MNT's 2021 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

MNT's 2021

Reaction Score
It was a very ‘US’ win. We played physical, but Mexico looked more skilled in every aspect of the game, except set pieces. Our coaches need to figure out how to get this team to perform better. The talent on the field for the US is so much better than ‘Keep it close and hope we score on set pieces’.

Reaction Score
It was a very ‘US’ win. We played physical, but Mexico looked more skilled in every aspect of the game, except set pieces. Our coaches need to figure out how to get this team to perform better. The talent on the field for the US is so much better than ‘Keep it close and hope we score on set pieces’.
It just boggles my mind why we couldn’t really keep possession. Every time we strung a few passes together we threatened, but that was too few and far between. Have absolutely no clue why Musah didn’t see any minutes, he’s confident and strong with the ball. Same with Aaronson, would rather have him on than many of the guys. 4-3-3 has to be the formation but Dest needs to learn how to defend.

Reaction Score
We win with set pieces and goal keeping.
GGG really is American Pep. Why not go back to Bruce at this point

Reaction Score
We win with set pieces and goal keeping.
GGG really is American Pep. Why not go back to Bruce at this point

Caleb Porter and Peter Vermes would at least have them playing in a simple and coherent system.

Reaction Score
Starting McKenzie and Ream was a very bad move. But he won the game. The bigger issue is will he ever learn? Cannon, Robinson or even Miazga would have been better in the back.

There is friendly coming up in short order. Time to sort out the back line mess.

Reaction Score
Incredibly racist post, how does it get a like?

And they threw objects on the field and hit one of their own players. How stupid can you get. Homophobic chants, throwing bottles of pee and and incessant diving. Zero honor, they deserve zero respect. The USA is Mexico’s daddy.

Reaction Score
Starting McKenzie and Ream was a very bad move. But he won the game. The bigger issue is will he ever learn? Cannon, Robinson or even Miazga would have been better in the back.

There is friendly coming up in short order. Time to sort out the back line mess.

The lineup was poor. I’ll give GGG a B- for subs, it would be better if he got Ream out of there.

I think I am being really generous here. He literally subbed off Dest before Ream. Dest can play both sides. I don’t get it.

Nothing the USA did well came from the run of play. It was a free kicks and set pieces. While that’s nice. I’d like to have an offense and not just a good special teams.

This is a good win but there is a long way to go here. How hard is it to get the ball to Pulisic in space? Figure it out. The other teams will have to double mark him and then someone else will have more space.

Reaction Score
There is no excuse for the behavior of the Mexican fans. Period.

Let's not forget in the wake of 9-11 that the Mexican fans chanted "Osama, Osama, Osama." during our game in Mexico City.

Reaction Score
The lineup was poor. I’ll give GGG a B- for subs, it would be better if he got Ream out of there.

I think I am being really generous here. He literally subbed off Dest before Ream. Dest can play both sides. I don’t get it.

Nothing the USA did well came from the run of play. It was a free kicks and set pieces. While that’s nice. I’d like to have an offense and not just a good special teams.

This is a good win but there is a long way to go here. How hard is it to get the ball to Pulisic in space? Figure it out. The other teams will have to double mark him and then someone else will have more space.
Dest was just as bad as Ream last night.

Reaction Score
Dest was just as bad as Ream last night.
C'mon, reality has to come into this at some point. His run up the sideline last night was one of the best offensive moments of US play last night. If Dest had a more athletic partner than Ream on the left. He could have been much more dangerous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C'mon, reality have to come into this at some point. His run up the sideline last night was one of the best offensive moments of US play last night. If Dest had a more athletic partner than Ream on the left. He could have been much more dangerous.
He was invisible. He had one good run that’s great. He didn’t help on defense once, and he needed to because it was Ream behind him. He was so lackadaisical like he deserves better, all the reports and commentary I read/watched said the same thing. Ream was awful as well but at least he was trying.

Reaction Score
but he isn’t as slow. Did you not watch the game?

Not subbing off Ream is a fireable offense.
You’re looking for any excuse to fire him, and that’s fine. I don’t think he’s the guy that’s gonna take us to the next level either. But, he did just win a final against our biggest rivals, so unfortunately he’s here to stay for a while. Just gotta live with it.

Reaction Score
Mexico didn't impress me much and they were so much more dangerous than us. If GGG rolls this 11 out against the Dutch or equivalent second-tier Euro team or an aggressive pressing South American squad, we're looking at 5-0 at half.

Glaring holes I see:
  • For the big clubs our young guys play for, none are true focal points on offense. And those that impact the game (Pulisic) are surrounded by superior talent.
  • How many runs did Yedlin make up the flank where the ball never got to him, was passed too late or not on target? 2? 3? Why should he bust it 40-60 yards again if he's not rewarded?
  • Does McKennie elevate for 2 headers against back lines that run 6'2-6'4? Probably not.
  • Selection. Ream is not athletic enough. McKenzie was either too scared or simply had a horrible night. Acosta isn't good enough but got by. At least GGG didn't roll out Yuell.
  • Formation & style: Why are we asking these two above to work the ball out of the back like they're Kompany, Stones and van Dijk? And we don't have a deep-lying midfielder to hit diagonal balls/small connections either. Makes zero sense.
  • We don't have a real 8 or 10. McKennie and Adams play as destroyers for their clubs but are not relied upon to be facilitators. Yet we still try to play Barcelona ball with our nerve-inducing, lumbering back 3

Reaction Score
Mexico didn't impress me much and they were so much more dangerous than us. If GGG rolls this 11 out against the Dutch or equivalent second-tier Euro team or an aggressive pressing South American squad, we're looking at 5-0 at half.

Glaring holes I see:
  • For the big clubs our young guys play for, none are true focal points on offense. And those that impact the game (Pulisic) are surrounded by superior talent.
  • How many runs did Yedlin make up the flank where the ball never got to him, was passed too late or not on target? 2? 3? Why should he bust it 40-60 yards again if he's not rewarded?
  • Does McKennie elevate for 2 headers against back lines that run 6'2-6'4? Probably not.
  • Selection. Ream is not athletic enough. McKenzie was either too scared or simply had a horrible night. Acosta isn't good enough but got by. At least GGG didn't roll out Yuell.
  • Formation & style: Why are we asking these two above to work the ball out of the back like they're Kompany, Stones and van Dijk? And we don't have a deep-lying midfielder to hit diagonal balls/small connections either. Makes zero sense.
  • We don't have a real 8 or 10. McKennie and Adams play as destroyers for their clubs but are not relied upon to be facilitators. Yet we still try to play Barcelona ball with our nerve-inducing, lumbering back 3
Mckennie is great on headers in the Serie A, he’s just a beast in the air in general. I agree with everything you said though. Maybe Busio can be that 8 for us, hope to see in the Gold cup.

Reaction Score
Nothing improves until the back line improves.

You wonder why Pulisic dosn't get more touches? The back line can't get the ball to the midfield. How the hell is Pulisic suppose to get the ball? And people get mad at Dest when it's almost impossible for him to do what he does best because because Ream can't protect his back.

Improve the back line and every will move in the right direction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom