Moe Petrus On Crowd Booing | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Moe Petrus On Crowd Booing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I know this is just repeating what has already been said, but it doesn't matter why you are booing....the players see it as booing them and not supporting them. Take it for what it's worth. I would never boo my team, even in the worst of times.

Reaction Score
Who the hell are you to be calling Coach P a moran? What exactly are your football credentials? !% percent of his football knowledge dwarfs your knowledge of the game I am willing to bet.
You guessed . Played my entire life from the time I was in 2nd grade all the way up through college. MLB in Collge in basic 4/4 , 3/4 packages. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the game.

More importantly, I'd give a whole lot more credit to the avid football fan than you. Just peruse the commentary (whether you agree or not) and you will find there are more than a few pretty tuned in people on this site.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about the fact that the team played much better after they were booed? Does that factor in the equation?
'

Reaction Score
What about the fact that the team played much better after they were booed? Does that factor in the equation?
'

Yeah, not the coaching adjustments. It was the booing. I'm sure Moe Petrus doesn't think the booing helped.

Reaction Score
UC08...you ever think booing college kids can maybe lite a fire under their ass... You moron or should I just call you a pansy, sir

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"Yeah, not the coaching adjustments. It was the booing. I'm sure Moe Petrus doesn't think the booing helped."

Obviously you don't get it. When the players heard the booing,, they begged HCPP to make adjustments. It also got him to make them stop fumbling and throwing interceptions. Luckily, SU didn't think the booing was for them so they became complacent and their QB threw a key interception and clearly their coach failed to make adjustments. In case anyone failed to notice, UConn was moving the ball in the first half reasonably well absent the turnovers. I did think the blowing of scoring chances would come back to bite them, but they showed a lot of character.

And in terms of college kids being less than perfect,, did anyone happen to catch the Giants-Pats? The QBs and the other guys who screwed up aren't exactly chopped liver. A little perspective never hurts.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with booing college kids. If you can't handle booing, you shouldn't be playing sports. I also agree the booing wasn't so much for Mcentee as it was more for pp to make a change that he has been so hesitant to make. And yes I will boo every time a qb like jmac ducks or hurries a throw because he is afraid to take a hit. This is d1 college football and you better be tough or the crowd will let a coach know it's time for a change. By the way you non booer crybabies are the ones who are starting to make this country soft.
Boooooo Hooooo!. There is a reason for the association of these two words. It can be argued that people booing are a bunch of spoiled crybabies that need to be energized by external events because they lack the ability to generate their own self satisfaction. This is a tremendous weakness and probably more likely to cause a country to go soft.

Self confident and self satisfied people can easily stay emotionally unaffected by external events. These are the strong individuals. They have character and self discipline. This is different than people who feel the pressure to act a certain way. These are composed individuals and balanced people.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Self confident and self satisfied people can easily stay emotionally unaffected by external events.

So now we know who those knobs are that stay seated and quiet on third down. Life's winners!

Reaction Score
My voice was shot, but I would have been booing for the 1st time ever. Not at the players, but at the decisions to keep the players in the game when they clearly were not getting the job done. So I guess that's the coaches. The coaching was atrocious, I wanted to scream when there was a couple of minutes left in the 1st half and we were punting the ball from deep in our end with about 20 seconds left on the play clock. That's when I completely lost it.

If that makes me classless, a moron, or a big meany, whatever. This isn't pee-wee football and you don't get participant ribbons.

Reaction Score
I didn't boo Saturday, I wanted too. It was probably the closest I've come to booing at a college game. 5 turnovers in one half?! With what passes for average play in the big east we could have been up 21-7 or better at halftime. Repeated mental mistakes, poor play, and a team we'd all hate to lose to, means some people are gonna boo. I don't know if was more pissed off or sick to my stomach and generally feeling helpless and hopeless at the thought we'd blow another very winnable game.

I mostly agree with the argument that people shouldn't boo college athletes. I don't understand the need to call them "kids" when making the argument. Those aren't kids out there, with the exception of (maybe) a couple of 17 year olds, they are adults. Not only that, but it isn't uncommon to hear them refer to road trips as "business trips", or hear them echo the coach's sentiments that it's a business and they should treat the game that way. This isn't middle or high school, these are big boys. I'm not arguing that because they can (or should be able to) handle it, that makes it ok to boo them, it doesn't. But it doesn't make someone who decided to boo the piss poor play from McEntee a child abuser either, just someone less inclined to keep their frustration to themsleves, or unable to find a better way to vent.

The silver lining is the early boos make the cheers and standing ovation from the fans near the tunnel at the end of the game much sweeter.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So now we know who those knobs are that stay seated and quiet on third down. Life's winners!
Not necessarily. Those individuals either feel compelled to act a certain way (appropriate behavior) or they lack the energy to show emotion. I'm a strong advocate of cheering and excitement. But I'm also a strong advocate of controlling our emotions and not letting them control us. So scream and cheer all you want at a sporting event, as far as I'm concerned, because that is great for the body.

Expression is healthy but healthiest when it doesn't intrude on someone else. We can't always get a consensus on this. We are a society with diverse biology and upbringing. So we'll always argue what is appropriate behavior.

Booing is an expression and it lets us get out steam. But it has a negative impact on people it is being directed at. Creating a negative impact on people you would prefer seeing doing well is counter productive. It is not logical. So if it is not logical to impact a desired result negatively, then why do it. The reason is we lack control over ourselves. We've developed sloppy habits. We cave into feeling that go against logic.

Reaction Score
I'll call bullsh!t on anyone claiming that the booing was directed at P. I'll also be right, so don't bother trying to argue about it.

EX, you and a lot of posters here argue against facts not put in evidence. Not claiming anything about what actually happened at the game, if you can read the minds of everyone BOOOOOOOing there I'll take your word for it. I was BOOOOOOing in New Orleans at my high def tv - and I know who I was BOOOOOing, so don't bother trying to ask me to prove it.

Reaction Score
EX, you and a lot of posters here argue against facts not put in evidence. Not claiming anything about what actually happened at the game, if you can read the minds of everyone BOOOOOOOing there I'll take your word for it. I was BOOOOOOing in New Orleans at my high def tv - and I know who I was BOOOOOing, so don't bother trying to ask me to prove it.

Many people talk to their tv during games (myself included). This is the first time I've heard anyone admit they boo at their tv.

Strange. ;)

Reaction Score
Many people talk to their tv during games (myself included). This is the first time I've heard anyone admit they boo at their tv.

Strange. ;)

Strange? Have you been talkn' to my wife?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"So now we know who those knobs are that stay seated and quiet on third down. Life's winners!"

"UC08...you ever think booing college kids can maybe lite a fire under their ass... You moron or should I just call you a pansy, sir"

Two totally brilliant statements.
There is a big difference between supporting the team by standing and cheering on the one hand and booing on the other. If one is booing a kid who is trying his best, yeah, that is a classless moron. I hope y'all don't manage a business or otherwise sit in a situation where you have to motivate people if that is what you think motivates young people. If you want to yell at the coach, try yelling at the coach if that will do any good. At least someone can figure out who you're dissatisfied with. As can be seen from this thread, some "booers" are claiming they were booing the coach, and a few are honest enough to say they were booing the deserving D1 kids who have to take whatever stupid reaction some poor, unhappy customers feel they deserve. So who are we to believe? Obviously Petrus thought the booing was aimed at the team, so maybe those of you who were meaning to boo the coach can send a clarifying text-boo.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about Johnny Mac that you may want to remember next time you feel inclined to "Boo". He's a walk on. He was probably offered a full scholarship, but turned it down in favor of a kid who was more financially in need. That's a classy guy right there!

Reaction Score
'
Does that mean your GF or wife or BF which ever the case may be, tends to cook a bit better after you beat him/her?

Reaction Score
Here's the thing about Johnny Mac that you may want to remember next time you feel inclined to "Boo". He's a walk on. He was probably offered a full scholarship, but turned it down in favor of a kid who was more financially in need. That's a classy guy right there!

Who said Johnny Mac wasn't a hard working, classy kid? I haven't seen that anywhere in these posts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Those individuals either feel compelled to act a certain way (appropriate behavior) or they lack the energy to show emotion. I'm a strong advocate of cheering and excitement. But I'm also a strong advocate of controlling our emotions and not letting them control us. So scream and cheer all you want at a sporting event, as far as I'm concerned, because that is great for the body.

Expression is healthy but healthiest when it doesn't intrude on someone else. We can't always get a consensus on this. We are a society with diverse biology and upbringing. So we'll always argue what is appropriate behavior.

Booing is an expression and it lets us get out steam. But it has a negative impact on people it is being directed at. Creating a negative impact on people you would prefer seeing doing well is counter productive. It is not logical. So if it is not logical to impact a desired result negatively, then why do it. The reason is we lack control over ourselves. We've developed sloppy habits. We cave into feeling that go against logic.

What's with all of this "we" ? Speak for yourself, Mr. Spock.

Reaction Score
x1000000000

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Haha, no way he turned down a scholly. Where did you come up with this?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
What's with all of this "we" ? Speak for yourself, Mr. Spock.
At least I didn't accuse you Mr. McCoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro