Mo-aholic thread new start | The Boneyard

Mo-aholic thread new start

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just thought I would start a new thread as the other was getting a little oversized. So ...
Updates for game 24
Rebounds 5, Steals 1, Assist 5, Points 14

Update for game 25:
Rebounds 1, Steals 2, Assist 5, Points 18

Totals:
72 (2.9), 68 (2.7), 133 (5.3), 261 (10.4)
Projections:
Rebounds 116, Steals 108, Assists 213, and Points 417

New personal record for points in a game this time around - hitting 6-9 FG and 2-3 3s and 4-4 FT. Her percentages are now .586, .340, and .755 - very respectable. A few more games like that and she will be at 60% and 40%. She is becoming a reliable scoring threat and her confidence to take and make threes is obvious. As well as her ability to get to and finish at the rim. And with that, Uconn really does have all five starters as legitimate scoring threats. Bad news ... she had 3 turnovers. Good news she was instrumental in shutting down Shonni in the first half.
Meanwhile Bria had a minor set-back in her current torrid stretch from the 3 - going 1-5 though still hitting 5-11 for 12 points.
And Stewart has stayed hot.
And Stef had a great all around game.
And KML does not appear to be badly injured after a great first half.
And the team continues with the assists racking up another 22.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
With 3 to's she will be back in Geno's dog house. :p

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We worried about Shoni w/o Kelly…no worries.
The difference between this year and last is Mo's electric presence in virtually all aspects of the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I also noticed the drive when Mo was fouled by Schimmel and ended up against the basket support - Shoni was the first to get to her and check she was OK and pull her up. Thought it was another nice gesture.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
She seems to get better every game! Where will it all end?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It was great to see the high respect level for Mo, both by Shonni and also Walz. Didn't think about the possible USA BB connection but it stands to reason that a girl like Mo would make close friendships and garner respect everywhere :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Updates for game 24

Update for game 25:

Updates for game 26:
Rebounds 8, Steals 1, Assists 8, Points 12, BLOCKS 1

Totals:
80 (3.1), 69 (2.7), 141 (5.4), 273 (10.5)
Projections:
Rebounds 123, Steals 107, Assists 227, and Points 420

So Moriah had another great game and another block to bring her total to 6 on the year. I actually though she and Stewart shared another block but it ended up being called a double dribble. She had a monster rebounding game with eight giving her a little breathing space on that stat as well as on assists. And the points came just slightly less efficiently than normal - going 3-8 from the field but with 4-4 from the line. She was 2-3 from three. So her shooting percent dropped to .577 but she has now raised her 3 pt percentage to .358 - a very respectable number though on a fairly limited number of attempts. The bad news - 4 turnovers and it could have been more had the possession arrow been in the other direction when she got tied up twice. Geno was quoted as saying he would rather have eight assist and 3 or 4 turnovers than 3 and 1 so he got his wish but I doubt Moriah sees it that way. (I think we had a mojo offense in the game thread when someone noted 5 assists and zero TOs midway through the first half!:mad::cool:) Another disturbing trend is on steals - while she is still above the curve for getting to 100, the margin is getting narrower as it has been a while since she had 3 or more in a game. I thought she might have gotten credited with another on a deflected pass that she saved from going out of bounds but it either went to the deflector or was just classed a turnover and not a steal.
The team shot 'only' 47% on the game slightly below their average, but the biggest reason for the low scoring affair was the pace of the game - Uconn only took 47 shots total, making 22 and assisting on 18. Uconn was averaging 64 attempts per game coming into this contest. Except for a frenetic start both coaches were content to run a patient half court offense leading to fewer offensive possession than normal. Uconn was also a little above its season average with 14 turnovers, though they were below average with only 8 fouls. Defensively they held the Bulls to 26% shooting and 38 points - good numbers - but also helped by the slower style of play.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Updates for game 24

Update for game 25:

Updates for game 26:
Rebounds 8, Steals 1, Assists 8, Points 12, BLOCKS 1

Totals:
80 (3.1), 69 (2.7), 141 (5.4), 273 (10.5)
Projections:
Rebounds 123, Steals 107, Assists 227, and Points 420

So Moriah had another great game and another block to bring her total to 6 on the year. I actually though she and Stewart shared another block but it ended up being called a double dribble. She had a monster rebounding game with eight giving her a little breathing space on that stat as well as on assists. And the points came just slightly less efficiently than normal - going 3-8 from the field but with 4-4 from the line. She was 2-3 from three. So her shooting percent dropped to .577 but she has now raised her 3 pt percentage to .358 - a very respectable number though on a fairly limited number of attempts. The bad news - 4 turnovers and it could have been more had the possession arrow been in the other direction when she got tied up twice. Geno was quoted as saying he would rather have eight assist and 3 or 4 turnovers than 3 and 1 so he got his wish but I doubt Moriah sees it that way. (I think we had a mojo offense in the game thread when someone noted 5 assists and zero TOs midway through the first half!:mad::cool:) Another disturbing trend is on steals - while she is still above the curve for getting to 100, the margin is getting narrower as it has been a while since she had 3 or more in a game. I thought she might have gotten credited with another on a deflected pass that she saved from going out of bounds but it either went to the deflector or was just classed a turnover and not a steal.
The team shot 'only' 47% on the game slightly below their average, but the biggest reason for the low scoring affair was the pace of the game - Uconn only took 47 shots total, making 22 and assisting on 18. Uconn was averaging 64 attempts per game coming into this contest. Except for a frenetic start both coaches were content to run a patient half court offense leading to fewer offensive possession than normal. Uconn was also a little above its season average with 14 turnovers, though they were below average with only 8 fouls. Defensively they held the Bulls to 26% shooting and 38 points - good numbers - but also helped by the slower style of play.
I like your stats but in fairness they should include to's.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I like your stats but in fairness they should include to's.
The start of this series of threads was based on Moriah becoming only the second player in Uconn history to hit the 100, 100, 200, 400 marks in a single season (Jen Rizzotti being the first.) So those were the stats I was maintaining. Someone jokingly complained that I was not keeping the blocks stats in Moriah's hunt to become the fourth player on the team to reach 50 so I added those in for a while. I have been keeping up the TO and A/TO rate in the commentary after most games. As well as following the number of fouls. Those stats year to date stand at:
Turnovers 45, TO/Gm 1.7, project 40 games 69
Fouls 37, Fouls/Gm 1.4, projected 40 games 57
A/TO = 3.13
Fouls are more important have more importance than many people really realize - low fouls keep you in the game but also decrease the chance for the opponent to shoot foul shots whether directly because of you foul or because of the bonus/double bonus during each half. Of the four starters with 600+ minutes Moriah has fouled the least with Bria at 42 next. Both outstanding for guards with the rule changes and playing sound defense. The difference between the two is I think Moriah has only had two fouls in the first half in one or two games, and I don't think she has ever gotten 4 in a game this year. Bria has had a few more games where she was in some foul trouble in the first half and during the whole game forcing Geno to sit her for a few minutes that he might not have otherwise done.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I honestly believe Mo is one of the top 2-3 PG's in the entire nation and will win the NLK award at least once, and possibly twice. She's a force.

Reaction Score
I watched Moriah tonight and that girl is fast, actually she is really fast, no, she is super fast. I didn't see her get beat off the dribble once. And their guards, Williams and #23(don't remember her name) were both very quick. She runs the floor with her head up looking for targets at all times. I would love to have a high speed camera on her because it would be great to slow down the film and actually see what she is doing. It seems at times she is going two different directions at once and I want to confirm that. Favorite play of the game was her block.

60 TO GO

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I almost always agree with Eric but he got it all wrong. In my opinion as a pure point guard she is the best in the country at this time. There may be better combo guards like Bria or Sims, but as a player tasked with leading her team, managing the offense, distributing the ball to scorers, being an efficient scorer in her own right, and playing inspiring defense she stands alone in 2014. There have been 13 games in 2014 and her stats in those games are:
Pts - 10.3
FG% - .618
3FG% - .478
FT% - .784
Rbds/gm - 3.4
Asst/gm - 6.2
TO/gm - 1.7
A/TO - 3.64
S/gm - 2.9
PF/gm - 0.9
And throw in 5 blocks in 31 minutes/gm. And if you go with a more conventional 'last ten games' the numbers are even more impressive:
Pts - 11.2
FG% - .631
3FG% - .579
FT% - .704
Rbds/gm - 3.6
Asst/gm - 6.8
TO/gm - 1.6
A/TO - 4.25
S/gm - 3.1
PF/gm - 1.0
I just don't know how it gets better than that. And you can say that the AAC isn't providing good enough competition but she actually has better stats in the three games against Baylor, Louisville and Rutgers than her average for either the last 10 games or all of 2014 - 12.7 ppg at 64%, 67% from three with 6 A/gm and 1 TO for a 6.0 A/TO, 3 steals and 3.7 rebounds a game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just one last item for the night. I have been concentrating these posts on the 100, 100, 200, 400 numbers, but I just realized with Moriah's current surge in assists she may seriously threaten Sue's team record of 231 assists in a year. Moriah has 141 assists and I do the 'projection' based on her YTD average and a possible 40 game season. But her last ten games she is averaging 6.8 assists per game and if she were to continue at that rate, she would have 95 more assists for 236 in a 40 game season. All speculation at this point, but one thing in favor of the continued surge in stats is the shorter bench. She is likely to be playing a couple more minutes a game through the end of the year than her 29.6 season average. More minutes equals more opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom