Mo: Pedroia over Cano | The Boneyard

Mo: Pedroia over Cano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He didn't say he was better did he??????

Read it again……..he plays harder. He's NOT better………most understand that!

Reaction Score

What he did say, however, is that if he had his pick of second baseman to be playing behind him, it would be Pedroia. No one plays harder than Pedroia and he inspires his teammates. There is a lot to be said about that. If Cano had the heart of Pedroia, the Mariners underpaid him. If Pedroia had the talent of Cano, they'd be naming candy bars after him.

Reaction Score
That sort of talk by Rivera is not going to make some Yankees footy-pajama wearing fans happy. But who do they attack? Can't be Saint Mo. The media? Pedroia?

Reaction Score
Mo can be outspoken now that his career is over and he won't have to answer in front of 100 cameras if he were to make similar comments during his career. Don't be shocked to hear Jeter be outspoken at this time next year.

Reaction Score
That sort of talk by Rivera is not going to make some Yankees footy-pajama wearing fans happy. But who do they attack? Can't be Saint Mo. The media? Pedroia?

Obsessed much?, this thread was started by a Sox fan btw.

Reaction Score
What he did say, however, is that if he had his pick of second baseman to be playing behind him, it would be Pedroia. No one plays harder than Pedroia and he inspires his teammates. There is a lot to be said about that. If Cano had the heart of Pedroia, the Mariners underpaid him. If Pedroia had the talent of Cano, they'd be naming candy bars after him.

Ok here's what I say in this day of baseball…..Cano is mine, he's better and we know that and who cares about how hard he plays? I mean I could have Papi on my team who has never run a group ball out in his life right?

Reaction Score

Mo implied pretty clearly that Cano is more talented, but just doesn't have the desire and fire that Pedroia does. And I'm sure that Mo isn't the only one to feel that way. A Yankee coach said after the season that he repeatedly talked to Cano about his lack of hustle running to first without effect.

Really interesting question is how one defines "better." Clearly Mo is old-school and loves DP's hustle. Yet even so, Cano was statistically the better player last year, close as fielders and without question as a hitter.

Another interesting thought - you could hypothesize that Mo is trying to goad Cano for Robbie's own benefit.

Reaction Score
Ok here's what I say in this day of baseball…..Cano is mine, he's better and we know that and who cares about how hard he plays? I mean I could have Papi on my team who has never run a group ball out in his life right?
I care about how much effort the players put into the game. I like to see hustle and I like to see players who clearly want to win. Pete Rose hustled all the time. He even ran to first on walks. No one wanted to win more than Paul O'Niell. I liked that and I think you do too.;)

Reaction Score
I care about how much effort the players put into the game. I like to see hustle and I like to see players who clearly want to win. Pete Rose hustled all the time. He even ran to first on walks. No one wanted to win more than Paul O'Niell. I liked that and I think you do too.;)

Yes I do like that but you guys clearly like Papi right? Why?………here's a guy who doesn't even have to go out on to the field and he has never finished running out a ground ball that was fielded cleanly has he?

We liked Cano, he was ours and he was as talented as any player in the game……but he didn't put his ALL into everything we know that! The game comes pretty easy to him, especially in the field where he makes plays no one else can but also nonchalant's easy plays which turn to miscues!

Reaction Score
to be clear Mo is saying that while Cano COULD be the better player, he is not. Hence he would take Pedroia over Cano in a winner take all scenario.
If NY fans want to crap all over the Almighty's opinion that's fine with me. Entertaining either way.

Reaction Score

No he didn't say Pedroia was better because Cano is clearly the more talented player. I'd also rather have Pedroia because the guy plays hard and competes on every play and that isn't a Sox thing. I don't know what it is with Cano. If you look at his numbers the guy is a terrific player compared to Pedroia: better range, more power, etc. but something is missing. He doesn't run out routine ground balls but I don't have as much problems as some with that because a lot of good players don't. It could be the leadership gap that disturbs Mariano.

Reaction Score
The idea that Cano has better range is simply untrue. pedroia consistently beats Cano in several key defensive metrics.

Reaction Score
The idea that Cano has better range is simply untrue. pedroia consistently beats Cano in several key defensive metrics.
Cano has a stronger arm and I do think he has more range when he decides to hustle. Pedroia is better at turning the DP but other than that talent wise Cano is the better player.
I'd take Pedroia in a heartbeat. His hustle and tenacity can be contagious and you know he will play hard on every play. I don't think you can say that about Cano and playing hard does matter.

Reaction Score

I doubt it's close honestly but you can keep thinking all this diving means he has great range and I'll be realistic. He's damn good and is a dirt devil, would love him if he was mine but many plays Cano makes when he "feels up to it" are not attainable by Pedey…..like it or not!

Reaction Score
Cano has a stronger arm and I do think he has more range when he decides to hustle. Pedroia is better at turning the DP but other than that talent wise Cano is the better player.
I'd take Pedroia in a heartbeat. His hustle and tenacity can be contagious and you know he will play hard on every play. I don't think you can say that about Cano and playing hard does matter.

Agree……..although their both really good turning the DP and I don't see too much difference other than maybe Cano's arm strength……glove to hand and release for both guys are lightning…….

Reaction Score
I doubt it's close honestly but you can keep thinking all this diving means he has great range and I'll be realistic. He's damn good and is a dirt devil, would love him if he was mine but many plays Cano makes when he "feels up to it" are not attainable by Pedey…..like it or not!
What makes you think this? Because Pedroia pretty much blows him away with defensive metrics. Defensive metrics don't use eyeballs to see smoothness or diving for plays.

Reaction Score
I do agree Cano has a great arm and is great at having a quick release on DP's.

Reaction Score
What makes you think this? Because Pedroia pretty much blows him away with defensive metrics. Defensive metrics don't use eyeballs to see smoothness or diving for plays.

You're screwed up if you think he "blows him away"…..shove the metrics up your a** and watch the game…….they are both real good but Cano makes plays NO other 2nd baseman can make. Does he get nonchalant? Hell yeah but without that it's not close….Cano is a better player in every way unless you're a Sox fan with blinders on!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You're screwed up if you think he "blows him away"…..shove the metrics up your a* and watch the game…….they are both real good but Cano makes plays NO other 2nd baseman can make. Does he get nonchalant? Hell yeah but without that it's not close….Cano is a better player in every way unless you're a Sox fan with blinders on!

I think the sample size is large enough to determine that Cano's "nonchalant-ness" is a part of his game. Rivera didn't make his comparison in a vacuum. You can't separate the two. It reminds me of the movie Rudy when Ara Parseghian is depicted as dressing down Jamie O'Hara (Vince Vaughn's character) by telling him if he had half the heart as Ruettiger he'd be an All-American.

It takes more than just natural ability to be considered the best. One has to have the Want To to use that ability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It reminds me of the movie Rudy when Ara Parseghian is depicted as dressing down Jamie O'Hara (Vince Vaughn's character by telling him if he had half the heart as Ruettiger he's be an All-American.

That was Vince Vaughn? Really?

Cool...

Reaction Score
I think the sample size is large enough to determine that Cano's "nonchalant-ness" is a part of his game. Rivera didn't make his comparison in a vacuum. You can't separate the two. It reminds me of the movie Rudy when Ara Parseghian is depicted as dressing down Jamie O'Hara (Vince Vaughn's character) by telling him if he had half the heart as Ruettiger he'd be an All-American.

It takes more than just natural ability to be considered the best. One has to have the Want To to use that ability.

The numbers also are better……..does that work for you 25?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom