MLS Expansion update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MLS Expansion update

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I could see MLS going to 32. 16 in each conference, and then you would have 4 unofficial divisions (scheduling pacts) per conference that do not affect seeding (top 8 per conference in playoffs played over two-legs except for MLS Cup final). You would play 34 games: one against everyother team, and two against your three "divisional" rivals. If LA FC, Atlanta, Miami FC, and Minnesota United are 21-24, my guess (hope) as to the other eight: San Antonio, St. Louis, Austin, San Francisco, San Diego, Detroit, Carolina (Research Triangle Area), and either Hartford or NY Cosmos.

Reaction Score
I could see MLS going to 32. 16 in each conference, and then you would have 4 unofficial divisions (scheduling pacts) per conference that do not affect seeding (top 8 per conference in playoffs played over two-legs except for MLS Cup final). You would play 34 games: one against everyother team, and two against your three "divisional" rivals. If LA FC, Atlanta, Miami FC, and Minnesota United are 21-24, my guess (hope) as to the other eight: San Antonio, St. Louis, Austin, San Francisco, San Diego, Detroit, Carolina (Research Triangle Area), and either Hartford or NY Cosmos.

Add Sacramento to your list, there are very serious. I doubt Hartford has a chance for better or worse, especially after the last fiasco, and I do not think that MLS will want 3 teams in the NYC area, especially as the second team is still trying to find a permanent home.

Reaction Score

They are going to 28 by 2020ish. Hartford doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell, unless some Billionaire or an established "Sports and Entertainment Group" steps in.

21. Minn-Independently owned
22. LAFC-Everyone West of the Mississippi is an owner
23. ATL-NFL Owner
24. St. Louis-Bass Pro Shops Owner? Rumored
25. Sacramento-NBA Owners
26. Detroit-NBA Owners
27. San Antonio-NBA Owners
28. Miami (If they ever get it together)

28 teams is about the next TV contract and paying back the guys who set fire to piles of cash in the early days of the league.

Reaction Score
One of these is not like the other:

Attendances:
FC Cincinnati 23,375
Montreal 20,801
DC United 19,632
Kansas 19,080
NE 18,997
Houston* 17,943
Columbus 15,023
Dallas 14,630

Status