MLS Logo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MLS Logo

Reaction Score
MLS TV ratings down 8% compared to last season - World Soccer Talk

Meanwhile....

"While the news from ESPN and FOX Sports is rosier, last weekend’s TV numbers are concerning. The final Behind The Badge episode on West Brom that NBCSN aired on Sunday mid-afternoon had more viewers than the primetime FS1 MLS game between Toronto and Sporting KC on Friday.

Also the relegation battle between Middlesbrough and Swansea — two teams that do not have a lot of fans in the US — had more viewers for their early Sunday morning game on NBCSN than Friday night’s MLS game shown in primetime to the west coast between Seattle and Atlanta. That’s the same Seattle that is the current MLS champion. And Atlanta, who are the most exciting team in the league this season."

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Also the relegation battle between Middlesbrough and Swansea — two teams that do not have a lot of fans in the US — had more viewers for their early Sunday morning game on NBCSN than Friday night’s MLS game shown in primetime to the west coast between Seattle and Atlanta. That’s the same Seattle that is the current MLS champion. And Atlanta, who are the most exciting team in the league this season."
The part bolded above is the biggest reason why promotion/relegation matter. Not many would watch that game but the fact that it was a relegation battle made it interesting. I find MLS to be boring and honestly I have a hard time watching the product. However, I have no trouble turning on the TV to watch a random game from a major European League, especially if something is riding on it.

It really would be interesting to see what would happen to viewership if relegation was implemented. I'm not positive it would have a huge impact because it's really the product on the field that's no enjoyable to watch. However, it would help drive some viewership.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I also was surprised to see that the US and Australia are the only two FIFA nations that do not have a promotion/relegation system and that is somehow against some FIFA rule. In Australia's case, I'm not sure of they even have any lower divisions so that might explain why they don't have promotion/relegation?

Reaction Score
The part bolded above is the biggest reason why promotion/relegation matter. Not many would watch that game but the fact that it was a relegation battle made it interesting. I find MLS to be boring and honestly I have a hard time watching the product. However, I have no trouble turning on the TV to watch a random game from a major European League, especially if something is riding on it.

It really would be interesting to see what would happen to viewership if relegation was implemented. I'm not positive it would have a huge impact because it's really the product on the field that's no enjoyable to watch. However, it would help drive some viewership.

The regular season in MLS is meaningless. You have to really follow it to divine significance. That and really none of the teams have nation followings.

Reaction Score
Throw some match day LIRR service a la Foxboro for Pats games and we may be onto something here

Reaction Score
Throw some match day LIRR service a la Foxboro for Pats games and we may be onto something here

Virtually guaranteed regardless of which proposal is accepted. Belmont has a 4 platform station on a spur off the main line of the LIRR. You could have a train waiting after each game/match for all of the main branches, including in-bound to Penn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They won't risk their cash at the possibility of relegation. @LIuconn nailed it in his comment above; short and sweet. There is always going to be a "what's in it for me?" attitude from owners. It's their money on the line, I guess, so who am I to tell them differently?

Oh yeah, I'm the fan who they're making money from.... ;)

Why shouldn't there be? They made investments based on being in the league. That was the deal they signed up for. If you took the media deal, you'd need to pay back the entry fee to those owners, at a minimum. Those who built stadiums would also be at significant risk of significant financial loss.

I'm not saying that relegation wouldn't help, but it would require a completely different financial structure to the one that MLS was founded on. They'd need to end MLS and start a new league.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why shouldn't there be? They made investments based on being in the league. That was the deal they signed up for. If you took the media deal, you'd need to pay back the entry fee to those owners, at a minimum. Those who built stadiums would also be at significant risk of significant financial loss.

I'm not saying that relegation wouldn't help, but it would require a completely different financial structure to the one that MLS was founded on. They'd need to end MLS and start a new league.

All true, but... They should find a way to make it work. The league is stagnant, it's as good as it's going to get under the current model, "incremental improvement" is a myth. Without taking steps now I can't see how the league grows. They can a few add teams and pocket the franchise fees, then what? That ponzi scheme article was a real eye-opener to me.

Reaction Score

Realistically, even 4 Billion isn't enough to pay back franchise fees and set up relegation parachute payments.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I still think they should set up Promotion/Relegation in the lower levels. See how it plays out over a few years and then look at it for the highest level. If I were Tv networks I'd even consider suggesting that MLS and the USSF consider this if they want a better TV deal next go round.

Interest in MLS is there but the product has leveled off which is not a good thing because it's not watchable.

I know this is all wishful thinking and I can't foresee any network saying what I mentioned above. I also don't see the owners of any MLS club being ok with possibly losing their investment and voting for relegation.

However, I really do believe that interest at the lower levels would increase and could possibly show the MLS that they could increase fan interest more by having pro/rel.

The interest won't stay there forever if teams continue with their current product.

I know it's all wishful thinking but there's really no reason lower tier leagues can't implement pro/rel

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know this is all wishful thinking and I can't foresee any network saying what I mentioned above. I also don't see the owners of any MLS club being ok with possibly losing their investment and voting for relegation.

I think they are going to lose their investment eventually anyway without pro/reg.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom