2017 Recruiting: Mohamed Bamba

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by The Smart One, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Brochacho

Brochacho Make the Boneyard Great Again

No.
    UConn beat UK in the title game. UConn beat UK for the right to roll Butler in the title game.

They're not comparable.

UConnFranklin likes this.
  2. King Husky

King Husky

Because 1. The hype machine proclaims UK is the best, the blue blood, the team that we should all be fans of. (Which is not only incorrect and unfair, but directly against our interests as UConn fans). 2. Calipari is a scummy, disrespectful egomaniac.

3. champs99and04

champs99and04

No doubt it was a loaded class - not trying to say it wasn't - but it wasn't so loaded that things like experience, continuity, and leadership don't matter. He didn't merely inherit a ready-made championship team; there was a building job to be done, and despite the statistics you cite, most metrics indicate that they're currently the best team in the country.

The guy isn't re-inventing the wheel, but I've been watching this sport too long and seen too many people eff these things up to believe that he isn't a hell of a coach. If he trades rosters with Ollie retroactive three months ago I can pretty much guarantee you that things go better for us and worse for them, and I say that as somebody who thinks Ollie is and can be a great coach.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  4. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Not sure how others miss this? And the guys coming off the bench - Gabriel would be a star at UConn this year, he really would and we don't even mention him. No one is saying he's not a good coach ut he's not half as good a coach as he is a salesman. UK did it right, they have a product to sell, legacy fan base and they added some snake oil good for them. But I promise all of these guys calling for KO's head would be twice as bad of he wasn't winning championships with these kind of players on the floor. Imgine the posts "he can't teach anything he's gotta go, Elite 8 doesn't work we need to win the big one", all relatively speaking of course.

tzznandrew, David 76 and Mr. French like this.
  5. upstater

upstater

I agree. But it all depends on who you lose to and who they beat to get their NC. I mean, losing to Michigan St was kind of a ho hum loss for UConn in 09, because UNC was waiting for us. So losing to MSU in the F4 was not nearly as bad a loss as losing to Maryland in the F8. The Maryland loss was exponentially worse. That was a national championship team for UConn, and the difference was a bucket.

fleudslipcon and tzznandrew like this.
  6. David 76

David 76 Forty years a fan

Somebody gathered the data that over the time the Squid got to KY to the present, KY has had more top players than the UConn women.
    Slightly different results.

uchusky32 and mauconnfan like this.
  7. James

James

I actually agree with @mauconnfan on gabriel, he would 100% be able to showcase everything he has here as a 30 mpg+ starter. Its not like scouts will favor him JUST because he goes to UK, but if you star there you are set... just facts. he is in that fringe territory where he might get recruited over soon. Marcus lee could have been here and progressed as our main big too.

Adams has to be on nba scouts radar, he has a ton of physical tools (plus wingspan, bounce, first step) and is putting up NUMBERS. His assist rate is kind of crazy, as is his overall efficiency. Elfrid payton was a recent top ten pick out the sun belt playing worst comp... its all about opportunity really. I'm 100% sure adams is satisfied with being able to run his own team as a sophomore even though we have struggled with injuries and the wins column. We all saw how much he gave it to Evans in the second half in Maui, and Evans is touted as a first rounder. we all saw him defend Levert, who is putting in work for the brooklyn nets right now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    KSC94, Jluc, uchusky32 and 3 others like this.
  8. BUConn10

BUConn10 Artist formerly known as BUHusky10

You are right, Gabriel likely would have been able to showcase at UConn vs riding the bench at UK this year, but in my opinion saying "scouts wont favor him just because he went to UK" in my opinion is slightly false. I think guys DO get a bump in scout's eyes by simply wearing a UK jersey. Let me put it this way; Gabriel coming off the bench with minimal impact and minutes at UK still gives him late first round attention maybe this year or next, but him averaging tose same minutes and numbers on this current UConn team in my opinion would not. NBA scouts are treating Calipari right now as a senior NBA scout himself, when he identifies a guy he wants much of the league will look at that guy, simply put, differently.

9. navery12

navery12

I don't know what it is, but I wonder about the correlation. Do NBA scouts give UK players more attention or does UK just recruit players who NBA scouts will be looking at anyway?

pj and Tuna like this.
  10. James

James

thats facts, i agree. if he played the same role he does on UK but here he would be cooked, very bad for his trajectory as a pro. Thing is, ollie would just force feed him minutes and make him do stuff in his iso heavy offense. Scouts like to see guys getting an abundance of minutes bu.

as far as cal being treated as a guy who scouts and gets great talent as so nba respect his taste in players, i disagree... vehemently. A good scout (i dont know nba scouts, ive been around guys who scout for prep schools) will see production when its apparent. A guy like monk exploded and is now a consensus top 8 pick , starring at kentucky is what you shoot for , its what diallo is trying to do.

But the other guys ( dakari, lee, the Australian kid) dont get that juice. KO has a good pitch working, if you are pro level, you'll get all the minutes you want and all the touches you want. Dham, and well purvis is the OG example of this, kind of got exposed in this scenario but adams imo is still thriving. Gabriel would really thrive.

11. James

James

They don't. its not JUST about the uk brand, Cal gets supreme talent so a ton of his players will always head to the league. If you don't have impressive numbers in college or show out in workouts, going to UK wont save you. For instance i think if Bam was at NC state he would be in the same slot scouts are putting him in now, but monk and fox really got a boost because of their star power.

mauconnfan likes this.
  12. UConnfan8

UConnfan8

you're garbage.

13. gtcam

gtcam

All Kensucky's practices are open invitations to NBA scouts and that exposure is great for all of the Kensucky kids
    Where else are you going to see 12 of the top 20 kids in one place?

14. boog204

boog204

Slightly different levels of parody too. In the men's game, the difference between recruit #15 and #50 is often negligible. In the women's game, it's the difference between being able to dribble with your off hand or not.

15. David 76

I agree. But many, dismiss Geno's success because " he gets all the best players". The press and commentators never say that about Squid.

You making a parody out of parity?

BUConn10 likes this.
  16. UCweCONN

UCweCONN Let's do this!

It's never too late to get in (or back in) on a recruit. Heck, a coach can step in in the last two weeks and take another school's top target. Stuff happens and it's defeatist to not even try. We can't afford to leave any stone unturned at this point.

17. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

The latter. Scouts are trying to supply their clubs with the best players available. They don't care if you sat on the bench for Kentucky or started at Vanderbilt. They are only concerned with what you are likely to do going forward.

18. AntG168

AntG168

I'm a @husky99 positive post away from being emotionally invested in this recruitment lol

19. TitleTown

TitleTown

Great, another thread about a recruit that UConn has less than zero chance of getting.

20. CardiacAndre7

CardiacAndre7

Weird, cuz we had a very good shot at Diallo, if that's what you're referring to.

mauconnfan likes this.
  21. TitleTown

TitleTown

No, we didn't. Believe all the self proclaimed recruiting gurus around here if you want to but there was no chance Diallo was going to UConn.

22. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

I think most of us find them more credible than we find you.

Ricker, tzznandrew and UConNation like this.
  23. TitleTown

TitleTown

That's fine but I posted back in September that Diallo was going to Kentucky.

24. boog204

boog204

Because the women stay 4 years and the men stay one. UConn may have 8 "top" players over a four year run. UK will have theoretically 4-5 new ones every year.

25. husky99

husky99

Not good at all. Sell your stock

26. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

If you get the #1 in the womens game you're already competitive as we saw in Delaware with Elena. Gene gets the Top 10 players he needs then sprinkles in the pieces as good as anyone. But he does have the numbers as in top recruits - if you get 2 top 5's you're really good. He's just a better coach by far than the MD, Duke, Baylor coaches because they get the rest and can't beat him.

Ricker, fleudslipcon and HuskyHawk like this.
  27. UConnSwag11

UConnSwag11 Storrs, CT The Mecca

The kids that are going into Kentucky are already looked at as first round/lottery picks out of high school Not much changes during their time at Kentucky. Same with most players at duke

28. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

I think you're full of it. Honestly, if UConn was a one or two loss team, ranked in the top 15, I think he'd have picked UConn. We made the choice pretty easy for him.

29. David 76

Excuse me.
    Not more top players, higher rated players. But poor squid does have to reload every year. Meaning he sucks up about 4 times the number of top recruits as. Geno. And, they are higher rated.
    Not to cross genders, but Geno is a better coach in his game than Cal is in his game.

UConnSwag11 and BUConn10 like this.
  30. AntG168

AntG168

Thanks for the advice lol