Moe Petrus On Crowd Booing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Moe Petrus On Crowd Booing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe people have the right to boo, but I agree with other posters that I just find it pretty classless. You think these kids "know" you're booing for Coach P? You think as Johnny Mac is booed off the field, he's like, "Oh, hey, they're probably just booing the coach for believing in me." This kid doesn't even have a scholarship.

I may not agree with everything that Coach P does, or I may think every person on the field deserves to be a starter, but they're all busting their butts, week in and week out, and I just don't get how people can rationalize raining boos down on these kids and acting like it's an adult thing to do.

Reaction Score
you pay for your ticket.....and these aren't 5 year olds, they're mostly 20 (and in Petrus's case 26), they can handle a little boo birds, give me a break

They're still developing out there. You can see improvement. I've seen future hall-of-famers get booed. Michigan fans used to boo Brady.

Reaction Score
If it was your kid out there you would think differently. Some parents get there are a lot of educated fans (idiots is what some think) but many feel it. They now how hsrd their kids work year round.

Pretty pathetic seeing people booing kids and then trying defend it.

I guess if Michigan fans cheered a player from the opposing getting hurt makes it ok. Please....

Reaction Score
You can't defend booing our players. But trying to justify it with that argument Husky68 gave about how paying for parking and beer gives you cover to do so is beyond weak.

Reaction Score
The booing was for PP. He's taking more heat than the CL &P CEO for attempting to field an offensive team. The utility company has actually produced more energy than Geriatric-wan-knob.

Do I boo players? Absolutely never. Do I MF stupid RE and PP decisions (starting QB decisions, failure to make QB changes over the years, failure to recruit playmakers, play calling, lack of aggressiveness)? Absolutely.

Reaction Score
I've never been one to boo, but I'm not sure its really a moral thing. I think I just find the sound of "booooo" to be kind of unnatural. I just groan.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
I was front row in the student section, the booing was because of both Coach P's decision to leave him in, and secondly on McEntee's actions or lack thereof at QB. I was certainly one person who was not acting negative when the team entered the tunnel at half, attempting to tell them to stick with it and it's only half and things can change real soon. Not that I'm a pep-talk giver at all. A note: Johnny Mac went through the tunnel with his head down so fans wouldn't see it was him. Not sure if others caught that or not.

Reaction Score
For the record I didn't boo and I don't ever. However that said - I was in the military at age 18. My 21 year old "kid" has been in the military for a year. When we stop sending those "kids" to war in foreign countries to die, then I'll stop worrying about hurting the feelings of these "kids" playing a freaking game. Get over it.

Reaction Score
You can't defend booing our players. But trying to justify it with that argument Husky68 gave about how paying for parking and beer gives you cover to do so is beyond weak.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Oh, I hope coach P didn't cry cause I boooed him for stealing money from Uconn for claiming to be a Head Coach. Still think he will cash his weekly $20,000 paycheck, even if he is emotionally scared. You said boo players, I said "boo when I see the need." I think coach P is BOOOOOOOable as the highest paid employee of Ct not named Jim or Geno.

Reaction Score
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Oh, I hope coach P didn't cry cause I boooed him for stealing money from Uconn for claiming to be a Head Coach. Still think he will cash his weekly $20,000 paycheck, even if he is emotionally scared. You said boo players, I said "boo when I see the need." I think coach P is BOOOOOOOable as the highest paid employee of Ct not named Jim or Geno.

I join you in Booing Coach PP. He's a big boy and wants the big paychecks, and he has performed like plain and simple. As for the kids, they owe us nothing and they give all they got. So, if you must boo make sure its clearly directed at the moron the Organge was smart enough to dump. That means basically booing during his stadium interview. As for Mac, I really feel bad for the kid. He is not terrible. He is not great either. He can throw the ball well when he has time. When he is rushed, he has real problems. Scotty made some serious errors out there and is no savior. Perhaps, we ought to give Mac a little support from the stands.

Some on this board hear no evil, see no evil and are basically quick to attack anybody unless their selling sunshine. Don't let them get to you. They are just reactionary attack dogs and get their kicks by putting people down.

Reaction Score
I join you in Booing Coach PP. He's a big boy and wants the big paychecks, and he has performed like plain and simple. As for the kids, they owe us nothing and they give all they got. So, if you must boo make sure its clearly directed at the moron the Organge was smart enough to dump. That means basically booing during his stadium interview. As for Mac, I really feel bad for the kid. He is not terrible. He is not great either. He can throw the ball well when he has time. When he is rushed, he has real problems. Scotty made some serious errors out there and is no savior. Perhaps, we ought to give Mac a little support from the stands.

Some on this board hear no evil, see no evil and are basically quick to attack anybody unless their selling sunshine. Don't let them get to you. They are just reactionary attack dogs and get their kicks by putting people down.
Who the hell are you to be calling Coach P a moran? What exactly are your football credentials? !% percent of his football knowledge dwarfs your knowledge of the game I am willing to bet.

Reaction Score
I just can't understand why anyone thinks it's okay to boo college kids.

Also, booing immediately after an incomplete pass is booing the players. You might intend the boo for the coaching staff, but booing isn't a particularly nuanced form of communication. Everyone is going to interpret it as disapproval of whatever the hell just happened a second ago.

Reaction Score
I don't see why you create that atmosphere in your home stadium. It sucks. Carl had a good phrase for you people - negative energy suckers. Congrats that you just voiced your displeasure at kids playing a game, champ, you really showed them!

Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with booing college kids. If you can't handle booing, you shouldn't be playing sports. I also agree the booing wasn't so much for Mcentee as it was more for pp to make a change that he has been so hesitant to make. And yes I will boo every time a qb like jmac ducks or hurries a throw because he is afraid to take a hit. This is d1 college football and you better be tough or the crowd will let a coach know it's time for a change. By the way you non booer crybabies are the ones who are starting to make this country soft.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with booing college kids. If you can't handle booing, you shouldn't be playing sports. I also agree the booing wasn't so much for Mcentee as it was more for pp to make a change that he has been so hesitant to make. And yes I will boo every time a qb like jmac ducks or hurries a throw because he is afraid to take a hit. This is d1 college football and you better be tough or the crowd will let a coach know it's time for a change. By the way you non booer crybabies are the ones who are starting to make this country soft.

I'm just pi*sed I missed your first 7 posts......sir.

Reaction Score

You, sir, are a moron.

Reaction Score
I actually thought the booing was coming from fans trying to scare the juice out of the orange. :(
But seriously, the only time it's okay to boo at a college game is when an official makes an incorrect call. Unless of course you have a qb named Boomer. And speaking of Boomer, I bet Edsall would like to have him back in his huddle about now.

Reaction Score
I am definitely not opposed to booing college kids. I, very often, in the 2010 basketball season, booed the men's team because it was very clear they were not putting forth the effort needed to win games. That team was incredibly talented, yet they could only squeak by the weakest of weak basketball teams. And certainly, it wasn't coaching that was the issue...because as we now know...the next year, UConn won a national championship.

Booing high school athletes - that's soft. NBut college...college is big time. And not just any college, they play for THE UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT. This is not Joe Schmo State. Coming to a big state school - you're expected to perform and do it on the big stage. If you didn't want criticism, play for a JUCO. But guess what Moe Petrus...tough nuts, you're on TV every week. So whether it's in the stadium or in the blogosphere...someone will be always be booing...and you just need to learn to take that negativism and spur it into a drive for something better.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I simply can't boo college kids

I can however, beg for coaches to be fired

Reaction Score
No reason to boo JMac. He's worked hard and taken a real beating in some of our games this year. Under slightly different circumstances he'd have a winning record right now. I give him credit for coming out and picking things up in the second half and helping us get a nice win.

On the other hand the first half was a mess and I understand the frustration. Some groans were in order, but not insults ever. The people that show up are fans and supporters, but I wouldn't expect unconditional love if I were a player. I think they'll get over it and those same people will cheer their success and their efforts..

Reaction Score

I'll call bullsh!t on anyone claiming that the booing was directed at P. I'll also be right, so don't bother trying to argue about it.

Reaction Score
One of these morality discussions about what's acceptable behavior in the stands always pops up at any level of sports where fans are present. The worst are parents watching at youth sports, wouldn't believe some of the things you can hear, and you're talking aobut little kids now, that actually listen to and respect parents and adult figures, rather than teenagers, and young adults. I've seen parents get into fist fights at youth sports, many times.

Figure out what your own level of right and wrong is, and be considerate of others around you, and find like minded people to surround you.

You just hope that anybody that's going to be vocal enough to be loud and aggressive when they perceive something bad happening, is going to be just as vocal, if not louder, when something good happens.

It's the people that come to games and only have the negative energy that really perplex me. There aren't that many though, and a good crowd can shut them up.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How are the players supposed to know that the booing isn't aimed at them. Is it a higher pitched boo or something? I was there and while I felt like booing, I didn't.

As far as McEntee goes, he is far from totally inept. He is actually pretty good toward the center of the field. not so great on the sideline passes. Which gets to calling plays that suit the player's abilities. So far as I can tell, we have tight ends who are very good at catching the ball over the middle and in traffic. There is nothing wrong featuring tight-ends, with enough side-line or even short patterns in the flat to keep defenses honest.
I am not arguing against McCummings, because, in fairness to him,, he is hardly ever asked to throw, so who knows how effective he can be as a dual threat QB. It would be fine with me if he were given the opportunity. Arguably, all he has to be is about as effective a passer as McEntee to keep his running ability from being over-played and neutralized. Maybe the coaching staff doesn't think he is close enough to Johnnie as a passer, which if so, is too bad. If he is,, he should be used more and more and with more passing plays called for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom