Mohamed Bamba Top 4 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mohamed Bamba Top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to assume KO will learn from this recruitment. A kid can bat his eyes at you for many months, but if he isn't willing to commit, then you must let him know you are more than willing to move on for the sake of the program.

I hope so. KO let himself get played.

I don't fault KO for going after top 10 talent. It's essential to land that sort of player when he falls into our lap as Diallo basically did, both for on-court success and for the reputation of the program.

But his closing tactics have really been lacking on a few guys. He's gotten his one target per year (Hamilton, Adams, Gilbert, MAL), but he has several glaring misses that have really hurt us (Govan, Stone, Diallo). You need more than one impact freshman per year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
But his closing tactics have really been lacking on a few guys. He's gotten his one target per year (Hamilton, Adams, Gilbert, MAL), but he has several glaring misses that have really hurt us (Govan, Stone, Diallo). You need more than one impact freshman per year.

Tenspro2002, 7 minutes ago Report

wouldn't so many other programs want to get ONE TARGET PER YEAR
The competition is stiff and there are only so many elite players for a larger number of quality college programs and when UK, KU, Duke and a few others take multiple - the pool gets that much smaller. a portion of these kids also stay close to home.
Oh yeah, something called the AAC may be hurting UConn to some degree
The fact that so many of the top kids are even considering UConn is exciting to me - I don't remember JC, even in the height of the BE getting that much overall interest
I am not sure KO "got played" - I really think Ham was leaning towards UConn up to the point where the Squid started spreading his oil on the kid

Did anyone watch the UK/Auburn game yesterday and hear the comments about Ham that the commentators claim the Squid made about Ham? If I was ham, the comments would no make me happy. According to the commentators, when asked if he was excited about Ham, the Squid said, "Why should I be excited? He's not playing for us. I'll get excited if he gets a grasp for the system during practice and able to contribute next year, I'' be excited. If not, the kid will at least practice against high quality players." I may not be exact on the quote but the guys in the room with me just shook our heads and the general feeling was - yep another body for the meat market.

Reaction Score
I hope so. KO let himself get played.

I don't fault KO for going after top 10 talent. It's essential to land that sort of player when he falls into our lap as Diallo basically did, both for on-court success and for the reputation of the program.

For what it's worth, 3 of those 4 recruits had strong geographical connections to UConn/Ollie. IIRC Adams and MAL were lifelong UConn fans, and they live in Mass, so of course we have a upper hand there. Daniel Hamilton going to the same high school as Ollie obviously was a huge pull for us and the reason he said he chose UConn. What will be most impressive is seeing how Ollie can recruit top 50 guys who don't have any prior connections to our program. I think he'll be able to do it more once we start winning again.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, 3 of those 4 recruits had strong geographical connections to UConn/Ollie. IIRC Adams and MAL were lifelong UConn fans, and they live in Mass, so of course we have a upper hand there. Daniel Hamilton going to the same high school as Ollie obviously was a huge pull for us and the reason he said he chose UConn. What will be most impressive is seeing how Ollie can recruit top 50 guys who don't have any prior connections to our program. I think he'll be able to do it more once we start winning again.

Connections make up 90% of recruitment - either geographical, coaching ties or player ties. This doesn't make KOs success any less impressive or effective

Reaction Score
Connections make up 90% of recruitment - either geographical, coaching ties or player ties. This doesn't make KOs success any less impressive or effective

For lesser programs this is surely the case. But if you're a top program you can sway elite recruits to come simply based on selling what you can offer and being a great winning team. I'm not talking about to the level of Duke and Kentucky, but once in a while it will be necessary to recruit without these connections (And I think Ollie will be able to, as long as we get back to winning).

Reaction Score
Like Gilbert & Durham?

Two things drive me crazy:

1) guys ignore that Ollie had a spat of bad luck this year. He DOES recruit well! Durham was a five star player but got injured after he committed. Sure, cal the slime ball would have revoked his scholarship, but Ollie upheld it. It may have turned some other high level big men off to uconn but I'm glad he stuck to his man.

Also lost alterique a true five star and mcds all American who we desperately needed in the backcourt.

And before larrier was injured he was popping up on first round draft projections. Guy was likely our leading scorer and maybe our best player after Adams.

2) why is recruiting guys with connections to the program bad? That's what coaches do!! Aau connections is a huge reason why killings was brought in. Good recruiters create connections with local and national programs to try and get better players to our school!!!

Reaction Score

1) guys ignore that Ollie had a spat of bad luck this year. He DOES recruit well! Durham was a five star player but got injured after he committed. Sure, cal the slime ball would have revoked his scholarship, but Ollie upheld it. It may have turned some other high level big men off to uconn but I'm glad he stuck to his man.

Also lost alterique a true five star and mcds all American who we desperately needed in the backcourt.

And before larrier was injured he was popping up on first round draft projections. Guy was likely our leading scorer and maybe our best player after Adams.

2) why is recruiting guys with connections to the program bad? That's what coaches do!! Aau connections is a huge reason why killings was brought in. Good recruiters create connections with local and national programs to try and get better players to our school!!!

Don't think your post is directed at me, but I'm not ignoring the bad luck in any way whatsoever. Just saying it's important to also be able to get top players who aren't local lifelong UConn fans. Big men in particular!!! With Ollie, it appears we'll be lucky enough to always have an abundance of talented point guards. I didn't know Durham was a true 5-star before the injury, but glad to hear it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Don't think your post is directed at me, but I'm not ignoring the bad luck in any way whatsoever. Just saying it's important to also be able to get top players who aren't local lifelong UConn fans. Big men in particular!!! With Ollie, it appears we'll be lucky enough to always have an abundance of talented point guards. I didn't know Durham was a true 5-star before the injury, but glad to hear it.

They didn't commit because they were longtime fans...that argument really grinds my gears because it cheapens the work the staff put in to get them. Do you think because Adams was a UConn fan, he was an easy get? KO was going up against Bill Self and Rick Pitino. Beating them for a recruit isn't a cakewalk.

Reaction Score
If closing against Calipari is so easy, how come more coaches aren't doing it?

Look here Stair, all you have to do to beat him is get a commitment during your first visit with the recruit. Simple, close the deal. What's the disconnect?

Reaction Score
They didn't commit because they were longtime fans...that argument really grinds my gears because it cheapens the work the staff put in to get them. Do you think because Adams was a UConn fan, he was an easy get? KO was going up against Bill Self and Rick Pitino. Beating them for a recruit isn't a cakewalk.

Not saying they had to put less work in or that it was an "easy get," but it surely benefitted us. If Adams grew up in Kentucky or Kansas, I don't think we would have gotten him.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Alright guys funs over, Stairmaster is in the thread now. See you in the next one.

Reaction Score
Not saying they had to put less work in or that it was an "easy get," but it surely benefitted us. If Adams grew up in Kentucky or Kansas, I don't think we would have gotten him.

You think they would have had a more difficult time pulling a kid that Kansas was recruiting out of Kansas? Way to go out on a limb.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

We're fortunate enough to be located in a spot (New England, bordering the Mid-Atlantic) with pretty significant talent throughout the area. If we were in Wyoming or Montana, it'd be an issue that we can't pull kids from random spots outside of our footprint, because that's all we'd have to go on. We don't need to pluck kids from random places like Kansas or Kentucky because we have comparable talent within the region.

Reaction Score
This debate is kind of senseless when it comes to Diallo because he had all the same local connections. He was a prototypical KO recruit.....except for the top 10 status and Calipari interest.

I think that is why Abu and Diallo hurt so much when they chose different schools. Those guys had UConn written all over them

C

Chief00

Woah woah woah, when people said this exact same thing several times throughout the 99 page circus that was his thread they got destroyed for it, how can you make such snap judgements based on a video? I mean he is twitter followers with Oz and the UConn Compliance office ffs.

This should be instructional to the casual fan that we need to get away from overcompensating regarding NCAA sanctions and APR nonsense. Let's start awarding scholarships again to guys who can play - not senior walk-ons guaranteed to graduate. Let's do away with this over involvement of compliance and class catalogues / schedules as part of the recruiting process. It doesn't work.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
This should be instructional to the casual fan that we need to get away from overcompensating regarding NCAA sanctions and APR nonsense. Let's start awarding scholarships again to guys who can play - not senior walk-ons guaranteed to graduate. Let's do away with this over involvement of compliance and class catalogues / schedules as part of the recruiting process. It doesn't work.

Chief just wants to see us banned from the tourney again. Got it.

Reaction Score
I don't think "degree of difficulty" is a badge of honor when it comes to recruiting.

Part of it is establishing the connections, which KO has done well with certain programs (though PSA couldn't get him Diallo, a huge miss). The fact that KO has connections with these places is a credit to him.

Not to go all Cesspool, but it's the same argument about the Democratic primary. People said "ugh, Hillary, it's not fair that she already had the support of most of the Democratic Party". Well, yeah, that's the hard work of politics, that shouldn't be a mark against you.

Same with recruiting.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
After DHam and Hami I'm never going to eat ham again on the holidays. Ptwoowey to you @August_West. It's turkey on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter from now on.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Only two things. Wait until you're on this forum as long as some of us.

And yes I knew I was creating a straw man's argument that would have condemned the salient points. I had my reasons.

Just to further my point and hijack this thread so as not to bring up the other, frustration can lead to anger, which can lead to hate, which can lead to rage. And rage can lead to acts that we never would never think we could commit when we are at the frustration level. I deliberately chose that thread to over react because most of us won't head to rage over Rodney. I chose to over react to an over reaction by many. But if the stakes were more critical I have no doubt that a lot of folks who are decent would end up there. Just a caution for all of us to be alert to how easily it is to be dragged into the depths of rage.

Really liked your rebuttal about AB. I can accept that point of view with some nuances. He's not at the level of IQ as Rodney but he has developed.

And now back to Diallo. I don't think there would be nearly as much resentment if the situation was reversed between UConn and Kentucky. I'm hoping that someday it happens. For now we are holding our own against some very good programs. We still have a little bit of work to be number one but outside of the apr period we've been top ten.

Reaction Score
Only two things. Wait until you're on this forum as long as some of us.

And yes I knew I was creating a straw man's argument that would have condemned the salient points. I had my reasons.

Just to further my point and hijack this thread so as not to bring up the other, frustration can lead to anger, which can lead to hate, which can lead to rage. And rage can lead to acts that we never would never think we could commit when we are at the frustration level. I deliberately chose that thread to over react because most of us won't head to rage over Rodney. I chose to over react to an over reaction by many. But if the stakes were more critical I have no doubt that a lot of folks who are decent would end up there. Just a caution for all of us to be alert to how easily it is to be dragged into the depths of rage.

Really liked your rebuttal about AB. I can accept that point of view with some nuances. He's not at the level of IQ as Rodney but he has developed.

And now back to Diallo. I don't think there would be nearly as much resentment if the situation was reversed between UConn and Kentucky. I'm hoping that someday it happens. For now we are holding our own against some very good programs. We still have a little bit of work to be number one but outside of the apr period we've been top ten.

I don't want to make this too long, because I'm obviously not going to change your mind.

First of all "Wait until you're on this forum as long as some of us" is just an asinine thing to say. You should know better. I've been lurking on this board for years, probably more than is healthy. It's ridiculous and ad hominem attacks like this which turn reasonable people off from this board so we end up with a bunch of JSM and Chief type characters. Being on this board for longer does not, in any way, entitle you to a better opinion than my own. This comment alone has made me lose respect for you as a poster. Up until this point you were pretty reasonable, even if I disagreed.

I know you had your reasons to create a straw man argument, but that doesn't mean those reasons make any sense if you actually want to convince people you are correct. I work in the humanities in academia; I'm certainly not an expert, but this is rhetoric 101 type thinking here.

Where is anyone talking about hate or rage towards Rodney Purvis? This is just a crazy, crazy argument you're making, man. I realize that in life, politics and prejudices can lead to anger and hate. I'm about as pragmatic a liberal as it gets. You are correct when you make this point, but the point is not applicable to this situation. Anyone who is claiming that Purvis deserves to be the first casualty in a modern-day holocaust should be removed from this board.

I mean, I don't generally read the post game threads where the wackos tend to come out, but most reasonable people (like me, I hope) are frustrated at Purvis lack of BBIQ (or whatever you want to call it) when other parts of his game have improved up until this point. As of last year, he had steadily increased his production. He's being asked to do more this year and failing to meet the challenge IMO. He's a great, great ambassador to the program, but his limitations when it comes to game time are aggravating to fans like myself. Love the kid, disappointed in the play.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't want to make this too long, because I'm obviously not going to change your mind.

First of all "Wait until you're on this forum as long as some of us" is just an asinine thing to say. You should know better. I've been lurking on this board for years, probably more than is healthy. It's ridiculous and ad hominem attacks like this which turn reasonable people off from this board so we end up with a bunch of JSM and Chief type characters. Being on this board for longer does not, in any way, entitle you to a better opinion than my own. This comment alone has made me lose respect for you as a poster. Up until this point you were pretty reasonable, even if I disagreed.

I know you had your reasons to create a straw man argument, but that doesn't mean those reasons make any sense if you actually want to convince people you are correct. I work in the humanities in academia; I'm certainly not an expert, but this is rhetoric 101 type thinking here.

Where is anyone talking about hate or rage towards Rodney Purvis? This is just a crazy, crazy argument you're making, man. I realize that in life, politics and prejudices can lead to anger and hate. I'm about as pragmatic a liberal as it gets. You are correct when you make this point, but the point is not applicable to this situation. Anyone who is claiming that Purvis deserves to be the first casualty in a modern-day holocaust should be removed from this board.

I mean, I don't generally read the post game threads where the wackos tend to come out, but most reasonable people (like me, I hope) are frustrated at Purvis lack of BBIQ (or whatever you want to call it) when other parts of his game have improved up until this point. As of last year, he had steadily increased his production. He's being asked to do more this year and failing to meet the challenge IMO. He's a great, great ambassador to the program, but his limitations when it comes to game time are aggravating to fans like myself. Love the kid, disappointed in the play.
I was only joking with you regarding the first statement. Sorry if it came across as anything else.

Second paragraph I agree.

I've been at games where fans lose control and barrage the kids with abuse. I'm concerned how far a group of people want to take their disappointment of this season and focus only on one player and ignore the multitude of other problems. If you reread my original post I made the statement that posters anger towards Rodney is not in the same category as the treatment of Jews by the Germans. It was a stretch to focus on human behavior in general in that thread which is why I agree with your second paragraph above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom