MoJeff released by Dallas | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MoJeff released by Dallas

Reaction Score
If you read down the trail, Richard Cohen -- the initial poster -- answers this: since Minnesota picked up the contract, they're now responsible for it.
Minn signed MoJeff as a free agent to a new contract.

it is my understanding that IF Minn had claimed MoJeff off waivers, Minn would assume the existing contract. They didn't so they aren't. Dallas is still responsible in part or whole cap wise and/or money wise for the contract she was on with Dallas.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Minn signed MoJeff as a free agent.

it is my understanding that IF Minn had claimed MoJeff off waivers, Minn would assume the contract. They didn't so they aren't. Dallas is still responsible in part or whole cap wise and/or money wise.
I believe it is similar to other pro sports - a waived player who is claimed travels with their contract still in place (just transferred to the claiming team), an unclaimed player signed as a free agent can be signed for whatever the league minimum is and the difference between that and the guaranteed money from the waiving team remains the responsibility of the team that waived the player.

Example:
Play X had a contract guarantee of $180,000 and is waived by Team Y. Unclaimed, she signs a contract for $100,000 with team Z. Team Y still pays $80,000 of the original contract, and Team Z pays $100,000 per the new contract.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
it is my understanding that IF Minn had claimed MoJeff off waivers, Minn would assume the existing contract. They didn't so they aren't. Dallas is still responsible in part or whole cap wise and/or money wise for the contract she was on with Dallas.

Play X had a contract guarantee of $180,000 and is waived by Team Y. Unclaimed, she signs a contract for $100,000 with team Z. Team Y still pays $80,000 of the original contract, and Team Z pays $100,000 per the new contract.

Richard Cohen response on MoJeff:
"If they claim her off waivers, you assume all elements of the current contract (so 180k guaranteed). If she clears waivers, the contract no longer exists and she's an unrestricted free agent who can sign with whoever for whatever."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to both of you for weighing in.
I probably read Cohen's response too quickly and/or didn't realize that MoJeff had cleared waivers.

Given the precariousness of most WNBA teams' salary cap situation, it makes sense for teams to let players clear waivers and then sign as a free agent.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Richard Cohen response on MoJeff:
"If they claim her off waivers, you assume all elements of the current contract (so 180k guaranteed). If she clears waivers, the contract no longer exists and she's an unrestricted free agent who can sign with whoever for whatever."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to both of you for weighing in.
I probably read Cohen's response too quickly and/or didn't realize that MoJeff had cleared waivers.

Given the precariousness of most WNBA teams' salary cap situation, it makes sense for teams to let players clear waivers and then sign as a free agent.
So does this response mean that the Dallas Wings are still on the hook for her $180,000 of guaranteed salary, and that this counts against the Wings' salary cap?

It sounds as if Moriah will get this money over and above whatever the Lynx are paying her, so she should be financially comfortable even if she is being paid a minimum salary by the Lynx. Or is the guaranteed amount automatically reduced by whatever she gets from the Lynx?

I wonder if Crystal had any guaranteed money that she is still being paid, which would presumably count against the Lynx's cap.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A few players do not have off-set language in their contracts, but off-set language (guaranteed is off-set by any money in a new contract signed by another team) is pretty standard for sports contracts. I suspect most if not all WNBA contracts have the off-set language. NFL and MLB I know sometimes do not include that language.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom