the rest of the players. There were mistakes made by Molly on a regular basis, and I hadn’t yet learned to look for what Kyla was really doing, she seemed a bit invisible.

I also saw the comments on the UConn Facebook page, a lot of them were very ugly towards Molly. The comments on the BY weren’t ‘as bad’, but some were pretty dismissive: Molly doesn’t deserve to wear the #10 jersey, they were a recruiting failure-both of them would be better off playing for a lower division team, Kyla is slow & can’t jump, Molly can’t play at the level needed to be here, etc. (paraphrasing again). I thought it was unfortunate that self-proclaimed ‘fans’ would be so harsh towards players. But such is the world of internet forums, I suppose.

As I read through the comments about how they screwed this thing up, or could have done this other thing better I was reminded of the excerpt from Roosevelt’s “The Man in the Arena” speech; “It is not the critic that counts……..credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena….” It is worth reading and I hope those two young ladies are familiar with it. (need to make a gender adjustment to parts of it to be more applicable)

I began to watch the games differently, I watched with hope that Molly and Kyla would prove everyone wrong, that they were players that belonged with the UConn program. I felt sure after last year’s USF game that Molly had broken through whatever was dogging her, she played her heart out that game and my opinion was that she provided exactly what UConn needed to get up to speed that day. However, I think it was the very next game that she refused to shoot and was very visibly benched, her embarrassment was obvious. I felt bad for her because she clearly had tons of energy and had shown flashes of some pretty decent talent. I also watched Kyla hit some 3 pt shots with a graceful stroke but she wasn’t getting much time on the court, either.

I continued to watch the team play and I continually hoped for Molly and Kyla to get more game time so they had a chance to improve and to blend in with the other ‘star’ players.

Well, so far, this year I’ve gotten my wish, I am so gratified to see both Molly and Kyla getting the opportunity to play really well. I’ve learned to actually watch Kyla, and without any sort of flash or dazzle she puts herself in exactly the right spot to help someone else to score. Her passing has become extremely accurate and her timing is on the money. Her backdoor pass to Christyn (Virginia Game??) was a thing of beauty. Christyn had started her move before Kyla even had the ball but Kyla was able to bounce-pass the ball from her side to behind her and hit Christyn exactly in the hands for her to lay it up. And Kyla has done it again since then. It seems to me that for someone that ‘can’t move’ she is always moving to get into a better position to create or assist. As a starter now it appears to my untrained eye that many of the offensive plays start with Kyla, where her decisions can make or break the play. I haven’t seen Kyla botch many plays so far. I HAVE seen her make some crisp and accurate passes, and I HAVE seen her knock down a few 3 pointers.
Kyla calmly and deliberately fired the first shot across the bow in the first seconds of the Notre Dame game to set the tone for the rest of the game. Beautiful work from her to own that first shot… She blocked a shot during the Notre Dame game as well, who was ever expecting that to happen?
She seems to do it all with efficiency and no wasted movements.

I watched Molly win the 3pt shooting contest at the UConn First Night celebration. I was eager to see if Molly would put her shooting shyness behind her this year but it wasn’t until the Seton Hall game that Molly seemed to shed her trepidation and just let herself play basketball. There were times while I was watching that game that it got really dusty in my house and I had to clear my eyes more than once. I watch those highlights often and every time at about 2:30something in the second quarter when it looks as if the ball is bogged down in the corner, someone comes streaking into the camera shot from the right, takes the pass in the lane and puts it in. The camera doesn’t show where she was, and I didn’t realize at the time that it was Molly, but that play sticks with me as an indicator that Molly might be ready to let herself just play the game. I can only imagine the decibel level if that had happened on one of her home courts!
And if I’m remembering correctly, she made a 3 pt shot that gave UConn the lead that they never lost.
She’s done some other stuff lately that I’m sure that nobody was expecting her to do, based on her past performance.

IF Molly is really ready to not “play timid” (her words) then I approve and am looking forward to watching it. Will she make mistakes and turn the ball over? Of course she will. To quote Darrell Waltrip - Molly is “all ate up with motor”, and I don’t know how much she can slow herself down. (She seems to have dialed it back enough to gain some trust and make some sharp plays) I’m guessing that she will counterbalance any off moments with a lot of really good plays. I want to be watching when she makes them.

Molly and Kyla have only had a couple of post-game interviews but they are both a pleasure to listen to. They are both so thoughtful, articulate, personable, and complimentary towards their team mates. They are great representatives of the UConn WBB program, and I hope that their parents are extremely proud of them.

(I’m pretty sure that the coaches and staff at UConn teach these young women a LOT more than how to put a spherical object through an elevated metal ring)

I have great respect for them both being the person that they are, for NEVER, EVER quitting, either on their team mates or on themselves, and for letting us watch them develop (under pressure) into amazing young women.
If they go on to be teachers or coaches every young person they come in contact with will benefit greatly from the path Molly and Kyla chose to get them where they are.

As Anna works to adapt to all of the life changes and might struggle a bit, who better than Molly to spend a long weekend with away from the environment? Who better to provide some perspective and positive outlook for how hard it can be to fit in with a top level program and play under a very harsh lens?

It seems to be that there is a lot of focus on the BY about the next great player(s), or the next time the team will be unbeatable, but I’m pretty positive about the team that is on the court Right Now and the possibilities that they have to make THEIR mark. I’m no sports analyst, but I think this group is coming together, they are learning to work with each other to win, and have demonstrated that they are able to band together and overcome tough situations. I think the Seton Hall game was an excellent ‘live fire exercise’ in how to deal with fouls and injury, and how to meld the ‘bench’ with the first string to win.

I am not a believer in “participation trophies” but I do believe that honest, hard work matters and should be rewarded. I don’t think their stories are all told just yet, they may just prove to the doubters that they are able to contribute a lot to the success of This team, This year.

YMMV

Reaction Score
Have been reading the BY for probably a little over a year and a half now. Only started watching UConn WBB a couple years ago. Never had much of an interest in watching professional ball because my perception of it was a lot of showboating and ‘in your face’ stuff.
Not sure that I have a lot to contribute here; I know next to nothing about the technical aspects of basketball and the only basketball I’ve ever played was when it was mandatory for PE class back in the late 60s and early 70s. I had no aptitude for the game then and that hasn’t changed.
This may very well be my only post here but I wanted to get on record as a Molly and Kyla supporter. Anything I may write is in no way meant to diminish the exceptional talent or achievements of any other player.

I started watching UCWBB mostly out of curiosity. At the time the newspapers seemed to run a story every day about how UConn had lost all it’s good players and was going to have a bad year (I’m paraphrasing, but it seemed that there was a lot of gloomy stuff being written).
There probably wasn’t a car race on tv that day so I tuned in to a game to see what all the noise was about.
What I saw was not what the papers had predicted….there was a lot of teamwork, ball movement, and very precise playing….no showboating. They were also winning games.
It looked like the kind of basketball that coaches had tried to teach me a very long time ago.
AND they kept winning, game after game. It was enjoyable to watch as a CT resident and I was seeing for the first time what all the hype was about in previous years.

I found the BY because I was looking online to find out about the players and who they were. I confess that mostly I was looking into Molly and Kyla because they seemed to be so excited to be there but rarely ever played, except for the very end of some games.
It looked to me as if they had some skills, but were not playing at the same level as some of the rest of the players. There were mistakes made by Molly on a regular basis, and I hadn’t yet learned to look for what Kyla was really doing, she seemed a bit invisible.

I also saw the comments on the UConn Facebook page, a lot of them were very ugly towards Molly. The comments on the BY weren’t ‘as bad’, but some were pretty dismissive: Molly doesn’t deserve to wear the #10 jersey, they were a recruiting failure-both of them would be better off playing for a lower division team, Kyla is slow & can’t jump, Molly can’t play at the level needed to be here, etc. (paraphrasing again). I thought it was unfortunate that self-proclaimed ‘fans’ would be so harsh towards players. But such is the world of internet forums, I suppose.

As I read through the comments about how they screwed this thing up, or could have done this other thing better I was reminded of the excerpt from Roosevelt’s “The Man in the Arena” speech; “It is not the critic that counts……..credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena….” It is worth reading and I hope those two young ladies are familiar with it. (need to make a gender adjustment to parts of it to be more applicable)

I began to watch the games differently, I watched with hope that Molly and Kyla would prove everyone wrong, that they were players that belonged with the UConn program. I felt sure after last year’s USF game that Molly had broken through whatever was dogging her, she played her heart out that game and my opinion was that she provided exactly what UConn needed to get up to speed that day. However, I think it was the very next game that she refused to shoot and was very visibly benched, her embarrassment was obvious. I felt bad for her because she clearly had tons of energy and had shown flashes of some pretty decent talent. I also watched Kyla hit some 3 pt shots with a graceful stroke but she wasn’t getting much time on the court, either.

I continued to watch the team play and I continually hoped for Molly and Kyla to get more game time so they had a chance to improve and to blend in with the other ‘star’ players.

Well, so far, this year I’ve gotten my wish, I am so gratified to see both Molly and Kyla getting the opportunity to play really well. I’ve learned to actually watch Kyla, and without any sort of flash or dazzle she puts herself in exactly the right spot to help someone else to score. Her passing has become extremely accurate and her timing is on the money. Her backdoor pass to Christyn (Virginia Game??) was a thing of beauty. Christyn had started her move before Kyla even had the ball but Kyla was able to bounce-pass the ball from her side to behind her and hit Christyn exactly in the hands for her to lay it up. And Kyla has done it again since then. It seems to me that for someone that ‘can’t move’ she is always moving to get into a better position to create or assist. As a starter now it appears to my untrained eye that many of the offensive plays start with Kyla, where her decisions can make or break the play. I haven’t seen Kyla botch many plays so far. I HAVE seen her make some crisp and accurate passes, and I HAVE seen her knock down a few 3 pointers.
Kyla calmly and deliberately fired the first shot across the bow in the first seconds of the Notre Dame game to set the tone for the rest of the game. Beautiful work from her to own that first shot… She blocked a shot during the Notre Dame game as well, who was ever expecting that to happen?

I watched Molly win the 3pt shooting contest at the UConn First Night celebration. I was eager to see if Molly would put her shooting shyness behind her this year but it wasn’t until the Seton Hall game that Molly seemed to shed her trepidation and just let herself play basketball. There were times while I was watching that game that it got really dusty in my house and I had to clear my eyes more than once. I watch those highlights often and every time at about 2:30something in the second quarter when it looks as if the ball is bogged down in the corner, someone comes streaking into the camera shot from the right, takes the pass in the lane and puts it in. The camera doesn’t show where she was, and I didn’t realize at the time that it was Molly, but that play sticks with me as an indicator that Molly might be ready to let herself just play the game. I can only imagine the decibel level if that had happened on one of her home courts!
And if I’m remembering correctly, she made a 3 pt shot that gave UConn the lead that they never lost.
She’s done some other stuff lately that I’m sure that nobody was expecting her to do, based on her past performance.

IF Molly is really ready to not “play timid” (her words) then I approve and am looking forward to watching it. Will she make mistakes and turn the ball over? Of course she will. To quote Darrell Waltrip - Molly is “all ate up with motor”, and I don’t know how much she can slow herself down. (She seems to have dialed it back enough to gain some trust and make some sharp plays) I’m guessing that she will counterbalance any off moments with a lot of really good plays. I want to be watching when she makes them.

Molly and Kyla have only had a couple of post-game interviews but they are both a pleasure to listen to. They are both so thoughtful, articulate, personable, and complimentary towards their team mates. They are great representatives of the UConn WBB program, and I hope that their parents are extremely proud of them.

(I’m pretty sure that the coaches and staff at UConn teach these young women a LOT more than how to put a spherical object through an elevated metal ring)

I have great respect for them both being the person that they are, for NEVER, EVER quitting, either on their team mates or on themselves, and for letting us watch them develop (under pressure) into amazing young women.
If they go on to be teachers or coaches every young person they come in contact with will benefit greatly from the path Molly and Kyla chose to get them where they are.

As Anna works to adapt to all of the life changes and might struggle a bit, who better than Molly to spend a long weekend with away from the environment? Who better to provide some perspective and positive outlook for how hard it can be to fit in with a top level program and play under a very harsh lens?

It seems to be that there is a lot of focus on the BY about the next great player(s), or the next time the team will be unbeatable, but I’m pretty positive about the team that is on the court Right Now and the possibilities that they have to make THEIR mark. I’m no sports analyst, but I think this group is coming together, they are learning to work with each other to win, and have demonstrated that they are able to band together and overcome tough situations. I think the Seton Hall game was an excellent ‘live fire exercise’ in how to deal with fouls and injury, and how to meld the ‘bench’ with the first string to win.

I am not a believer in “participation trophies” but I do believe that honest, hard work matters and should be rewarded. I don’t think their stories are all told just yet, they may just prove to the doubters that they are able to contribute a lot to the success of This team, This year.

YMMV
No free trophy for Molly or Irwin. Each second played is earned.
MOlly or Kyla. Each played as they belonged, and they did, on this Uconn Womens team. Molly played a game she kept hidden for 3 plus years . Kyla has played as a Senior on a Uconn team. That says it all. Enjoy two of the greatest kids to wear a Uconn uniform.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

YMMV
A well articulated post, I agree with everything you posted, to include some of the comments on the play of Kyla and Molly. Want to welcome you to the BY and keep bringing the great insight.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The only time I felt bad for either one was this year's game at Temple. Kyla had a bunch of people representing her and she didn't get in until the last 5 minutes. With the spread, I thought she could have gotten in sooner. Of course, Kyla eliminated any negative thought by making everything she shot in the short time she was in.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I began to watch the games differently, I watched with hope that Molly and Kyla would prove everyone wrong, that they were players that belonged with the UConn program.
For the most part, IMHO, nice post. However I do want to address a couple comments you made in the above 2 paragraphs...

I can tell you with 100% certainty that everyone on the BY loves Molly and Kyla. The thing that has been discussed a LOT in the past 3 years is that every time in the past, when they were on the court at the end of games, the other team (most of the time) seriously outscored UCONN and the reserves who were in. It was not unfair for fans to note that Molly and Kyla (and whoever else they were on the court with), weren't able to play even at the level of over-matched opponents.

Additionally, given the fact that UCONN has been one of the top 3-4 teams in the nation over the past 4 years, it's not unfair to note that on most "lesser" teams, both Kyla and Molly would earn substantial PT, and perhaps even be starters. The fact that they chose UCONN, stayed here, and are now contributing in a big way is a testament to their character, hard work, and all around awesomeness!

That has changed this year. There are articles and quotes from both Geno and Kyla/Molly that talk about them FINALLY getting it - not trying to do too much to show they belonged, but to do what they COULD do, and do it quite well. I don't think there is a single UCONN fan who isn't thrilled at their progression and great contributions this season.

The only thing I'd like to add - there aren't a lot of people on here who are super knowledgeable about the technical aspects, altho many of us, myself included, enjoy arm chair quarterbacking on a regular basis! There are some, but not a ton for sure...!

I also want to thank you for using paragraphs. A post of that magnitude would have been impossible to read without paragraphs...

Reaction Score

YMMV
Great post. Not sure how long it will take you to write this post.
But thank you to share your honest opinions with us.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
No free trophy for Molly or Irwin. Each second played is earned.
MOlly or Kyla. Each played as they belonged, and they did, on this Uconn Womens team. Molly played a game she kept hidden for 3 plus years . Kyla has played as a Senior on a Uconn team. That says it all. Enjoy two of the greatest kids to wear a Uconn uniform.

To expand on the bolded sentence: I think we all agree that Crystal is the floor general/driver of this team. In that way, she's the senior leader of the team. But I think Kyla is the emotional leader. Crystal does most of the talking in huddles, but there are times when Kyla's talking, and everyone's eyes are on her. I also give a nod to Molly, who's been vocal at times.

Reaction Score
I’m not positive but I think that block Kyla made in the ND gam was on a ND fast break after her good pal Molly turned the ball over which is especially sweet.

Reaction Score
For someone who doesn't have an

Don't sell yourself short - you have a greater understanding than you know. Must be the "home-schooling" ;)

Great post - thank you for taking the time!

Reaction Score
If @64Zcode is writing a book, the first chapter is great. Hope he/she keeps up the good work. :)
Yeah, that was a long first one, ya got me there. I fully expected someone to call me out on it when I wrote it.
I shall make all efforts to reduce the verbiage that might end up splattered all over the page should the urge to post again override my better judgement.

However, in my defense; the other couple of boards I participate in ask new members/posters to make an introductory post with an introduction and some background before diving into the pool.
I did not see an area here to do that. Sooooo.....

I did the long introduction as a bit of a courtesy, and to help reduce the possibility that someone might make the mistaken assumption that I had the faintest clue what I was going on about. (and on, and on)
So hopefully we're good here.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your insightful critique . I particularly appreciated your observations about the occasional harshness of some BYers when it comes to Molly and Kyla. As a newer BY reader I've been Intimidated by much of the BB brilliance shared here and distressed by some views expressed about these young women. I love UCWBB and get much joy from watching them - even when they don't win a national championships!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe I am correct when I say I do not believe one person who posts on this board believed before the season started that UConn would have two seniors in the starting lineup. Also, I doubt if anyone believed UConn would be undefeated and ranked number one at the holiday break if Molly or Kyla was starting. Additionally, someone did say that if one of them started this season, the freshmen would not be as good as hoped and UConn would be no better than a sweet sixteen team. I think Molly and Kyla feel really good that they stuck with it and are seeing the fruits of their determination and effort come into being. My hope is that they continue to improve and contribute.

Reaction Score

YMMV

I wish they were juniors...

Reaction Score
I believe I am correct when I say I do not believe one person who posts on this board believed before the season started that UConn would have two seniors in the starting lineup. Also, I doubt if anyone believed UConn would be undefeated and ranked number one at the holiday break if Molly or Kyla was starting. Additionally, someone did say that if one of them started this season, the freshmen would not be as good as hoped and UConn would be no better than a sweet sixteen team. I think Molly and Kyla feel really good that they stuck with it and are seeing the fruits of their determination and effort come into being. My hope is that they continue to improve and contribute.

I would agree with all that you wrote, I think that the overall attitude towards Kyla and Molly was 'less than positive'. It was what motivated me to step outside my comfort zone and comment in their support.

To be fair, back in the 'UConn 2019' thread in Sept there was a reference to them both that I was very happy to see. (Thanks to RockyMTblue2)
I don't know how to link or quote from a different thread so I'll try to copy and paste, hope it works...

Sep 20, 2019

1569018589615.png

And let us not forget the soldiers on the left. They will contribute in key times this year.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
There is no need to reawaken this year old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom