MLS Logo | The Boneyard

MLS Logo

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
IMG_3711.PNG

For all the progress that MLS had made... how in the world do they have a worse logo than the average fake league in a mid 80's Nintendo game?

Reaction Score
It's generic and should go away. So is the Bundesliga logo. Love the current La Liga badge and old FA EPL logo

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's generic and should go away. So is the Bundesliga logo. Love the current La Liga badge and old FA EPL logo
The Bundesliga logo is sleek, clean, and minimalist. It looks sharp.

Reaction Score
View attachment 23328

For all the progress that MLS had made... how in the world do they have a worse logo than the average fake league in a mid 80's Nintendo game?

Another Don Garber fail. I would overlook it if he would stop being such a wuss and actually get the owners to bite on a respectable salary cap.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I think generic was what they were going for, so, it seems to work.

Don't hold your breath, the last logo (foot/ball) lasted about 17-18 years (1996). This one's only been around 3 (2014).

Reaction Score
Well I think generic was what they were going for, so, it seems to work.

Don't hold your breath, the last logo (foot/ball) lasted about 17-18 years (1996). This one's only been around 3 (2014).

That would require them to admit that they made a mistake.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Exactly. One of the many blind spots.
There are plenty of problems with MLS and lots of things they can fix/change. I wouldn't say their logo is in the top 100.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The league desperately needs promotion / relegation. It's a joke that they won't entertain it. All to protect a 150 million dollar entry fee for expansion candidates, as well as to further protect owners that are already invested in the league.

The MLS will never compete with bigger leagues until this change happens...

I don't know enough about MLS's preferences or the contracts they currently have in place, but they try to make it clear that they can't talk to anyone about media rights currently because of their current contracts. It doesn't mean that behind the scenes they aren't preparing to be able to meet such a requirement when the window opens.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't know enough about MLS's preferences or the contracts they currently have in place, but they try to make it clear that they can't talk to anyone about media rights currently because of their current contracts. It doesn't mean that behind the scenes they aren't preparing to be able to meet such a requirement when the window opens.

They won't risk their cash at the possibility of relegation. @LIuconn nailed it in his comment above; short and sweet. There is always going to be a "what's in it for me?" attitude from owners. It's their money on the line, I guess, so who am I to tell them differently?

Oh yeah, I'm the fan who they're making money from.... ;)

Reaction Score
MLS can make some domestic waves if they go the route of pro-rel. It's a risky proposition for the owners who model their franchise after Donald Sterling
  • The only thing better than a championship chase is the relegation battle (and second tier becomes relevant)
  • Have 1 team relegated in each conference each year (kinda protects major markets)
  • Eliminates tanking (and have the parachute payment the EPL does to help soften the blow - I'm not in favor of it but it may be the reality)
MLS ownership must be like that rental property that cash flows like crazy and doesn't require any maintenance. Tough to rock the boat with devaluing the investment

Reaction Score

So, I love what Silva did here. He really rattled everyone's cage and I like how with one simple act he showed how much sway MLS has over the development of the professional game in the US.

That being said, 4 Billion is not enough to cover the turbulence that Pro/Rel would cause. It works out to about 160 mil per MLS team over ten years, but with parachute payments and solidarity payments to the lower divisions, it would be MUCH lower.

Secondly, the USSF is who decides whether or not we have Pro/Rel and the USSF is basically controlled by MLS, so as long as that is the case we're not going to have it.

Reaction Score
MLS can make some domestic waves if they go the route of pro-rel. It's a risky proposition for the owners who model their franchise after Donald Sterling
  • The only thing better than a championship chase is the relegation battle (and second tier becomes relevant)
  • Have 1 team relegated in each conference each year (kinda protects major markets)
  • Eliminates tanking (and have the parachute payment the EPL does to help soften the blow - I'm not in favor of it but it may be the reality)
MLS ownership must be like that rental property that cash flows like crazy and doesn't require any maintenance. Tough to rock the boat with devaluing the investment

That's probably the best argument for Pro/Rel implementation.

The fact of the matter is that the domestic leagues are not as popular as the EPL, La Liga or even Liga Mx in the US. Just look at the crowds for some of the ICC matches.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'd like to see it instituted at the lower levels. If it's successful they can point to that for why it needs to be in the upper tier. I know it won't make the fat cat owners happy but so what.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I also believe that the league Hartford FC is in is considering Promotion/Relegation. I think they tweeted out an article discussing it being considered by their league and two others. Would definitely make it more interesting to watch games on their level knowing more then just a trophy is on the line

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom